ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    A few years ago someone posted a thread with the codes to all the smilies. I can remember a few, I think. imageimageimageimage :-S image
  • Ooh la la see this place is lively as usual – Superman, when are you expecting to be able to start your ‘official’ thread?

As we went through the process of bootcamp and beyond, one of the suggestions I made  to the Asics marketing people about was about trying to continue to engage the ones who didn’t make it (of course we will be doing that by following the official thread!) was that they might want to offer a discounted entry to Manchester (also sponsored by them).

Anyone think that’s a good idea, and might want to avail of it (even retrospectively)?

I’ll post it on the other threads too and see if we can get a bit of momentum behind it.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/Simon_Gardner/French_beret_grey.gif

• Hans C, I had a mini twitter campaign to get Slush Puppy as a after race drink. Still think it's be the best ever. As good as IRN-BRU or Dr Pepper would be, just imagine a blue Slush Puppy after a sub 3:30 marathon!!! 

Think I need to tweet the organisers of Paris so SupermanRuns can have a well deserved one at the end.

• BK Canter - I know they offered a discounted entry to Manchester last yr and it was mentioned to me when I was rejected that they might do it again.

• That's interesting Ruffles - I'm trying to 'encourage' them

• Hans C, thats a great idea! image But aye like you say. I want that 3.29.59! So I'll be super-focused. Have you been stuck on a time for a while? We're picking the best place to get that PB for sure. Glad I'm not the only one then thats shed a tear after as well! I get a huge rush of relief, sense of great achievement and realisation that I've just covered 50 miles on foot! Which usually results in some happy tears! image

It seems they were listening BK. As I think the unlucky people from the voting are being offered a discount for Manchester. I seem to remember that from the phonecall yesterday. Which is fantastic of them.

Andy, thats some idea. If I get that sub 3.30 I'll be after a pint though! 

• Well I've just been offered 10% off Manchester and that was just for entering, so I would expect you bootcampers/ finalists to get a greater discount. 

Ha HA gingermagic My favourite post race drink is a bottle of Sol with a wedge of lime squeezed in the neck image but thats usually after the shower, before shower I'd still love a blue Slush Puppy...

• That's class Andy. Aye thats a good call. Just a cold pint of lager for me, preferably a Peroni.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    For those who missed put don't forget there's the Forum 6 competition that rubs alongside the Asics one. A mentee is matched to a mentor and away you go. I'm assuming it will run again this year - it's proved very successful over previous years. Keep an eye out.
  • Unsure of when the 'official' thread starts? I was kind of expecting to be given it today. Clearly RW have taken good control over the threads this year, eg the one group one thread idea that they have it in hand so at some point it will most probably appear. I will carry on here until I hear! 

Last year I am sure all bootcampers were offered a 50% discount to the Manchester Marathon and the losers in voting were given a pair of trainers. Quizzical smilie face.

Hans C Thanks buddy, was a tough comp again this year but we have found ourselves an excellent new running mate in  Gingermagic who clearly knows his stuff about the liquid refreshment industry. I hope Karen, Elin and David pop up as well as others from bootcamp and any newbies to the forum. The more the merrier with you all around. 

After careful reflection I am not sure about Slush Puppy post race. I have a concern it might reappear and if its the raspberry blue one, jeez that would be one mess! I like The Running Andy's choice of Sol and Gingermagic's bottle of peroni and would be equally happy with either those or a glass of champagne or a mug of sugary tea, but the tea would have to be Yorkshire. I am happy to get the weird flavoured stuff in for you The Running Andy but plain and strong for me.

Just done a nice 5 miles, 9 min 8 min 7 min 8 min 9 min and picked my girls up from their respective nursery/school. Missing the youngest's nativity tomorrow so spending a bit of time with her now to make up for it. Excitement levels will then start to rise for tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting up with the others as I did not really get to see much of them at Bootcamp. Was it the sub 4-30 group you were with Malcs? 

• Hi all

I'm quite new to the RW website and forums but have been following this thread and I think it's great. Congratulations Tim on winning the ASICS competition, I look forward to reading your blog. I have a GFA place in London in April and my aim is to beat my pb which is 3.38. I don't think i'll get under 3.30 as that is quite a lot to take off but I think if I ready your blog then I can try and do the similar training schedule.

