1 stone off by Christmas!

Comments

• Morning, everybody! Sorry for being a bit quiet too - its been quite a busy week.

Managed to lose 1lbs (not exactly mind boggling but I take it gratefully!), despite gorging on pizza on Monday before watching 007 and thus missing my xtraining image

I seem to be getting on top of that darn biscuit habit too and if I do get a terrible urge for something sweet I'm now having a slice of bitter chocolate instead.

Anyway, have a fab weekend all x

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Evenin folks! A good weeks running here, after a hilly 5m on the,road last night at a quickish pace I finally feel,like I'm starting to regain some fitness. Ice also just discovered the Garmin connect website which is so much better than Sportracks where I was previously downloading my GPS data. Shows me as 653 miles for 2012 so far. I wonder If 1000 is achievable? Mrs f has escaped for a 3 day spa break in dorset so no running for me this weekend, apart from running the kids to athletics, football, singing etc! Just made some healthy and wholesome scones care of a waitrose receipe. Wholemeal flour, sultanas, pumpkin seeds, grated carrot, skimmed milk, touch if Brown sugar and vanilla essence. Nice healthy post exercise treats for me and the kids! May be forced to consume a couple if cold ones tonight as I finally get control of the sky plus planner!
  • Good work Mr f.

I'm full of cold yet again today, so no training for me. Hopefully I'll be able to run a littel over the weekend. It's really frustrating, I've had a cold on and off for 7 weeks now and it does interfere with both training and incentive to eat well.

•  

marshallini wrote (see)

I will take it easy for the next couple of days as I don't want to risk over doing it.

Those easy days turned in to complete inactivity days.

Ran up a mountain on Friday and ran a 5k race today, weight is still 13 stone.

Running is feeling ok tho and weight isn't a worry, so all in all everything is goodimage

Keep up the good work everyoneimage

• Just jump onto this thread...  to offer encouragement (actually, I'm just showing off image)

Had one of those man-health check ups in July. Weighed an all-time high 12st 1lb  - with most of it in the dangerous area... round my middle (39").  They reckon that your diabetes risk is increased above 37" belly.  Today, I had a re-check and am down to 11st 0lb - and a quarter of an inch below the 37" limit. So very happy.

I've not been on any crash diets or anything... just (almost) cut out cakes, biscuits and things with 'empty' calories' in them - also greatly reduced eating of processed foods, and quite enjoyed cooking a bit more (rather than pie into the oven!) That has been combined with marathon training... which burns up plenty.

Good luck all.

• How tall are you run wales? 39" waist at 12st 1lb, that's exacly what I weigh but a baggy 34" waist? I'm 5' 10" not slim built!

• Evening all.

A fairly good week for me on the food front. While I don't necessarily eat healthily I haven't eaten much rubbish at all. Only last night did I have any beers so all in all a good week.

I went for my LSR this evening and did 17 miles which included quite a few miles of hills. I went in to the peaks where it was pitch black and foggy so it was quite spooky running along the roads with my headlight on. I even took in an off road trail and got spooked a couple of times by sheep that were hiding in the bracken and then ran off when they saw me.

So, it's weigh in day for me and when I jumped on the scales I was 13st dead. That means an overall loss for me of 3lbs, which considering I've been away for a few days I'm quite happy with.

I hope everyone has had a good week and the scales are kind to you !
  • Evening all, not a bad week. 28 miles. New week starts today and started with a nice  7 miler. Weigh midweek. Sounds like everyone is doing quite well. Carterusm good work on the 17 miles image

All the best for the week everyone

• lardarse wrote (see)

How tall are you run wales? 39" waist at 12st 1lb, that's exacly what I weigh but a baggy 34" waist? I'm 5' 10" not slim built!

Hi Lardarse.

I'm about same height as you,  and also wore 34" waist trousers that were a bit baggy (they're a bit baggier now... but not loads more).

So it came as a bit of a shock when I put a tape measure round the biggest bit of my belly...  roughly at belly-button level, and realised I was actually rather more than 34" !!   In fact, although I said I was 39"...  I was wrong.  I was actually 41" (my brain must have blotted out that awful figure)  -  I found the original piece of paper yesterday.   This makes a lot more sense, because I could see I've lost a lot round my belly since July.. and now I know just over 4" has disappeared, that fits.   Note that these measures are done absolutely honestly - totally relaxed.  It is very easy to reduce that by an inch or two almost without realising it.

My natural  frame is not exactly skinny... but it's on the slim side - and it seems that additional fat largely spreads around my middle.    It is quite possible to be the 12st 1lb  and have a much more even distribution of fat (which I understand is much less dangerous from a health viewpoint than having the extra fat concentrated around your vital organs around your abdomen)  -  or you could just  be broader of chest, shoulders, leg.   But it is recommended that you check with a tape measure to find the biggest part of your middle..... I understand that anything above 40" is considered a notable risk, and above 37" is a somewhat elevated risk... so might be worth a check!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Morning crew! Feelin really sluggish after a busy weekend, not a seriously healthy diet and no running. Hopefully put that to bed today when Mrs F comes back and I can get out for a decent run! Have a good day folks!
  • Run Wales wrote (see)
    lardarse wrote (see)

How tall are you run wales? 39" waist at 12st 1lb, that's exacly what I weigh but a baggy 34" waist? I'm 5' 10" not slim built!

