Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• @ATM, I slipped from the wall whilst bouldering and broke my ankle. The doctors were very impressed as I managed to break a bone on the inside and they suspect from the swelling ruptured two tendons on the outside! High ankle sprain/Syndosmosis is what they think it is and they are quoting healing times of 3-6 months!

Have the cast taken off this Friday and am awaiting an MRI to see the tendons in more detail but think the first part of this years training may be on a bike or in a pool, or the way I ride probably on a bike which ends in someones swimming pool!

Been a hard year so far, I was on course for a sub 3:40 in Paris this year and cramped up in my left leg at about mile 22 so hobbled for the last 4 miles and finished in 3:54. Worst part was that a few weeks after I was diagnosed with Achilles Tendinopathy which they think was due to the pull on the achilles from the cramped calf so it stopped my running during the Summer to let it heal.

I'd only been back running a week when I broke my ankle so my total mileage since Paris is less than 40 which is less than I was doing in a week! I had to pull out of the GNR yesterday, although maybe I should have asked to transfer to a place in the wheelchair race.

So my goal is to not only be on the start line of Paris, but to also see the finish line quicker than I did last year.

Here's hoping!

• Dark Vader: I'm bib number 38340 and pen colour green.

• DV - thanks for being list fairy again. 

26347 - Purple pen.

Sub 4 or Die

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yer-maj: i agree with emma. If you have the confirmation -it'll be enough.

For all of the lurkers /newbies please introduce yourself and tell us your goals.

• Emma - there's a few people on here who have done Paris followed by VLM. if you get in (don't hold your breathimage ) I'm sure they can offer advice on that too. 

Whaqatac - ouch, mate. Fingers crossed

Odie & Brix - welcome image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

26086 - sub 4 or die. Violet 

Oh dear what have i got myself intoimage

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jings, Whaqatac...This is going to be interesting. I'll keep my fingers crossed, too...* which will give me a handy' out' on the old spelling/typos front..ehwhqol lq * And there are lots of us who would kill for 3.54 image

List Fairy? Violet 26220 * no sniggering...*

• Hi

I've entered Paris Marathon this morning, had no problems at all entering so very relieved and I've received confirmation email already.

This will by my first marthon so very scared/excited/nervous lots of mixed emotions

Going to treat myself to new trainers as an incentive

Any advice gratefully recieved

Mel

• My laptop is so slow I can't keep up with the forum. As a newbie to this thread better say hello then image.

This will be my first marathon, after signing up I'm thinking what was I thinking!! I can't imagine running longer than 14 miles right now! I guess It's all about traning and getting myself up to the longer distances....gulp.

Excited and scared at the same time. I'm a plodder so hope I can finish before the road sweep comes along image

• 38246 Green

First marathon was Berlin 2012. Ran 4:21:38 and loved it.

Second marathon was Brighton 2013. Ran 4.40 and hated it - injured foot at about 10 miles, nearly gave up at 13. Put me off running for a while too.

Swansea 10k this weekend, Cardiff Men's Health Survival of the Fittest 10k the following weekend, Cardiff Half a week later. I do most of my running in South Wales, but have been known to pound the pavements in my home county of Yorkshire.

Carrying a few too many pounds, which I'm hoping training will shed!

• @DV Purple 26090

@ ATM Thanks, I'll have the camera ready when they take the cast off as it feels like I have an elephants foot at the moment!

• Dv- 14377, Blue I think? Emmy? 

• Wordslinger - are you Cardiff based now?  'tis where I live and I am also doing the Cardiff Half...

• I'm in the last group 58339 pink

• @ yer_maj - Swansea-based. Did Cardiff half last year and got my time below 2hrs. Did Llanelli half this year and came in at 1.49. Will be happy if I go sub 2 on 6th Oct tho. How about you?

• Scream - still can't get onto the bl**dy site in a queue image as I have been all day.

Hi Wordslinger - well done on your time in Berlin I think when we last chatted you were just preparing for it.

• NGUG - lovely to see you again! Fingers crossed you get through registration soon!

• ooohhh, wordslinger...that's what yer_maj wants to do.  Go a bit under sub2...maybe sub2 -5mins...

• I limboed under the line in 1:59:57 last year, hoping top knock a couple of minutes off that this year....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz -you asked for blue in your email to weedy so i just copied that.

Am just at the gym for a recovery session and im dying on my ass... 

• Paris will be my first marathon, have done 3 halfs last year (Bath, GNR, Bristol) and 3 halfs so far this year (Bath, Edinburgh EMF, Bristol yesterday). I've got another 4 on the agenda this month and next (Ealing, Cardiff, Birmingham and Grand Union Canal).

Half PB is 1:54:35 (although haven't managed one under 2h so far this year), but would like to get my half times under 1:50:00 before Paris and go as close as possible to the 4h mark for the marathon if not under.

Went for the grey bib prediction (4:00-4:15).

• SmellyMelly wrote (see)

Hi

I've entered Paris Marathon this morning, had no problems at all entering so very relieved and I've received confirmation email already.

This will by my first marthon so very scared/excited/nervous lots of mixed emotions

Going to treat myself to new trainers as an incentive

Any advice gratefully recieved

Mel

You've picked a great race for your first marathon. Stick around. Any question you could possibly want answered will be covered in here along with the general levels of madness.

Welcome to all the new faces here.

My number is 26696, can't remember the colour. The 3:45 pen what ever that is!  Now to try and get back and better than spring 2012 levels of running form by April. image

• on the 'waiting in line' page for 3 hours, still nothing.  Refreshing a page on ipad for 2 hours, nothing.  I wonder if this is more blowback against Americans for the whole 'freedom fries' thing?

• Emmy - Thats what I thought, but then you never know what folks will do!image Nickname????

• Lawyeraaron wrote (see)

on the 'waiting in line' page for 3 hours, still nothing.  Refreshing a page on ipad for 2 hours, nothing.  I wonder if this is more blowback against Americans for the whole 'freedom fries' thing?

8073 for me - yellow bib

• I'm in...   2 hours waiting...    keep the numbers coming...  I'll compile a list tonight...

• Just hang in there, some people that logged in at the same time as me (8:30am) have just got through!

• oh i can get straight in but it tells me... after I've logged in and it has my profile up that my password doesn't match, if that is the case how have i bloody logged in!