Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

Orbutt - going to hit the bike for a week and only do short runs then see how it goes. Should be ok for Berlin but have to wait and see whether it's a finish or time goal.

RS - you still on for the GNR?

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

not really been on for a number of weeks and cannot believe the carnage on here with injuries and people losing thier mojo for running. Having just completed another 60 mile week with a 2:45 20miles yesterday i was worried i was undercut but crikey what has happened to everyone! Never seen such depression before a race - come on even if we cannot run our best on the day, what a day to take part in, running around a famous city with a million people cheering us on, many in awe of us even finishing. 

There is just over 5 weeks to go - its amazing how much we can improve with a few weeks of good training - so come on and get your mojo's back - two weeks of hard training then the taper can start. 

anyway - many of you can count yourselves lucky - this coming week i have no kids around as they are staying at my mothers for a week so i was looking forward to a big week of stress free running - but my missus destroyed that by saying as we have no kids she can come running with me!!! Let the aurguments begin!

• Sir John a Lot wrote (see)

Has anyone had wisdom teeth removed ? Having 5, possibly 6 teeth removed on wed under general anaesthetic and want to get to running ASAP. Anyone any experience ? 

John - no experience but I guess you're going to want to give yourself 3-5 days off (seriously) as you'll feel wrecked after the GA. I'm sure your dentist will advise you appropriately. Good luck dude.

• Mojo not fully reinstated but 10 miles done bright and early this morning! image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm feeling a little tired after the 30 miler and marathon this weekend. It wasn't a good weekend stomach wise so I need to work out what went wrong.

How is everyone else feeling? When is everyone doing their last long run?

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Orbutt - going to hit the bike for a week and only do short runs then see how it goes. Should be ok for Berlin but have to wait and see whether it's a finish or time goal.

RS - you still on for the GNR?

yup, I'm on for gnr. Should be able to get back to running after calf/achilles has had a week to heal.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Andy - I got my mojo back and I'm really looking forward to it now. 

Have I done enough? Nope but there's nothing I can do about it without breaking out the TARDIS. 

Thought I'd give you a bit of a chuckle with a word of the week, from the Berlin website. 

"Please be there at least 45 minutes before the start to avoid hecticness."

• 23.5k done today, felt dreadful and was really slow.

Let myself get dehydrated and probably haven't recovered fully from giving blood Friday.

Still, running is awesome. I will do Berlin properly one day...!

• Good run Iain, and you keep telling me to keep hydrated?

• hi all - good to see all the training going on for berlin, its getting close now! i had worried i would miss it myself, with an achilles injury but 10 days rest and icing / massage seems to have helped it, and i hope now to be fit for it - that said, after my 18 miler on sunday, i have some tightness on the outer thigh so seems to be one thing after another!  only another 3 weeks until taper though, keep the running going!

• Strange kind of build up for me.

Training began very well, then my Garmin broke (didn’t realise how much I relied on it) and then it got really hot which has affected my long runs.

Did a half marathon 3 weeks ago expecting a sub 1.40 PB, managed 1.46 (was a bit hilly and pretty hot) which was a bit of a confidence dent.

Then went away for a couple of weeks and managed to run 8 times (45-55 min plodding rather than anything structured).

Wasn’t sure what kind of shape I was in on returning but managed my longest run last Friday (2hr 50 mins) – not sure how far?! I am hoping that all that running in the heat has helped.

This Saturday I am doing the Thames Meander marathon, using this strictly as a training run so won’t be looking for a PB or anything like that (although having said that my original target for Berlin was 3.30 (which will probably be raised to 3.40-3.45) and my PB is 3.59 so it is possible.

Looks like it is going to be hot again so really not sure where I am at this moment?!!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

JasonReid - It could be your IT band, which runs from knee to hip on the outside. There are a few really good stretches that are easy to do (effectively pushing out aginst the hurty bit.).

I also use a trigger point foam roller - the Orange Roller Of Doom (OROD) - which hurts lots, in a good way.

Richard Hill. I thought my Garmin had died, so I contacted them. It was out of warrantee but for a fee (a lot cheaper than full price) they offered to replace it. Might be worth a go.

I really had trouble in the heat too but this coincided with an injury so I missed the worst of it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

We do love our OROD's around here. 

