Started running at 40 - how good a runner could you be!

Comments

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Yes I hope to go sub 3 London, plan b is under 3:15 which is good for age and have a crack next year

• Short term goal is 3:45 marathon and long term goal would be a good for age time 3:15 I think it is. HM short term sub 1:40, long sub1:30 as for 10k and 5k just want to go faster and faster image

Great feedback guys I didn't think I would get so much positive comments, plus by the sounds of things positive times/results done already by you lot. 

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I started running last year at 41 and this thread is really encouraging image I have to say though all this talk of running marathons off 6/7 weeks of training is making me very jealous. Took me a year of training (and 60lbs of weight loss) to get round in 4:05! 

• Believe me Khanivore i wouldn't do that again just 6 weeks training of before the marathon that last 10k killed me. Well done on your marathon time your 10minutes faster than me image. Under 4 has surely got to be your next target. 

• I have been running 8 years.....I am 47 now and this year I have set 4 new PB's already.....so its great to be at the stage where I am still getting faster.....

hubby is 53 and is also still getting and aiming for PB's................

there seems to be an advantage to starting tunning later 

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Seren you are kidding! After reading about your multi-ironman event report I assumed you were a lifetime athlete! Wow. Shocked image ps the race report where you tried to walk in to the lake because you were seeing things is one of my favourites image

boardfish i I didn't run for 4 months after London marathon and I've out on 20lbs in weight. I will follow the 4hr pacer at Brighton marathon to see if mind really is greater than matter. It's going to hurt and I'm dubious about being with him at the finish line. I have an October marathon lined up at which I will smash 4 hrs and try for 3:45.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Just to add, I've inevitably put some thought into the time when the improvement curve starts flattening out and age catches up, mainly to think about what my motivation might be.  For this I take great inspiration from some older, and very quick, club mates.  One or two in particular spring to mind; does it matter how fast you were in former years, if you can still qualify for the Champs start (sub-2:45) at London, as a V50?  image

• Hi Phil, I'm taking inspiration already from all the great results from 40 plus runners here on this forum 

• Steady 10k today, had tons of energy when I got back. Long run planned tomorrow, got to be disciplined and make it slow. That's my biggest problem find it so hard running at a slower pace. 

• New 10k record today knocked a whole 10 seconds off Now it's 46:37. 

Didn't go out planning on running a fast one just felt good so went for it. 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Hey Boardfish..

I often do wish I'd run more seriously when in my prime, but if you do, then you set all your PBs in your 20s and 30s....  and then spend your entire physical sporting life, beyond the age of 40, just managing your decline! 

For maximum sporting fun/competitiveness, then the best thing to do is dabble with running - but concentrate on other sports up to the age of late-thirties.  Then, just when your football / rugby / cricket is taking a dip, you can move into running. As others have said, you can keep racking up personal bests for the next 20 years.

I was about half an hour ahead of you at Chester... but you've progressed in no time such that you're already about the same as me at HM and 10K.    Keep going.  You should explore your natural ability... see how far it can take you.

• Nose Nowt - good point about not starting in your 20's and seeing a depressing decline in your 40's. Ive played cricket all my life, since I started running though I have very little enthusiasm for the upcoming season. Thanks for complementing my progress are you running Chester again?

DavidreW - I'd love to join a running club, but I work every evening and that's when they train. I need to start a daytime running clubimage

DarrenM - wow what a great improvement on your times mate. You sound a very determined guy, we'd get on well.

Watp - that's an impressive 10k time, that's some natural talent. Yep i abused my body in my 20's too with booze and takeaways. 

By by the way I just checked only knocked 7 seconds off my 10k haha. 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I know what you mean about changing priorities. Cricket takes all day, and you can't help thinking that you could be using some of it to be out for a run!  Having said that, if you're not a member of a sociable running club, then I'd be loathed to give up the camaraderie and team spirit involved in the cricket pavilion.   I'm sure there's room for both. 

Not sure if I'll do an autumn marathon this year - I'll decide after Brighton

Which marathon(s) have you got lined up this year?  ( the way you're going, then the 3:50 should be the minimum target you go for!)

• I've got Manchester in April would love 3:45. Then Chester again in October, I might try and win that race. image

• Pissing it down - so glad today's my rest day. 

Teaching a class of 3 year olds how to swim this morning could be tough though. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Started age 40, hit 1.21 HM & 2.57 mara at 50. And there are many of similar age who are faster than this. So get out there and find out what you can do.image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Poacher - INSPIRING! (What were your first HM and Marathon times?)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

HM started at 1.44, first mara 2004 was 3.34 .  But there are plenty of V50s much faster than this. 

Over on the sub-3.15 thread there are a fair few in their 40s and 50s knocking out 2:5X and 3:0X maras.

• Steve - every credit mate starting at 57, good luck with your 2 races, more importantly enjoy.

Poacher - wow amazing times, great to hear how much you can improve in your 40's and 50's. I'm going for it now I've just heard those times image

• Long term goals HM sub 1:20 Full marathon sub 3:00 hours. 

• Need to catch up on this thread.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Boardfish - just keep doing what you're doing. I started running properly (before was just an occasional treadmill runner) in my late 30s. First ambition was to complete a marathon which I did when I was 40, and in a couple of years had got a sub 3 which I never dreamed I would be able to do, and now have my eye on sub 2.45. If you worked hard enough, follow a structured plan (P&D?), and manage to stay injury free you'll be amazed at what improvements you can make. I was never very good at sport or athletics or anything, but I have done a lot better at this running lark than I ever thought I would. Also - plenty of good advise and info available on this forum.

• it's inspiring to hear people's stories about getting faster and enjoying running well into their middle age. I'm 35 and started running on-off just after I turned 30. Prior to that I had been completely sedentary. No 5-a-side with work mates, no cycling to work, no occassional jog or swim. Completely sedentary all the way through school. I don't think i'd ever jogged a step in my life. As I was / am slim I convinced myself I was therefore also fit and healthy. I don't recall what the trigger was, but I turned 30, realised I was not fit in the slightest, and started to jog on a very ad hoc basis. I've kept a log of my running (i'm a geek) since 2009 and I ran just under 300 miles that year in total. Just under 250 miles the following year, very much in fits and starts, and nothing in the first half of 2011. I entered a couple of half marathons with friends, and a couple of 10ks and realising I wasn't a natiral had got a bit discouraged with it. I only decided to make it a regular part of my life about 18 months ago, and since then I've run (when not injured) 3-5 times a week. I'll never be speedy, and i'll always have to work hard at it, but I really feel like it's part of my identity now, which is nice. As my running has become more regular, and i've started following training plans I've been able to chip away at my own PBs, which is very satisying. I hope to keep doing this for some time, and when I can no longer improve, I hope I still get enough satisfaction to run for the hell of it.

• Hi guys good to hear from you, not been on for a few days so busy at work, but not missed any runningimage. 15West- that's promising to hear you managed a sub 3 after a couple of years, that's exactly my goal hopefully in 2015. Yep your right this forum is great for tips, advice but most importantly most people are encouraging and positive. 

Agentginger- great name by the way, even though I'm keen to improve it's just as important that i enjoy it, like you said Its part of your identity. It's a great way to switch off, clear the mind and have loads of energy that can only be a good thing. Have you set any goals?