Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Thanks everyone for your comments on training and running a first marathon - much appreciated image
    I got to see the Olympic flame / torch bearer 3x yesterday in Reading - was with the Sweatshop running community. We ran to one vantage point, then another, then another - wasn't impressed by the speed/fitness of the torchbearers on display!image
    Get another chance to view this morning before work. I'm looking forward to my HM with enthusiasm at the moment - the countdown is on image

• NIce one FH I can see you are a great salesman!!!
    Ran down easy this morning did 4.3miles in 37mins nice and easy. Trying to run like a African after watching the programme last night on the training they do with Colum the Irish guy.  Didn't look like he did a lot but encourage them and gave them a couple of pointers, then sat on the settee and watched them win on TV......quite an amazing number of record holders been through his school in Iten though. Worth a watch it was on BBC Four last night 10pm. Thinks its on again Friday night late repeated.

• FH, down tow up race can be quick cos it,s flat but there are a few quirky bits up steps and thro gates but if you get a good start it could be quick - the early section is on narrow paths with only few passing places so get a good start then be patient as there is plenty chance to overtake later. When I did it the day was really hot and lots struggled in last few miles through hot fields but don,t think you will have that problem!!
  • Hi all

Set to record SB, cheers!  I had just set up all my world juniors bits, and my brother arrives shorty so am recording the TdF for him, Stronger, Faster Higher too, then there's er Hollyoaks!

Luckily have 2 teles to do it all on!

Managed a slow 10.25 this morning, right hip is a bit sore but off to Pilates circuit class now, hopefully bruv makes it too, although flight is late.

Still playing with the HRM, it went a bit mental earlier!  Kept on bleeping.  So I went out mega slow and came back faster ignoring the bleeps, it likes to keep me outside 10 min miling to stay at 70%.

Maybe that's a good thing, kind of ironic after I did the First programme for VLM where pace was way up on long runs.

Hey but that didn't work!

Chucking it down again here, have got soaked twice already, although my entire run was in splendid sunshine, so must not moan.

Had an early slide from work so happy bunny!  Did the hoovering and all!

• Grimsthorpe Castle 10k on 27th August has just been cancelled due to the weather.  Bye bye last 10k before the BIG day.  I think they must have a weather witch on board as it's the same venue as my half this weekend and that's what ... 7 weeks away image

Radical departure from the norm today - 50 minutes easy instead of 40.  Felt quite sprightly today.  Think I've finally recovered from the Lakes effort.  Isn't it funny how it's not until you have a good day that you realise that the ones before weren't?

Right - time for a well earned brew and to watch that thingy from last night.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SB - they've cancelled a race nearly two months in the future because of the current weather? image  Seriously?  Am I misunderstanding something, or are they the world's most inept race organisers?  Perhaps they're the same people that call "drought" just before our wettest summer since dinosaurs roamed the UK.

• Oscarr Thanks for your comments - I'm looking forward to cool weather image Will take note of your comments about pacing too. Cheers.

• Ten: http://www.grimsthorpefestival.co.uk/

It was part of this so the club assumes so.  I guess if I get a refund in the next few days that will confirm it!  They may just be the only people in history to be relying on the long range forecast!

We shall see ...

Still not watched the Kenyan thing yet.  Must stop getting distracted!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SB - will you get a full refund?

It's a strange situation.  It was only a few weeks ago that our local water companies were crying that the ground water supplies wouldn't recover before October at the earliest, even though floods were already occuring.  How often is the long range weather forecast correct for anything beyond three to five days?

I started watching the Kenyan program last night.  Very interesting up to the point where I fell asleep image  Good job it's recorded.

I'm still sniffling and have a gravelly throat.  It's not on the chest, though, so I'm going for a ten mile run later this morning.

• Morning all!

Take it easy Ten - I work on that principle too - get well soon ((()))

I should think we'll get a refund - it's so far away that they probably haven't paid out for anything themselves. 

3 x 6 minute efforts for me this morning - done and dusted - felt quite hard work but in a good way.  I was feeling lazy what with not really being a morning person and all so in reality I did 3 ramps starting at 11.2 kph and increasing by 0.2 every minute up to 12.2kph. Job done!  Thought I should do the session on the programme rather than go to club tonight as it looked shorter - save at least a small portion of my energy and legs for the weekend.

• OOOO exciting I'm in the Red Bull Steeplechase!!! image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'm glad I scheduled this morning for my ten mile run.  Glorious sunshine, and not too hot!  I ran steady to "feel" along the same route I did a fortnight ago.  I was a bit slower than previously coming back up the incline -  out in 44:15 (vs 44:06) and back in 46:05 (vs 45:17).

