Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done David! You're right - once you're in Berlin - those last 6 miles will be easy image

marathon done today and oh my! It was a wet one! I've never been so wet! Feeling a little tired but happy to have done it!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - with 24 marathons under your belt, have you ever run one where the last 6 miles were easy?

Tricky Dicky once said to me "let's face it, the last 6 miles are going to hurt". I think it's a question of degrees - from 'oh boy that hurt' to 'kill me now'. 

DW - superb running. I'd be very happy with 2:49 for 20 miles on race day. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - yes. One or two and the reason was pacing in the first 20 miles. Yes, they were 'uncomfortable' but no more than mile 16 or 18. i think its largely mental and training based (At least for me). 

The ones where it's felt 'easier' ive normally had someone there as well. Having someone to talk to an make the miles pass easier and most of all to share the experience is a great help.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Also, with the crowds that you have in Berlin - they will carry you through.

• 21 miles done here! Nothing speedy but done.image

• Hi all,

Good to see most are doing well with the training.  Berlin will be my 10th mara and after a PW at VLM really want to put in a good performance. My training is going well, so far, ran my 7th 20miler (or above) on Friday -  very warm but good training.  Anyone had their race confirmation yet, thought they were meant to be out mid Aug?Anyone with Berlin experience know if there are pacers(apart from the speedy guys at the front)

• No confirmation yet, and yes there are pacers or there were two years ago! 

Holy Moly your putting in some training Barry.......7 x 20+ milers..........gulp......

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

20 done...wet out but worth the caffe nero milkshake reward on finish.

The thought of the last 6 miles certainly does concern me and read with interest your posts but also working hard on mindset and using this forum as a crutch/inspiration.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done Barry B, KAz and EHN on some superb miles this morning! image

EHN - Initially I was told to "fear" the last 6 miles as it's a 20 mile warm up for a 10km race.... and then I started hanging around with a few crazy people that run ultras/multi marathons and it's their input and mindset that has really helped me 'conquer' the fear and look at it differently.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

About to set of on a 23 miler - some good running on here today so I have all the encouragement I need 

• 20 miles done! Confirmation is mid-September.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

There are some big distances being run - superb.

Emmy - any tips on not fearing the last 6? I have real self defeating mental issues at big distance.

Went out thinking of running 32k but cut it short to finish with 30.5 - my fuel tank was just on empty.

I tried to run with a gel/water mix, with additional water for thirst, but I always get very thirsty later on and I get to the point where I just don't want any more fluids.

I tried a chocolate energy bar today but it was too much like hard work to chew/run/breathe so I won't do that again. Maybe try jelly babies.

• They stick in your teeth Orbutt!! Well done on the run! 

• Well done on all the good running this weekendimage Looks like the mojo concerns from last week have been totally eradicated. 

Orbutt- Good running there. I had the same thoughts yesterday after my run, how will I manage another 6 miles? Now 24 hours after my run I'm feeling a little bit more confident. I feel that with at least 2 more big ones my confidence will get stronger, although I'm only looking at getting round the course. Hope you get that feeling tomorrow and like me you can't wait to get out for a big one next weekend.

On the subject of gels ect, my training partner is having trouble stomaching them. Has anyone tried shot blocks?

• I have stomach issues with most things and shot bloks are no different - laxatives in disguise!image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Didn't go the whole 23 after all, did a 2h 30m 20miles but at mile 20 was a McDonalds and it beat me again - I need a loyalty card for that place! Top running all round, one more week of it and then we can all start to taper off a little bit image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Andy you're a beast - in the best possible way.

DW I tried shotbloks but they stuck in my teeth too much (damn, I was interested in jelly babies tooimage)

• News from the organisers of the Berlin Marathon is that we have to pick up our own race numbers and we can't pick up for anyone else as we have to show ID. This could be a major problem for runners who have organised flights that will see them arrive in Germany after 6pm on the Saturday before the race. I remember from last years forum that in this situation other members of the forum volunteered to pick up on their behalf and meet up later to collect. As well as this a wristband which gets you into the start area on raceday will be tied around your wrist and you are advised not to take it off before leaving the finish area on raceday as access to the starting block will be denied to all people without a duly tied wristband.

Got this from the official site

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/event/participant-info.html

Andy- Think we need to find you a route avoiding McD'simage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - any tips on not fearing the last 6? I have real self defeating mental issues at big distance.

I tried to run with a gel/water mix, with additional water for thirst, but I always get very thirsty later on and I get to the point where I just don't want any more fluids.

I tried a chocolate energy bar today but it was too much like hard work to chew/run/breathe so I won't do that again. Maybe try jelly babies.

