Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Oooooh oscarr - sounds lovely!  Hope you're getting some sunshine too!  Kielder with me next year then?

Luke - know what you mean! That's pretty quick running - what does your programme peak at?  I think mine's just under 40mpw.  That worried me at first but then I saw something about a chap (I think over on the USA site) who runs 3:30s on around 36mpw so now I'm pretty relaxed about it.

I'm so impressed with the Grimsthorpe Half that it's gone straight in at No 1 favourite ever half marathon: traffic free, the trails were lovely, the grass sections muddy but perfectly runnable, gently undulating all the way round, stunning views in every direction, lots of banter, chat & chivalry, really nice running vest at the finish - might even have sneaked into top 10 ladies with an ave. time. (1:55 ish).  Lead lady was an Olympian - looking very smart in her GM tracksuit - not sure who she was but she was suitably tiny - the kit is actually ok close up - looked much better than it does in the pictures.

Just time to watch the Tour b4 going out for another half hour to top up my miles so that I've done more than last week! (35.90 this week)

• Programme peaks at 60 but dont think I will push that far. Think I will hold around 50 miles or might get injured. Think that will b enough.
  • Hi all

The athletics, well, I am exhausted!

We had fab seats on the home straight, a bit too near the front yesterday for wind and rain effect, but had an awesome time, so many highlights, especially Perri and Christine O in driving rain.

It was wall to wall, missed Phillips in the TJ, getting worried now!

Got a fab photo If Barbara Parker in the steeplechase SB!

And my Run Britain has come down to 16.7 from 17.2 and all I've done is a few Park Runs.

Managed 25:03 at Mile End on Saturday puddle dodging required, and was taken out by a bloke with an iPod changing direction suddenly.

Harlow looms hope I can get round easily enough, the HRM is proving very interesting, still reading the book but might give the system a go for 3 months and see.
  • Luke - that would seem sensible but don't limit yourself - maybe see how you feel the week before the peak and if all is well give it a go? You seem fit enough to be able to cope with that sort of mileage and it could make all the difference...

Whoop whoop Reiki - progress is a lovely feeling isn't it? Where do we all stand on the iPod issue?  Me - I think it's a shame that people feel the need to wear them in races and agree that they shouldn't be allowed.  Don't get me wrong - I love music but there's a time and place to be unaware of what's going on around you...

Up and at 'em folks - 2 "races" for me this week - Trail 10k on Wednesday evening and parkrun next weekend followed by a 15 miler on Sunday.  Just my usual 40 easy today.  My legs are feeling ok - I'm a little bit freaked out by this new found ability to do half marathons and then just carry on the next day.  It can only be a good thing!  Now we have to play the waiting for results game...

• Sleepy, very impressed with how your training is going. In your races are you still holding back or giving it all now? My marathon schedules have peaked at low 40's which for me feels about right although this summer I mat try and sneak it up to high 40's while I'm not looking! Remind me when your langdale race is please. Yes, think I will try and defer kielder to next year.

We had lovely weather here sat and Sunday but now the wind and rain is back, oh well there you go.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Easy six miles for me this morning.

Good luck with the races SB.

I only wear my mp3 player during runs on my treadmill, which could be too boring otherwise.  I never wear them on outdoor runs.  I wonder if people who listen to music while running outside then chill out by listening to "the sounds of nature" albums when they get back home image

I watched the rest of the athletics last night.  I was thinking what an interesting track steeplechase it would make if they made the last person drop out at the end of every lap, with the final two in a head-to-head in the final lap (i.e based on Choisty's upcoming trail steeplechase).  What tactics would athletes use then? Certainly no hanging off the back until the end of the race.  Does such a competition exist?

• Morning folks busy weekend here building a shed, fitting bathroom lights, mirrors up owt I will do it!!! Pulling a shed down tonight!
    Went out road cycling yesterday and had a stiff hilly ride out, felt like hard work riding with a 23 year old who killed me on the hills through Chatsworth and Beeley......but it was windy so no rain which was a pleasant change. Raining again this morning though so got wet again!!! Probably go out for a lunchtime plod......felt abit under the weather with a sore throat and ear ache last few days so not run since last Thursday. Felt flat and tired so taking it easy then got to get back on the GNR training schedule as only 63 days to go. Where has the year gone, waiting for summer I think.