Hi Lardarse.

I'm about same height as you,  and also wore 34" waist trousers that were a bit baggy (they're a bit baggier now... but not loads more).

So it came as a bit of a shock when I put a tape measure round the biggest bit of my belly...  roughly at belly-button level, and realised I was actually rather more than 34" !!   In fact, although I said I was 39"...  I was wrong.  I was actually 41" (my brain must have blotted out that awful figure)  -  I found the original piece of paper yesterday.   This makes a lot more sense, because I could see I've lost a lot round my belly since July.. and now I know just over 4" has disappeared, that fits.   Note that these measures are done absolutely honestly - totally relaxed.  It is very easy to reduce that by an inch or two almost without realising it.

My natural  frame is not exactly skinny... but it's on the slim side - and it seems that additional fat largely spreads around my middle.    It is quite possible to be the 12st 1lb  and have a much more even distribution of fat (which I understand is much less dangerous from a health viewpoint than having the extra fat concentrated around your vital organs around your abdomen)  -  or you could just  be broader of chest, shoulders, leg.   But it is recommended that you check with a tape measure to find the biggest part of your middle..... I understand that anything above 40" is considered a notable risk, and above 37" is a somewhat elevated risk... so might be worth a check!

Run wales, that really is odd as you're the same height as me. 34 is around the biggest part of me, I tend to wear my jeans high (simon cowell! oh god), I was wearing the same 34" jeans when I 15 stone, all be it they were tight. That's why I found it odd you must have very narrow hips maybe? I've lost 20lbs over the last 3 months and my shoulders back and arms have wasted away and I now look like a skinny scrawny mess! lol Everyone tells me i'm thin, or too thin, so to have a 41" waist at 12st and 5' 10" seems incredible, there would have to be no muscle on my arms and legs what so ever?

• lardarse wrote (see)
    Run wales, that really is odd as you're the same height as me. 34 is around the biggest part of me, I tend to wear my jeans high (simon cowell! oh god), I was wearing the same 34" jeans when I 15 stone, all be it they were tight. That's why I found it odd you must have very narrow hips maybe? I've lost 20lbs over the last 3 months and my shoulders back and arms have wasted away and I now look like a skinny scrawny mess! lol Everyone tells me i'm thin, or too thin, so to have a 41" waist at 12st and 5' 10" seems incredible, there would have to be no muscle on my arms and legs what so ever?

That sounds terrible!  In fact, I think you should be saying that there is no FAT on my arms & legs whatsoever (although my arms wouldn't win a body-builders' competition!)

You say that your shoulders, back and arms have wasted to a scrawny mess...   but that would (I guess) never happen to me - as that's not where I put on body-fat.  It sounds like like when you put on weight, you put it on nice and evenly about your body.  If you have to be overweight, I understand that this is the healthiest way to be.

My genetics, like quite a number of men, are different. If I put on any excess weight, the first place it goes onto is my stomach (where it is most damaging health-wise)...  and my face fills out a little... but there is hardly any effect on legs and arms.  I was carrying 41" around...  but anyone seeing a picture of my legs would think they belonged to a pretty well toned athlete (they do now image).

So I'm really out of proportion only when I'm overweight.   I'm actually 5'9" (I wasn't going to quibble over that small difference)... and like I said, I'm down to 11st now, and just under 37" stomach. I think I need to get to a 34" waist to lose all the 'beer-belly' appearance... which would probably be about another 7lb.    Here's hoping!

• Hello all, well done on the weight loss for those that have reported. A few seem to have gone AWOL, hope that's just a temporary thing and you'll be back soon. I lost another 3.5lb this week, so down to 13, 7lb. So only 2lb away from my target. Feel a bit of a fraud as i have been seriously ill, but on the road to recovery now and think that i may gain a bit of weight before i lose more. Haven't been running for a few weeks due to the illness, but hoping to get back into it next week.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Hope you start to recover rats. Just sat watchjng the James cracknell trilogy.. that bloke is awesome, I wish I had his mental strength!

Still being healthy, will weigh in later but not expecting a significant loss his week
  • 7 weeks today to christmas day.keeping the hard work up all..................image

• Hope you get the trainers back on soon Rats. image

• Hi all,

I have been missing from here for a little while, I was busy having a nightmare time with my violent ex partner and my daughters birthday, at the same time, unfortunately.

All over and done with now, for another year, but I am a stress-eater and have eaten back on the 3 pounds that I had lost.

Luckily I know from experience that if I get back on track straight away that weight will fall off again quick enough. So I am very much back on track, focussed and ready to go again.

Well done to everyone who is doing well at the minute, and if anyone else out there has had a little blip like me, don't worry, we can still do it!

Have a good day everyone xxx

• Hi Springle

Good to hear from you again.

I had a blip also as I went to New York for a week. I didn't get down on myself though and as soon as I got home I was back on the healthiness and put my running shoes back on. I doubt I will go all the way to xmas without having another blip but should I scoff too much then so be it, I will just start again the following day.

