Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Your welcome Megalily, hope he sorts you out.  

Beat the Bore this morning at 8.15am, it was pretty nippy, first time I have had to get the thermal base layer out this winter.  The frozen ground was so rutted for a lot of the course it had serious ankle twisting potential but manged to get to the end unscathed, then ran back on the roads to get the mileage up.  Ankles and calves a bit sore but hoping they will have eased off by tomorrow!  Didn't beat the bore, think only one chap managed it, but did, just, get home as first lady albeit in a rubbish time! 

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - logged off, finished cuppa and took the dog's out for a walk brill

All snow gone now just cold nasty rain and it's forecast to clear so will probably end up lethally icy image hopefully the Mawddach Trail will be safe (flat & rough) as lanes will be definately dodgy.

T-Rex - hope you haven't done to much damage swinging about.  Noticied i'm still on the list but 90% certain i won't be there, not 100% yet but it's looking that way.image 

Laudy what was the Bore you were trying to beat? visions of lots of runners chasing a large hairy pig at the mo?

• I'm assuming tidal bore not porcine boar image

• Or someone not particularly interesting? image

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Aye the Severn Bore rather than the porcine kind, although if one of those had been chasing me maybe I would have run a bit quicker!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

wayne- glad there's no damageimage except to your spikes that is...

Laudy- Beat the Bore sounds fun! I want to do it. That and Race the Trainimage

Recovery day here today, so couple of plods and avoided the weather both timesimage

• Mawdach Trail Chrissi...soooo jealous!

Beat the Bore sounds interesting. Jason, do Race the Train..it is fantastico. Those African drums beating a war cry before you set off gets your heart racing until you remember..it's just a trainimage. You'd thrash it anyway if conditions were in your favour underfoot. I wasn't that far behind it at the end so I'd certainly rate your chances.

• Thanks Jason, only 2 xcountry races left for this season so I'll try and make my ripped spikes last. A friend of mine organises Beat the Bore. Never fancied doing it, although its right on my doorstep. Race the Train is a great race. Laudy, how many ran the Bore this year?

Nice gentle 5 mile recovery run for me tonight. Not too cold out neither.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Just tried my morning run- postponed after several attempts at finding an area NOT covered in sheet ice! image
  • Managed negative split at parkrun Saturday (7:45 1st lap, 6:45 2nd lap!!),,, Then out for a cold 9 miler Sunday morning before taking the dogs to see mrs Lemmy do cross country with the club in South Essex league... 1st full week of training since mid December and that 9 miles is the furthest I've run since last SNOD...

Bottled out of Benfleet 15 (me Wankles - Weak Ankles) so me & the dogs will again be spectating & supporting Mrs Lemmy & chums this Sunday and I'm doing 1st Run Director for parkrun Saturday, so need to run Friday for 5 miles (I reckon run home from work) and early Sunday morning for 12...

Mrs Lemmy's in Halstead marathon now... some focus for her training...

Glad everyone's keeping well and training hard...

• I didn't do parkrun in 14:30 by the way, that was my average pace for each lap...

• Resurected my Good Run Guide Snowdonia Marathon route this morning.

If it's of interest it's here.

Snowdonia Route

I'm presuming it's still the same as 2010?

• What parkrun do you do Lemmy? 

I've been getting twitchy waiting for the Chelmsford Parkrun which starts this Saturday image

I've also signed up for Halstead so you might want to warn Mrs Lemmy!

• Mr 2Mr 2 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

been reading this thread for a while, thought I would say hello as I have now officially entered thsi for 2013.

Currently coming back from injury so only managing 5 miles, three times a weel. Plenty of time left yet....isnt there? image

• Hi Mr 2. Is this your first Snod? If so you'll love it. Yeah plenty of time to crank up the miles yet. The good thing about an autumn marathon is that the bulk of your training is done in the summer, as opposed to a spring mararthon , where you got to get out in the dark cold wet ,windy depressing winter. Oh we'll suppose I better get out there and go for a run now.
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hope weather stays dry morrow, I've taken the afternoon off work n I'm heading out for a nice hilly coastal path run. image

• JD-are you in rehab? I bet those Yaktrax have come out of the box by nowimage

Mr Ben, same awesome route buddy. jenf..have fun, tis like the North Pole here so had to resort to dreadmill..aaarrrggghhh plus Spin Class with major bootcamp trainer..double aaaarrrrgggghh.

