The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Need to check in more often - got a few pages to read through!

Nell - my half is Kinloss to Lossiemouth; small run but usually pretty fast.

Miles last week as follows:

Tuesday 6.78 miles - set my 2nd fastest ever 10k time as I was late in arriving and my target was to catch my running buddies for a chat before they left the car park (succeeded!)

Friday 3.21 miles - recovery run

Saturday 5.36 miles including parkrun (20:11, tune up race)

Sunday 14 miles

Today 4.03 miles - recovery run

YTD 84.51 miles

Got a couple of 10k races lined up for end of March and May. There's one mid-April that I'm toying with the idea of entering - any thoughts? It'll be 3 weeks after one and 4 weeks before the next. I usually am pretty selective in my races and don't race that often, but would really like to get my 10k time down this year. 

• Well hellooooooo everyone.

Lots of action since I was on here on Saturday! Well done folks.

Nice job rescuing the buzzard JR - I love raptors and I think it's great you took the time to take care of the one you found.

Great tip re: surgical gloves Stylish - never thought of that... and I've got an endless supply of lab gloves from work so I might give them a go.

Thank you for watching out for me, Muttley - I've come in under my scheduled mileage for a couple of weeks and next week is a cut back week. I will try to be sensible.

Having said that - yesterday was my least sensible training day to date! Did 15.07 miles LSR (no problem there - that was planned) but I left home much later than intended so I got back late, then we went to see Black Sabbath at the Manchester Arena. I barely had time to shower and choose which t-shirt to wear, which meant I didn't refuel properly, stretch or foam roller and then sat in the car followed by sitting in the arena... so boy am I ACHING today! Nothing to do with the running - everything to do with poor recovery.

YTD: 116.48 miles.

Sorry Nick - I did reply to you as well... don't know where that went! I don't know where the Manchester Marathon thread went (either). I emailed RW to ask them to resurrect it - but it's been a while now so I don't hold out much hope.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Good day all.

Well done from me too JR for saving the buzzard. Where I am in Reading it's red kite country, the sky is full of them and I could gaze at them circling over my garden all day. And back home in Cornwall every other telegraph pole seems to have a buzzard on it these days. Gorgeous birds, both of them.

Well done to all for steadily racking up the mileage. I doff my cap in particular to those who do it on the dreadmill image

Black Sabbath, Nell ... good grief, they're still going? I had one of their albums as a youngster, maybe vol 4, but then punk rock came along and I went pogoing, not headbanging!

Anyhoo, to the business in hand ... 5.65 miles this morning, bog-standard easy run along the usual route, legs on autopilot and brain in neutral.

60.55 ytd

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Nell - never tried the surgical gloves myself, but it might get a bit swetty betty!

Clag - mid April 10K seems fine to me. Plenty of recovery time in between imo.

• Well done on the mileage all, another recovery run for myself today - tied in with pace setting for 2 of my colleagues. 3.47 miles at 10:07 pace ( a lot slower than my last recovery run).

YTD: 5.6 

Still a loooong way to go

• This thread moves fast, very motivating. I'm off to google that race Pinkcat, sounds interesting. (Not that i'm ever going to do anything so daft as that).

5.69 miles in total tonight. 1 mile warm up 3 x 1 mile @ 9:00 with 3 minute recoveries (9:02,8:50,8:43) and 1 mile warm down. I was actually not looking forward to it, fearing i'd struggle to keep pace and although the last rep was tough, I managed to do it with a few seconds to spare. Sorry to bore you all but trying to stick to a schedule as I find this is a far better way of training, everything is mapped out and I Just Run (excuse the pun).

2017 - 49.71

• Clag - Kinloss to Lossiemouth sounds scenic. The beach there looks amazing!

Muttley - Sabbath are not really "going" in the real sense of the word... this is their farewell tour - everything ends on 4th Feb. and we're going to that gig in Birmingham as well!

Stylish - I was thinking that myself so I might experiment with putting them over the outside of my usual gloves to try to wick the sweatiness away.

Duncan - every step counts! image

JR - not boring at all! Personally, I like to hear what others are doing in their great God "The Plan". Your session sounds good - and the speed section ended up increasing in pace too... nice work.

Also a speed session for me today - intervals at the near-by track at lunchtime. Was supposed to be 10 x 400 m with 200 m recovery in between - but the track's 595 m so I did 8 x 595 with ~295 m recoveries. Totalled 6.01 miles incl. w/u and c/d with ~4.3 miles of speed work plus recovery.

YTD: 122.49 miles.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Nell, you are turning into a machine.

JR, I also have 'a plan' which I map out for a few weeks in advance (although do tweak it a bit here and there depending on fitness and other commitments that come up) so that when it comes to any given day I just know what I am doing without having to think about it.

Tonight, for instance, is 4 easy miles, aiming for a pace between 8.45 and 9 m/m.

• AndrewD - we think alike but I tweak it to help others I am training.

Well done Nell - you may get a chance to narrow the gap in the next few days.

Really slippery and cold last night but I managed to knock a couple of minutes of the time for the same distance from last week - suffering now as got a cold and a bad back.

14.17 miles making 

YTD = 180.86 miles (291.063 km)

I just cannot help reminding everyone that to reach 1000 miles by the end of the year you have to at least aim for 84 miles a month - every month. Looking back at last years posts some felt they were going to catch up later and events happened making it difficult and then they lost the will to catch up or got injured trying.

Thanks to Stylish for providing this platform to keep us all motivated.

Incidentally, I nearly suffocated trying to wear the surgical gloves until I put them on my hands.

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Well said Harmander. I think the trick is have some "spare miles" in the locker just in case you cant run in the future. Nothing harder than making up extra mileage.

