parkruns

2»

Comments

• ah, i didn't know that Stevie. Although i'm not at the sharp end of the results, so i guess it doesn't make much difference at my pace, but worth bearing in mind, ta.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That can be the other problem with parkruns, namely the "sharp" end, not being particularly sharp!

I used to turn up at races hoping to come high up, but I'm hoping some faster types turn up at Dulwich so I can make a proper race of it, rather than it being a time trial!

Otherwise i'd do the one on my doorstep that is often won in around 19mins!

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Stevie - there are a handful of quick types at Dulwich. I have only run it twice but came around 25th with pretty average 21 minutes ish. Hoping to get on it more as I live right by Dulwich park!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hopefully a gang of sub 17 chaps all decide to target it this one weekend image

• Dulwich was won in 16:46 last weekend, and all but one of the parkruns there this year have been run in under 17mins.

15:01 on feb 2nd, so you should get a decent race there. Have fun and let us know how you get on
  • roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Our local one has a sub 16min record, think its 15.55mins, .............you just need to go one the site and find a local flat one ,image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Chaps, don't worry, the research has been done!

I didn't want to do a NAD or a MT, so that doesn't leave too many driveable options. Even this one is an hour drive image

However, it ensures a proper 5k entry on PO10, and a line in the sand to improve on.

Will be gutted if I don't at least break my 17.48 set at a boggy Black Park a year or 2 back. I'd done 17.23 for 5k within a 10k a few months before!!

• stevie...come and do Cardiff park run.....in the last year i think there was only 1 week where the winner was over 17 mins........and there are usually several/ many runners running quick times........as they have about 400 runners now there should be loads behind youimage

• Looks like 15.17 is record for Swindon, more generally, the winning times seem tyo be in the 16-17 minute range. Normally between 200 -300 there

• Negative splitting a marathon seems to be commonly advised if you want to get a PB, but do you guys race 5k and 10k races in the same way? Or do you just head out as fast as you can and see if you can hang on?

• parkruns are not billed as a race, but a timed run. Maybe that's why there's no sharp end.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    UFO wrote (see)

parkruns are not billed as a race, but a timed run. Maybe that's why there's no sharp end.

Some of them are officially certified 5k's, and some are just fast and seem to attract faster runners.  I've got my 5k road pb at Dulwich, which is very quick.  And Andy Baddeley running 13:48 at Bushy Park ain't too shabby.  image

AG - I aim for even pacing for all those distances personally, although you can generally afford to be a bit more aggressive over 5k/10k, i.e. go out a little too fast and hang on, cos the consequences of the wheels falling off aren't quite so severe.

• Chelmsford Central parkrun is a good course pretty flat all the way round and managed to get a PB there last week

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

stevie...come and do Cardiff park run.....in the last year i think there was only 1 week where the winner was over 17 mins........and there are usually several/ many runners running quick times........as they have about 400 runners now there should be loads behind youimage

If I was Stevie, I'd stick to races I knew I'd win, hell Id even drive out further, just to pick a parkrun that I knew there were no sub-18's in the crowdimage

I used to think like this, but then you do realise that having a higher standard field makes you run faster.

It's still good to have a few races where you'll come higher up though.

But if you only do the low key stuff you won't improve as much. Which is the bigger picture.

Seren, Cardiff's a bit of a push! Tomorrow is an hour's drive! 3hours might be a bit mental for a 5k!

• Brian JBrian J ✭✭✭

Helen, I've done all three of those parkruns and I reckon they're all quick courses by parkrun standards - almost flat and on tarmac. MK is a really scenic run by the lake..

• runwiththewind wrote (see)

York is ridiculously flat. 1.5 laps of the racecourse. Very fast!

My local is also basically around a racecourse, but on the camera car/officials track, & that's certainly not flat!!!
    (Pontefract)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

16.53 parkrun yesterday for a 17sec pb.

Got whopped by a pal by 20secs which was a surprise,but should probably focus on the first line!

Leading at sub 5 pace for half a mile was not good pacing...and splits of 5.14,5.29,5.34 (35secs) say it all really!

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Nice one Stevie. I am hoping to break 20 at some point in next couple of months at Dulwich. Did a HM yesterday in 1:35:08 so feels like it should be possible. Just need to wake up on a Saturday without a hangover.image