"The truth about sports products"

1235»

Comments

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

It seems like a prog i must watch, any chance of link/download?

cheers

• Watched this on iPlayer last night.

Overall found it interesting.

Reinforced that I probably use sports drink too often after shorter runs and bike rides but for my multi hour bike rides, a sports drink is appropriate.

Drinking when you’re thirsty seems sensible.  So as a guide 500ml of something per hour of exercise remains about right?

Would have been interested in a deeper exploration of the "Lucozade Sport is inferior to SIS High Quality Carbohydrate" angle.

I'll continue to drink sports drinks on longer rides and take protein shakes afterwards.  Have no doubt that the 300 miles in 3 days I did last summer would have been harder without them.

On shoes I do over pronate and before having my gait analyses I ran in neutral shoes and got a lot of knee pain.  Have since run through north of 20 pairs of Asics Kayanos - have found that I've got between 350 and 550 miles out of them before they have lost their spring.  Amidst this run of success I tried two other shoes (1) an equivalent Saucony (when I for some reason decided to experiment) which just didn’t seem to fit my feet so well and (2) a pair of Asics 2060s (was a few years ago) when I forgot to pack running shoes on a holiday (young kids play with your mind!!!) – these just didn’t seem as plush in terms of cushioning so went back to Kayanos when they wore out.

Will continue to rely on the evidence of my own body for future purchases…

N

• From reading the excellent Runner's World -'The Runner's Body' book I understand that unless you drink too much fluid (most of us don't) then your sodium concentration goes up during long periods of excercise, because you lose more fluids through sweating than salt. And it's the concentration of sodium, not the overall mass that's important. So replacing 'lost' salt during, or even after long runs is not necessarry (there's enough salt in our regular diets to bring the overall mass up to normal levels). This is all despite the sports drinks industry trying to make us fearfull of losing too much and we must pay for special products to prevent disaster.

• That all depends on how much water you are drinking. The current trend is to drink to excess and not to follow your thirst which dilutes your blood.

Especially as the more you drink, the more you pee.