Running with portable speakers (X-mini) - is it allowed?

Comments

• If it,s Ealing and he does it, I,m Marshalling and i,m gonna disqualify him, whether i,m allowed to or not!-lol image
  • 'was it really that annoying'?

Yes, I have ran near two women who had a portable radio, they also gabbed at the top of their voices over the noise of the music image.

It was really really f*cking annoying. Anti-social and way out of order...especially, I would add as it was on an ultra and we were out in the peace and quiet of the countryside at the time. Until they came along...

(edited for typo as I was clearly annoyed just at the thought of it!)

• @Millsy - I was aiming for 3:30 but judging by my current shape 3:45 is more realistic. If you are chasing me and look really pissed off I might get to the coveted 3 and a half image

@cougie - don't get me wrong, I'm very much affected by the comments here and I went from super enthusiastic can't-wait-for-the-xminis-to-arrive to considering giving it up. I'll also enquire what the people I run with think about it and if they are of the same opinion I might as well do.

Now that I have the xminis anyway - I'll at least give it a go in the park and see how people react, if I don't get objects hurled at me then at least my music should be tolerable image

• In  a park might be ok... running near someone for more than a minute with these is a pain in the arse.....

I will not print the word that I would use for you if you do go ahead with the plan in a race...incase there are children reading..........but by your first post I assume that you are probably still only 18 and still have time to grow up..image

• Is that word "cockwomble" Seren? image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Stefan,I'm half tempted to enter this race and run alongside you and just talk bollocks the whole way round.
  • Yeah, if it just said headphones he'd be technically okay because no-one would have thought to bean speakers yet, but he said it said 'mp3 players' so I guess he can carry the speakers but not play anything out of them. Unless he has a DiscMan or something! Perhaps he can just sing.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The OP should be affected by the comments made here. The test is whether or not they alter his actions. After all, if you're going to impose the by-products of your own selfish acts on others, you have to expect a reaction.

Eating a sandwich or reading a newspaper isn't going to annoy anyone. Forcing others to listen to a noise over which the perpetrator has choice and control is something else.

He doesn't have to make the racket, he wants to. And the message isn't enjoy my music because I do, its one that says sod the rest of you.

🙂

• Quite.

I'm not sure why you would ask if you were going to go ahead and do it anyway. It seems like a statement of intent about being deliberately annoying - which is a bit weird.

After all the training, a DQ for being a knob is going to be so sweet if it happens and will perhaps remind the OP that the whole world does not, in fact, revolve around him - please keep us posted Dennis!

• Wonder what his playlist will be?

Noise annoys by The Buzzcocks

Remember You're a (cock) Womble by the Wombles

• Banned on the run by Wings

• Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Banned on the run by Wings

That's quite good for you.

• the watches that tell you your pace, HR distance etc. out loud get on my wick never mind this nonsense   

• aren't they usually smart phones, the watches don't they just bleep at you, at x distance or speed etc...

• some watches have voice mode, was with a runner when she pressed a button on the watch and the stats started to ring out, she did it every 5-10 mins, really annoying

•  

S3200H wrote (see)

the watches that tell you your pace, HR distance etc. out loud get on my wick never mind this nonsense   

Oh he's probably got one of those too - just to be on the safe side with the annoying.

• Yup, that's annoying, it's bad enough when i'm out walking with my oh and his phone does that. 

• Someone tried running alongside me during the Guernsey Marathon that was blaring out music from a phone.

Gave me great satisfaction to leave them in my wake on an uphill section.

Set You Free by N'Trance not exactly slow marathon running material, to be honest. I think they might be better advised to go with something a bit more sedate.

I shook them off around the time 2 Unlimited's No Limit piped up. Was very pleased when that finally left my earshot.

• Stefan Kiryazov wrote (see)

No guys, not a wind-up, and sorry for not showing up - I thought I'd get email notifications if someone is replying, which I didn't. It's a serious question and I really didn't expect such a negative reaction - I'll reconsider, although I'm not completely sold yet image I'm surprised that hearing someone else's music selection can be such a dreadful experience.

My reasoning is that even if someone doesn't like my taste of music - it's highly unlikely that they'll spend more than 10 minutes within hearing distance. Also, I've run at events where there's been bands playing around the road, people blasting music from their homes at the London marathon, etc - and I've always found it cool and motivating, even if it's not my favourite music - and I have a pretty narrow taste. 

