Muscle does weigh more than fat

2»

Comments

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Taxi Driver wrote (see)
    Cinders wrote (see)

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat!  Muscle is just more dense than fat.

A pound of one thing always weighs exactly the same as a pound of anything else and, therefore, everything weighs exactly the same...  Or something...

Err, one pound of fat, or muscle, or feathers weighs more than one pound of gold....

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • It's all Slugs to me

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

Have you not realised it is not a debate about weight at all. It is a debate about volume. Smaller obviously means lighter.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Let me start by saying I don't know what I'm talking about and CBA to check precisely.

can't the entire substance of everything in the known (and unknown) universe be, theoretically, compressed into a really, really, small space? That being the case, fat weighs more than the universe then? 

Or something like that image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • A teaspoon of Neutron star weighs more than everyone on earth combined...

• Is that a level or a heaped teaspoon?

• Ah...you can't actually use the spoon, it would vapourise...

• Chimney wrote (see)

Let me start by saying I don't know what I'm talking about and CBA to check precisely.

can't the entire substance of everything in the known (and unknown) universe be, theoretically, compressed into a really, really, small space? That being the case, fat weighs more than the universe then? 

Or something like that image

theoretically - maybe.  if the big bang theory is correct then the known universe came from something called a singularity - basically something incredibly tiny that went KABOOOOOM and that created the universe.   if the theory is correct, the universe will eventually stop expanding and will shrink back to that singularity.   

and given that the known laws of physics are unlikely to apply to the singularity, then weight would purely become an abstract concept - as would time, distance, and everything else we measure things by.

ain't science fun?? image

• Can I also point out that we are mostly discussing mass here not weight, just for a giggle of course!

• Mike M wrote (see)

Here is tonights homework:

What happens if you drop a pound of fat and a pound of muscle off the leaning tower of Pisa? Do they land at the same time? And who will clear up the mess?

That will depend on which side of the tower it's dropped from. If it was the side opposite the direction of lean, the two substances will hit the side of the tower. Then you'll need to get the local council in with a cage on an elevating arm to take someone high enough to clean the resulting mess...

• Elizabeth Dix 4 wrote (see)

Can I also point out that we are mostly discussing mass here not weight, just for a giggle of course!