• Hey all

oscarr - I'm still definitely 'relaxed-racing' - my legs are completely fine today - it's very bizarre but brilliant at the same time.  It means a lot that you think I'm coming along ok, especially with your double figure marathon finishes. Langdale is 22 September! 10 weeks and counting image Raining here again too!

Ten - that would be fab to watch wouldn't it - I'm a bit bored of defensive racing - the TdF is now in that state too but I guess it's inevitable as it is. Wiggo is such a nice chap though that I find it hard to fault him!

mcs - no way! - it has flown hasn't it.  I ran most of the second half yesterday with a really nice chap who's also doing the GNR and aiming for about 1:45.  Came across this and thought of you: http://peaktrailrunner.freehostia.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=21&Itemid=44  Bet you've pretty much done all of these already haven't you?  I think we might use them as a basis for some days out if we ever get any better weather that allows a bit of forward planning!

I've just discovered how to set my watch by pace instead of HR so I'm gonna start playing with that.  I know that my long run HR equates to paces between 9 and 10:20 min miles so I'm gonna try running at 9:45 - 10:30 on Sunday which should be about right as the miles go up (that is if I'm right in thinking that slow means MP + 1 min ish).  Given that I'm happy to attempt Langdale at 10 min miles some of the run will be by default at MP.  I'll try and be a bit more structured once I've had a play... image

• Its a good site that with as you say SB plenty of routes around where I live here. Just been out in the warm rain and did three miles back for lunch......rice cakes with cottage cheese on and a cup of tea, very boring but okay. Had a very large roast lunch yesterday so need to compensate.image

• I like Ten's idea a lot!

Otherwise everything is getting too much like track cycling.

According to my brother the Tour may outlaw the teams' use of radio links to relay tactics.

There are pluses and minuses.

I'm a foe of the iPod in races because of the obliviousness factor.

Then again I do know people who insist they need the cadence or the lift, it's to do with whether you are into running as a whole even spiritual practice, or want to take your mind off the pain.

Disassociation happens already through endorphins, exhaustion, caffeine etc, I don't want to miss a thing, including the blasts of roadside banditry we may be treated to.

I do use am iPod in the pool for aqua jogging though.

SB your recovery is incredible, I'm going to di a few 400s on the treadie now before a session with teens in which I only do a few drills really and shout a lot.

Hoping to be able to run to work Weds then take it easy til Harlow on Sunday.
  • Sleepy, what has impressed me is your patience. You really have upped the mileage ans sessions extremely gradually - the only thing I'm not sure about is the lack of high tempo stuff in your build up, I know you may do short tempo sessions of 3 miles ish but wonder if the lack of hard run ten k or half will still leave your legs strong enough for the marathon - guess its the classic balance to find between hard training risking fatigue and easier training and build up races leaving you as fresh as possible. The shorter distance elite runners do hard races in their build up but marathoners are very careful to leave a big gap before their target race.
  • Evening all!

Reiki - thanks - I definitely ran faster than I would have if out by myself but the fact that I'm so sprightly today may mean I undercooked it - despite a complete lack of drive to go any faster upto 12 miles I still managed to outsprint the chap next to me at the finish - ooops

oscarr - I know what you mean - it does make me wonder.  I have a fast 10k in August (York) at which I will push myself as it's flat and on road (just for a change image).  I'm still conscious though that during my last marathon campaign I didn't race at all - partly because then I was living in the Cairngorms and everything was miles away and partly because I didn't belong to a club then and didn't really know what was happening and where.  I have a tendency to race (in target races) at a ridiculously high heart rate so I worry that if I let myself get stuck in I will do my usual and then be back to walking up the stairs like a crab and be unable to complete the following week's training.

Hopefully with there being no pb pressure in Langdale I can take the risk of not doing enough - I do have some faster sessions coming up though (1,2 & 3 minute efforts + longer tempo sessions).  I might feel differently if I had a decent shot at sub 3:45 but after Coniston I'm resigned to that not happening! 

Only time will tell I guess. I definitely feel like I'm a stronger runner now than I've ever been even if I'm not necessarily at my fastest yet (roll on post mara pbs - yippy yipeee). 

