How safe is it to run alone after dark?

2»

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Wilkie, totally agree that I'd rather not get hurt at all, but I don't really think it's likely which is why I take the risk. I certainly wouldn't run in the dark on paths I didn't already know well from daytime running , though!

• It's far to dangerous to go out after dark  and anyone who does so is asking for trouble.

I was sat with my mates in the park and a  pack of runners wearing headtorches

started heading in our direction.  A couple of my mates wanted to leg it but i knew we couldn't out-run  all of them.  I told them all to freeze and play dead.

Luckily it worked and the pack passed us by without any questions as to the whereabouts of  the nearest macdonalds.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    DF3, why is running in Bradford dangerous? Are you a habitual WUM? For sure areas like Manningham or Delph Hill are rough, but I'd sooner run there than say Soho Road or Lozells in Birmingham. It may surprise some but parts of Bradford aren't that bad, granted there are no Kensington, Little Aston or Four Oaks pockets of wealth but the BD postcode includes some nice rural areas.

The only time I've had any thing untowards happen is a McD's milkshake and a marker pen thrown from moving cars, both in nice areas of Birmingham. Like everyday life, act sensibly and be aware of your surroundings to reduce the risk. As Wilkie rightly says,I'm not running through the park in the dark because I don't want to trip, not because a nutter is waiting in the bushes on the off chance a middle aged mad trundles past.

I get more trouble from middle class dog owners in the park than chavs in hoodies comparing wheels on their Saxos.