Richard Hill 17 wrote (see)

This Saturday I am doing the Thames Meander marathon, using this strictly as a training run so won’t be looking for a PB or anything like that (although having said that my original target for Berlin was 3.30 (which will probably be raised to 3.40-3.45) and my PB is 3.59 so it is possible.

Looks like it is going to be hot again so really not sure where I am at this moment?!!

Be sure to give me a wave as I eat your dust this weekend image The weather can be really mixed. Last year it was too hot for the start and then there was a huge thunderstorm! image

• Emmy - will look out for you

not sure what to expect from this one - just hoping for some shade along the river!

• Sadly with me being plagued with ijuries I am going to adopt a run/walk stratergy image my longest run was a 13miler and I dont want to burn out at around 20miles image Also with my current ankle injury ... I wont be able to cram any more last min training ... this is so frustraiting! aha ... good luck in the Thames Meander Marathon guys!! 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Donkey - sounds like a wise move. Cramming could lead to more injury.

What strategy will you adopt? Run a distance, walk the same? Run a time, walk the same? 

• David White 20 wrote (see)

Good run Iain, and you keep telling me to keep hydrated?

David - ha, typical doctor! How's it going with you?

Donkey - I'm likely to employ a similar strategy now. Was thinking of deferring but really can't face that - and I love Berlin so am looking forward to simply being there... 

Emmy and Richard - good luck on the Thames, you madheads!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Iain  wassup?

BTW - we're in planning mode. What was the name of the pub you went to last year and where is it?

Priorities image

• Orbutt - hi dude. I see we have a new left back. And a rejuvenated South American striker. Ha!

The Berlin pub was the Georgbraeu Brauhaus:

http://www.georgbraeu.de/default.aspx?alias=www.georgbraeu.de&lang=en-GB

It's central, lovely beer, hearty - and I do mean hearty - food. David and I met there last year but managed to miss everyone else. The only thing was not a huge amount within walking distance, but the pub itself is pretty cool. It's near Alexanderplatz if memory serves. 

You said your nephew recommended a place for food Saturday?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Iain - I watched them on TV on Saturday and at times they looked good. Last year they would have played like that and lost or drawn - so hopeful.

You having injury problems?

My nephew recomended Spaghetti Western on Torstrasse "the food is great, although the service is not great" http://www.spaghettiwestern.de/ .

Anyone else got any recommendations?

• I was thinking of running the first 4/5 miles (just so I don't annoy people at the crowded part by walking in front of them) ... and then run 4mins .. walk 1 min image what's your opinion on this?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Donkey - sounds like a plan. I think run/walk based on time periods is the better approach. You can always tailor it as you go along too.

• Donkey - agree with Orbutt. I was thinking the same myself. Get the first 10k done then run/walk. I know what will happen - pride will strike. I'll end up running to 15 and breaking down totally. Ah well. Something else to look forward to!

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

To add to the growing sense of mojo on here last night I completed my best workout in months.  9.2M including 10x800m with 3min recoveries.  All 800's were completed in between 3:01 and 3:19 until the last one when I stuck my foot down and rattled in a 2:56.  Beginning to feel a little something brewing.  Now for my first 20 miler on Friday morning, I feel ready to get stuck in!!!

ps. hecticness - love it!!!!

• The running mojo seems to have made a triumphant comeback tonight as me and my training partner rattled out a 10 mile run averaging 7:37 per mile. Felt really strong last 2 miles and felt great at the end, still buzzing right now. Sitting here writing my post with some ice on the achillies as a precaution, but it didn't feel too bad during the run. Going to try a 20 miler at a slow pace on Saturday, hoping this run will increase my confidence for Berlin.

Iain - Still have not heard from the hospital regarding the xray I had on my kidneys last month although I have a date to go back in September. Don't think I've passed it yet. Agree with you on the Georgbraeu, the Beer and the food is great. Think we should try the rack of beers like the young chaps behind us had though!

Cracking running Monk good luck with the 20 miler on Friday.

• David - hopefully it's gone with no more worries. Agree re: the rack of beers... No more alcohol for me til GNR (well, just have to with the post-run curry...!) then Berlin! Are you down for the GNR this year?

Now, also need to cut out the ice cream and chocolate too...!

(And do some running)

• Yip, it's Great North Run number 8 for me this year. I'm staying off the beers as well till then.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DW - Brilliant. The Return of the Mojo image Great pace.Good idea icing too, can't do any harm.

I'm liking the sound of this pub, I do like a sampler board image