Options

Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Options
    Not yet, it's only a matter of time though as I do like to check new gear out.

Speaking of which, I am definitely thinking of getting one of those Camelbacks Oscarr has so that I can go running in the firest (when it dries out a bit).

Oscarr would you please remind me which model it was, and advise whether it would be suitable to a small female?

Just having dinner af work texting with my mate re canal closures that might affect us tomorrow or not!
  • Options

Reiki - the camelbak i have is the Octane 24 - it's a rucksack type with a 3 litre water bladder - it has chest strap and also a waist strap with 2 zip pockets ideal for gels etc.   Great if you want to carry lots of water, gels and extra clothing.  It's very light indeed (apart from the water!!) which means it's OK for both men and women.  However, if you only want to carry the water and want something smaller they do smaller ones with only a chest strap - quite a few people in the lakes had these but thay also needed a waist bag or belt to carry gels etc.  (They even do a waist fitting camelbak but this looks cumbersome to me with the long water tube coming all the way up and over the shoulder and is not a type i would recommend).

I bought mine from Sweatshop and beforehand i went onto the Camelbak web site to check out the options - they do them for all sorts of sports - the Octane 24 is classed as one for runners because it is so light.  I wanted one that could hold everything so i didn't need a belt and chose the 3 litre capacity cos that is the max i would ever carry.

Having run with it a few times now i find that carrying 1 litre of water is fine but 2 litres gets a bit heavy and sloshy so for the lakes marathon i started with 1.5 litres and that worked well - I finished with half of that left because i took drinks at the 4 feeding stations as well.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions then please do ask. 

• Options

Sleepy - can't wait to hear how Ben gets on in London tomorrow.

• Options

Afternoon all

14 drizzly miles in new and adorable waterproof done and dusted. 10:22 avg pace with a average HR of 137 (target = 142 so tickety boo).  Foot strapping stayed in place and hotspot no worse plus ran out of "nose-water" at 11 miles so now breathing much better. 34.52 miles for the week - toot toot : happy days.

Onto the Ben-news - very disappointed husband - he ran 30.24 (exact secondage to be confirmed) which is about a 20 second PB!!!  Can't believe he is being so hard on himself - his leg is now really sore apparently and those not oft heard word ('you were right, I should have... ' in this case paid out to go and see a private practice physio) have been uttered.  I think that's a fantastic result personally and will do my utmost to convince him - ok so he knows he's in better shape than that but it's not the last 10k of the season - he was planning to do the ultra-speedy Leeds Abbey Dash in November anyway (ranked as a minus weighting last year on runBritain if anyone fancies it - I renamed it the Harry Potter Fog Dash last year and it's so flat you feel like you're constantly running down hill) so he gets another shot.

Right - due some quality sofa time in front of the TdF - have a nice Sunday all!

(edited due to some strange text eating gremlin)

• Options

Well done Ben, thats quick, thats really quick.  Hope his leg is not too bad and he is not too hard on himself.

SB, well done on yet another wet Sunday run, when is summer coming I ask ?  I did an easy 5 last night, so good to be out running again.  I might go out later, at work til 4pm though.

FH

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Ben should hang up his boots after a poor 5k effort like that.  Disgraceful!!

Wait.... did you say 10k?  image

• Options

Thanks a million Oscarr, I don't like belts at all os this will be a great solution so I don't have to find my way back to anywhere to pick up water or anything.

Am very used to a rucksack that weighs a ton daily, os I think this could be a solution for training, races, running to work during the Olympics...

SB fab time by Ben, nice run by you today too, you are really building.

I had a very interesting morning indeed, after arranging to meet a friend up at Springfield Park, but knowing the canal had new closures.

After a nice army chap told me the diversion was only about 500 yards and pointed me in a hopeful direction, I set off into a wilderness of warehouses in the continuing deluge, and got completely lost for over a mile.

A this point I saw just one lone soaked bloke who had no idea where the canal was, then a spritely old girl who tried to explain but eventually said *X it, get in the car*, so I did the next part of my run soaking the passenger seat of a very anti-Olympics stranger's car. 

She dropped me off right at the end of Hackney Marshes as well, and I bounded up to Springfield.  

So I only did 8.5 miles, threw in a few hilly loops in a gesture of willingness for Harlow in two weeks' time.

Took heed on the return leg, so I know where to emerge from next time to avoid the diversion entirely too, what a blast though, it was like something out of Little Britain bleedin Lympics and all. 

