Venice Marathon 2014

Comments

• yes the P&D is a bit complicated which is why the first 2 year I did the "wake up and run x miles" thats 98% of marathon training really

• I don't really 'do' plans, I know the mileage that I want to do in the week and what I intend to do for the long run at the weekend, then I fit the rest in from there. Generally I plan to run four 6 - 8 milers in the week until a few weeks out, then i'll have to increase it to have a mid-week 10+ miler. 5 x 20+ miles with at least one of them being a 22 miles. BUT I am running Loch Ness Marathon 4 weeks before so I honestly have no idea how the last 6 weeks of training for Venice will go - I'm looking at it as Loch Ness being my A-run and Venice being the 'hang in there' one. It's going to be a rollercoaster of fiascos I'm sure!

Wenturtle - do you mean no more marathons ever, or just not in 2015! I think you're probably fully booked for 2015 but then there are some people who will run 5 marathons in 5 days, so you never can tell which brand of crazy some people are until you ask!! image

• Sorry yes - no more marathons till at least the end of 2015 at the earliest. I'm not one of those nutters that runs a marathon before going to work sort of person.

• So how is training going for everyone, anyone started yet?!

• managed 10miles this lunchtime, but just more a maintenance than training . I have decided on a 12 week plan (modified p&d)

• I started training 3 weeks ago as I have Loch Ness 4 weeks before Venice. I have hit 40 miles on all 3 weeks so I'm really happy with that as I think I've only ever hit 40 something once or twice before. I'm hoping that training is going to make an impact this time, it seems to be going well but there's so much time between now and race day that literally anything could happen.

Wenturtle - have you found another 2015 marathon yet?! image

• No HIAHS, no more for 2015 for me at present - entered the VLM GFA last week, but that was already on my list.

no much training for me currently still on easy street. the extra training should certainly make a big difference IF you dont overdo it and get injured. Take it easy on some days and weeks.

Seems a bit of a way away at present but they soon come round.

• I looked at the GFA for Boston - I shall be able to run it when I hit 70yrs, if I can keep my current pace image. We all have to have goals to keep us going! image

Yes I agree about getting injured. I really struggled with my calfs on the run up to Paris but it turns out it was my shoes. Now I've got some different shoes and the calfs are fine but one heel is really painful after long runs, I'm certain it's the built-up bit in the shoe. Irritating as hell as they are so comfortable, if I was only running 6-10 miles I don't think I'd ever have noticed. image

I did a session with a local group last night, only the 2nd time I've been. I was too fast for the slower group and too slow for the fast group so ended up running on my own, which is fine as I can't really talk when I run anyway (I go to the group session to run harder than I would on my own, so talking isn't really an option!) but there was a lot of looping back to pick up the tail-enders anyway so it was all good. My legs were like jelly afterwards, got a good workout and got another tempo session off the list.

I am going to see a friend this weekend, it'll entail alcohol and a large amount of food which I am dreading as I've not fallen off my diet wagon once since starting, but it's inevitable this weekend. image

• HIAHS - I doubt a few cheat days on the diet will hurt especially with 40 mpw!!!

I find nutrition helps especially with higher mileage weeks, quality carbs and protein.

the group sounds good as you will probably get to the point where you get as fast as the fast group.

I'm slowly building the mileage back up, just lacking enthusiam presently.

Cant believe there are not more people running venice on RW forum.

• I am a little shocked too about the lack of attendance, I have put word out on the Paris thread to see if anyone fancies it!

I am desperate to get my nutrition right, I want to be a stone lighter by the end of Sept. I've dropped just over a stone already but this last stone is horrendous, it's going at a lb a week which is fine, but not for the amount of effort I'm putting in to it!! image

• 1lb a week is a deficit of 3500 calories a week or 500 calories a day. (thats 4 miles per day running for me). So that is quite a drop. Also its not wise to cut calories by more that 20% at most, as you will start going seriously catabolic (burning muscles), which is not something you want to do while training. Maintain protein to avoid catabolic effect as much as possible. Reducing carbs (especially simple carbs) has greatest effect as it stores 2-3 g of water for every g of carb so triples the effect of carb reduction (hence wht people think they are loosing weight with atkins diets but they are only loosing water mainly). But I'm sure you know all this already 

• Meh. I've completely cut out cakes, biscuits, sweets, chocolate and pasties, all of which I'd eat on a daily basis before. I have cut right down on all carbs and now I just allow myself a slice of bread for toast most mornings and I'll have a half-portion of the carbs I would normally have for dinner. I don't have sandwiches for lunch anymore either image. I have upped my protein and my fruit consumption although I have read various things that say that fruit has loads of sugar and blah blah but I'm b*ggered if I'm going to eat carrot all day!

