Options

Run Hackney Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options

The text message, 2 facebook statuses and 2 tweets in just a few days all about planning your journey times makes me wonder if the organisers are a little worried about the fact plenty of people can't get to Stratford much before 8 and then still have a walk to the start...

• Options
    Have to agree!

Was leaning towards getting there earlier by getting the 26 bus out to the event, following instructions on the event website, but I cannot for the life of me decode the gibberish on the tfl website outlining the disruption to this route because of the race itself - it seems like some buses will divert to whitechapel and terminate?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/bus/status/?Input=26&lineIds=26&startDate=2014-06-21T00:00:00&endDate=2014-06-22T23:59:59&direction=inbound

Anyone figured out the bus option?

That said, aside from actually getting there I am really looking forward to the run - nice to see the last minute addition of misting stations given the potential for warm conditions (although the forecast is looking close to perfect, for the morning, for now)
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

The organisers are still asking for volunteers. They ask our running club a couple of days ago.

• Options

well I share all the above concerns. I'm going drive to westfields for 730 then walk. I rang the up asking for the nearest leisure centre so I can get a shower, they said "I don't know, have you tried google?" for a £45 entry I don't think it was too much to ask for a more helpful answer.

I envisage a very poorly organised bag drop off and then mayhem at the start line as no one is marshalling the pens.

hopefully I'm wrong!

see you all Tomo 

• Options

Gillsmatt - there are actiually showers at the start/finish but I assume they won't be open. Failing that Kings Hall Leisure Centre on Dalston Lane is probably the nearest.

I hope to god that the bag drop off is organised, if it is the fact people are cutting it fine arriving won't be as much of an issue.

More tweets and facebook posts today about allowing time and planning your journey, I can;t help think it's preemptive to blame us runners for problems at the start

• Options

Just home from running this. I really enjoyed it!

Luckily I was only travelling a very short distance to get there, but could see how potentially it could have been very difficult. TFL didn't help by suspending the Jubilee Line until 11am... And I'm a very fast walker and it took me the best part of 30 minutes to get to the start. The pre-race info said there would be "marshalls wearing orange t shirts to direct you". I didn't see any - did anyone else? As I'd been there before I knew the way, but if you weren't local how could you have known? Presumably these were all reasons for the slightly delayed start? And also the massive queue at the Race Pack Enquiries desk?

But once the race started it was great. Absolutely boiling hot, but great crowds, and awesome to run in the olympic park!

Got round in 1h 30m 08s - but I measured it 13.3 miles!

The (hugely irritating) comperes kept making a huge point of "please only drink to thirst" making me wonder if they were worried they hadn't got enough water? They could also save a lot of faffing at the start if they allocate starting pens to runners - with an event of this size they really need to.

But all in all I loved it. A tough, tough run in that heat, but a good course and a great day out. 

• Options

Well, where to begin after a day like today (warning: long post coming!)!

Starting with the race overall: I thought that it was largely decently organised and enjoyable event, particularly for a first go.  That said, a lot of the enjoyment lay with the course and spectators, and a number of the caveats (one of which is big!) sit in the organizer's hands.

1.  Start area:  Pretty good overall - lots of open space; good PA system; baggage check seemed to work well.  On the negatives, there were maybe a few too few toilets (but is it possible to have enough?); and getting into the start "pens" was a bit chaotic down at the back where I was lingering.

2.  Route:  Thought it was largely a good route, taking in a lot of Hackney's different areas and benefiting from excellent and enthusiastic support (particular shouts out to the shop-owner who gave me free, cold, water around mile 5ish; the locals who provided water and hoses (!); the steel band at the first out-and-back; the cheering area at Broadway Market; and the boisterous cheer crew (Cheer Dem Crew?) just before mile 10). However, I really thought that the whole Olympic Park section was, frankly, soul crushing.  After spending ten miles enjoying Hackney hospitality we were suddenly transported into two miles of shadeless out-and-backs; steep ramps; and relatively sparse support. I was really breaking down in the heat by mile 10, and the ramp up into the park was the straw that broke this camel's back - I walked up and never fully recovered.

3.  On course organization:  Water was woeful.  I thought that four stations was probably plenty... but they were way too small and required a full stop to get a drink (compare to the 50m long stations on the bupa 10k).  Worse, however, was the fact that the first station had no water when I got there!  Were it not for the shop owner who gave me water around mile 5 I fear I might have joined the masses receiving medical attention by the roadside.  One other thing that confused a newbie like me - is the course measured to include the pavement as part of the course if there are no barriers?  Saw a lot of cutting across pavement at corners, but was reticent to follow suit while my confusion continued!

