The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

A cold 9.7 last night. Thankfully it was an effort session which kept me warm, though a little slower than I had intended. Maybe because I was all wrapped up!

YTD 13.1

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

A bit nippy here this morning. I was scheduled to do some reps but decided not to risk it on slippery icy surfaces. Instead, another few laps of the local park at a leisurely pace. Just 4.47 miles and I see others are drawing away into the distance already but the year is still young ...

9.37 ytd

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Don't worry Muttley, I won't be drawing away from anyone any time soon! I will be playing catch up all year again I think.

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Club run last night in weather which was cold but quite pleasant to run in. 7.25m done.

YTD = 16.25M

• Some nice early miles being logged here already - good going guys (nice alliteration there, if I say so myself!).image

Harmander - I always expect more mileage from you... the shock would be a drop off in miles!

A solo trot out for me at lunchtime... scheduled as 1 mile w/u, 3 miles "brisk", 1 miles c/d, so I churned out 9:04/mi., 8:20/mi., 7:59/mi., 7:53/mi., and 1.2 miles at about 9:00/mi. - I think the middle three count as "brisk" (for me)... with no pacing, just run by feel. Giving a total for today of 5.20 miles.

YTD: 28.79 miles.

• This morning was supposed to be a run to and from the gym but I changed plan after a mile and just carried on running ending up with 5.27 miles. It was very laboured, maybe due to the cold, but I was just glad to be out there after three days off!

2017   12.41

• Nell, Sorry to disappoint you but could only manage 12.75 miles tonight - it was all uphill though and at 10:04 minute/mile pace (only need to do 11:27 for the VLM pacing).

YTD = 44.52 miles (955.48 to go)

At this rate I will hit the (first) 1000 miles in 107 days time - a day before the London Marathon - I had better slow down or else will reach 3250 miles by the end of the year - just a tad less than I used to do thirty years ago. (was that before you was born?)

• Good to see some familiar faces in here. Some cracking mileage already being logged.

I went out for my rugby club loop Wednesday evening, 4.7 miles, the furthest I've run since last August. Another short one planned today after work.

2017 - 7.97
  • May be a little late to the party but think I'm going to join and see if I can catch up. So far this year I've only done one 5k parkrun but I've got 3 half marathons and 6 marathons booked until October so hoping that will help me catch up! Has anyone got any recommendations for tracking my distance so far? 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Lucy - keep a spreadsheet! Nell will be more than happy to give you advice on this I'm sure, knowing how she loves her spreadsheets image

• Lucy - I also keep a spreadsheet, or if you are into your gadgets you can get some good deals on various running watches i.e. Garmin, Tomtom, Nike, these will allow you to upload your runs, this then provides a good overview of all your activity's

• Nell, et all,

'Er Indoors provides a hawkish overview of all of my activities, can go back years for the records (and sounds like a broken one at times) lol

Just kidding, she is wonderful

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Spreadsheets are all a bit new-fangled to me. I keep a simple text log in a note-taking programme, with date, distance, workout, hr numbers and shoe mileage. I have logs going back to 2003 and sometimes like to see what I was doing and how fast I (wasn't) going at the same time umpteen years earlier.

Anyhoo ... first "proper" workout of the year today: 6 x 400 metres with 90 sec recoveries, as ordered by The Plan. Target pace based on notional 10K time of 50 minutes was 7:30 - 7:45 m/m per rep. I was comfortably ahead of that with fastest rep at 6:59 m/m. Felt good overall, and with w/u and c/d came to 5.95 miles in all.

15.32 ytd

• I write my mileage on my calendar. Love putting anned runs on there as it acts as a motivational tool. My Garmin keeps track of it all.

Two easy miles with Mrs jR after work yesterday. More planned tomorrow.

2017 - 11.97
  • 'ey 'op mille milers!

Very impressed with everyone getting out there and getting scores on the doors... errr... early doors...

Harmander - I'm going to hold you to that 107 days... mainly because 107 was the number of my lab when I was a Science teacher in a previous life image Hahaha... bless you for thinking (well, saying) I might not have been alive 30 years ago - I was alive and kicking and about to do my 'O' Levels... see that really shows my age! As I seem to remember saying in last year's thread, for the benefit of your health let's hope Mrs. Singh doesn't pay a visit to this thread!!!

lucylou - as Andrew quite rightly indicated, I'm a spreadsheet addict image To hit the 1000 miles in a year target you need to average 19.24 miles per week, how ever you want to record it.