My main gripe is that I'd consider myself 'on a diet' at the moment, but with all the running and the fact that I'm supposedly burning more than 500cals every time I run (5 times a week) then I can only assume that I am actually not 'on a diet' and that this is actually what I should've been eating all along. image image 

Anyway, less about me being a fatty. I have Torbay Half next weekend, looking forward to it but it starts at 10am and I think we'll be getting quite warm by then!

• Hi

Just come accross this forum.I'm also doing Venice 2014,will be my fourth marathon,am really looking forward to it.

• /members/images/816806/Gallery/imagesU1NG9Y8B.jpg

Hallelujah, we have some new blood!! Welcome Richie! Tell us about yourself, obviously a regular marathon runner, or at least a regular Venice Marathon runner! Tell us everything!! image

• Yes - welcome Ritchie...... I was starting to think this was an invisible thread!

I wouldn't fancy a half marathon in this heat, I almost collapsed in the heat at a 10k a couple of weeks ago in 20 deg. (saying that barcelona marathon was 20 deg this year and jerusalem could be a warm one)

HIAHS - great picture!

• Hi

Been runing five years,live In Sunderland and run with Sunderland Strollers.First marathon was Rome,(2011) second was Gran Canaria( 2013),third was London 2013, Venice will be my fourth and London 2015 will be my fifth.

Venice is my fiftieth birthday present, (the big five oh arrives 2nd Nov) Am travelling to Venice with my wife,we are staying for five days,planning to combine the marathon with a bit of sightseeing.(History,along with running and cycling are my main interests.)

Between now and Venice I plan on doing a 10k mid August,the Great North in Sept,Bournemouth half in early October.

Last week I started to ramp up the miles in preperation for the long slog to Venice,will be my first summer marathon training but training for London the previous winter got to be pretty depressing in the constant wind rain and cold so am quite looking forward to some hopefully half decent weather.

• Wenturtle - Barca can be a funny one, I've been there a couple of times and the weather has been quite good, I was there last year over the marathon (coincidence as I'd never even contemplated a marathon then) and it was jumper weather but then the sun would come out and it'd be warm enough for a thin long-sleeve top. Then it rained. I am definitely going to do the marathon there one day, not next year but maybe 2016 if my legs haven't fallen off by then!

Ritchie - I have a similar birthday 'present' next year, VLM lands 2 days before my birthday. I think if anyone bought me this kind of present I'd instantly shoot them in the face, but it's ok when I do it to my self!! image  So tell us your PB then, looks like you know what you're doing already as you're doing some very stylish races, wish I'd done the Rome one but I hear there's lots of bends and some bad cobble stones? I've been to Rome on holiday and did run when I was there, but not right through the very centre.

Do either of you know whether we have to have a special medical certificate or whether any will do? I've got one that I got signed for the Paris marathon and it doesn't run out until April next year.

• I did Rome in 2013, great mararthon as they were electing the new pope and there were lots of preists etc all cheering you on. (I had food poisioning which made it a bad marathon and should not have run but glad i did)

Barca was so hot on marathon day I was on the beach drinking beer and eating ice creams - it got to about 25 deg mid day.

Not sure about the medical certificate - thats a good point - I normally just do a B&Q / wickes style one, but use their official form. (sorry did i just say that - scrub that)

• Naughty naughty! But if it's any consolation, I was daydreaming about getting my own stamp made up when I was running yesterday, it would certainly save a lot of hassle.

Was Rome painful on the feet, cobbles sound bad to me, were there lots?

• Rome cobles were only bad the last few hundred yards as you run round the coliseum,stretching calf muscles in ways they don't want to go, much as I suspect the bridges in Venice will be doing.

Medical certificate, I have already registered - do I still need a certificate?

My PB was London last year 03:12:41,Venice I'm targeting 03:05:00 and hopefully London will be sub three hours, that's the plan but there's no saying it will come to fruition, aim for the stars and you might reach the moon etc etc...