There's a few things that I do. As I'm running the distance - I give myself little "high 5's" along the way:

• 6 miles,
    • 10 miles (first time into double figures)
    • 16 miles (countdown into single miles begins),
    • 18 miles (it's only a MWLR now)
    • 20 miles (6 miles to go, piece of cake, I could walk this and finish it)

I'll also use "treats" to myself. Once I said: I'll not put on my ipod until 20 miles and the last 6 with music were easy. Alternatively - food. I'll give myself a jelly baby/something different at 20miles and it's something to look forward to.

RE: Energy. What gels are you using? I'm on hi-5 and mix these with water and it's fine. Are you fuelling correctly before your run? Jelly babies can be sticky as well - it depends on which ones you use. Tesco own brand jelly babies seem to dissolve pretty quickly in comparison to other brands.

David White 20 wrote (see)

On the subject of gels ect, my training partner is having trouble stomaching them. Has anyone tried shot blocks?

I used to use shot bloks but have moved away from them recently. I used to use them as a mix with gels. 1 gel, 1 shot blok. They were alright. I used to put them into my cheek and let them dissolve. You could also try cubes of jelly - it's basically the same.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hmm. Mental games. I'll give them a go. Like the sound of a reward too but I don't run with music, so it would have to be sweeties image

I use Hi 5 gels too but even mixed with water they start to make me thirsty, image and I was fully porridged up and hydrated before the run.

More experimenting needed image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It's whatever works for you. When I was training for my first marathon my mum used to cycle and she 'rewarded' me with some flat coke at 20 miles. It was god's elixor at that time! I play mental games with myself - remembering how many people i've seen etc.

It's not just about the morning of the run - what are you eating/drinking the day before? Before the big day you should have a bottle of water always with you to make sure that you're hydrated.

When do you start to drink during a marathon/training run? Are you sipping something from early on? Normally if you're thirsty towards the end - you're becoming too dehydrated. If you take a mouthful every few miles (dependent upon the temperatures) and see how you feel. I always find that i'm thirstier between miels 15-19 and then i'm fine.

Experimentation is fun! image

• Anyone else got any more tips? image im finding these very useful image 

Berlin will be my first marathon and sadly due to a recent injury my training will result in me only covering 14 miles (my longest run) image ... my doctor has said that if I dont do any running until the marathon then I should have recovered to run it image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Donkey - what sort of advice are you looking for? Nutrition? or?

• my biggest tip mind game wise is run the last 6 first.

I had a crazy week... job interview on tuesday, department inspection on wednesday. Felt shattered and barely finished a run all week. Went out for a hilly 5k Saturday at about 1pm and quit around 500m in... went out again at 6 bexaise i was disgusted with myself and ran a hilly 5k on my own in 18:41! Sunday ran a 20miler (53laps of a playing field) in 2:30... died at around 17-18 but got it done. Very happy my pace is not as bad as i thought. Last 6 miles will be tough!

i find with gels i have to fuel early and after 15miles there is zero chance of me being able to digest them so i have 3-4 early on.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Ciaran - 53 laps? How do you keep count, I'd lose track?

Today I have been planning Mrs O's spectating spots and I think I've got 5 points along the way - all using a single train line. Yay

• i count it in 10s... it was hard work though.

glad everyone appears to be picking up a bit and the excitement is building. 

i have the marathon and a new job to look forward to!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

I always start with a powerade or lucozade and that is mine for the race and I only use it ion the same way and time as I would in training. I will still take water and juice at each station but only sips. By mile 22 I expect to have finished it and then I hunt for jelly babies. I always think of the last 6 miles as just doing another daily short run, the same run I have done three times a week for the last 18 weeks

• andyc/Ciaran - Nice quick 20's.

Orbutt -  You have a good OH if they can follow you around the course.  Mine could n't find the finish line at Florence last year and we ended up meeting back at the hotel some time after where I was told she had no problem finding Prada and Gucci etc but could n't find the finish. There were a few words.image

If you are racing it the last 6 miles are going to be tough, try and switch off and ignore the pain, try not to stop and walk as once you have done it, it is so easy to stop again.  I try and think it will only be a matter of time and I will be at the finish line. I really struggle from mile 20 to take gels.

6 miles for me today the middle 4 quick. 

• Goodness. You've all been busy today. Been at work image

I have a Garmin question please.

My Forerunner 210 has stopped working. It tells me 'Memory Full' all the time and although it finds satellites, it won't even start saving my run.

I've been deleting my activities as the memory was nearly full last month. 

Could I have deleted the memory too??

Thanks for any advice. (I can't afford a new one!)

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Iain - looks like a common problem where something else is writing stuff to your watch thinking its another drive. As the other stuff isn't written by your watch, then the watch doesn't delete it. Find the stuff and delete it.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?29005-Memory-Full-Problem-and-Solution