Then there was my race - my first half marathon.  I made something of a rookie error, and went out at my fastest goal pace (for a 2:15 finish) despite the heat.  I was very much found out later in the race!!!  The first 10k went well, with a split of 1:02:06.  However, the wheels began to fall off from here - the empty water station at mile 3 meant a couple of uncomfortable miles, which I promptly made up for by drinking too much at the 6 mile station - cue much sloshing and a stitch.  Although my pace was slowing from here, I got through to around 10 miles pushing myself hard, however the arrival of the Olympic Park, far from being inspirational, killed me.  Completed the first out and back (on an access road?) knowing that there was going to be a stiff uphill into the park to come, however that ramp eventually broke me and I walked here for the first (and I had planned only!) time.  Upon walking my legs stiffened up something shocking, and it was then to be the base that the rest of the race was a slow mix of running and walking from here on out.  Came home in the end in 2:26:46. 

Not great compared to my ultimate 2:15 goal, but I am pleased nonetheless given that I started the training cycle aiming for sub 2:30 (tick!) and given the heat on the day.

(Phew!)

• Options

I've come back from the Hackney Half today and completely agree with both the above posts. It was such a shame that there wasn't nearly enough water provided throughout the course. A friend missed out on water completely at mile six as they'd run out and there simply wasn't enough water points considering how hot it was (it is June - no big surprise to the organisers, surely?). The water mists were a very welcome addition though.

Great route and great turnout from the locals but the shadeless Olympic Park was a bit soul destroying - perhaps that's just my view though. And sorry to rant, but my goodness, those host on the PA system were annoying. 

• Options

Really tough run in the heat today, personally didn't have any issues getting water, really nice route and loads of support from the locals, thank you to the gentleman who cooled me down with his garden hose. The only negative I have is the olympic park section, the ramps really slowed me down and I ended up walking/running to the finish, but still with a respectable 2:25:51, I was aiming for 2:15, so maybe this would have been realistic anyway given the weather today.

Really nice atmosphere and plenty going on at Hackney Marshes post race, welcomed the post race snacks, however, queue for the massage tent was humongous, so I carried on moving and practically crawled back to my car at Westfield.

All in all, it was a pretty decent race, would definitely do it again.

• Options
    Would agree with all above first two water stations out of water by the time I got there.

Really struggled today not run in a race in that heat before and won't again give me rain and wind all day. The olympic park section wasn't at all fun no supporters no shade but hey ho you live and learn. Never seen so many runners crashed out by the side of the road some looked in serious distress, made me glad I sacrificed a pb for just getting round
  • Options

On the whole quite an enjoyable event. Reasonably well organised for an inaugural event although there were a few things which need looking at:

1. Water - simply not enough. On a day like yesterday, there need to be more water stations, and the water stations need to be bigger. I dont think its a coincidence that there was a lack of water and an abundance of people requiring serious medical attention in the last 3-4 miles. Ive run a fair few races and Ive never seen anywhere near that number of casulaties for a half marathon!

2. Mile markers - some of them were way out. I know a Garmin isnt 100% accurate and I expect a degree of difference, but the 6-mile marker came in at 6.55 miles on the Garmin. I can only think of 2 markers which were remotely close to where they should've been. Some short, some long, some very long!! And the distance from the 13 mile marker to the finish line was not 0.1 miles. Closer to 0.4! That needs looking at.

3. The PA announcers - the bloke was alright, but the woman really liked the sound of her own voice. Incredibly annoying. If youre going to bleat on about how quick the winners were and how good their times were, at least tell eveybody what their times were! Got the impression she was blagging it. Badly!

• Options

Steve Duffy - 1:30:08 sounds like a cracking time to me, however annoying those 8 seconds might seem image  Read a post on the Run Hackney Facebook page where one of the pacers (1:45, I think) was apologizing for bringing home his crew 10 seconds over time, largely due to the fact that the 13 mile marker was a looong way more than 0.1 miles from the end.  Must have been a nightmare pacing with those mile markers!

Ciara - sounds like your race experience almost mirrored mine!  I was shooting for 2:15 but wilted (badly) in the heat and ended up home in 2:26:46!  Two data points in enough to say that we each achieved a heat-corrected 2:15 rightimage

Holly / Civil Eagle - glad it was not just me that found the Olympic Park segment soul destroying!  I had quite been looking forward to seeing the park initially, but the twisty, shadeless out-and-backs were killer.

