Runner's Tummy

It's a common question on the forums, so I thought I'd address the issue in my nutrition blog. Runner's Tum - learn why it happens and what you can do about it image

Comments

• 1. It happens for lots of reasons

2. Eat something you know doesn't go straight through you!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Pretty much! But with a bit more detail image

• Sarah, is this sort of thing limited to runners or do people get it in other sports? I know it's jogger's bowels (like the term image) but it seems lots of the things you mention wouldn't be limited to running? If not why not, is the mechanical movement key? If it is across sports do other sports call it a name unique to them like tennis trots or squash squits?

Only asking out of interest, I can eat a full Sunday 3 course meal then run image
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

It's not limited to runners, although it does tend to trouble people who take part in endurance based sports more than other forms of activity. I saw some fairly obvious signs of... problems, on the retreating form of a cyclist at a sportive once!

• Would motion control shoes help?

• Thanks Sarah - very interesting read. There are some good points here that I wasnt aware of.

I hadn't realised that dehydration could be a factor & know I don't take on enough water / fluids before training or racing as I'm worried about the 'sloshing' effect. I'll definitely have to address this in future.

Also you mention that hot drinks can have an effect, but I also find very cold drinks from the fridge can cause a dodgystomach. Dont touch fizzy drinks with a bargepole for the same reasons!

Often wish I'd been good at another sport which involved less impact....running really seems to exacerbate stomach problems.

After 16 years of hiding ongoing stomach problems to my running club and training partners (due to embarrassment) I finally 'fessed up' last night...thought I should explain why I have to cut so many training sessions and races short, whilst sprinting for the nearest facilities! image

• Muttley wrote (see)

Would motion control shoes help?

Perfect image