Why are some runners so ignorant ?

Comments

• Until this question was raised as a forum topic, i never thought about it till now. When i am out running, which is always on my own, and with my MP3 player on, i do a quick nod to some people, i suppose all people, but it might be so subtle that a lot of people might not even see it. I believe in running manners when in a race, but during the training time, i do sometimes find that i am so focussed on my breathing, my pace etc, so dont worry too much about what is going on around me. If i nod, and the other person doesnt nod back, i dont think bad of that person, since i always feel, that i dont know that person, what is going on in their lives, and hence cannot judge them for being rude. I sometimes do run out my bad day, and one time i even ran past a work colleague without knowing, until the next day when they told me.

I think a lot of people do go into the zone. Its not being rude, but it can come across that way, but at the end of the day, how do we really know what that person is feeling.

• Presuming it depends on the environment you are running in.  As has been said, running in a city people tend to ignore each other (not just runners but everyone!).  I run on country lanes and everyone tends to speak or wave.  That said, sometimes it can be half an hour and I haven't seen anyone walking / running / cycling / driving!

Motorbikers tend to all nod at each other too - can get a bit repetitive when there are a dozen bikes going past you image

• And it'll be even worse now the influx of 'I've got a place in the VLM' runners start pounding the streets....

•    I say morning or nod to: all runners, all cyclist, all dog walkers(this can turn into long conversations and my dogs get very impatient), folks in the queue at the bakers or the post office and anyone in general who looks friendly.   It's part of living in a village. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ignorant or apathetic? don't know and I don't care.

🙂

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Podifer wrote (see)
    I think we must be a fairly friendly bunch down here in Torbay image - generally see lots of other runners up and the seafront and around the bay, and it's rare not to have that mutual acknowledgement, I think the comaraderie is one of the nice things about running.

kittenkat wrote (see)
    Podifer wrote (see)
    I think we must be a fairly friendly bunch down here in Torbay image - generally see lots of other runners up and the seafront and around the bay, and it's rare not to have that mutual acknowledgement, I think the comaraderie is one of the nice things about running.

We are in Exeter too! I also run in the bay sometimes as I work there. image

I'm in Newton Abbot and regularly run on the Torbay 10k/half route.  I'm a (recent) member of Teignbridge Trotters image

PS, and off topic.  Why can't I do quotes from iPhone/iPad?

• i've found that, in london, runners only greet each other in extreme weather conditions. in an absolute deluge on Hampstead Heath this week, we were all giving each other the old "aha, you're as bonkers as me!" look...something similar happened during the snow... as for public support, i did occasionlly get cheered In Hyde Park during the Olympics, but that's all over now

• I nod, smile, grunt or raise a hand to nearly all runners I pass.  I give particular encouagement to those who appear to be struggliing.  Most will gesture back though those with Ipods/mp3s tend to be most anti-social. 

• I usually run in central London - rule is ignore everyone unless you are a fruit loop.

When I run in the countryside (Cotswolds, weekend retreat, ja)rule is say hello to everyone, aka people riding horses and cyclists and the odd person driving a kit car.

Simple.
  • I always say good morning to any runners coming in the opposite direction, but not usually to runners going the same way as me that I overtake, because I don't catch their eye. But sometimes I wonder if I should yell hello as I run past (I clearly think about this way too much too). Would that be perceived as (a) friendly, or (b) annoying?

• When I'm out on my LSR early on a Sunday morning I always say good morning to whoever passes in the opposite direction and even those unfortunate enough to be overtaken by me! I find that in something like 95% of cases I get a reply. That goes for runners, cyclists and pedestrians (and the odd drunk still going home from Saturday night)

I always acknowledge cyclists, I run alongside a number of cycle lanes and also share paths with cyclists, and the majority of them respond. Maybe I'm just lucky or the sight of me running towards them scare the carp out of them I don't know. Maybe people are just friendly in Kent, who knows but it doesn't bother me either way. 

• literatin wrote (see)

I wonder if I should yell hello as I run past (I clearly think about this way too much too). Would that be perceived as (a) friendly, or (b) annoying?

I once passed a couple of rather large and exhausted looking guys and gave them the thumbs up as I flew past along the tow path, I was on a tempo run and couldn't talk.  They appreciated it and cheekily yelled back "we're just warming up!".  If you see someone making an effort, a little recognition can go a long way.

• in my experience, horse riders are always friendly to runners...we must be kindred spirits...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I have found a mixed bag with horse riders. Then again each to their own... I like to run they like to be taken for a walk by their horse image

• carterusm wrote (see)
    Loon. wrote (see)

just becuase I'm out running I don't see why I need to acknowledge every one else out running. I'm not the most sociable of people and some days I just don't want to acknowledge the rest of the world. some days I do, some days I dont. I don't understand why it's something to get upset about tbh, just becuase you share a hobby doesn't mean you need to say hello to everyone else you see

fine, you carry on being miserable then, thats entirely your choice of course.