I've been scouting other schedules to reassure myself and have seen a few that go up to no more than a 2 hour longest run which I think would freak me out totally.  My longest will be 30k but in Derbyshire so hopefully hillyish to boot and I'm expecting that to take 3h 10 +.  I'm not so sure about all this new fangled thinking about the consequences of 2 hour runs - I feel a need to know I can do the time on my feet.  I remember the 22 miler in my last campaign taking a whole lot longer than I thought it would!  I'm beginning to notice a distinct split in a lot of programmes between strength building for the first half then speed work in the latter - anyone spotted this or am I imagining it?

Hey ho - if in doubt I shall rely heavily on the race director's advice - not to worry about my time! Bring on that 1 in 3 hill - I shall be getting to the top of it (twice) if I have to crawl! image

• SB I am very impressed with your overall approach, and believe that speed will come for you. 

I think I do far too many races, and Oscarr in marathon buildup I have typically done 4 half maras and at least 2 x 20 milers.  I know a certain Sam thought I was leaving it all on the road, especially at Reading where I go for a PB!

Next year I am strongly considering cutting right back and doing higher volume at lower HR.

One thing I have done [apart from this year when I had the bone out in fot issue in the crucial week], is to go to 24 miles in the anticipated marathon time [4 hours]. I always find that easy, and the 3 hour 20s too, although this year I think I went too hard at Finchley to get that magic number. 

I am thinking that the HR polarities idea is worth a punt to get more contrast in efforts.

Yesterday I was able to do 8 x 400m reps @ 12.5Kph [yep, treaddie, but Team USA are in town and our track is closed!], it wasn't hard at all, so I must be getting good recovery despite the dreaded shifts at work.

• Sleepy, a lot of the schedules have strength training in the early weeks along with base miles (and a lot of folk do xcountry in the winter for strength) then gradually add in speed work along side upping the miles. If you are feeling stronger then why not consider going flat out in the August 10k which is short enough to not do any damage.

SB/reiki - I remember well the long run advice from sam, one was the value of two and half hour runs for building endurance cos the body starts to burn fat for energy having exhausted muscle glycogen at about two hours. The other was not to go over 20 miles, only do hard miles at the end of long runs occasionally and use a gradual taper up over the weeks with rest weeks included. Having said all this, the idea of a 24 miler in your target time does intrigue me.

Right, off for another hill run in the pembrokeshire coastal hills then a boat ride to the bird sanctuary on Skomer island.
  • Morning!!! image

60 minutes easy done for me. Was feeling lazy to start with but once I got past 30 minutes I was much happier (don't ya love the effect running has!).  Legs are fine - apart from the mental lethargy no sign of the DA-da-Da-DAAAA DOMS

Reiki - Good sesh - 12.5 is a nice speed!!! You could always just pop some stars and stripes on and blend in...

oscarr - just for you I might even try a little harder at tomorrow night's trail 10k and you're right I will try my bestest in August - even though the idea of ultras is starting to grow on me - am definitely at my happiest just cruising along. I guess if you can do 20 miles in under 3 hours in your comfy zone, the advice for going over 20 would be different? 22 was quite enough for me last time - and I walked probably a mile of that!

Have a lovely day all - back to the boxes I go... image

• Sleepy - you are right, for a 3hr marathoner then going over is not a problem cos they would do 22 in around 3hrs at a gentle pace for them and no point in getting more than 3hrs time on your feet. But for a 4Hr marathoner doing a lsr at about 10mpm doing 21miles gives you 3.5hrs time on your feet which is probably the most you want to do in training so 3.5 hrs is prob a good target for your longest run. Sam said only do one or two of these at the peak period.

Just done hilly 8 mile MP run at exactly 9mpm pace. Had to leg it down the last 2 miles though -whichever way you go from here it's uphill for 2 miles so a good downhill finish. Too foggy for boat trip so will start reading Born to Run.

dog sitting at moment as well so have to take him for his constitutional, plus a stop at the beach coffee shop for my Americano!!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sound like you're having fun Oscarr.

SB - I've pretty much made up my mind to go longer than 20 miles in my next marathon build-up, but I'll do it at least five weeks out from the race.