Muttley - that was a really good session... very good pace by the sound of it! Which great god of a "Plan" are you following - one you've made yourself or a published one?

Just done 3.53 easy miles - I know Harmander would say it's not worth getting changed for that kind of distance, but that's what my great god of a "Plan" told me to do so that's what I did. I might do a double today (not in the "Plan" but I haven't done one in ages and I do enjoy it) - so I might be back later as well.

YTD: 32.32 miles (ooo - neat and tidy)

• Here we go again. So far this year, a club run and today a gentle 13mile half mara training run so:

18 miles YTD

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    3.49 easy miles, testing out my gut! It appears that in running a PB on Monday followed by a hill walk, yoga & head torch run on Tuesday maybe wasn't my best idea as I had a very upset stomach and pretty much 24 hours of sleep on Wednesday! Feeling okay now although a bit of a sore throat ????

YTD: 15.44 miles
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Lots of new faces on the thread ... good to see image

Nell, the plan is the half marathon advanced (ha!) on this page. I'm just working my way methodically in sequence, three runs a week so it takes me two weeks to complete one. No reason for this one in particular, I just like the variety.

• Well done everyone - just a gentle reminder (particularly to the newbies to this forum) that you need to get on and stay on top of your year's target - so go for the 84 miles a month or 20 miles a week  - oh and don't be silly in trying to beat my mileage - I am mad - others will testify to this.

Nell, I am going to concede on the 112 days to do the first 1000 miles because I did say that it was going to happen if I kept going at the rate I started. 

Last year I did the first in 194 days actually, although the second was a bit quicker.

Going to speed up on the pace per mile instead - to be 15 seconds a mile faster so aiming for 10:45/mile over the year.

I also double checked the mileage of the runs I did earlier this week and had to correct the total by -0.23 miles (370 metres). Sorry

Only 7.08 miles including Parkrun today makes:

YTD = 51.37 miles in 8:44:04 hours (10:12 minutes/mile) but more importantly only 948.63 miles to go.

Did I mention I am goig to pace at Silverstone Half marathon on 12 March as well as the London? - well I have now. image

• Evening all,

Week 1 done! A couple of 5k's mid week and Parkrun this morning. I carried on running upto 10k after having my barcode scanned.

Happy running next week folks.

YTD: 22.52miles

• No spreadsheets here, I just stick to keeping it all on a notepad document which has worked well so far! 

Ten miles this morning which included a steady parkrun in the middle which puts me back on target after a few slack days.image

2017   22.41

• That's a nice total for the first week there, 20TO12 - you're already ahead of the curve! image

Also a good total, Matt - very similar to 20TO12.

As mentioned earlier - I went out for another trot tonight... just a little one at a very easy pace totalling 3.56 miles (making 7.09 miles for the day).

YTD: 35.88 miles.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    08-Jan Wk 1. 32.5 YTD41

Extra Sunday on the 1st bumped my 1st week up a bit, onwards etc. etc.
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭

Long run on the trails today with friends - time passed very quickly image 11.98 miles,

YTD: 27.42 miles

• Just 13.77 miles today - training a newbie for VLM

YTD = 65.13 miles

senidM yes but there is one day less this year as it is not a leap year like the last one. image

• Great first week totals Clag and senidM as well - glad everyone seems to be going for it this year!

Harmander - your newbie seems to be doing well.. up to 13 miles already.

A lovely, slow 12.16 miles today - started late afternoon and through dusk until it was just about dark. Most of it was alongside the river - so very flat and easy... bit of a cheat really, but the mist rising off the river was so beautiful - atmospheric and ethereal - though it did mean that when I went to my torch the visibility was a bit like running through candyfloss! image

YTD: 48.04 miles.

• Nell,

I got her to do 17 miles just before Christmas - despite my good looks, charm, charisma, humbleness and modesty, I don't muck about when I train people - if they can't run a marathon I suggest they go take up knitting.

Wow, you are only17 miles behind me - better pull my finger out image

• Oh no!

YTD 14.7miles  My excuse is that I've got a heavy cold so haven't done anything this weekend.  It can only get better!

• oops, I lost the thread!

anyway, YTD = 23 miles, so on track