The Taper Is Here

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sensible advice there Phil. Last year I carb loaded in the days leading up to the marathon and felt really quite rough by saturday afternoon...not sure if this was the diet or stress/worry.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I should add I ran a pretty good marathon the following day with even splits etc., so maybe the carb loading did help...

• Thanks for the advice Phil the 1.5 hour drink break will definatly be handy for Amy but for me I find on any run I never really need a toilet break until and hour or two after im not sure if this is due to not being hydrated enough or not taking on much when running. I know I don't drink as much as most when I run but I don't feel dehydrated. I drink to thirst usually ends up as only a mouthful or two every sixish miles.

• Tomorrow is Saturday (or parkrun day if you prefer), how many of you are actually going to try for a PB or put in a 100% effort. I was going to go for a PB as it is my parkruns birthday, but I don't feel in the best shape so will just run at 100% and see how I go. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I am. Haven't been for about a year and find it nice to see if training for longer distances had made much difference.
  • back in November when i last got a parkrun PB I thought more would come on the back of marathon training and that I would of broke sub 20 by April yet its 28th march and PB is still 20:40 we will see if things change tomorrow good luck Millsy

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Thanks, ill report back tomorrow.

Not done an awful lot of speed work this year so lets see what happens.
  • I haven't done any speed work in ages I am planning to get to the track in June once both marathons are done too try and get some pace back in my legs. looking forward to your up date tomorrow 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

From what most people have said to me, a 5k pb in the midst of Mara training is difficult due to accumulated fatigue, unless of course your at that stage of running where any extra running will take you forward as your on that upward curve. 

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I think I would agree with that. I struggled on my half marathon having done 20miles the Sunday before. I still put in a PB but I'm sure I could put in a much better time if I had a couple of weeks taper for it.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well, mixed results on the parkrun. Wasn't expecting a PB (18.00) but was hoping for somewhere around 18.15 - 18.30. Ended up with a 18.53. Felt good all the way round but was just lacking a top gear to go into.

The lack of speed work is starting to show.

I took a minute off my 5k PB last year but was doing 2-3 speed sessions a week out of my 50 miles.

I'm now getting 60+ miles a week in and my endurance has gone through the roof. Great for what I'm aiming for (a 50 miler) but its still nice to blast out a parkrun every now and again.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I got a PB. image

Not as fast as Millsy's PB though. You can't have everything.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done Lit. A PB is a PB though. At least you are moving in the right direction.

I parkrun PB'd 2 weeks before my London sub 3 last year so that's a good sign for you.

I think I need to realise that I cant be improving at every distance all the time any more. My "A" race calls for endurance so I should be happy that I'm getting much better at that.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I knew lit would pop by to counter my commentimage

Even mo Farah says his 5k has suffered due to Mara training. 

• Amazing times my knee didn't feel to good so I jogged around with the fiancée which was very nice we got to soak in all of the birthday atmosphere (our parkrun is now one year old). I dont think my legs have a PB in them at the moment but after London and the Kent roadrunner i am going to focus on either 5 or 10k for rest of the year

• I'm slowly slipping into taper madness. After setting a new half marathon PB and storming my last 20 miler, I've now had a few niggles for the last week and am also starting to worry that I'm getting a cold/flu/leprosy.

I'm also worried that it's going to be hot in London (compared to what it has been in Scotland) and that I'm going to melt.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm now at the point where I'm checking every possible weather forecast until I find one that predicts perfect running weather for race day.
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Following yesterday's 13mile run I ran 4 miles at 10am today for my recovery run. The first mile really hurt. The second mile was slightly better but really hard. By the time I got home I was pouring with sweat. Maybe we have two weeks to acclimatise but it's unusual at this time of year to have two weeks straight of warm weather.

Remind me again why I'm doing a spring Marathon. Winter hills are so much easier.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm not considering weather forecasts until next Monday. 

I picked up a slight niggle in my left soleous on yesterdays 16. Didn't feel on tonights 5 though.

How tapered/recovered is everyone feeling? I still feel pretty knackered in the legs. 

• Legs are ok, but I'm tapering sharply. Schedule says 4x400, but I might not bother. Just try to maximise recovery.

First round of beetroot sandwiches are packed for lunch.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Lou, I don't think it has its magic placebo effect if you cook it, so I hope that's raw beetroot...

• Grated, raw, with cheese and a teeny bit of mayo.

I also have a carton of juice, which I shall start on tomorrow. And the cat has left a sacrificial offering to the running gods in my trainers.

• I Was finding it hard to breath last night on a 3 mile recovery run worried I was getting ill until Amy said she was struggling to catch her breath as well so guessing it was the humidity as the air was quiet damp in sunny Kent last night. It could also be down to an all up hill route to collect the car we accidentally left in a country park car park not realising the closing time was 7pm (not the best way to end a lovely walk after a big mothers day meal). I know nothing of carb loading or magical beetroots I was just planning on eating as normal I always have some for of carb on my plate usually Pasta, Rice or potato, any tips on anything else I could/should add would be amazing

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

whats this beetroot thing about?

• I got a 17 second PB at Park Run on Saturday. I was hoping for better than that but I think the fatigue from three weekends of very long runs didn't help hugely. Have decided to concentrate on my 5K time after London so will be doing plenty of speed work, intervals, hills etc.

• Nayan check out http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/beet-juice-how-much-and-when for news on beetroot i have never tried it i have heard a horror story of a guy who drank it all the way round the marathon panicking when he finished and had red wee thinking it was internal bleeding.

CotswoldRunner  17 seconds is 17 second savor it I havnt had a PB since November (the things I would do for a PB right now even if just one second)

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Probably shouldn't ask - but just wondering how much distance the average person adds on to the distance during a marathon, and particularly London with the amount of runners? I'm pretty bad for weaving at the start / not taking the racing line to overtake and this and have ended up doing up to 0.5 mile more on a half marathon before. Obviously theres a chance the running app I use is slightly out although for shorter distances it seems to be spot on / very close.

Anyone like to share what their distances have been in past London Marathons? As already noted on here, it affects the pace needed to get a specific time. I'm going for sub 4 which I was thinking 9:05mm would be more than sufficient, but if we're talking a realistic distance of say 27 miles, then it goes to 8:50mm. 

• Legend, I would have thought that most people will do around 26.5 miles as opposed to the 26.2 if they followed the race line all the way. You'd need to go out of your way to do 27 miles, although i suppose it's possible.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Last year my garmin said 26.62...

• 8 easy miles tonight, 5k race tomorrow night(seemed like a good idea at the time), gonna use it as my last bit of speedwork image