Exercise induced asthma research - volunteers needed

Hi Runners! Do you have asthma or exercise induced asthma?

With increases in prevalence of asthma and exercise induced asthma, and greater understanding that severity could be improved through dietary manipulation; researchers at Nottingham Trent University are currently conducting a number of novel research trials investigating the effectiveness of different dietary supplements to aid in the management of exercise induced asthma.  

Who can take part?

*   Physically active men and women, aged 18-45 years, who exercise at least 3 hours a week
  *   People who have asthma, or exercise induced asthma, or experience symptoms of wheezing, cough, and tightness in the chest during and/or after exercise

What will you get out of it?

*   Specific diagnostic testing for exercise induced asthma as recommended by the International Olympic Committee Medical Commission
Potential reduction in your asthma symptoms   *   Free fitness testing

More information /take part

The studies have been approved by Nottingham Trent University’s Human Ethics Committee

If you are interested in taking part or would like more information please email one of the following:

Mr Neil Williams neil.williams2010@my.ntu.ac.uk - Postgraduate researcher, Sport Science Dr Kirsty Hunter kirsty.hunter@ntu.ac.uk - Senior Lecturer, Sport Science

Comments

• I have emailed you. Your colleagues out of office reply says she will be back in January 2013?!

• Ah she is away over easter, obviously not updated her out of office since Christmas! Thanks for your e-mail will get back to it now.

• Was gonna email, then realised I'm out of the age bracket image

• Hi Sharon, yes sorry about that to comply with our Human Ethics Committee the age range is restircted to 18-45. 

• I'd like to do this but Nottingham is just a little too far.

• I'm same as Sharon, out of age - if only you'd done it last year image
  • Hi All, 

Thanks to all those that have responded so far, we are still look for more asthmatic volunteers for these studies. So if you can get to Nottingham and are interested in recieving a specific exercise induced asthma diagnosis and interested in our novel reserach then please get in touch!

Who can take part?

*   Physically active men and women, aged 18-45 years, who exercise at least 3 hours a week

*   People who have asthma, or exercise induced asthma, or experience symptoms of wheezing, cough, and tightness in the chest during and/or after exercise

What will you get out of it?

*   Specific diagnostic testing for exercise induced asthma as recommended by the International Olympic Committee Medical Commission

*   Potential reduction in your asthma symptoms  

*   Free fitness testing

More information /take part

The studies have been approved by Nottingham Trent University’s Human Ethics Committee

If you are interested in taking part or would like more information please email one of the following:

Mr Neil Williams neil.williams2010@my.ntu.ac.uk - Postgraduate researcher, Sport Science 

Dr Kirsty Hunter kirsty.hunter@ntu.ac.uk - Senior Lecturer, Sport Science

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Neil Williams 28 wrote (see)

Ah she is away over easter, obviously not updated her out of office since Christmas! Thanks for your e-mail will get back to it now.

Her out of office message is still on !

• Mr Chloella has just done this, very useful information for him and he got a pretty printout to geek out over.

• Hi Chloella,

Glad he found the information useful

• I have recently completed this study, and must admit found it really insightful and the information beneficial.

Neil is really easy to get along with, and helps explain all the different elements of the testing, and what that is trying to achieve, so would recommend this to anyone who thinks they may be suffering from exercise induced asthma

• What are the dietary supplements that are being tested? Unfortunately at 46 I'm too old to take part but interested in the theory as my asthma is really bugging me at the moment 

•  

savi wrote (see)

What are the dietary supplements that are being tested? Unfortunately at 46 I'm too old to take part but interested in the theory as my asthma is really bugging me at the moment 

Hi Savi, we are looking at Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. They have anti-inflammatory properties that have the potential to surpress the airway inflammation associated with exercise induced asthma. Of real interest is the biologically active fatty acids of EPA and DHA typically found in oily fish. However, the quantities gained from a normal 'western' diet are often not adequate to have any benficial effect hence the need for dietary supplementation of omega 3 capsules. If you would like further info then please feel free to message me directly. 

• nice i found good information 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Interesting and I'm localish but I don't think I've suffered from asthma since about a month after I took up running image when I was in my 20s it was bad and had to be rushed to a&e a few times didn't think I'd be able to run, but since I have my asthma has pretty much disappeared i van go out even in fog and damp conditions image 

• Hi All, thanks to all those that have been in touch so far and taken part. We are seeing some really interesting results and improvments in EIA. So if you have asthma or exercise induced asthma then please get in touch we are still recruiting volunteers. 

booktrunk wrote (see)

Interesting and I'm localish but I don't think I've suffered from asthma since about a month after I took up running image when I was in my 20s it was bad and had to be rushed to a&e a few times didn't think I'd be able to run

Booktrunk thanks for your message please get in touch if you would like to come in for an exercise induced asthma diagnosis session. 

• Hi Runners

If you are interested in this research but Nottingham is too far to travel I am also conducting research into exercise induced asthma at the Centre for Sport Medicine and Human Performance, Brunel University London. For more information please click the link below.  

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/exercise-induced-asthma-research-/251980.html#10468486

Best wishes

Andy

• Is this research still going on? I have EIA and would be interested.