Minni - I am interested in the mentee mentor  competition so will look out for that, what section is the forum under?

Katie

• Welcome ktkt great to have you around and join the ride. I hope the blog/thread lives up to expectations. image

As you have seen if you do beat your PB and maybe even get under 3.30, its Slush Puppys all round. 

What are your other PBs in 5k, 10K and HM? 

• Thanks for the cape Superman! and the congrats on the reps both Malcs and Superman.

As Minni says the forum has a comp too.  I was a mentor this year, and managed to even pace Rachel to 4:30:10 in her first marathon!  She was hoping for sub 4:30.. What can I say, I'm not perfect!! She did amazingly well given how hot it was that day!

I'm a fan of the chocolate milk post marathon, and then KFC (guilty pleasure face)...Don't tend to want all that much alcoholic after unless its beer or cider- strange as i'm usually a wine or g&t drinker.

Superman, that sounds like a nice little run,  I might just go and do it since I wrote out my training plan on paper for this month and have lost it and can't figure out what I'm supposed to do today....

Hello ktkt, I'm on GFA at London too!! How cool is that?!?!  What are your other race times like?  8 minutes isn't too much to take off if your mara was spring this year and you've been in training since, however a lot if you've been twiddling ur thumbs for the past 6 months!

• Thank you Superman! I hope I can close to my pb..I look forward to the blog!

My 5km is 21mins, 10km 46 and HM is 1.40 - I can't seem to break the 1.40 mark for the HM, I think I need to get a little faster in the shorter runs really, I don't do too many of them.

Hi Angela - well done, that's very cool! Yes I did Barcelona in March, I've done a few races since and have been good at keeping up the running since, however, I've never followed a training plan before and think that this time I should stick to one. Is there one you can recommend? Perhaps that might help me get a little closer to 3.30!

• Hi all, and HUGE congratulations again Tim! Can't wait to follow your thread all the way to Paris... Gotta say that I won't be following your training tho as sub3:30 is well beyond my ability, but I'm sure I'll pick up tons of tips and advice that'll benefit me along the way!

As an unsuccessful boot camper, I've just had an email offering me 50% off Manchester Marathon entry so I'm sure everyone will be getting the same.  Won't be taking it up sadly as I've got a club entry for VLM; bit of a shame really as it looks like there's going to be quite a bootcamp reunion going on!  As I only live 30 miles from Manchester, I'll be going along to cheer and support however...

Have a fabulous day in London tomorrow Tim on your Asics Store 'trolley dash'! So sorry you're missing your daughter's nativity but it's gotta be worth it... Congratulations again!

• Wow ktkt, If you manage those times without really following a plan, you will easily break all of them including that 3:30 by following a good plan  (shall I plug my online run coaching???)  Seriously, if you keep up with Superman's thread and training plan when he starts it, and adjust the paces according to your times, I think you will be on for sub 3:30 for sure.  I have often found that there is just a bit too much speedwork for me in the sort of plan that Superman is likely to follow, and tend to be very in tune with my body for when its too much, so if that becomes the case I would just cover the same mileage at an easy or steady pace or swap days around to get the speedwork in when more recovered.  I used to follow hal higdon, but now I just make the plan up for myself, since I'm now a fully qualified pt image 

My 5k is 20:53, 10k 44:06, Half: 1:43 something- last one I ran was last march, and mara 3:39- manchester in april.  I'm pretty sure if I did a half in the next few weeks it would be 1:3x something, but I'm even more certain of getting to my marathon target- at the moment I'm training as if I'm going for 3:23...

• Buxton! do both.... I did this year image 

• Many congratulations Tim!!! I am looking forward to following your journey, I will try to learn as much as possible as who knows!!! Maybe one day I will be running a sub 3.30 marathon!!! And this thread will definitely be very interesting and fun image I think I will be aiming for a sub 4 at the Madrid Marathon, which takes place at the end of April.