This time I wore my heart rate monitor strap to see my real rate of effort when I got home.  I averaged 146bpm (65-70% max), and was very steady each mile.  I was still within my recovery range at the end of the run, so it's all good!  I even caught up and overtook another runner image.  If only I could do that in races image.

Can anyone explain why I run down a hill into a headwind, then later run back up the same hill into a headwind!!!!????  I know life's a biatch, but that it just taking the ****! image

Hope you get the refund SB.

It's a fight for second place in the steeplechase now Choisty has it sewn up!

• Yayyyy Choisty - am tempted to add loony but it'll probably be a stroll in the hills for you! Plenty of time to get even more kick-ass fit too! image

Go Ten - hope you managed a sprightly 'how do' as you cruised past just to let them know you weren't even trying image. Did you not know that hills are like the staircases at Hogwarts?

Luke - how are you getting on with your training?

• The Steeplechase looks well wow what can I say?!

Luckily entries have closed!

Now pondering how best to get a long run in ahead of Harlow.  Would like to do a 12 but just did 10.25 on Weds and have a slight throaty thing developing I think. Feeling a bit tired, although have today and tomorrow off.

Was planning on Park Run tomorrow so running to work Sunday looks like a plan given less traffic and all. 

Am off to Crystal Palace this afternoon for the GP, also tomorrow.

Total long shot = that I have a spare ticket for tomorrow if any of you would like to join us.  One of my friends is so busy with 2012 meet and greet she's had to contecnt herself with just coming tonight.

Message me if you would like to come, no charge, have paid for the tickets months ago. 

• Brilliant Choisty, I run up there quite a bit you are in for a tough old race and its a knockout competition isn't all the best for that one. Might go and watch some of it as so near to me.

Chucking it down here again and knackered woke up with the birds at 3.30ish!! Ready for bed now. Watching Le Tour those guys are awesome!!!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

RR - perhaps I've passed the cold onto you, which I caught from SB.  People will start avoiding this thread.  Enjoy the Athletics, wish I could join you!

Easy 10k for me today.  I'm now listening to Talk Ultra during my treadmill runs, having caught up with Marathon Talk.  I've got one more hard (tempo) session to do this week, maybe tomorrow or maybe Sunday.

• Ten - OYYYYYYY! That's how rumours start LOL image

Would love to come Reiki but I'm stuck at home as Rascal's just come into season so I can't really put her in kennels just now.  Well I could but it wouldn't be fair - I can just see the canine chaos.  She's even been flirting with the hoover which is about the same size as her!

Take it easy all - yoga for me then a cheeky little session tomorrow: 10 mins Easy, then 6 x (3 minutes tempo, 2 minutes easy) before Sunday - it'e even threatening to stay dry for part of the day whoooooooopy whooooop

• Gosh!  Surely not.

I shall be off to Crystal Palace this afternoon with full survival kit!

Did 45 mins on the bike just now catching up with all these recordings!

My mate's son was in the World Juniors hammer but they only showed track, willn ow need to search Twiter.

What did we used to do?!  

• RR, enjoy the athletics should be fantastic.

I am now in hill training with a bit of endurance thrown in...I am looking forward to this, already booked in to race the train will have to look up a couple of fell races

• Choisty - brilliant - if we've got nothing else on that weekend we might come for a day out and give you a cheer - fair play to them for organising something so novel - it sounds like a brilliant day out.  Should have gotten Ben to enter but he can't always plan that far ahead...

Gonna go set the box to record the athletics - tricky choice when the TdF is on at the same time.

FH/Oscarr - how's the recovery coming on guys?

A couple of the events on my list for early 2013 are already open for entries - can't believe it's nearly the end of the season already - though let's face it there isn't really a fixed season anymore. Think I might enter a few before the BIG day so that I have to keep looking forwards after it and it'll give me a deadline for ending my planned lounging/cake eating.  Just found a 10k in November too which should allow me to use all this mara training to good effect image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SB - do you have sky+ ?  You can record two channels at the same time.  You just can't watch a third channel at the same time.  I believe that the Virgin V+ boxes will even let you record two channels and watch a third.

I've already booked Silverstone and Brighton for next year image  However, I'm still waiting to be able to book some HM's for later this year.

• Ooooh thanks Ten - we have a BT box which I guess will be similar so I'll give it a go as I've not tried recording 2 things at once...

Still not watched the Kenyan thing - am now saving it for tomorrow afternoon when I shall be enjoying some quality sofa time.