Rats - good to hear youre on the mend. If youve been that ill then it's only right that you have something good come out of it. 2lb off your target, however you've got there, is great news. Keep it going and you might smash your weight target.

Do we have weekly updates for anyone else ?

• Hi All,

Last weigh in 12st 11.2lb, so sort of stable more than anything else.

But my running has taken a turn for the better. After months of struggling I think I've got over what ever it was that was causing my premature fatigue.

I don't want to get carried away though and start racing every weekend on the back of a 60 mile week. I'm taking a more sensible, measured approach, I very rarely took rest days before, but now I'm taking days off when I've had a good run, making sure I'm getting enough recovery and hopefully this will help me get back somewhere close to where I want to be, I'm in no hurry, I am past my prime and I've ticked all my running/triathlon boxes so it's just about having fun now.

onwards and upwardsimage

• Marshallini - I had similar issues to you as I was overdoing it too. A few weeks back I was running most days without resting enough and I would always run as far and as fast as I could. Now, I am following a proper training plan, and though my mileage has reduced slightly I am feeling a lot better on each run. I am slowly building up the mileage again so all is good.

Are you training for a race ?
  • Hi carterusm, I spent a full year training for the Outlaw triathlon which was at the beginning of July and had a great time, everything went to plan (training and racing), but post Outlaw it's been a different story;

After the tri the plan was to take my super endurance and top it up with some speed and hill work and destroy a local 17 mile trail race and then run a marathon pb somewhere;

July - As planned I took the rest of the month easy
    August - I upped both the volume and intensity and things weren't going too badly, but at the end of the month the wheels just fell off.
    September - I took the whole of the month off and just ate junk and as a result the weight piled on.
    October - I was keen to get going again but it just wasn't happening, I'd get to about 20 minutes into a run and just run out of steam, it'd feel like I'd been out for two and a half hours running hills, something was definitely wrong.
    November - I plodded on through October and in the last week or so things have picked up, I'm running at a steady pace for 50-60 mins now with no problems, but like I said in my previous post I can't afford to get carried away lest I break down again.

Ok life story over and back to the actual question;

Are you training for a race ?

Simple answer is; No.

but I still have it in the back of my mind that I can run a big marathon pb next year, so I'll be building up my distance and quicking up my pace and if 3-4 months down the line things have gone well then I'll start looking for a suitable race.

I'll be probably racing on Sunday in local inter-club league race, about 5-6 miles, not expecting much tho.

• Springle, I'm sure you'll be back on track soon.

Good to hear about the improvement in running Marshallini.

I've only managed a few short runs this week so far, but hoping for a long one tomorrow. This stupid cold I can't shake off is holding me back.

On the positive side, I've lost 4kg since I started, so certainly on track

Off to Pakistan at the weekend for 2 weeks, so probably won't be able to run. I have packed my foam roller though, and have a strength and conditioning programme to follow, so hopefully I won't lose too much fitness I've also asked for healthy food (last time I got given a take-away each night) so fingers crossed.

I might not be online much until I return

• Weighed in this morning a 12st 11.4lb so no movement there.

Had planned a nice run in the country today, I was going to go for double figures, but just couldn't be arsed, so went the market and got a big breakfast bin lid and for some reason the lady thru in a big slice of home made cake for free.

So I had to go for a run this evening, went down to the club and ended up running 5.7 miles on my own, same route as everyone else, but I went off quick and everyone else was taking it easy before Sunday's club race.

Still, another good in the bag, even tho I had the above tune in my head the whole time.

• Good work Marshallini - even when the day didn't start as planned you brought it back.

I did my last long run for a couple of weeks today - 14k.

Here's hoping to at least stay still in the next 2 weeks. Speak when I get back.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Nice going marshallini, that hearty breakfast clearly served as your carb load for the day!

Morning all! Weigh in yesterday at 12.11lbs so progress is slow but in the right direction! I'm up to 37m so far this month so I should be on for a decent mileage come the start of December. Well done everyone with their progress, I'm hoping to stretch out my loss this week with some extra healthy eating! Watched my two eldest (ages 7 and 9) at our county indoor sportshall athletics competition last night. For those with kids sportshall athlerics is a fantastic fun and high energy competition. A mixture of sprints, relays, obstacles, jumps etc. Some of the 15yr olds were amazingly quick, hopefully a sign of the future for our club. Back to training on the track for them this morning!

Enjoy India Jane
  • Hi there. I'm one of those runners that thinks (still! After 4 years of running!) that because I'm running and doing lots of exercise that I can eat all the rubbish I like. As a consequence I have put on about 10 pounds since I finished a diet about 3 years ago. I'm running the Brighton Marathon in April, and would really like to get back down to the weight I was - 8 stone 10lb - so that I can give myself the best chance of running a sub 4. Plus I have ITB issues in my left knee (which I'm dealing with through strengthening and rollering, etc.) which I think weight loss would help. I am currently 9 stone 8lb and would like to lose the 12 lbs by February. So I have plenty of time. But I find it daunting, because I'm a bit of a comfort eater.

So there you have it. That's me!