Now, first challenge of your marathon journey starts tomorrow... Last year I was the first to finish my shopping at the Asics store being the only female in the group imageAnd I promise it was not a competition and I really took my time. But the guys where still undecided, and it was not on the tights -shorts debate!!! Let's see what happens tomorrowimage

Have a wonderful day tomorrow!!!  Congrats again!!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ktkt - you've definitely got a load of time to knock off the marathon. I achieved 3:31 a few times without following a schedule but needed one to finally get under. I think when I did it my shorter times were 46.xx for a 10k and 1:36 for a half. I didn't run 5k then! Once you've broken the elusive 3:30 there's no going back! I mentored 2 years ago and my sub 3:30 hopeful ran 3:23. image
  • Yep, the guys at RW/asics have come good on that discount again.

Thanks all!

• Angela / Minni thank you for your encouragement, I am defintely going to follow a plan and try and follow Superman's training as much as I can too. Also hearing what you both do will help so thank you.

Katie

• Of course I know all about the liquid refreshment industry Tim. That's what 10 years in the RAF does to you! image
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Yes oh super one, it was indeed the heroic sub 4:30 group I ran with. They were a thoroughly nice bunch indeed. 

Craig brought cakes for everyone. I believe this was an honest gesture of good will and not an attempt to nobble the competition - either that or he failed to put enough laxatives in them because nobody complainedimage 

Andrea was great so I'm sure you'll get on really well. 

• Angela KFC was my guilty pleasure for a few marathons. Tower burger and two large chips washed down with a few chilled beers. Oh how lovely!!! Now I have moved to burritos as my wife makes the best ever ones and she has upgraded the drink to champagne, I think more for her than me but I dont care really!!

What start do you go from in the GFA? 

I love having Buxton runny bunny around. You are just awesome. Please make sure you post on my thread, your questions to the candidates were brilliantly thought out and I suspect helped a number of undecided voters to decide!!

Isabel Many thanks for all your support, I loved following you last year. Good luck in your spring marathon training for Madrid. I hope we keep in touch to follow that. And as far as the shopping goes tomorrow, I cannot wait. 

ktkt my times for you, 5K 20.08, 10k 41.47, HM1.34, Mara 3.51 Basing on your 5k time there is speed there and going on what others say, I reckon that there could be more than a few of us breaking the sub 3-30, you being one of them!! 

Gingermagic  I bet there are a few RAF tales which could be told over a few beers! cheeky winkie smilie! 

• I'll definitely be there and posting on your thread all the way to Paris and beyond! No doubt at all you'll totally rinse the sub3:30 category... Have to say that even though sub4 is definitely where I belong time wise, this thread has been my favourite to post in and read so far! Really looking forward to your official Paris Marathon thread SupermanRuns!

• Every time I see your PB's SupermanRuns I can't believe you haven't done sub 3:30 before, so fast on those shorter distances, can see why RW chose you going to be interesting to see how they build your stamina up. And if it makes you even quicker on the short distance or just balances your times out.

• There are many tales Superman! Yes best told with a beer out of earshot of the easily offended!

Totally echo what you've said BRB and Andy. Once Steve or Sam help Tim sort out that last 6 miles he will destroy 3.30! It's going to be a very interesting journey, hope it helps me get my 3.29.59 as well!
  • Peroni is my weapon of choice, although after 56 miles anything amber and fizzy would be an oasis in a desert. Slush puppy, violently blue could be audacious Running Andy! 

Gingermagic: I ran 3:30.15 off ultra training. It was a 12min PB so I was happy for about 5 minutes. Then I did the whole 'if I hadn't stopped to pick up that dropped sachet.........etc etc runner thing.'

My short PB's suggest the holy grail is a strong possibility. Just want to know what I can do!  Funnily enough it's the last few miles that do the damage. Perhaps a beer during the run?????!!!

• Very true Hans! I know what you mean it's that 15 seconds. We all over analyse don't we? I've done the same, previous to my last marathon my PB was 3.57. I trained my nuts off, doing back to back runs with an ultra on the horizon as well. I then ran 3.40.24. A 17 minute PB. Still wasn't completely happy! It seems we're on a similar path.

If you give yourself a good 16 week solid block of marathon training again I would say you'll do it. You've run a marathon before. You know where you're strong and where you're maybe not so strong. Are you fading badly at the end?

Perhaps a pacer holding your beer running progressively quicker for the last 3 miles!
  • Gingermagic It seems Steve nor Sam are needed now. You have nailed all our training. A pacer holding beer (or insert drink of choice)  for the final 3,4,5 or 6 miles. BRILLIANT!! image