I wont ask where you put the surgical gloves originally Harmander !

I saw a programme last night called "Worlds Toughest Mudder" a 24 hour obstacle race where peeps are running over a 100 M. Insane. It makes running a marathon look like a "walk in the park". If you want a proper challenge Harmander, that's my challenge to you image

Yes I found the pavements slippery last night too so slowed in right down. I thought I would run this dreaded lurgy out of me but I'm now coughlng and spluttering! No running for a few days. 

5m last night then.

YTD = 74.41

• Stylish,

Was running 20 laps up the hill on Woodford Avenue near Clayhall Avenue.

Running 100 miles, nay 1000 miles in blinding snow, barefoot, blindfolded and only wearing a smile is no challenge than to duck and dive, bob and weave and appear to do some work when the missus is around for nearly 38 years.

As for the calculations, If I was just aiming to do the 2.74 miles daily to reach 1000 miles by 31 December, my current totals suggests I do not need to run again until 6 March - As if that is likely.imageimageimage

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Sorry Harmander didn't understand that 2nd paragraph at all.

Have a look at it, its not just about the running.

• Stylish, 

It was in response to the challenge you wanted me to take up:

I saw a programme last night called "Worlds Toughest Mudder" a 24 hour obstacle race where peeps are running over a 100 M. Insane. It makes running a marathon look like a "walk in the park". If you want a proper challenge Harmander, that's my challenge to you image

• Through the 50 mile barrier with another 5 sloooow miles tonight. I will be on around 75 miles this month, increasing the miles through February, March and April for the Hartland Heartbreaker on the 30th to get ahead of the curve. An easier May and June possibly leading to a marathon in October which would have me well on target for the 1000. Then an easy November before starting Grizzly training for next March. You never know what will change but there's no harm in having a plan.

2017 - 54.71

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭

Hermander: Thanks for the insight into your training and racing. Respect. Really interesting to read.

YTD: 74.3 (all treadmill!)

• Evening all,

An hour of power on the treadmill over lunch today.. Less than a third of my miles have been outside. That will change once it warms up a bit (or a lot)!

YTD 83.80

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

4 miles done last night as per the plan (4 miles at 8.46m/m average).

I expect to be behind the curve until the end of June at least.

55 YTD

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Harmander, my challenge was "tongue in cheek" and i know it was your response but i cant make head or tail of it. Lets leave it there.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Stylish - I think he was saying that anything, no matter how challenging, would be easy in comparison with living with his wife for 38 years! (presumably also said tongue in cheek Harmander image)

• You are spot on AndrewD,

But is it her tongue in my cheek or should it be my tongue in her cheek? just checking.

Best leave it there as Stylish says image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Good morning peeps. Tis brass monkeys out there. Today's session was odd miles at easy pace and even ones at tempo, with target paces achieved comfortably. 5.24 miles in all, against a freeeeeeeeezing cold wind.

65.79 ytd

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Cold last night but an 8 mile tempo run (while wrapped up) certainly warmed me up. I hear it's meant to get warmer (and wetter) after the next couple of days.

YTD 89.8

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Thanks Andrew. By the way I agree Harmander.

• Injury issues seem to have struck earlier this year and I'm in a bit of a bad place at the moment. Firstly I've developed an ingrowing toenail and secondly I've had a hernia diagnosed which will require surgery in due course so I'm not running at the moment and once the toe is sorted I'm not sure it's worth building up to marathon distance as it's unlikely I'll be doing a spring marathon. Neither of these issues are terminal for my running career but it's just incredibly frustrating having only had three weeks of injury free running since February of last year!

• 'ow do folks.

Harmander - you're always so cheeky about Mrs. Singh (all in jest, I know)... I can't believe she hasn't knee-capped you before now - it would certainly help us to catch up with your mileage! image

Sounds like a plan - JR!

Great continued dedication to your indoor running Donnie and 20TO10.

Andrew - good to see you getting some consistent running under your belt... hope this means 2017 will be better than 2016 was for you.

Muttley - that's an ace speed session, I really like that idea.

Very nice tempo session, Nick - I tempo ran today too.

Ahh, Matt... that's incredibly frustrating for you - hope all gets sorted soon!

As mentioned, I did a tempo run today: 1 mile w/u, 5 miles at

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Cut off in your prime Nell ......

Unlucky Matt. Hope you can recover swiftly.

4 miles of fartlek for me last night - bitterly cold here. I could hardly breathe at some points! Anyway, it must warm up soon. Surely.

59 YTD

• Yes Nell, what happened mid sentence?

'Er Indoors got to catch me first..

Matt, bad luck old boy, A dropped hernia can be fixed without surgery in some ca

ses.  Even going to sleep with the feet side of the bed raised using a couple of bricks can help.

You guys (and gals) are making me envious with your speed. I don't think I can do that going downhill with a tornado behind me.

another 12.75 miles last nigh makes:

YTD = 193.61 miles (311.583 Km) 

Will be over the 200 mile mark tomorrow.

• I reckon Nell went for a run? 

Unlucky Matt, hope you're sorted in the near future.

3 steady miles @ 9:29 today. I'll settle for that on a hily course.

2017 - 57.71

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭

I do find the thread motivational. Nell - thanks for your wonderfully inclusive posts, a name check by you always reassures me there's others out there.

YTD: 84.3 miles. Another 10k on the treadmill with Pointless rather than the Chase for company.

• Anyone doing London Marathon on here?

If you fancy a jog from Cutty Sark to the finish line (plus a bit more to McDonald's on Whitehall) making it 20 miles on 26 March, just let me know.