• I never found found rome cobbles a problem or even noticed them actually - I was probably in too much pain anyway.

Ritchie, your Pb is the same as mine I was targeting sub 3 in london this year and blew up (cut knees up pretty bad with a nasty fall which did not help.) may target a sub 3 in london or brighton again next year, but def not venice.

Yes you need a certificate after you register, but before you run unless you are aregistered club runner i think.

• HIAHS - rather than get a stamp made up you could just get one off the internet and cut it out and stick it on the health certificate.... (not that I have tried this of cource), but venice does not state you need a stamp (rome did)

• You guys run like the wind, I am in awe image. My pb is 4hr 50 but I am hoping that I can get that to 4hr 30 for Loch Ness and Venice. I would love to run as fast as you lot, but I don't have the physical stature or ability, or quite frankly the mental willpower! It must be nice to be home, showered and fed before half the field have even finished though image.

Wenturtle - what did you fall over, did you get wiped out or did you trip? I was running with the dog yesterday (regularly tries to kill me, the little sod), a pheasant flew out of the hedgerow and scared the dog to death, he leapt right in to my legs, how I didn't fall over I don't know. He has made me fall over right into the middle of the road before, so I should be happy that I came out unscathed! image

Rome is sounding a bit more interesting now! I don't think I can cope with doing it next year though as I'd have 3 weeks between Rome and Paris, then 2 weeks between Paris and London. Think I'll aim for Rome 2016 if I'm still going strong.

Has anyone done Berlin? I'm planning on doing it next year.

• HIAHS, at london this year i was at halfway at 1:29 then got clipped on the back foot, and fell quite bad as it was more of a dive and took all the skin off my knees

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/669117/gallery/photo_1.jpg?width=183&height=192&mode=max

Then they started to swell up at around 19-22 miles until i could barely bend the bad one. walk ran the last 3 miles and limped home in 3:19 lost 15 minutes over the last 3 miles.

I did Berlin as my second marathon and loved it as the whole weekend Berlin is marathon crazy and has loads of events orgainised by BMW.... one of my favourites, but hard to get into now (unless you do it for charity)

• Oooohff those knees are nasty, I can quite believe you'd have to walk after that. image

I hadn't realised it was difficult to get in to Berlin, is it a ballot system like London or first come first served?

• It used to be a first come first served but now its a ballot system, still a good chance of getting in as they have a second ballot for those that do not sign up in time after getting a ballot place. Great city as well.

Barcelona is another good one and a good city to visit.

• Yes I think Barca and Rome are about the same sort of time. I think I'd take Rome over Barca just because I've been to Barcelona twice already (non-running) and Rome just the once.

I trained with a group last night, we only covered 4 miles but it was an interval session where I ended up running well outside my comfort zone and I definitely got a lot out of the session, so I'm pleased. I also did a really good hilly 7 miles on Monday and really pushed on. Think i'll take a nice easy bimble this evening to stretch the dog's legs then see what tomorrow brings before having a couple of days off before the Torbay Half at the weekend.

I have just bought a hat to try out, never run in a hat before but sweat is stinging my eyes quite a lot recently so thought this might help, it's a Gore one and it seems like a mesh over the head and a bit of extra material around the head band, could be interesting but mostly just makes me look like a prat and will undoubtedly get on my nerves over time!

I just entered the Reading Half which is 22nd March next year, haven't done it before, hope it isn't too hilly!

• a few of my friends run Reading and sounds a good one (apart from it hammered down with rain last year) I think there are a few inclines, but not really hilly so to speak.

Not sure i would get on with a hat but someone suggested i should think about it for Jerusalem. - I have a headband but never worn it as would look like an extra out of an 80's music video.....

• We can run together! I suspect you'll look just like this:

/members/images/816806/Gallery/e9c105cc-2ecc-4e26-b97b-eb1dadb75cb5.jpg

Whilst I (naturally) will look like this:

/members/images/816806/Gallery/legwarmers.jpg

I ran with my new hat last night, all fine so far but I wouldn't have noticed anyway as I was having a fiasco with my shorts (supposedly compression ones but clearly no longer tight enough to be of any use) which completely overshadowed everything else!

• HIAHS  - where did you get that picture of me from!!! I thought i had deleted all copies of those photos!

Interesting marathon outfit you have there! Your compression sleaves seem to be a bit loose!

You seem to have interesting wardrobe dilemmas.