ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• The most important thing to remember is.......

my votes can be bought image

• Ha ha Tenjiso! image

What about your experience from Bootcamp last year? Any tips?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Now, now Sarah!!! You never struck me that way!image

How much Tenjiso? image

I'd love to do a running holiday, but like Mrs Malcs, Mrs DS2 might not be too happy, especially since I'm already booked out to ride LEJOG in 10 days in August 2013.

I can't afford a divorce!

• Hey all. Congratulations to all those who got through, appears our best banterers RRR and Malcs will make for some interesting forum entries in the future and I look forward to reading your election pieces !
    Great to see both palsamcymru and shady_Ady getting the nod, just hope you're not both in the same category as that will make my voting even harder!
    I didn't make the cut so will have to settle for a consulation run with the club this eve and make plans for next year, my single pink sock won't be half mast for long.....

Goodluck to the remaining fewimage

• Weeeeeelllllll.....I do need some new trainers image

Last years winners all paid me the most.  Fact.

RRR - I'm not an ex-bootcamper.  Probably the only one on RW who isn't I think (hear those violins playing).

• Sorry to hear that there's no chance of matching pink socks at Paris Jimmers image Maybe next year...

Sorry Tenjiso. I've chatted to you on the Au Revoir Cobbles thread a couple of times and assumed ... Anyhow, back to business ... you take Euros?image

• I will repeat this for the ones who have joined the thread recently............if its like previous years you might well expect quite a lot of moaning from some of the regulars..........this isn't really personal so don't take up the bait........

there is always a lot of remarks because the competition is open to all but because RW want to bring in new people .those shortlisted are usually much more likely to be new people on the forum than those who have been here for years ..............

so its seems like being a regular on the forums isn't rewarded at all.................a bit like you going to your local pub for years supporting it and then they give out free meals and drinks to newcomers and not the regulars...

this debate always goes on each year and never changes much....so i would remind you all that if it comes up again just don't take it personally.......

and people might ask some interesting questions just to try and know you more and to see if you are the type of character that they might want to follow on the threads............try and be yourself.............image

and DS2.i would love to do LEJOG one year..image

• Haha DS2....looks can be deceiving! image

I would love to do LEJOG, its been a dream of my dads for years but he no longer runs so ive taken it over from him. You will have to start a thread on this. I would love to follow your journey-can note down tips for when I have a go at it myself one year.

RRR, im going to hit start fitness in newcastle at the weekend to get me a pair of these infamous socks! image

Anyone done the national three peaks?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Completely understandable Seren. I think we'd probably all feel a bit aggrieved in that situation.

LEJOG? I thought it was some kind of French fun run until I looked it up. I assume you're running it DS2 and not taking the coward's way out on wheelsimage 

• Thanks for advice Seren. Will definitely keep it in mind when people start throwing the rotten tomatoesimage

Sarah - I haven't done the National 3 Peaks, but I've done the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. (Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-ghent) Did it a couple of years ago and walked it in 10 hours ... but I'd like to go back and run the route at some point. Have you done the National 3 Peaks?

DS2 - Exciting about LEJOG! WOuld love to see a write up of it when you've completed it! 

• RRR - I'm just a groupie.  Hoping some of the fame and fortune will rub off on me.

Hopefully, one of this year's categories/winners will have something in common with my Spring Marathon aims.  I got a lot out of following Craig and Emma last year (in a non-stalkeresque kind of fashion).  

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Thanks for advice Seren. Will definitely keep it in mind when people start throwing the rotten tomatoesimage

Sarah - I haven't done the National 3 Peaks, but I've done the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. (Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-ghent) Did it a couple of years ago and walked it in 10 hours ... but I'd like to go back and run the route at some point. Have you done the National 3 Peaks?

I've watched Twin Peaks. Took me hours but I got through it. No goody bag at the end.

• hehe, have been reading through some of the forums from last years hopefuls, and people seem to ask about marmite a lot.

• Blimey, this is a fast moving thread. Well done to those that have been chosen for the next stage, I can feel the tension in the air! Looking froward to reading all the mission statements.

Don't forget, as Seren and others have said, only set up 1 forum thread to support yourself!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs/Seren nos/RRR - yes I am taking the cowards way out!!! I would love to run it but I don't think 10 days would be possible. 100 miles a day on the bike for 10 consecutive days is daunting enough.

I'm doing it for a charity I've supported for the past few years. A few of us did London 2 Paris last year and it was amazing. I'd forgotten how much I love Paris until I got there.......hence, desperately wanting to go again!!!

