Options

10 top marathons

2»

Comments

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Tromso's one I really fancy, despite it involving a few lengthy out-and-back sections.

Pretty much every other race I'd like to run is on here; I've got Paris in a few weeks and Berlin for my first major in September.  Planning Disney in January and hopefully Chicago next October is I can get the qualifying time.

Athens was meant to be my first but I was injured - it was great being in the stadium all afternoon watching the runners finish, though.  I'd like to go back and do the Athens - Istanbul double; they've been a week apart the last couple of years.

• Options

Meadower - a friend of mine did the Athens/Istanbul double last year - he loved it.

I've run: London, Poole (no longer scheduled), Rome & Kent Roadrunner.

Booked in for this year: Brighton, Kent RR (again) and Abingdon

I'd recommend Rome - sheer historic value, and Kent RR for atmosphere amongst the runners.

I've done the Bacchus Half Marathon and similar to Medoc - 7 wine stations for the HM and 14 for the marathon image

• Options

On my "To-Do" list:

Boston, NY, Tromso, Loch Ness, Nice-Cannes, Barcelona

• Options

I've only done two: Purbeck and London (about as different from each other as you can get). I'd do both again and will probably try again for London in 2024 (10 years after my first).

Not mega keen on road marathons but am doing the first Bristol to Bath Marathon in October and would quite like a crack at Snowdonia one year because it sounds flipping hard! Medoc sounds fun but I just can't see how heat, red wine and marathon running could possibly end well!

Trail wise, I'm doing Stroud in 6 weeks, which is a local one to me and quite fancy the look of some of the endurance life coastal ones for future years. I'll be sticking mainly to trail races unless something special catches my eye.

Don't discount trail marathons Andy, there are some really beautiful ones out there.

• Options

I'd love to do the Fuji Marathon - the start line is near sea level and the finish line is at the top of the mountain (3776m).

Amazing views of the Japanese countryside.

Actually, thinking about it, I'd just like to be fit enough to do it...

The Antarctic marathon looks like a fun idea.

• Options

Snowdon, beachy head and the giants head marathon. Are my 3 best for this country

• Options
    CotswoldRunner wrote (see)

Don't discount trail marathons Andy, there are some really beautiful ones out there.

I'll be honest that I've looked at the CTS endurance events.  I need to sort my diary to get to one.

i'm looking forward to the Endure24 this year too. I'm in a team but hope to get 25 or 30 miles in the 24 hours.  That's all cross-country.

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Medoc....

.....and I have entry for it this year, after 3 attempts image

• Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Nessie wrote (see)

Las Vegas

I have done Las Vegas as well, but I would recommend the half. The difference between a marathon and a half are that you usually lose the day before and after the race for rest and recovery while a half you can just rap up in a 4 to 5 hour window. Also, the extra 13 miles in Vegas are not the most interesting ones.
    Saying that, I am happy to have done it image

I would recommend Marine Corps marathon in Washington as an event. The peoples marathon where a 3:46 saw me in the top10% of all finishers. Americans are crazy for it, I just found it nice.

Davos Swiss Alpine Marathon. Done the K42 twice, liked it a few years ago, hated it last year, but liked having it done.

The rest of the ones like are already mentioned by others.

As for what I need to tick of my list, NY, Boston (will never qualify), possibly Tokyo and Chicago, just to finish the masters off. Disney sounds good, Reykjavik (possibly the half this year).

• Options

I have only done Bournemouth so far, which I would mostly recommend, the last 6 miles being a bit dull, and doing Bristol to Bath in October.

I most want to do the Great Wall. Followed by Tokyo, New York, and I like the sound of Medoc too!

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

I'd recommend London, Boston Tokyo.

Honourable mentions for Dublin, Amsterdam, Valencia, Berlin and Barcelona. Kielder for some off road fun.

Indifferent about Frankfurt, Marathon of the North

Avoid at all costs Edinburgh x 2 . The dullest marathon I've done twice image.

Looking for a European marathon to do in the Autumn if anyone's got any top tips.

• Options

Thoroughly recommend Snowdonia.

Would like to do Loch Ness and Rome.

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭
    andyp wrote (see)

Meadower - a friend of mine did the Athens/Istanbul double last year - he loved it.

Good to hear; this just makes me even more determined to get them done in the nearish future.

Steve J - Loch Ness is great, that was my first.  I fancy Snowdonia, it's on the list image

• Options

Done 21 marathons since 2007 my 1st being in Istanbul. Best for crowds London 2014 & New York 2014 best for runners Boston 2015 best for scenery 2 Oceans Cape town 56k so really an ultra, best finish line Athens 2012 the 2,500 year anniversary of the original marathon. Finishing in the 1896 Olympic stadium was spectacular. Most boring Dubai where I live 21k along the beach road, turn around and run back again. 

Bucket list Tokyo & Berlin which I am in for 2016 then Chicago to complete the big 6.

PC Leasby: Munich is a good autumn marathon beer at the 38k mark…….