Wayne, you like some nice runs chap. Did you get out for your run?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Lemmy- well done on the 5kimage

Mr2- hi!image

brer- Yaktrax only useful in compacted snow or ice- grrr! But I will not be beaten....

After this morning's aborted effort, icy roads and darkness tonight saw me juggling my sessions and turning to the joys of running 15m on the track...image A bit slippery, but at least it was free of frozen puddles and floodlitimage. Pleased with the run cos it felt really comfortable- just as well as I had to turn the brain off and get into a rhythm to keep my sanity while going round and round and round....image15.01m in 1.42.41 (6.50 av) splits: 7:07 6:41 6:58 6:51 7:05 7:00 6:57 7:04 6:57 6:59 6:38 6:39 6:37 6:36 6:29 3 Woohoo!image

• Bloody hell Jason, good going. BTW do you log your stuff on Fetch? You've some way to go to get to top position....image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

brer- yeah- just been knocked off the top! hmmmimage

• brer. Yeah managed to get out and do just over 8. I'm spoilt for some great runs where I live,right on the edge of the the Cotswolds with some cracking off road runs with plenty of hills to run up and down.

Jason, that's some impressive mileage your clocking up.
  • Mr Ben - am I correct??? Your guide says equiv flat distance is 28.68miles so I will actually run 26.2 but feel like I'd run 28.68 had it been flat?

Think I would go crazy running round and round and round a track - respect!!

thought I needed a dress rehearsal for Tough Guy so ran 6 miles in the snow in my shortie wetsuit earlier, was fun!
  • Camio, yes the Good Run Guide website uses a complicated formula to work out the 'flat equivalent' distance. It's not based on the fact that the distance going up/down a hill is slightly longer than the crow flies but on the fact that you dont regain what you lost going up hill when going down the same hill. How meaningful this is I let you decide but I find it quite useful.

• Out & back club run last night... 20 minutes out then try and get back in 20 minutes (or less image) Managed 5.51 miles in 39:48 image...

Kandinsky... My local is Valentines parkrun in Ilford... Got lots here in East london now... Chelmsford starts Saturday... http://www.parkrun.org.uk/chelmsfordcentral/

Keep safe & warm... Sniffle & chesty cough season...

• Mr 2Mr 2 ✭✭✭

snow forecast by me for the next few days - will stick with wearing my shorts, which will prepare me for SNOD.... image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

wayne- cheers- building up for VLMimage

5m recovery run this morning- not too slippery, but a couple of spots so still being cautious. 10.01m on the track this afternoon with a 5m tempo effort thrown in the middle. This run was scheduled to follow a recovery day, but with me swapping things around because of the ice yesterday it ended up following a swift 15 milerimage. Needless to say, my legs could still feel this and I was a few seconds off pace for some of the tempo miles- still happy enough consideringimage 10.01m in 1.05.08 (6.30av) splits: 7:11 6:56 6:42 6:05 6:07 6:03 6:04 6:00 7:05 6:51 5 In fact, i just realised that this is actually an unofficial PB over 10m- lol! (All my recent 10m races have been over brutal courses!)

• How do you get access to a track Jason..I need one. Hate dreadmill, hate ice. Well, Gloucester marathon looks like a doubt. Organisers making a decision on Friday, given the forecast for the Midlands on Friday and Saturday..I'm not sure I'd be able to get there anywayimage so I would prefer for them to make the decision for me.

Mr 2 -shorts...thud!!image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Brer- Our local leisure centre has a track- right next to my workplace as it happens! image I didn't enter Gloucester- last year you could enter on the day for the 50k T least- but not this year!!!

On the shorts thing - I just bought. a pair of Adidas tights half price in a SMALL image that's a first! Lol!
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Shorts all year round here - don't even own any tights/leggings!

Hope you get the decision made for you on Friday Brer, makes things easier than trying to get there and getting stuck on the way!

Well done on the pb Jason image is it tempting you to find a flat race to get an actual pb?

Keep warm everyoneimage