GPS watches

Read a few reviews of a few different runners watches but just wondering what everyone's personal opinions are and what you'd recommend?

Really not sure how much I need to speed either but prices seem to range from £100 -£250, are the expensive ones worth it as all I'm looking for as incredibly accurate gps, pace and speed information, water proof, solidly made and also compatible with cycling, etc, just incase I decide to do something stupid like a triathlon or...ironman or something like that?

Comments

• If all your looking for is speed / pace / time / HR

then a basic one will do - they are all accurate and I don't think the GPS varies that much is terms of distance, possibly signal connection which is very rarely reported a problem - I have garmin 110 and it's accurate and does everything else

- it cost me 134?? and I was prepared to pay more and replace it if not happy- I have everything I need on it as a runner

Trouble is - if you want to swim and train properly you're probably going to have to pay more for one that records strokes etc

As for cycling - I have a decent odometer properly set up and would use my HRM if I wanted to .

If you have no budget as such best wait for more advice
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • If all you're after is distance, time, pace etc. and aren't bothered about heart rate, the Garmin FR10 is a cracking watch for about 80 quid.

If you're after using it for other sports though, it wouldn't do the job.

I'd recommend having a good browse of dcrainmaker.com. He writes incredibly in-depth, informative reviews of pretty much every watch you could think of.

• The FR10 looks very good from the dcrainmaker review, I'll see if I can get one this week.

• I have the Garmin Forerunner 210 and it's perfect. I use it for all my runs but haven't used it for any other sports. It's easy to setup, easy to use, and covers everything I need and everything you list there. To be fair though (as most people have said) there's not a great deal of difference but I have had a Nike gps watch before and it wasn't as accurate as my Garmin and had a few issues but have never had an issue with Garmin. 

The thing that is just as important is what software/site you use to log and evaluate your runs. If you don't get on with the interface that would be annoying. Garmin connect is good and there will be a shiny new interface at the end of March which looks really good.

• Is there any way to interface them with runkeeper?

• I have Nike Sports Watch, as a beginner runner it is perfect for me.

I can set goals with it, view run distance, total distance, av pace, elevation, heart rate (if you have monitor to connect), av distance, compare with others, nice satellite style graph. Think you can pick one up at arround £115. Also functions as a normal watch (as you would expect haha), also good for casual wear, not too bulky, looks nice, I got blue/black. Can view history through Nike+ site and watch. Also has stopwatch and holds your records too, fastest mile, 5k, 10k etc....

• simonp83 wrote (see)

Is there any way to interface them with runkeeper?

Yes, you can upload your activities from a Garmin to Runkeeper.

• I'd go along with a couple of the comments already made here.

1) Keep it as simple as you need it - don't waste money on features that will go unused.

2) Look at DC Rainmaker's site, it's excellent.

• Going by DCRainmaker's site and a few comments in here, i've ordered myself the Garmin FR10, £89.99 from Currys and should have in time for tomorrow evenings steady run.

• Hi,

I have just managed to get my hands on a Soleus GPS 1.0 (can be had for around £50.00 in the RW Shop, or various other places on line).

I use it mainly just to log my run miles and times.  I set it running on auto lap (which can be adjusted to various mi/km distances), and it automatically takes my mile splits.  I rarely look at it during a run; just the odd glance to check pace/time.  It also gives a crude calories burned based on your settings (sex/age/height/weight), and has a useful night mode where every button press operates the dial illumination.  It seems to be accurate, as all the routes I've run so far are within a few meters of the actual map distance.

It is rechargeable, and I do believe (although I haven't confirmed yet) that the data is downloadable using a USB cable (not supplied).

Even if it can't be downloaded, it is still an absolute bargain at this price.

Chris.

• simonp83 wrote (see)

Going by DCRainmaker's site and a few comments in here, i've ordered myself the Garmin FR10, £89.99 from Currys and should have in time for tomorrow evenings steady run.

Simon how are you finding the FR10? Got mine last year when my Garmin305 died and have to say it does a great job for the money.

• Chris. Quick question. How many connections are on the charging cable and how many on the watch?

• Delighted with my FR10. Absolute steal for the money paid (£80).