That doesn't sound very friendly, rather rude. What is miserable about not wanting to acknowledge everyone you see.

I'm with Loon on this. In fact few of the runners I see make any attempt to acknowledge me either. I'm happy with that.
    Dog walkers and cyclists are very different though and when the give me room it's only polite to say thanks. I doubt that I smile, I probably look like I'm at deaths door and about to turn into a zombie. Well that's what I feel like anyway.

• @Bex Hill - so you say thank you when a dog walker or a cyclist give you room but when another runner moves to one side of the pavement/path you wont ?  

• I like to acknowledge other runners, it just seems polite to do so. Some respond, some don't.

In my motorcycle days in the late 70's and early 80's, nearly all motorcyclists waved/acknowledged one another. Even stopped to enquire you were okay if you'd pulled up on the roadside. Not sure if they still do now.
  • MR2 - Yes they do image  I'm a biker and we all nod as we pass and I have been known to stop to make sure bikes pulled up at the side of the road OK.  I've made loads of new friends in the past 18 months since I've had a bike.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I sometimes initiate a nod/hello (which is sometimes reciprocated and sometimes not, either of which is totally fine by me), and sometimes I know I run passed a runner where I may not respond with a nod.

For me it depends on if I'm out for a leisurely run, or if I'm on a hard session where I'm concentrating/on the edge. I've always assumed other runners are similar so if a runner doesn't respond for whatever reason, I don't even give it a second thought but I wouldn't consider them as ignorant.
  • If people don't want go initiate a nod/smile/wave then that's fine. But if I do acknowledge them 4/5 yards away and they don't respond then that is ignorant, in my opinion
  • Question to all the people that choose not to acknowledge other runners- my next door neighbours been living next door for 8 months now and despite regularly passing each other always completely blanks us. Do you say hello to your neighbours or do you not feel you should just because you happen to live next door to each other?
  • Andy, ahhhh, well, do you go and knock on your new neighbours door when they move in to say hello, welcome them, and introduce yourself? I do. ( some anyway, as I live in a block of flats in London - so lots of people moving in and out all the time, so I'm friendly with everyone on my floor).

Maybe by not initiating that, they think there's no point in saying hello?
  • of course I acknowledge my neighbours because they are people I know. what a ridiculous thing to say

• carterusm wrote (see)

@Bex Hill - so you say thank you when a dog walker or a cyclist give you room but when another runner moves to one side of the pavement/path you wont ?  

Honestly, why are you being so stupid? Did I say that. No of course I did not. Why not? Well I've never had a runner move to one side for me for starters. Of course if they did  I wouls say thak you. However non of the runners I pass acknowledge me or say thank you if I move out of their way. It really doesn't bother me in the slightest.

You don't even seem to realise that you are being quite rude to others in this thread.

• I don't see many other runners but I always say hi to most people I come across as I live in a village.. that's what we do.

I think if you've no time to even give someone a nod or smile, irrespective of what they're doing, then you need to re-evaluate yourself!

• IMHO,. if you need to be acknowledged by everyone you see then you probably need to re-evaluate yourself. it's not healthy to expect to be liked by everyone or have everyone approve of you. 

• @Bex Hill. A couple of points. Firstly, this is a forum where people discuss things and there will always be opposing views. Given some of the comments on this thread I feel that I could have worded the title differently. I am new to this so I hope people will understand that. However, I am entitled to my view the same as everybody else. You will also see, if you read this thread again, that some people have had similar experiences as me regarding being acknowledged. As ever, there are both sides of an argument.

Secondly, if I may quote you - "You don't even seem to realise that you are being quite rude to others in this thread". How am I being rude ? I am just giving my opinion,the same as everyone else. Including you. I just happen to find it ignorant if i acknowledge someone and they don't respond. Hence me starting this thread to see if other runners agreed or not. I believe that is one of the purposes of a forum. And if I may quote you again- "Honestly, why are you being so stupid". I'm assuming that you don't think this is being rude ? Is it alright for you to be personal about me but I can't say how I feel ?

@Loon - I'm not trying to be liked by everyone and I don't expect everyone to approve of me. Like I said go Bex Hill, this is a forum and people will give different views.

Anyway, I went for a run this morning and every runner and I acknowledged each other. I enjoyed my run immensely.....
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Carterusm, as you said a few replies ago, I think you need to learn to stop being so sensitive about it. However, have you now made it such an issue that you go out purposefully to catch out all of these 'ignorant' runners? Are you purposefully acknowledging every passing runner to make sure they acknowledge you back? Do you keep a checklist/scoresheet?image

If you pass a group of club runners, do you expect all off them to acknowledge you? What about in a race with several 100/1000 competitors?
  • Feral wrote (see)

I think if you've no time to even give someone a nod or smile, irrespective of what they're doing, then you need to re-evaluate yourself!

Really?  Does this statement apply in any conceivable situation?  Have you ever walked or run over London Bridge at 8.30 on a Monday morning?