ParkRun

2»

Comments

• I did my first one last Saturday and it's probably going to be my last, I didn't enjoy it at all!  I discovered lots of stuff about what my running is about, chief of which is that I like running alone and couldn't give a damn about how I measure against anyone else, let alone 400 strangers.

I'm not a hater, I wanted to love it but it's not for me.

• Certified Parkrun lover here.  Have only done a couple of local courses, the one just up the road is really friendly, right across the field (usually 70-80?).  I swear the EDs know every runner by name!
    Really looking forward to trying Parkrun in other parts of the UK if we travel about this summer, and one day maybe even back home in Oz (saw a news story this morning that the Parkrun in my hometown is now the 2nd biggest in the world. Random!)
    Couldn't really think of a better way of introducing your average runner into a running community - Competition isn't everything there.

• Dustin wrote (see)

In addition, and as some have proved here, there is a fascination with chalking up 20,50 or 100 races. A few at my club were trying to get a few people along to 'celebrate' someone completing 100. Not sure I get that: I've run every saturday for years, and certainly more than 3 miles at a time. Didn't expect anyone to come along and hang up the bunting.

I kind of see your point but at the same time I would say that the vast majority of people who enjoy parkrun are never likely to ever finish first, win a local race, or anything to that affect, so aside from a PB the milestones of completing x number of parkruns is their own acheivement or recognition - anyone can be in the "50" or "100" club regardless of ability - plus regularly supporting a local community event so consistently is a good thing.

• I love parkrun. It is a useful may of meeting and chatting to other runners, a handy tool for comparing how you get on against other runners of similar ability and is a good lesson for running in a group.

As I normally run alone it took a while to get used to having people around me when I started with events. I've also made several new friends through parkrun.

As well as running I have also volunteered which is rewarding to do and also interesting seeing how everyone else gets one.

Mostly my running is about me and my time to myself and doing longer runs, but it is nice also to do a shorter and more sociable session.

• There is not much to dislike about it. They are fun, mixed ability and there are not that many 5k events out there so it fills a gap in my calendar at least.

It is not something I do every week. For me it takes 30 mins to get to the start line and normally I also like to be home and hosed well before 9AM. I still try to do one every couple of months or so. 

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Another parkrun fan here. A new event started near me 11 weeks ago with is a 20-25 minute drive away rather than 35-40 which was my nearest previously. Done 6 of those 11 events so far and enjoyed every one. Friendly atmosphere, good course, very well organised, and nice mix of abilities. If there was one within running distance of where I live then I'd probably do it every week. As it is, I'm trying to go every other week so it'll be the best part of 2 years before I get a 50 t-shirt.

Good speedwork session and my 5K pb has come down from 22:49 to 21:43 over the past 3 months or so.

• There was a bit in the parkrun newsletter a while ago about 50, 100, etc t-shirts.

I've set myself the goal of getting into the 50 club by the end of the year (currently on 45). It's an interesting goal as you achieve it gradually, week by week. Previous goals (completing a marathon, beating a particular time) have been months of training then one event where it's make or break.

Also trying to get on the tourism page. I've done 15 different events so far, helped by there being so many of them in Hampshire.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

The last two points both comment that it takes 20-30 minutes to get to the start (and presumably the same back), so you are commiting something like 60-90 minutes to run a 5k. I could chalk up 10-15k run from my front door in the same time, which is for me a better use of my time.
    Thats not to say I don't occasionally do a park run to guage 'where I'm at' though, and I still maintain that anything that gets more people lacing up trainers can only be a good thing. Personally I'm not that bothered by PR (as you may have guessed!)
    Legend - arguably there are better ways of doing speedwork than running a 5k (intervals/fartlek)
    Paxton - "regularly supporting a local community event so consistently is a good thing" I agree wholeheartedly, volunteers are fundamental to the success of athletics. In much the same way others freely commit time to coach at local clubs, officiate at track & field events, organise and marshall races, manage track teams and sit on committees.

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

I do my local park run from time to time and have also volunteered a few times. It's gone from strength to strength and now regularly has 350+ runners. The attraction for me is that I like the 5K distance but there aren't too many races around, at least anywhere near me.

