Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

thanks Gazza for the garmin tips, I agree Ap66 takes a long time to find satellites, don't want to be waiting at the start of a race for that to happen!

Training is tough in the heat. Due to do my first VO2 max session from my taining plan today......should be interesting and a challenge!

Happy running everyoneimage

• Options

Well done on the Cross Bay challenge skd14, that's a really good time.

Good luck with the VO2 max session lily - the heat definitely makes it harder!

Went to my first yoga class last night.  Really enjoyed it and hopefully it will aid my running.

• Options

Thanks Tiny VO2 max went ok to start with but I am supposed to be doing 5x3mins fast with 3 mins recovery between and I struggled to maintain the speed! Still early days yet. I have recently taken yoga back up again with my daughter who is doing it as part of her d of e programme and I think it complements running really well with the stretching etc I am just careful not to overstrain near a race day!image

• Options

Hi All,

Thanks Gazza, Lily keep at it, it does make a difference still a long time to go to build up for the big one.

Training ticking over a 30 mile week over 4 runs including parkrun, yesterday bike 14 miles, today rest.

Local club 10k on Tuesday

Proper marathon training from July, I will most likely run 4 days a week, plus a bike day to not overdo it, injury wise, with 2 days rest. I'll follow a similar intermediate plan to Manchester.

• Options

Thanks Tiny

Training turned out to be 26.5 miles for the week, pleased with a parkrun pb by 6 secs.image

Rest Monday, 10k race Tuesday.

How's everyone else's training/weekend going?

• Options

Just having coffee and a bacon butty. Was going to have porridge and banana but proper traing hasn't started yet !!!!!!

ran a slow 7 on Wednesday, not run since. 11 miler later this morning.

hope everyone else is training better than me !!

• Options

good training everyoneimage hope 11 miler went well Ap66. I am following 18 week plan this time really to allow for much less running when on holiday in August. I have a personalised plan to help me improve on 5hrs + and getting slower! The runs seem varied but quite long so this week with work and other commitments I will struggle to fit them in. So I ran my planned run for today last nightimage! 8.2 miles with hill sprints. I chose a big hill for that but as it was one hill I had no real recovery between them. I just thought it would be better than up and down the same hill!

Getting the hang of the garmin but it does take quite a few attempts for the pc to recognise it each time. Anyone else have this problem?

• Options

AP I was inspired by your commitment and had a McD breakfast yesterday.

Lily 18 weeks will fly by, everyone needs to juggle a little with their plan/life I read on one of these forums you should aim do at least 85% of your training runs or not do the marathon. image I assume that means you wouldn't be able to reach your target if under trained.

Getting a little practice on the October weather round here.

• Options

Managed 10.2 in 1 hr 30. Had to have a sleep in the afternoon. Going to have to have a week off after 26 miles....

followed the bacon butty with a chicken Karachi, peshwari nan, wine etc !!!

lily.....it seems everyone has the same problem with garmins... Think I have found the trick. Connect it and wait until,you can see the garmin reconized in your finder before trying to upload.

hope everyone has a good weeks training

• Options

BTW

marathon targets

Lily of the Valley 4.59.59

AP66                   3.59.59

Anyone else want to go public ???

• Options

AP66                 3.59.59

TR85                 3.59.59

Fingers crossed we can all make our targets image.  That is my 'gold' target by the way.....would be happy with a 4.15 but to be honest as it's my first marathon crossing the finish line would be an achievement in itself.

• Options

Hello, can I join you? I signed up for this at the beginning of the year but also did Halstead Marathon in May so I'm only just ready to start thinking about marathon training again. 

Like bornagainrunner I'll be doing the Humber Half on Sunday, hopefully pacing my husband round to a sub-two hour HM for his debut race! Slightly nervous about this as I've barely run since Halstead. 

Quick wave to Susan, who I know from our online running group image

Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next few months - here's to injury-free, PB-busting training until 20th October. 

• Options

Welcome Swoody....The more the merrier !!

• Options

Hi Swoody, join in, Humber half a great event, weather looks good the course is not the flattest though. 

Targets this is in my head so hey ho, I would love 3.49.59 under 3.55 then under 4.00 is OK. Just the training, getting to the line injury free, then the weather, course, motivation and how you feel on the day.

• Options

I'm back from my hols, ready for a rest - I'm shattered! Long mountain walks, a gruelling trek in the snow, and only one short run. Racing tomorrow night - a Vets race, so will be off road and hilly, then Humber Half on Sunday.  After that, I must knuckle down to a proper training schedule.

Target for the marathon is to get round in one piece, without too many aches and pains. 4hours 30 would be fantastic, did my first (and only) marathon in 4:56 last year, so would love to better that. 

