Too many marathons can kill, warn doctors...

2»

Comments

• Exactly - with the massive range of abilities on this one forum alone, how could anyone make such a generalised comment about marathon running in general??

ps Strangely Brown - is that a Blackadder reference by any chance?

• I quote from the end of a couple of letters in the Lancet discussing a paper about this

"The adverse effects of strenuous exercise for incremental efforts for more than an hour a day did not seem to outweigh the benefits. We were not able to identify an upper limit of physical activity, either moderate or vigorous, above which more harm than good will occur in terms of long-term life expectancy benefits—an observation similarly made by the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. We hope, however, that concerns about too much vigorous activity are more academic than practical, with adverse effects more short-term than long-term. Most of the general population is sedentary and our major challenge is how to make the inactive start exercising, and not to give them reasons to avoid exercise." [my bold text]

It's handy that the Lancet doesn't restrict what you can get at - Lancet letter

• apparently Too Much Love Can Kill You also, according to Queen. Cue the next Daily Mail scare-mongering article.

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Exactly - with the massive range of abilities on this one forum alone, how could anyone make such a generalised comment about marathon running in general??

ps Strangely Brown - is that a Blackadder reference by any chance?

image Oh yes.  The greatest comedy ever penned.

Do you, by any small chance, really enjoy cooked cured pig's belly?

• Good man image

It has been known for me to partake in said cooked cured pig's belly, yes... Running for me is mainly about earning bacon sarniesimage

• A man after my own heart.  My reward on a fortnightly basis after my Sunday LSR is giant bacon butty.  I actually begin thinking about it and start salivating with 5-6 miles still left and can almost smell it as I turn into my road.  Talk about motivational pull!

• Grilled, not fried in lard. I hope.
  • Looking at the benefits of different speeds of running I think there could be a bit of confusion. Obviously somone who has never exercised will have a massive benefit from doing a little bit of excercise and running however slowly. Whereas the benefits of a committed runner increasing speed from 8 to 9 miles an hour will be much less. Its the law of diminishing returns.
  • Your heart rate is a function of its size. The larger your heart, the slower it has to beat. A lower resting heart rate is not an indication of your fitness. Some people have big hearts that beat slowly, some small ones that beat fast. A runner who has a big heart will be able to supply more oxygen to their muscles and be able to run faster for less heart rate effort.

I suspect that runners who habitually run at 8+ mph are runners who have larger hearts. Whether they have larger hearts because they have put them under strain to grow or whether they just have naturally bigger hearts is probably the million dollar question in this case.
  • The main reason people drop down dead whilst exercsing is not due to the amount of training etc and subsequent 'damage caused 'to their hearts, but as a result of an abnormal rhythm.

So, go for a nice long run with a bacon sarnie at the end and forget about it!

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

apparently Too Much Love Can Kill You also, according to Queen. Cue the next Daily Mail scare-mongering article.

I've just checked with The Daily Fail's list of things which cause cancer and I see that candle lit-dinners, hugging, sex and the inevitable broken heart all cause cancer. So I believe Queen were correct all along, too much love can kill you in the end image

However running isn't on the list, in fact there's good evidence it can prevent cancer. Strangely that seemed to miss the front page of The Daily Fail image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

it is true but they're called Snickers these days.

• TimR wrote (see)
    fried in lard.

That's what we call "the jackpot"

• I'll bet there's more Doctors that kill people than Marathons