• Options

Ran 11miles today - furthest I've run without stopping/walking. About 10m mile page. Av HR 144. Trouble is - it feels like really hard work and I'm still some way off where I'm supposed to be for a 4 hr marathon. I'm very tempted to change the target time on MyAsics to 4.30 for the marathon and have a plan that's more achievable.
    Well done to SB and Ben - amazing time for 10k!

• Options
    Sleepy, tell Ben a PB is a PB so put a smile on your face!! Good run for you as well and a good weekly mileage. Not run yet since last Sunday but will go out tomorrow.

FH, been telling lots of folk about last weeks marathon and each time I do I get a great surge of satisfaction about the achievement. - still won't do it again though!!

Reiki. - You sound like a real adventurer and what a great experience this morning, that's certainly one way to meet people !! Sounds like the rucksack camelback is right for you, running to work etc.

AC8 sounds like you need to set a more achievable target - its better to have a very gentle target for your first one then you will have an experience to base the target on for the next one etc.
  • Options

AC8 I totally agree with Oscarr, and you can revise as you go round if you got it wrong.  

On my first marathon I had plucked 4 hours out of the ether and ended up with 4:18, but could have done better with a more conservative strategy even then. 

Until you  do it you have NO idea, well I didn't.  It was a saga, an epic in a day.

Haven't found the Camelbak yet online, went down a few dark alleys, then became distracted by some glute disinhibition chat on Kinetic Revolution, not sure how that happened!

Will get on it! 

• Options
    Choisty, just read the rw reviews for your 5 mile event yesterday and consensus is a superbly organised event so well done, even the sun came out for you as well.
  • Options

Sun! Sun? Where - tell me, tell me - I'm jumping in the car right now.  Guess what?  It's raining here ... again!

Thank you all re Ben - he's still a bit disappointed but he's now on his way to Nijmegan for 2 weeks so that should cheer him up.  He's not marching this year so he's hoping to sneak in a few sessions with the physio who's out there with them.

AC8 - totally agree with the guys - lessen the load and just plan to finish - I reiterate - it's better to be a bit under trained than overtrained.  Don't let yourself get too hung up on the stats of how far and how fast you do your long runs; the important thing is time on your feet. You'll get there - we all have days when it feels hard - in my case I just slow down a bit and keep in mind that every dog has its day.  Every once in a while it all comes together and those days are worth a zillion of those when it's not so good! And remember that a training schedule doesn't guarantee a result - either way.  You may end up running faster or slower - only on the day will you find out and all that matters is that you do it, regardless of how fast at this point.

oscarr - glad you're still basking in your hardcore glow - quite right sir!  Just had my race pack through for Sunday - 50% tarmac, 35% limestone trail and 15% grass - sounds positively civilised after Coniston! Looking forward to it already.  Planning to aim for about 9m/m and just see what happens...

40 mins easy later + a car load of boxes to the new house.  Excited about tomorrow's session: 15 mins easy, 10 mins tempo, 10 minutes fast, 10 mins easy.  Starting to feel like I'm 'training to progress' now.

Happy Monday all

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Went to see the olympic torch passing by this morning.  My son was wearing a crown, a medal and a torch that he had made at school for the event.  He was excited about seeing it, and we had already been watching the live internet feed to see it on its way beforehand.  My dad's cousin was a torchbearer for the 1948 Olympics, he lit the cauldron - though my mum forgets where and can't lay her hands on the photo.

I ran an easy 10km on the treadmill when I got back home, fired up for the Olympics image.   

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Just in case anybody is interested....

Poundland are selling the book "Extreme Running" for, erm... a pound.  Hardback book, cover price 20 quid.  Covers ultras such as MdS, UTMB, Badwater.

• Options

Oscarr, thank you it was amazing...today I'm shattered.  The comments are really appreciated, it makes the work that you put in feel worth while

• Options

Has anyone entered the VIP Asics Great North comp..I want to as Paris was so good!

• Options
    I am considering it Choisty, saw a link earlier, would llove to do GNR as well, missed out in the ballot.
  • Options

Hi Choisty off for a look at that where is it to be found?

Been busy watching the Tour de France as my other exercise is road cycling and mountain biking, my shed is full of bikes but dont do as much as I used to......... Wiggins is just setting off in the time trial. Going to be a brilliant two weeks still in the Tour. I have a camelbak which I use cycling on the trails brilliant bit of kit as bottles tend to fly off the bike othewise.