I will definitely keep everyone updated with the progress but until then my bikes on a Turbo trainer and I'm not riding outside until I've got my GFA in the bag. Too many risks - crashed last year 8 weeks before my marathon and ended up in plaster - not clever!!!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I like marmite.

I watched Twin peaks Malcs... never understood it!

Thanks Seren and knight rider for your advice re threads.

• Thanks Jimmers83 for the comment.

All this talk of LEJOG brings back memories. I walked it last year for charity with my wife. 14 weeks and numerous arguements (I was the possible cause of many!) later we finished. Possibly the stupidest thing I've ever attepted to do.........but also one of the most rewarding. Walking or biking, I can easily recommend doing it. There was a guy doing it at the same time running it barefoot in 30 days. He put my effort to shame!

I'm happy to see others are struggling to write their 150 words. My mother-in-law arrived from the States last night to stay for 2 weeks......and the first night here she was wondering why I was being anti-sociable sitting alone in the spare room. I think she thought writing this was just an excuse not to see her. I can see a family feud brewing image 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hey KR - well done last year! How did you cope living with the nerves for a whole week? Or were you a picture of calm? 

• @Shady_Ady That's a nice excuse to give your mother in law...

• I watched Twin Peaks and loved it! although scared the pants off me so videoed it and watched it straight from school!

• Ady- sounds like great excuse for the treating the inlaws!!!

Thanks everyone for advice about threads, but getting a bit apprehensive about interrogation...

Marmite- either love it or hate it

Didn't understand Twin Peaks either
  • Didn't realise the forum was such a big aspect of the competition, and can totally understand the frustration of the people who don't get through. So I guess i'll find out just how thick skinned I am or not!!!!!!
  • Loved Twin peaks by the way! Killer Bob scared me a little though
  • Ive never heard of twin peaks but by the sounds of it I might not be able to understand it....had difficulty following inception and 12 monkeys!

Not a big fan of marmite myself

Shady_ady, how did you manage to get the time of work to walk LEJOG (working on the thoery that you work)? How manay miles did you have to do a day? I thought running it would be tough enough, but walking it! My husband drove me mad after three weeks on holiday last year, dont think I would be able to manage 14 weeks. Living in anyones pocket no matter how much you adore or love them is difficult after a couple of weeks!

RRR I walked the yorkshire three peaks last year and did it roughly in about 10 hours aswell. I did it with a group of friends and really enjoyed it, but I was hoping to go back sometime and complete it again a little quicker. My husband only made it half way round so he is wanting to face the challenge again. If you fancy it sometime, just let me know

• Blimey, you go to work for a few hours and the thread goes crazy! image

Famous last words, I'm sure (and please do feel free to throw this post in my face in a week's time lol), but I'm quite looking forward to the grilling... I thinkimage

For the record, I am very firmly anti-marmite, whilst recognising that it does of course have a place in today's society.
  • You will soon understand why there are way more lurkers than posters in these threads/forums - it's a shame but people won't contribute if they're just gonna come under attack for daring to.

I will happily eat those words if this year is strop-free.

I don't get the resentment personally - if you enter an 'open' competition you have as much chance as any other entrant.  If people only use these forums as a way to 'get' something they're usually the sort of people who want to take, take, take and I don't have a lot of respect for them in any walk of life.  The stroppers don't own Runner's World nor the forums - though some of them seem to think they do.  They can happily ignore the voting threads too just as they do the spammers and should bookmark their regular favourites if they're all they want to read.

I enter the advent calendar every year but I don't have a hissy fit if I don't win anything in that either! Entry has never guaranteed a win!

It may keep you sane if you can balance out some of the potential responses along those lines.

Ooooh - I was all tall up there on my soap box for a moment! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well that's told them SB...bravo!

Do I take it you were on the receiving end last year then?

• Lol as long as you enjoyed the view image

My view is that I have nothing to hide and I'm happy to share image you get more than enough of a grilling in my line of work so I guess I should be used to it!

Also, a totally unrelated question, does anyone know if the successful runners are allowed to fund-raise?
  • I actually didn't get much of a hard time at all but some of what went on was just vile and having the met those concerned, at BC, completely un-called for!  You may well experience the collective defensiveness yourselves when it's someone you got on with getting the stick!

I could nearly reach the Christmas goody shelf from up there too - who needs all that cake and chocolate in just a few days anyway - much better to spread it out... LOL

Steve - no idea - sorry - though can't see why not tbh!

Along Ten's lines - my vote can be bought with chocolate, cake, biscuits or sweets (I'm not too fussy)....