• Options

I'm aiming for 3.29.59, will be a big push as PB is 3h 42m but that was 6 years ago.

Ran same 7.2 mile course last Tues, Wed & Thur, got faster each day and averaged just under 8min mile pace. So just another 19 miles to work on at that pace!! Will be running 5 days per week from now on with Mon and Fri as my day off, using the RW sub 3h 30m plan.

How is your training getting on?

• Options

thanks for the encouragement Skd and the garmin tip App. Great idea about our marathon targets App, made me smile! Thank you! Welcome Swoody, def as App says the more the merrier. Your training seems to be going well, good luck to you and bornagain at the Humber half.. Glad you had a good hol bornagain. Not running myself till Weds when I will hopefully do 12 miles (last 20mins I am supposed to push myself!)

Happy running everyone image

• Options

Skd14 - my targets are pretty much the same!

I did 3.57 at Halstead - my 'gold' target would be 3.49 but my much more realistic one would be 3.55. Will see how training goes...just getting back out there and doing some decent miles would be a start, it's taken me a while to get over this one. 

• Options

SKD14.             3.49

Swoody.             3.49

Born Again Runner 4.15

Northern Gazza   3.29.59

prety impressive. Have I missed anyone ?

• Options

Welcome Swoody.

swoody wrote (see)

Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next few months - here's to injury-free, PB-busting training until 20th October. 

I'll drink to that!

11 miles general aerobic run for me last night, with 5 miles at PMP.  Had a good run but had issues with heart rate strap.......strap itself cut into my skin as I was running just where the monitor is.  Ouch!  But if I loosen it even just a smidge it falls down to my waist.  Annoying!

• Options

Hey Ap66! no way am I aiming for 4.15! You trying to give me a heart attack? 4.30 will do nicely ta. 

• Options

Updated and corrected !!

Lily of the Valley 4.59

AP66                 3.59

TR85                 3.59

SKD14.             3.49

Swoody.             3.49

Born Again Runner 4.30

Northern Gazza   3.29

Bearsted plodder 3.45

• Options

loving these targetsimage very encouraging! Hi again BP, how are you?

• Options

Good targets AP, scary though. Welcome BP.

10k race last night 47.20 some 1.10 outside a PB, a bit disappointed but it's all I had on the night my var var voom left me temporararily I hope. It was a pretty warm night legs a bit heavy, still some 3 mins better than my 10k times from last year.

Bike today

Keep running everyone, you know it makes sense!

• Options

NIce racing there skd14.  Don't forget that your legs might not be that fresh if you've started your marathon training, so to only be a minute or so outside your PB is pretty impressive, well done.

Enjoyed a 5 mile trail race in the sunshine last night.  No running today but will pop along to yoga class and give that another bash.

• Options

47.20 is very impressive for 10k. My usual run home from work is less than 6 miles and I did it yesterday in 48.50 which felt fast! 

Are you all doing any speed work at the moment then? I feel I should after spending most of this year doing marathon plodding. 

No running for me today, just cycle commute along the canal then a bit of yoga tonight. 

• Options

Skd, I think heat can really affect you, you did really wellimage Are you still enjoying yoga Tiny? My class is tonight. I read in my womens guide to running that yoga is proven to be beneficial for running, can't remember how! Just seen you are doing yoga too Swoody.

My 12 miles were tough, chose a hot morning, went out a little too fast, paid for it in the middle but pleased that my garmin showed I picked up my pace for the last 2 miles or so as the plan told me too. I was very hot and exhausted by the end! Next long run I must try to keep to my pace from the beginning but easier said than done!

Hopefully run tomorrow morning before the big preparation for my daughter's school promimage I am then going to Dorset for a couple of days. Will take my running gear to fit in my last planned run of the week.

Hope all well with everyone!

• Options

Morning everyone

swoody - yes I'm still doing speedwork as it's in my schedule.  I also tend to do a bit of speedwork once a week with my running club.  If you struggle to do it by yourself, doing a parkrun on saturday morning is a great way to get a speed session in and it's so much more fun than going out on your own.

Well done on the 12 miles lily. Picking up the pace in those final miles is really difficult but it will pay dividends on race day.  Yes I went to my second yoga class last night and really enjoyed it again.  I'm about as flexible as a rock but I really do feel as though I've had a good work out afterwards.  Hope your daughter enjoys her prom.

Trail relay event for me tonight, looking forward to it image

• Options

Hi Guys, Thanks for the support Tiny, Swoody and Lily, 12 miles in the heat well done.

An easy 9 miles today, just getting ready for Hols for 2 weeks, Flying to Corfu, then round the Eastern Med, it's our silver wedding anniversary treat, the day is actually September. Wahoooo!! image

Training plan ?image

See you all soon, happy running.