Organic food no better

2»

Comments

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Wouldn't it be better for the Kenyans to use their richest most fertile land to grow food for their own people?

They do.

• They do? mmmmmm...... maybe I should counter that with they don't. Oh hang on a minute I'm not 5
  • In order to be able to raise money to invest locally (e.g. in eduction, healthcare), farmers in the developing world need to be able to export to international markets.  This might mean that they decide that using good quality land to generate a more profitable crop for export (and therefore be able to send their kids to school) is worth it, even if that means using poorer land for their own food.  I'd prefer that they had that choice than be restricted to only growing food for their neighbours. 

Rather than avoiding food imports from developing countries altogether, we could instead be buying their products but also insisting on fair trade to maximise farmers' profits and reduce the amount of exports required for them to make a living.

They do? mmmmmm...... maybe I should counter that with they don't. Oh hang on a minute I'm not 5

I've been to Kenya, and I've seen it how the rich & fertile land is used to grow produce for Kenyans.

• But what about farmers in this country, charity starts at home. Not abroad, as soon as they sort the corruption then we will invest NOT give money blindly to corrupt governments.
  • More than one study has found that organic fruit and vegetables have significantly more vitamin C than non-organic ones. When I was doing my A Levels I tested this on some orange juice and found for myself that the organic juice had almost three times as much vitamin C as an otherwise equivalent non-organic product, which is the same difference the peer reviewed research found. 

European research I remember reading about found that men who ate the least organic foods had the lowest quality sperm. Worrying considering most people eat none, whereas our grandparents ate nothing else.

Organic milk is also better because it's not got antibiotics in and the cows are guaranteed to have a good diet. One study reported that children who drink exclusively organic milk have a lower rate of allergies than those who drink non-organic or a mixture of both, but just the one study and I didn't look into it much so more research should be done. That's a pretty important suggestion to investigate as allergies are becoming so much more common.

Then there's the fact that organic meat has a different composition of fat to non-organic meat. The ratios of the various kinds of fat in our diets are very important not just for heart health but for our brains and moods.

• Am I the only one who doesn't give a toss about anything i've read in this thread?

Our poor farmers - they're not poor, please!
    Farmers in other countries - so what?
    My sperm count - Thank fuck for that, less chance of getting some slag up the duff!

The noodles I buy come from China, 11p a packet, they couldn't have come any further, I want the cheapest food I can get.

• 6 across. Someone who throws things _oss_r. Ahh thanks Lardarse I just got the answer

6 across. Someone who throws things _oss_r. Ahh thanks Lardarse I just got the answer

Something in this thread we can agree on, SR.  image

• @lardarse - exactly. All consumers are interested in one thing: price.