Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Emmy - Yup. Me. Despite all sense otherwise.

• Options

i did it even though i said i wouldn't - done Berlin twice but the temptation of teh fast course is always there.

• Options

Just booked my hotel and flights for Boston and damn its cheap over there even for a race weekend. Flights are only £500 as well. Think i might have to do more in the States image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I'm planning Denver for October next year - I couldn't do an Emmy and do them both image

• Options

Hey Andy, I'm doing Boston and can't wait! Should have been running this year but suffered a prolapsed disc just before we left. Went anyway (as it was all booked and paid for) and it took me 56 minutes to walk the 5k on the Sunday image Really enjoyed the city but obviously completely devastated by what happened. Think it's going to be emotional next year.

Chuffed to bits to finish Berlin in 3:36 had the disc operation in May so training has been a bit tricky to say the least 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - Yes you could ;0) We could do it!

Well done to Nicola for Boston and your great time in Berlin!

I've also signed up.... not entirely sure why either...

• Options

AndyC, I booked a dorm bed in the HI Hostel in Chinatown. Even that's $50 a night! Flights over £500 from Scotland, but I've always found food to be pretty cheap in the US, or maybe just the places I eat.

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

I confess I have entered Berlin ballot ..but only because husband has his secure place...and Paris well I've been looking ..keeping my nerve and not looking too much at the forum as I know I'll weaken-but as soon as it is down to last 8000 then crunch time ..I can only manage 1 marathon a year mentally & physically.. if that image !!!

• Options

so there is a few of us going over - think it is going to be something really special next year - somehting to really say you where there. We have booked the Hilton in the Cambridge disctrict which overlooks the river and the downtown skyline - kind of had to do something good as it is part of the honeymoon image - 

• Options

Sounds v romantic Andy, we're staying at the Omni Parker House which is Downtown I think. Have you been before? I have never known a city so completely taken over by the marathon. it is unbelievably brilliant.  Maybe we should start a Boston thread somewhere?

Thanks very much Emmy, I am still pinching myself. Crossed the finish line and immediately bust into tears.

• Options

C Adams,  here's the Garmin route from my run.  Hope it's ok for you

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/383893040

• Options

Ehn - you know you wanna...image

Forgot to say, to the guys we missed in the pub. Really really sorry about that!  I got the flag out as soon as I arrived but didn't think they'd have appreciated me dancing around the pub with it. Come to Paris!  There's no way you'll miss the drinks there. We take over a floor!

• Options

Radar Sal- Sorry for spilling my beer on your flagimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

David - did she make you lick it off?

• Options

Emmy- She wasn't happy about it, but the guys last week we're really good company, had a really good nite. Jim bob was trying his best to get me signed up for Paris! 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol. I can imaginr. The flag is sacredimage

See you in paris then? That jimbob doesnt take no for an answerimage

• Options

Just been given a last minute place in congleton half tomorrow - did a six miler last night and legs were ok so took the plunge. Hate this running bug!!

• Options

Anyone done Amsterdam before ?

• Options

Twice - nice race, stadium start and city for the first part then suddenly down Amstel river - this bit can get a bit windy - then back into city. Deffo flat and really love the race and would recommend it.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Sir John. There's a thread for Amsterdam if you're going. I'll be there celebrating my sisters birthday by running a marathon with her (Crazy family we are).

its a flat PB course but it can get windy out on the canals.

• Options

Sir john a lot - got my sub 4 there last year. Good start and finish, rest is a bit boring. Watch out for when you're coming back in along the canal. Very narrow and I had to weave and gently nudge past a few people. 

• Options

Next year I'm looking at options. At moment York, Kielder or Amsterdam. Did Chester last year but want a different one. Mrs Sir John a Lot has given me free pass to anywhere within reason. Kielder looks lovely

• Options

Another thumbs up for Amsterdam.  So easy to get around, there's loads of English over there too, course is a nice mixture of city - river - city although in fairness the latter half is perhaps a little on the dull side as it's industrial.  But overall apart from the underpass at 23M it is as flat as you would want.  I did it last year, flight was cheap (£120) accomodation was about the same, good technical t-shirt and I will definitely return, perhaps in 2015.

By the way, anyone get their time put on the Adidas Mi Time wristband?  I did and was well lucky on the Monday at the store.  There was a nice orderley queue formed and I was in the first 15 or so.  As the doors opened I thought look lively here cos I bet this turns into a free-for-all and sure enough it did.  Managed to be quick on my toes and got mine done.  Not left my wrist since - along with the blue wristband.

• Options

Another option is Snowdon, looks brilliant.  UK's toughest ?  What a challenge

• Options

did a 1:30 at congleton today on undulating course - boy does a marathon take it out of your legs - they felt like dead weights out there - absolutley no power in them up some of the hills. Anyone else back running yet?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I will be back running Tuesday. Emmy did the Brussels Marathon on Sunday !!

There's a half near me, next Sunday, and I didn't enter as I wasn't sure how I'd feel after Berlin.

I now wish that I had - and entries have closed image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Monk. We did it as well on Monday. Had a small wait but nothing critical.

does anyone know where you can find the compression socks with the Berlin motif on the back?

orbutt is right- I. Ran Brussels marathon yesterday. Very hilly :/ but a nice bimble.

• Options

Well. It's been 2 weeks. And it was fab.

Still not back to running yet but that will come.

Thanks for your company and advice - good luck guys.

Iain

• Options

I can tell you Kielder is that bit different. Lovely route. Undualting throughout. None of the hills are so brutal as to zap your motivation but it does not qualify as a pb course. That in itself is nice as it takes the weight of expectation off and you can just enjoy the run.