I agree with StevieG that it's a pity Power of 10 have stopped counting them as 5K road races. I can only think it's because it's become too difficult for them to know which park run courses have been accurately measured and which haven't. 

• I presumed the Po10 descision was down to the fact that many parkruns are simply not run on roads?

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Possibly, but my 5K Po10 PB is from a race which uses footpaths in Hyde Park London, no road at all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I thought it was because many of them are not certified as being accurately measured 5km?

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Dustin, I think that's the case, but if I remember right some park runs were recognised by Power of 10 as being accurately measured and others weren't. I just suspect that so many new park runs are springing up that they've decided to give up distinguishing the two and just class them all outside official-distance 5Ks for the purpose of PBs. Could be completely wrong of course.

• It's not really a problem for me. My GPS tracker suggests some courses are longer/shorter than others, but so many other things vary between courses. Courses with 4-500 runners are always going to be slower than those with 100 or fewer runners; obviously hillier courses are slower; courses with little or no tarmac or pathway etc. A slight variation in distance between courses shouldn't really be a problem: I only compare my times at the same course anyway.

I suspect it is actually a technological reason: syncing results between the parkrun  to the Po10 databases.

• As I remember parkrun requested to Po10 that parkrun results should not be put in the same category as 5K races as they are a run rather than a race, hence the new classification. 

It's a bit of a shame that times from a certified 5K parkrun courses are now given the same credibility as some courses which were widely suspected of being under-distance. It's a minor issue though, as Hallam points out given the wide varity of types of parkrun courses you're best only comparing times at the same course. 

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

It's a subtle difference though. Who, apart from the front runners maybe, runs any race tactically to finish ahead of someone else, rather than just doing the best time they can on the day? Possibly if you have a friendly rivalry with another runner I suppose. I notice Park Run refers to "first finishers" rather than "winners" to try to maintain the run/race distinction.

• Dustin wrote (see)

The last two points both comment that it takes 20-30 minutes to get to the start (and presumably the same back), so you are commiting something like 60-90 minutes to run a 5k. I could chalk up 10-15k run from my front door in the same time, which is for me a better use of my time.

Paxton - "regularly supporting a local community event so consistently is a good thing" I agree wholeheartedly, volunteers are fundamental to the success of athletics. In much the same way others freely commit time to coach at local clubs, officiate at track & field events, organise and marshall races, manage track teams and sit on committees.

I don't really get how running the things (or getting a 50 shirt) is "supporting" an event which (if my local is representative) gets over 150 runners. And is still sometimes short of helpers!

And travelling miles-and-miles to one seems bonkers too - I fear the 'Tourism' league table is a driving challenge! (although I know some folks are running somewhere they already happen to be passing through, that's quite cool.) Spend the time in bed, or putting some miles on your feet!

(I think they're a brilliant thing for getting new runners going, or an introduction to timed running with a big field, or simply getting people off the sofa. image )

• Hi Laine,

Alice Holt park run is my local park run, and one of the nicest around.  It's very scenic, not too busy (usually around 100-130), and a good range of abilities.  There are a few hills, which add to the feeling of satisfaction.  The cameraderie is fantastic, whether you hurtle round in 20 minutes or enjoy the views and take 40. 

In terms of trainers, nothing special required, even in the depths of winter - it's mainly chalk trails so usually very good underfoot. Haven't done one for a couple of months but am planning to check it out this weekend.

My general view of park runs is that they are a good thing, and I would suspct far more people are running each week as a result. I have found them a good way of encouraging people into running as it can take away a bit of the fear/stigma. 

I kind of hope it evolves a bit though and longer distances start appearing maybe once a month or something, just to help people progress who still don't feel ready to enter a "race"

• HellywobsHellywobs ✭✭✭

I also really like Alice Holt, though it is a little hilly.  I do wear trail shoes but road shoes would be fine unless it was very very muddy.  It had a large proportion of children taking part, and is a particularly friendly event, go for it.  Once you've done it a few times, try out Frimley Lodge which is a lot flatter and will be very easy by comparison!