Anyway, thanks for the honest opinions, please share further trhoughts, especially if you've seen someone doing it - was it really that annoying? As for the threats - you'll need to catch me first to tie my shoelaces or whatever - if you hear the annoying guy with the two xminis - try to get me, I dare you image

This is the sort of anti-social thinking that makes travelling on the bus, the train or the underground so dispiriting at times. I love music, but I don't think for one minute that everyone around me is going to appreciate it. And when I go running, I like most of the time to take in my surroundings, to hear the ambient noise, whether that's the sound of nature or the sound of humanity going about its business. Who on earth are you to dictate to me what's motivating and what goes through my ears?

• ivor wrote (see)

Someone tried running alongside me during the Guernsey Marathon that was blaring out music from a phone.

Gave me great satisfaction to leave them in my wake on an uphill section.

Set You Free by N'Trance not exactly slow marathon running material, to be honest. I think they might be better advised to go with something a bit more sedate.

I shook them off around the time 2 Unlimited's No Limit piped up. Was very pleased when that finally left my earshot.

I think in your shoes I might have 'stumbled' and knocked the phone out of his hand...

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Banned on the run by Wings

That's quite good for you.

shows his age though..but yes.made me smile  image

• Peter Collins wrote (see)
    Stefan Kiryazov wrote (see)

No guys, not a wind-up, and sorry for not showing up - I thought I'd get email notifications if someone is replying, which I didn't. It's a serious question and I really didn't expect such a negative reaction - I'll reconsider, although I'm not completely sold yet image I'm surprised that hearing someone else's music selection can be such a dreadful experience.

My reasoning is that even if someone doesn't like my taste of music - it's highly unlikely that they'll spend more than 10 minutes within hearing distance. Also, I've run at events where there's been bands playing around the road, people blasting music from their homes at the London marathon, etc - and I've always found it cool and motivating, even if it's not my favourite music - and I have a pretty narrow taste. 

Anyway, thanks for the honest opinions, please share further trhoughts, especially if you've seen someone doing it - was it really that annoying? As for the threats - you'll need to catch me first to tie my shoelaces or whatever - if you hear the annoying guy with the two xminis - try to get me, I dare you image

This is the sort of anti-social thinking that makes travelling on the bus, the train or the underground so dispiriting at times. I love music, but I don't think for one minute that everyone around me is going to appreciate it. And when I go running, I like most of the time to take in my surroundings, to hear the ambient noise, whether that's the sound of nature or the sound of humanity going about its business. Who on earth are you to dictate to me what's motivating and what goes through my ears?

All that. Plus, it's never Beethoven or Chopin is it?

• Did they have 180bpm music back then?

Yes.  It's not all 'smooth classics' a la Classic FM.  Metronomes were used by classical musicians before rock and roll was a glint in anyone's eye!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Stefan, you should ignore all these miserable types.  They do want to hear your music, they're just in denial.  I suggest 'Cotton Eye Joe' by the Rednex on a loop, or maybe some Vengaboys.  I see two possible outcomes: (1) all your fellow runners will be lifted and motivated and spurred on to a PB, and thank you profusely with free drinks and payment "in kind" afterwards; or (2) you will be assaulted.  Either way, it will add to the rich tapestry of life.

If the music device itself is banned rather than just the headphones, you could always consider beat-boxing the whole way round?

• I'm really surprised by this thread but I reckon the OP doesn't mean to offend, he genuinely bizarrely thinks that other runners may appreciate him playing his own music out of some portable speakers for motivation or suchlike.

I actually wouldn't mind to have to listen as long as the other person had good taste in music. My ideal playlist would be a few 90s dance anthems, followed by tracks by the Stone Roses, The Smiths and Bruce Springsteen. But I have to reiterate what someone said...people who play music aloud in public tend to play god awful stuff.

In all seriousness OP, you playing music out of speakers will not benefit anyone running the race. Not your fellow runners nor yourself as they will not thank you for it. Besides the fact, how could you be bothered to carry them round with you anyway? image

Running and music go hand in hand for some people, I have friends who wouldn't dream of running without it, but believe me, running is as enjoyable, if not more, without music. I say this as a big fan of both! Create your own soundtrack in your head if you want ( I do this), look at the scenery as you pass by, listen to the world, chat with fellow runners, enjoy your race.  But don't bring the speakers image