Groin Strain/Achilles Tendonitis

Hello people! Not looking for sympathy- just a new runner who has run into a couple of injuries (pun unintended) and looking for advice...

I started running early this year, but managed to give myself a groin strain a few months ago after pushing myself too far. After trying to rest it for weeks at a time and having it repeatedly flare up, I decided to book an appointment with a physio. The day before that appointment, I went out walking and managed to get Achilles Tendonitis on the same side as my groin strain!

I've been given some stretches to do twice a day and also told to take ibuprofen, but I was just wondering if anyone here has any more advice to offer?

Should I do my stretches whilst I'm still feeling pain from either injury, or wait it out?

Also, I was hoping to go on a rather long two day hike in two weeks time. Whilst the groin strain has never flared up from walking so shouldn't be an issue, is my Achilles likely to have healed by then? I'm guessing that I should forget the hike? 

Sorry for the essay. I see the physio again in a week but in the mean time, any insight/advice that the friendly folk on here could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Hi LS

Getting 2 injuries on the same side is like winning the lottery twice. Very, very, very but doable.

I think you are getting functional problems (what you are doing) rather than having structural issues (what's wrong).

Stretching rarely cures you, but may help in making you feel better. Your Physio needs to assess away from the pain and find out why. You need your back, pelvis, gluts and lower limb stability looked....
  • Six Physio wrote (see)
    Hi LS

Getting 2 injuries on the same side is like winning the lottery twice. Very, very, very but doable.

I think you are getting functional problems (what you are doing) rather than having structural issues (what's wrong).

Stretching rarely cures you, but may help in making you feel better. Your Physio needs to assess away from the pain and find out why. You need your back, pelvis, gluts and lower limb stability looked....

Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit unsure what you mean. Are you saying that you suspect my two injuries are being caused by a greater underlying problem that may be related to my lower limbs and back in general? 

I have been getting back -or what feels like shoulder blade- pain on my left side when in bed for several months now. Could this be connected? The physio didn't seem to think so but I will mention it to him again next week.

Also, should I be stretching whilst the injuries are still giving me pain? I was told to go through the stretches twice each day until I see him again, but it's still hurting. 

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really worried!
    Thanks again. 

• Yes!

I think your groin and achilles are bothg connected to an underlying issue with your back/pelvis/gluts etc. If your treat (or stretch) the symptoms you don't address the underlying cause.

You've an over stretch issue - your groin and achilles are over stretched and painful because something else is not moving enough...this'll be the bit between your shoulder blades  (thoracic spine) causing you to poke your chin out and get referred pain in this area.

A stiff thoracic spine will cause youre low back to move too much. This will over use and over stretch the supporting muscles (your groin). They are not designed to do this.

Not sure I'd stretch an over stretched area....but I would stretch your stiff thoracic spine..

• Six Physio wrote (see)

Yes!

I think your groin and achilles are bothg connected to an underlying issue with your back/pelvis/gluts etc. If your treat (or stretch) the symptoms you don't address the underlying cause.

You've an over stretch issue - your groin and achilles are over stretched and painful because something else is not moving enough...this'll be the bit between your shoulder blades  (thoracic spine) causing you to poke your chin out and get referred pain in this area.

A stiff thoracic spine will cause youre low back to move too much. This will over use and over stretch the supporting muscles (your groin). They are not designed to do this.

Not sure I'd stretch an over stretched area....but I would stretch your stiff thoracic spine..

Thanks, this is an interesting theory. I will definitely mention it to him.

Are you sure they may not just be seperate injuries in their own right?

I realise now that in my first post, I may have made it seem as if the Achilles Tendonitis came out of the blue. In reality, when I got it, I was testing out some new walking boots, had a 12kilo pack on my back, and had had a long day of walking in the same new boots the previous day.

Surely these are prime conditions for an Achilles strain, regardless of a more complex underlying back problem? Especially as I was going up hills, putting strain on the tendon more than it would be used to? Perhaps my physio is correct to treat each injury seperately, initially at least?

Thanks.

• My physio diagnosed me with a stiff back a while back.....he recommended I buy a foam roller, then lie down on it lengthways with my shoulder blades on either side and my neck just at the top end, then relax and let my shoulder blades drop down on either side.  The whole back relaxes after a minute or two, and when you stand after 5 or 6 minutes the back feels a lot looser. Give it a try, it may help with a thoracic spine issue (not sure if it helps the spine, or just the surrounding muscles instead, either way it feels good).

• LS - maybe, but I doubt it. It's far too easy to look for conincidental things that fit our belief system. If it was that easy you'd be getting better naturally and stretching would be the way forward.

BTW Ian's stretching tip is the best there is and can't reccommend it enough.
  • Thanks guys. I definitely don't see the harm in trying the stretch mentioned above until I see my physio again next week.

Can it be done with a rolled up towel instead of a foam roller?

• Yes, I believe so - that was the alternative suggested by my physio. Good luck!