Gazza - re: the female PA announcer, I was amused in the start pens to hear someone behind me stating that "some people can turn a microphone into a weapon of mass destruction"!!  How was your run?

With this as my first half marathon, I feel like I want to find another event to try to get closer to the 2:15 mark sooner rather than later.  Having seen how the heat affected me it might have to be the far side of summer (maybe the Kent Coastal?), although I think I might keep an eye out for any events that have late entries available during a period of "proper British Summer" (i.e.: rain). 

• Options

I thought this was a really good race, especially for the 1st time out and on such a large scale.  I didn't have any problems with the water points, but did think purely because of the weather they should have either added another station or split the energy drink station out away from the water station.

Agree the mile markers where out in places, which wasn't too bad for the most part, except for the Mile 6 mark which was very far out as you say Gazza.

The other, very minor, niggle for me was the start coral, there seemed to be a lot more people in and trying to get into the Sub 1:45 part than was humanly possible, so maybe this should have been wider. 

I also have to say the support a long the course was excellent along the vat majority of the course.  I know people have said about no support in the Olympic Park section, but even during those parts there was more support than any other race I've done outside of the London Marathon.

I would happily do this one again next year if it fits in with my other race plans.

• Options

Hollandasp - Can I recommend The Ealing half marathon in September?  It is not flat, but isn't what I would call hilly - I've got a PB both times I've raced it.  It is very well organised, has great atmosphere and medal and seems to always get good, but not hot weather.

• Options

Hi Matthew - thanks for the recommendation!  I had been having a look at the Ealing Half - it really does universally get great reviews - but I have entered the Yorkshire Marathon on October 12 as my first marathon, and the Ealing half is a bit too close to that (2 weeks out?)!  One for 2015 perhaps...

• Options

Heat corrected 2:15 sounds good to me Hollandasp!

Anyone got any thoughts about the Putney and Fulham Riverside Half?

• Options

Hollandasp - Hahaha I'm doing Yorkshire Marathon as well!

• Options

Overall a really great event. The atmosphere was the best I've seen, and generally it was very well run, especially considering it was the first and it was big. 

Have to add my voice to the others that have complained about the water stations and the last 2 / 3 miles. 

The four water stations that were on the course were very short and difficult to take water from. The spacing of the stations at every 3 miles seems logical enough, but on the day it felt very wrong. I couldn't take water from the first station because the people handing out water were too close together and too few. I got water from the second station, but the third station seemed to come up very quickly after that, (may be it was my delirium setting in). But the long slog to the fourth station at 11 miles was very painful and seemed like a lot more than 3 miles. I know some stations ran out of water, which, given the heat, is really not acceptable. 

The last 3 miles were really unpleasant. I understand that Hackney wanted to show off the Olympic park, but to be honest, I don't think any of the runners yesterday cared one little bit about it. They cared more about the steep ramps, no shade and hair pin double backs all at the end of a very tough race. 

I'll run again next, for sure, but next time I'll carry more of my own water and I hope they give us a better final 3 miles. 

• Options

So my experienced echoed every one else. Parts of it were great, the water situation was unacceptable, the atmosphere was brilliant, the Olympic Park was an anti-climax and sole destroying. Seeing so many people collapsed was quite distressing.

As an aside did anyone else notice that Neil Horan the guy that attacked the leader at the Athens Olympic Marathon was running? 

• Options

Ah this is soothing reading for me. Living close by I'd actually trained a bit in the park and knew it was likely to be the hardest bit, both in terms of where it came in the race and in terms of he slightly uninspiring landscape. I hadn't quite appreciated how totally shadeless it is or how much hotter 10:30am is than 9:00am. I had stuck like glue to the 1:45 pacers up until the park, but had a rather funny turn on the first out and back and had to pull over (in the only shade in the whole park, under a bridge), take on some water, and from then on I struggled through the final 2 miles to a 1:51:11 finish which is slightly slower than my PB, but given that this seems to be similar to the general experience I'll put it down to the heat!

The mile markers were annoyingly off. Worst was 6 miles which had actually been put mere metres from the halfway point. I do wonder if there was supposed to be a separate halfway marker AND a 6 mile marker and someone had just put the wrong one up. Also having the 13 mile marker so relatively early is ridiculous. I'd rather not have one at all than be told it's practically over only to have another half a kilometre to go.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back again next year. Hopefully the south side of the Olympic Park will be completely open and they can do one big circuit (with some bigger shady trees!) rather than all the to-ing and fro-ing.