sub 34 min 10k so far.

hi all im simon and im 15 but am curentily running just over a 34 minute 10000m race. i am hopeing to compeat in the next olympics or a olympics some day. does anyone think this is possiable? im currentily 4th in the countey and im hoping to slide into 1st soon after some more hard training but i really want to comeat profestnailly. anyone think ive got a chance?

Comments

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

yea! go for it

• oh hay thanks for the encorogement do you really think i can make it?

• YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Nope - my view is that any one who has any realistic chance of competing in the next Olympics at 10,000m is more than likely already part of a running club, will have been identified as being a potential elite runner, and therefore has a coach, etc.... and wouldn't need to be asking complete strangers on a running forum for advice

If you're serious about your goal, then suggest you need to find a decent club, see what the coach there thinks, and take it from there.

Good luck, and I hope you prove me wrongimage
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

To be fair, I doubt that many long distance runners are at anything like their peak at 19, although the Kenyan marathon runners do seem to be getting younger...

Follow YP's advice about joining a club and getting one-on-one caching advice - and don't get too frustrated if you don't make the Olympics till 2020 or even 2024.  image

• well i am already part of a running club and have a profestnaol coach. ive won all past 10k events and only use the forume to lurn new tricks of the trade.

• Are you white and English? If so, I really doubt it's possible image
    Having said that, best of luck! Make sure you've got a good coach on your side and take care not to get injured. You might have a lot of potential to unlock, but don't try and go from club runner to international runner too quickly!

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    Pethead wrote (see)

Are you white and English? If so, I really doubt it's possible image

Huh? Do white English people not make it to the Olympics then?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Haven't you heard?  White people can't run.  Oh, apart from that French bloke.  He's quite fast.

• parkrunfan wrote (see)

Huh? Do white English people not make it to the Olympics then?

Yes they do - after all, Chris Thompson's going this year - but recent results suggest they're very much making up the numbers in events like the 10,000m. 

• you already have a proffessional coach and you come asking a buch of amateurs.......bet your coach would be pleased to see that.........image

i say it depends on a  lot of things......

I'm confused as to your ranking for the 10k........i thought under british athletics regulations you couldn'y race 10k distance until you are 16..........i thought the longest distance you could race at 15 was 5k...........

so where do the ranking come from

• Best of luck Simon. Just do the best you can and more importantly enjoy what your doing! Be that county races, regional and in the end, all going well national races and poss. further! Who knows! Go step by step with you coach as your guide (hopfully you are with a good coach and a large running club with a good junior section). and maybe we can look out for your name on the telly in around 10 years time.

• Seren - You can do a road 10K at 15, but you've got to be 16 to do a track 10,000m. Not sure why, must be some subtle difference in governing body. 

• pethead.......do you mean the other way around as all the road 10k always had 16 min........17 for half and the `18 for a marathon................makes me laugh that you can do an ironman at 17 and a half but not a standalone marathonimage

• Seren - Nope, I know which way round I meant, but I was only speaking from experience. It's been a few years since I was 15/16, so of course the rules might have changed.
    Or maybe it's something to do with road closures for 10Ks, as there's still some around where the minimum age is 15: http://www.fullonsport.co.uk/fos/index.php?module=events&eventId=4002&action=profile

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    simon weatherley wrote (see)

well i am already part of a running club and have a profestnaol coach. ive won all past 10k events and only use the forume to lurn new tricks of the trade.

can't believe noone's had a little chuckle at the above....a what coach?! image

Simon, the main "Trick" of the trade, is to spend a large amount of years training a heck of a lot, and consistently.

The other thing that will define your eventual level is how well you picked your parents.image

Pethead, bizarre comment....did you miss Paula R holding the world marathon record? The chap has a heady enough goal trying to reach the Olympics...he wasn't saying he's aiming to win them!!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Pethead, bizarre comment....did you miss Paula R holding the world marathon record? The chap has a heady enough goal trying to reach the Olympics...he wasn't saying he's aiming to win them!!

Both myself and the original poster are male, and I'll admit to following men's distance running more closely than its female counterpart.
    Also, I had a vague idea Paula's past her best and there isn't a long line of European runners poised to achieve similar success, but correct me if I'm wrong!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There's a big difference between getting to the Olympics and setting world records...

Gonna be a hard enough road for the young lad as it is...bearing in mind he's probably looking at a sub 28min minimum qualification time for 10k image