July runnersworld - body of evidence (Poliquin) article

Ironic given the name of the article but this is utter tripe, right?

Comments

• Steaming and malodorous pile of tosh, IMHO. Seems to be a big trend in 'RW staffer tries crackpot idea then reports that, though they can't prove it, it may just work' (complete with links to find out more, from our trusted partners)

Will be cancelling my subscription if this piffle continues.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

For those of us that don't read the mag, would you care to elaborate so that we can all point and laugh? Ta.  image

• If you google biosignature and poliquin you might find some info about it. Supposedly where you gold fat on your body is due to different problems. eg fat back; too many carbs. Fat belly; stress. Fat knees; low growth hormone. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That just reinforces the reasons I don't buy the magazine any more.
  • The recipies are good though, I'd much rather improve my LT by eating an almond slice than by actually running.image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    JMopper wrote (see)

If you google biosignature and poliquin you might find some info about it. Supposedly where you gold fat on your body is due to different problems. eg fat back; too many carbs. Fat belly; stress. Fat knees; low growth hormone. 

Gotcha! I'm no expert but a few sessions of reflexology and a reiki head massage should sort that shit out.

• alright the last two posts had me laughing imageimage

• I thought it was something out of Star Wars

• Just be glad they attempt to write something original.  Most of July UK was already in the USA version in April.  Same runner on the cover, (reported as Laura Mesa from Manhattan) and same banner on weight loss. (Just google it to see).

Laughable how they pass off articles as their own when many are plagiarised lock stock and barrel.  

• JMopper wrote (see)

If you google biosignature and poliquin you might find some info about it. Supposedly where you gold fat on your body is due to different problems. eg fat back; too many carbs. Fat belly; stress. Fat knees; low growth hormone. 

I haven't seen the RW article, but your summary above doesn't sound obviously impossible. It is very well established (see for example "body shape" article on wikipedia) that where and how much fat is deposited is largely determined by hormones. (For example, administering HGH to people tends to make them lose fat; estrogen in both men and women makes them tend to store fat on the bottom; or see for example humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/suppl_1/21.full.pdf)

And it is also well established that things like stress and dietary composition affect hormone balances. So while I have no idea if Poliquin said some much more crazy things that you haven't quoted, the idea that fat location gives you a clue about problems, doesn't seem entirely far fetched?

• Im not entirely convinced - otherwise you could manipulate where you want to put fat on right? I'll bet 90% of fat deposits are the same for most folks - and in that 10% variance most of it will be accounted for by genetics. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the differences in amounts of fat will have something to do with the type of muscle fibres in those places.

Ok I dont have any studies to back this up, but then does Poliquin?

(oh and the thing which did it for me was the advice to not use plastic food containers, avoid tap water and only use organic cosmetics to help combat one of the types of fat)

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Tap water... that is bad shit.... my granddad used to drink tap water and he DIED image

But he was 91 years old.....

• Until they rename their magazine Prancersisers' World, I'm not spending a penny on it. (I know, technically I am a subscriber, but only because I had some Vodafone loyalty points to use up).

• Not read the article, but re the plastic food containers it is because they contain BPA which leeches out of you keep reusing these containers, and isn't good for you - don't know enough about it to say why, but you can google it.  Lots of plastics made BPA-free now for that reason.

The tap water comment may be because of the amount of chlorine added to it, so i'm assuming he'll mean to filter it first. 

Not sure what these have to do with fat so much as trying to stop us ingesting chemicals we don't need. 

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Is there a stretch that will cure all injuries, or a cake that will smash my pb, or curry that will help recovery, because if there isn't you can count me out. I buy Dieter's World for the excellent articles on improving my lactate threshold and how to improve my marathon pb with such rubbish as training hard without curry and cakes.