• Garmin are a great product. FR10 is easy to use, small and light.

• Yep. first run with my new FR10 today and measured my usual route really well despite the mist and rain. Very happy so far.

• fat face wrote (see)

Chris. Quick question. How many connections are on the charging cable and how many on the watch?

2 on the charging cable; 4 on the watch. 

I managed to get hold of a cable today from my friendly local running shop (The Lincolnshire Runner - Lincoln).  It works a treat, and I can upload to Strava which gives me full route and lap data.  Very happy!

Chris.

• Just what I was going to suggest Chris.

Nice one!!

• Loving the FR10, actually did a run yesterday with runkeeper and the watch and runkeeper was 0.03 miles ahead after a 5.4mile run.  The pace readings are great as well, only thing that has annoyed me is that it's hard to read in the dark, wish you could keep the watch illuminated instead of constantly pressing the button.

• Simon

I agree the illumination button is frustrating, cheap head torch was the easiest fix and has added benefits as well on these dark evenings.

• Hi all, weighing up buying a GPS watch as I currently run with the Nike+ app on my phone but battery is becoming an issue as I don't always have time to charge my phone when I get in from a run. I can find the Garmin forerunner 310XT for about £150 on amazon with the heart rate monitor and the other one I'm seriously considering is the Nike+ sportswatch GPS which if you choose to get it with the footpod sensor (which I would as I occasionally run on the treadmill) is essentially the same price. I know that the Garmin is the superior watch technically and gets better reviews, but I've done about 700 miles with Nike+ and am familiar with their site. Thoughts?

• 15 mile long run today according to my watch, runkeeper reported 15.22 miles, so it's obvious I've been running a little shorter on my long runs with runkeeper.

• I have used the Nike+ Sportswatch GPS for over two years and find it simple to use and reliable. The watch doesn't have much in the way of additional features but for what I need (pace, milage etc) it's spot on. I did buy a Garmin before but found it too fiddly. I would thoroughly recommend the Nike watch and site keeps me well motivated.

• Soleus GPS 1.0 has a night mode.  It lights up for 10 seconds at the press of any button.  It also lights up (and beeps) when the auto lap kicks in.  The accuracy has been unquestionable distance wise, and linking up to Strava, I can see full route maps with pace and  elevation data.  I picked mine up for just shy of £50.00, and got hold of a data cable for £10.00.

If you are on a tight budget, and don't need all the bells and whistles of a Garmin (although this does seem to have some features the Garmin doesn't), then it is certainly worth a look.

Chris. 

• Garmin 310xt. It's been superseded by another model now, so you ought to be able to pick one up quite cheaply.

• So Pudge, you think the Garmin 310xt is a good choice?

Tim, have you had any problems/limitations with the Nike?

• Im in the same boat at the moment, never used a watch before but have been using ipod and Nike+ sensor in shoe and all that jazz.

Garmin FR10 sounds good as ive got no interest in triathlons (for the time being!!) and the key for me is recording/comparing online so if Garmin Connect works well and is useable then i think i may go for the FR10.

Id like to stick with the Nike+ given my history of 2 years using it but the watch price is another £50/60 upfront which is a little more than im willing to spend!

Thanks for the original post Simon and for all the comments all. Really helpful!

• I've been spending some time trying out the nike+ website, and feature wise it hasn't a leg to stand on vs Garmin Connect.

It looks quite flashy, but I have really struggled to work out my splits, times, HR spikes etc. It is nice/creepy to see what all your friends are running though, but still doesn't offer the same stalk quality detail as Garmin Connect does.

But maybe that because I'm importing a Garmin activity?

For me the Garmin wins.

• Big advantage of the Garmin 310 is much longer battery length and you can download training schedules to the watch.

• Also seen that there are tools available online for putting garmin runs onto nike plus, so I can still use that to compete with my friends who use it. 20 hour battery life is definitely a bonus, and the features like the virtual training partner seem exciting and useful for some runs.
  • I think 20 hours from a Garmin 310 is very optimistic. The training partner is quite motivational but if you are over ambitious with your target on a regular basis it can mean that you train too hard.