Congrats to SB for the new house. Mind that back lifting boxes.  28 miles done last week just cruising along as sore knee at the moment.  Got a load of Spanish folk coming over to Bakewell on the 23rd who I am taking running while they are here doing an english course. First punters and getting paid!!! Happy new week to all.

• Options

Hello all

Sorry for not being around. Family and work stuff still dominating! I have run a bit but a mixture of care responsibilities, work and a sore leg have meant a drastically reduced milage since VLM!

Good to see some great running going onimage

• Options

Front page of RW found that competition.........go for it everyone if you have a place in the GNR its worth a shot. image

• Options
    MCS, a place and an iPhone, I have the place, anyone got a phone? I will wait, will try again for the marathon comp later in the year.

Torch coming this way tomorrow, aiming to get a view, if I can get past the crowds!

Fast 3 miles for me tonight, warm up at 10 min/mile then 7.15 and 7.23, will also get out tomorrow for an easy 8 miles. I have another race booked for 22 July, a half that runs from Windsor to Marlow, most of it along the tow path. Looking forward to racing, trying to get higher up the run Britain rankings(SB will understand!) .

FH
  • Options

FH - i've got an ipad but its a bit big to hold to your ear ..!!

• Options

FH I have always fancied the tow path half, but it clashed with Harlow 10.

I have a phone!

• Options
    Guys, you will enjoy the windsor to Marlow half , I did it a couple years ago and it's flat and a good scenic route. No bogs!!
  • Options

Need an iphone, anyone got one???  Will have to buy one off ebay!!!

Nice running FH about my speed this am.

Did a tempo run to work in torrential rain this morning. My OH had done four 8 min miles with sis in law which was impressive for them and came back soaked, so I decided to go four miles quickish  8.15 warm up then 7.15mm being the quickest 7.25,7.43, I managed it with a half mile recovery at the end. 34.20 for 4.46miles felt like hard work and I was wearing Ron Hill trackies and a rain jacket which didn't keep me dry. I find it hard to run quickly on my own. Need some mental toughness and tougher legs too would help.  Thank goodness for a shower here.  Nespresso anyone. Work looking brighter.image
    A wise man turns chances into good fortune.

• Options

Go FH Go Yayyyyy - I'm stuck on another little plateau but I'll get off it eventually and it's got a better score than my last little shelf! image

mcs - whoop whoop - sorry no iphones here either but if work keeps looking up maybe you can sneak an early Christmas pressie to yourself. Too close to my mara so not playing though looks like a fab prize.

Session done - check - happy - check - not as fast as you guys but only just leaving the strength portion of the plan and entering the get faster portion or at least that's what I keep telling myself image

Right back to my boxes...

ps snuffle gone, tickly coughy throat gone, hotspot - still there but not blistered.  All in all - all good!

Oh and do you guys know about this - Bo posted it on facebook:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ktdr7  Looks interesting - will settle down with it later me thinks.

Happy Tuesday all - raining here again!! I'm moving back down south!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sky+ set, thanks SB.  However, no thanks for passing your sniffles and tickly throat on to me - I hate these computer viruses caught on forums.

I ran a 10km hill session on the treadmill today, which I last ran at the end of January.  It mimics a real life run I regularly ran while in China, so I can imagine myself running outside (without the 30-40C heat, or the snakes).

Despite being +14F warmer (yes, it is actually warmer than in January - even though it doesn't feel like it sometimes), my heart rate averaged 7bpm less than in January.  I alter the incline every 0.25 miles, and try to maintain 6mph (10:00 pace).  I haven't yet managed to maintain pace during a section at 6% followed by 8%, but I'm building up to it.

• Options
    SB, thanks for the TV tip, recorder set!

Oscarr, is the up tow / down flow a quick race ?

Just managed to bag a free place in the Portsmouth Costal Marathon ! That will be my last race of 2012 and my year of running. Take a look if you fancy joining me:-

http://www.fitprorob.biz/marathons

Did 7 easy miles today @9 min pace, will aim to get to track session tomorrow, will you there OSCARR ?

MCS, good running fella, you look like your getting quicker?

FH
  • Options

How did you get a free spot then FH?image

• Options
    McS , I emailed the guy that runs the event and asked if he would support my year of running by giving me a free place, in return I have added a link on www.olympicnick.com site and will plug the event on twitter and FBook ! Don't ask, don't get !!

FH