Right - more stuff to move ...

• Ten - you don't happen to know roughly how much recorded stuff you can store do you? I'm getting a bit behind and wondering if I need to delete some of the stuff I'm not that bothered about? image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SB - It depends on the size of the hard drive in your box, and whether you record in HD or standard definition.  On my SKY+ HD box it shows a percentage remaining on disk when you look at what recordings you have.  When I go to record a new programme, it tells me how much space it will need.  If it's low on space then I record from the non-HD channels because they take up a lot less space (about a quarter for the same programme), or delete stuff I'm not bothered about.  Most of mine is taken up with kids programmes image  

• I'm feeling good, ran 4.9m in 40 mins on Thursday, a hilly parkrun in 25.5mins and have my long run planned tomorrow. I'm feeling positive about running the Windsor to Marlow HM in under 2 hours next week (asuming its not flooded) and the running training for the marathon feels like its back on track. Funny how once I stopped pressurising myself to do a marathon in 4 hours running has come more easily to me!

• Ah ok Ten thanks - I will press some buttons and get some similar info - it doesn't seem to show it as standard!

Reiki - Hope you didn't get too wet and were cosily hidden in the depths of a stand - that looked like a decent downpour at the end!  My fave bit was the steeplechase - I really must get round to having a go at that one day!

AC8 - know what you mean - I always have my best runs when I just relax and go out with a 'just enjoy it and see what happens' attitude!  I reckon you could happily go sub2 if conditions are on your side.  I run 1:40 somethings when I'm not playing smiley-races and we seem to be of a similar standard.  If you don't - don't worry about it - halfs are funny creatures - and remember the main goal is to be fit enough to enjoy your mara!

Looking forward to mine tomorrow - forecast is dry, odd spell of sunshine and 15 - 18 degrees - potential to be a lovely run!

• Sleepy Thanks for your comments. I'm fine in running hard for up to 10k - reckon I could do in 51- 52mins at the moment. I've just had one half marathon experience, I wasn't as fit then, tried to run hard and after 12-13k I seriously ran out of gas. I've purchased a collection of gels, chews and have some energy drinks. I plan to try to run about 20k tomorrow and will give the gels and some jelly chew things a go. I'm not sure if I'll run out of gas when pushing it or if my fitness levels will now let me go hard for 20k - given sufficient intake of energy etc. Its an interesting experiment to see what happens - a vogage of personal discovery image
    Its all good practice for a HM next week and will help to prepare me psychologically for a marathon too - assuming I get comfortable with a HM.
    My parkrun today was 3 hours drive from my regular run - up in Leigh - Pennington Flash. Its remarkable just how friendly the running community are. However you're running, its comforting that people around you, whilst caring about themselves also wish fellow runners well and are happy to chat/offer assistance. *feeling happy*

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

AC8 - sounds like you're having fun.  Good luck with next week's HM.

I ran my tempo run this morning.  I ditched the heart rate monitor because heart rate was pretty irrelevant -  I just wanted to complete the session without slowing.  Warm up mile at 10:30 pace, then four miles at 8:13 pace followed by a final mile at 10:30 pace to ease down.  Just about right for me - I doubt I could have gone much further or faster for the tempo.  I'm getting closer to the 8mm pace, where I want to be for 10km by the end of the year.

My total mileage for the week was 41 miles.  Two weeks to go for my 10k race - getting nervously excited now.  

• Hi guys - i'm over in pembrokeshire (Broadhaven) visiting my son for a week - the running here is very, very hilly but great scenery - just about go for slow 10 miler which will make 30 this week - pleased about that cos after a week's rest after Lakeland marathon i'm back onto good base mileage - recovery has been different this time with the legs feeling ok (prob cos i went so slow in marathon) but general fatigue is greater (cos of the extreme nature of the marathon)

Have decided to do Abingdon in October and give Kielder a miss.  So,my next target is fast time at end Oct.  Need to decide how i train for it now.

Choisty - well done for getting into steeplechsae - sounds a great run and i saw the photo in RW mag of one of the peaks.

Olympics not far away now !!!!

• Hi all,

SB training has been going well. I've just been out for a 13 mile run. Went out at 8 min mile pace and did the final 4 miles at 7 min miles. Will have to rethink that in the next few weeks tho when the mileage starts to spike. Feeling ok although this weeks mileage has been pretty low due to a gruelling game of squash leaving me with a very tight calf.

How's everyone else getting on?

Nice 1 Choisty. Sounds like a cracker.

Cheers

Luke