Anyone ignored running shop advice?

Been wearing Asics GT-2160s since May having switched from GT2150s. Got advice for the 2150s but 2160s just bought as 2150s gave up suddenly!  

Been having some blistering/toe issues so went to running shop (same one as before) turns out shoes are too small (feet seem to have grown!) so ended up with some Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12. Shop said the 2170s and even my 2160s were not right,

Well been wearing the Brooks round the house and done a run in them and now in pain. If I had time would track down a larger pair of 2160s but as I have first HM in just over a week so thinking I should get the 2170s.

So has anyone else ignored the advice of a running shop?

C

Comments

• Just go wih what works for you take them back and swap hem for a big pair of 2170s make sure you have a decent amount of space at the end for your toes

I have 2170 wih padded Nike socks... Once tried skinny socks and got blisters straight away your current shoes might work with different socks...
  • booktrunk wrote (see)
    Just go wih what works for you take them back and swap hem for a big pair of 2170s make sure you have a decent amount of space at the end for your toes

I have 2170 wih padded Nike socks... Once tried skinny socks and got blisters straight away your current shoes might work with different socks...

Done the sock thing, the no sock thing and also the taking the insole out thing and not worked unfortunately!

I should have trusted my instinct and ignored running shop advice but assistant was adamant!

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

According to the running shop, I run best in Asics but I hate them on my feet - they like bulbous. I didn't buy the Asics.

• If a newbie then I think that you have to trust them. More experienced people should trust their own instincts though.

I made the mistake of trusting the shop staff a couple of years ago and ended up losing two toe nails. So, from now one, I may listen to them but I still make my own judgement.

TMM

• Can't decide if I am a newbie or experienced. Born again runner maybe best description!

Anyway decided to go with my instinct and swap the Brooks for Asics 2170s. Went for a run with them this afternoon and better than Brooks for me. Although think they need run in a bit and Brooks seem to have set off my longstanding back problems so may need to see Chiropracter next week!

• I spent a couple of years running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS on the road, but recently needed some trail shoes.  My cousin recommended Adidas Kanadias, so after a try on session I went for them.

For my running there doesn't appear to be any difference in speed or comfort between the support shoe and the non-supporting shoe.  Which either suggests the shop got it wrong in the first place, or as my leg muscles have developed over the last couple of year from non-running, to marathoner, I no longer need the support.

When these Adrenlines wear out, I'll switch to the Brooks Defyance to see if the theory proves out, as they're basically a neutral version of the Adrenaline.