Running world new look magazine

As much as I appreciate a magazine contents is the most important aspect, I also find that the design and feel also drives me to pick a magazine up, especially when parting with money. I hate to say it but the new look magazine is a total failure with me. This appeared on my door step along with another running mag, normally this is my first read but having flicked through it it has been relegated to the when I've finished everything else pile. I'm sure many will love it.

Comments

• I think I quite like it - In terms of content I am currently preferring the 'trail running' i picked up at the airport yesterday but that's just my current interest - i think the new RW is quite appealing actually (but maybe i'd just got bored of the old look/format). Thank goodness there's no weird plastic runner on the cover this time - WHY they don't use the rave run photos for the cover i'll never know.

• Yes there is a difference but it doesnt seem to have altered that much. On the whole I am happy with the change, it seems quite clear, and the first few pages less cluttered.

• Lyns. wrote (see)

I think I quite like it - In terms of content I am currently preferring the 'trail running' i picked up at the airport yesterday but that's just my current interest - i think the new RW is quite appealing actually (but maybe i'd just got bored of the old look/format). Thank goodness there's no weird plastic runner on the cover this time - WHY they don't use the rave run photos for the cover i'll never know.

Excellent point about the rave run photo. You should apply for the ed's job image

• I am surprised there have not been more comments about the "new look". Am I the only one who now finds the Race Diary listings really hard to read? The font has got smaller, presumably so it takes up less space. I can understand the commercial logic for doing so. But it is really too small to read now. image

• Didn't much like the first revamped magazine but thought would give it another month. Still don't like it!  Seems to be looks over substance with many articles too busy and bitty with graphics, colours etc etc.  Also find the font hard to read.  RW, stick to what you do best - well written running articles which inform and motivate - and less of the gimmecky filler stuff. 

• Irene Downey wrote (see)

RW, stick to what you do best - well written running articles which inform and motivate - and less of the gimmecky filler stuff. 

Have we been reading the same magazine?

• This issue was slightly better than the first, but I'm still not impressed. The adverts are too prominent for comfort - I presume that is a commercial decision. I know what you ean about gimmicky stuff, Irene, although, to be fair, this has been a perennial issur for a good eight years or more. What is increasingly obvious is the use of clever graphics which eat up space that could be occupied by interesting writing.

The race diary is really difficult to read, it seems to be chucked in as an afterthought.

My biggest complaint, however, is the disappearance of the Race Report. I had hoped that this was a "one off" omission last month. Just a promo for a big, commercial, American event and a tantalising preview of the Sodbury Slog - interesting, but more detail, please.