Opinions required for a new running product

Hi,

I am a final year student at Strathclyde University studying Sports Engineering. As a runner I have noticed that there is a lack of bags suitable for comfortably running to and from work. Therefore for my final year Project I am hoping to design a bag that will allow commuters to make the spontaneous decision to run to or from work but still enable the user to carry all their belongings in a secure and safe manner. The bag needs to be durable, weatherproof and comfortable to run with whilst not inhibiting the motion of the body.

This is an opportunity to influence the development of a new product and your opinion would be greatly appreciated. It should only take 2 minutes of your time.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LVQ3ZSJ

Thank you for your time and if you have any questions do not hesitate to email me at rosie.young@strath.ac.uk

Comments

• Hi Rosie. Don't think there's that much of a vacuum at the moment - I have a few bags that I use for work and back depending on how much rubbish I need to carry from a bum bag if everything's at work to a 25 litre pack if I need to take a pile of papers and my shoes. I don't mean to discourage in any sense, just not sure your initial assumption is correct.

Now if you could design a bag to carry a DSLR and lens safely and comfortably on my back while running, then I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I haven't been able to find anything yet that fits the bill, they either carry the camera safely (regular camera bags) or comfortably (running bags), but not both.

• rosie have a look at Osprey and Deuter make commuter bags,OMM and Inov8 bags as an example the market is well supplied

sorry

• I'm imagining loads of people suddenly able to make the 'spontaneous' decision to run home from work and doing it in suits and shiny shoes with their ties flapping over their shoulders. LOL!

Survey done image

• If you can design a bag that will carry all of the usual gubbins, is small, waterproof and comfortable but above all will store a shirt crease free, then it'll sell.

• What I'd like someone to design, is a better water carrying solution.  These belts with water bottles bouncing up and down. I won't go near them.  Backpacks with bladders... hmmm not sure.

• Hope my survey was usefull, I answered "I never run with a bag." to every question.

• Done the survey. image

For shirts, there's that Shirt Shuttle thing - never tried one as I heard they leave a crease where your tummy button is, also it's easier (and cheaper) to drop off clothes at the start of the week then run in the other days.

The waterproof thing is good, but I stuff anything that needs to be kept dry in a plastic bag and put that in the bag, so I don't consider it essential. If I was out on the trails, I'd probably use a drysack instead of a carrier bag.

• pursuedbyangrybees wrote (see)

Now if you could design a bag to carry a DSLR and lens safely and comfortably on my back while running, then I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I haven't been able to find anything yet that fits the bill, they either carry the camera safely (regular camera bags) or comfortably (running bags), but not both.

i have a lowepro bag that is great for that, straps around the waist too so it doesnt bounce, holds my camera with the 70-200L mounted and a wide angle very secure, side openin for fast access too. 

• pursuedbyangrybees wrote (see)

Done the survey. image

For shirts, there's that Shirt Shuttle thing - never tried one as I heard they leave a crease where your tummy button is, also it's easier (and cheaper) to drop off clothes at the start of the week then run in the other days.

The waterproof thing is good, but I stuff anything that needs to be kept dry in a plastic bag and put that in the bag, so I don't consider it essential. If I was out on the trails, I'd probably use a drysack instead of a carrier bag.

I agree with all of what you've said, and do similar things myself, but reckon a perfect bag would have all those things and not need work-arounds.