RR - my intervals are all done on the treadmill too.  The advantage is that once the speed is set I don't have to keep looking at a watch to be maintaining pace.  This morning I started with a mile at 10:30 pace, followed by a mile of strides to loosen-up.  Then I did six reps of half-mile in 3:54 (7.7mph) with 0.25 mile recoveries in 2:37 (5.7mph), followed by a mile at 10:30 pace.  7.25 miles altogether.

As usual I let my brain talk me out of doing my final rep, but then did it anyway image

Stupid brain.

• Ten - I reckon that's a good approach for your last long run - I've come to the conclusion that you can separate your long run from your weekly mileage when it comes to tapering so in my next campaign I will do longest lsr about 4 or 5 weeks out but maintain high volume in weeks up to 3 weeks out then taper for 3. Think that makes sense. This is cos I need more recovery time to be fresh for race whereas a younger person may need less time.

Another adjustment I will make is to lower the speed work in favour of longer tempo runs and longer midweek MP runs - it's what suits the individual really.
  • How do you guys remember your interval sessions? I have an older garmin so have to remember them and counting them in my head goes awry sometime. Guess I could write them on my hand......great training going on SB et al......keep at it. I am ticking over.....image

• Booooo - my half didn't have a UKA license so it doesn't go on my runBritain list! I doth protest!!! Still - happy to notch it up as a training sesh - I did 1:54:44 apparently so second fastest of the year. Shame though - I quite like having all my results stored in one place! Nevermind!

Ten - nice brain-over ride!  Good on ya!

mcs - I either do my efforts on a treader or I can set my watch to do say 1 minute in one HR zone, then 2 or 3 minutes in a lower one and it will keep repeating until I reach whatever time means I've done 10 (or however many) reps.  I haven't yet found a way to make it tell me when I've finished so I have to work it out and remember to stop!

Done 2 trips to the new house today and dismantled, moved and rebuilt a bed frame that we'd bought off the people who had been renting the place before we bought it.  Think I deserve some ice cream! I've lost 2kg in the last fortnight so I get to eat some more la-la-lalalalalalala image

Thanks for the support everyone - it makes it so much more fun when I get to report in!  No chance of me skipping a session without a very good reason - I'd feel like I'd let not only myself but you guys down! So far so good though - looking forward to tomorrow night - the bit of rain tha'st due should make the mud nice and squidgy.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Six miles recovery run today.  Steady 10:30 pace on flat treadmill, heart rate below 65%, listening to Talk Ultra.

SB - it really is a shame that so many races are not recognised for runbritain.

Not too long now before the wife and daughter return home.  I'm looking forward to being able to get outside for more runs.  Perhaps I might even get to try a park run.

• 8 miles of intervals as I missed yesterdays run due to work so had to get out in the sunshine and enjoy though a bit windy. Made a few miles with a 7 as the first number so happy with that.

Keep at it SB soon be race day!!!

• Sorry for the lack of posts, but been v busy...did I miss much? Had a 4 day cold so feel a bit down, but did manage to run up an alp...legs now ache when I walk, but not when I run, odd. Seen Olympic torch and my lad got a silver in his first gymnastic comp...Wife now at the Olympic village looking after the Albanians! Strange week all in all
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293

BBC1 @ 8pm, the proof or lack of it re Sports Products

Been really busy over the last week with work, will try and catch up later!

Take care.

FH
  • /members/images/614617/Gallery/feet.jpg

Guess it was a bit muddy last night LOL.  Managed to avoid the monsoon style thunder and lightning though to romp home in just under 54 minutes ish.  Fab course - kept waiting for the hill that never really happened (turned out just to be a long drag) so that was a pleasant surprise as was my ability to pick my knees up a bit as I imagined oscarr telling me to stop loitering.  better get back to supervising the removals guys ... catch up later!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Erm..... nice feet SB image   Was that a 10k race or a club run?

FH - that should be an interesting programme.  There have been a couple of others recently about how the food industry makes frankly fraudulent claims for their products being "healthy".

Did anybody watch the programme about Victoria Pendleton last night?  If not, then I recommend checking it out on BBC iPlayer.  I found it a rivetting documentary.  Really showed how vulnerable she is in spite of being an excellent athlete.

I was able to run outside today and did an enjoyable 8m progression run.  I planned 4m @ 9:30 pace (38 mins) and 4m @ 8:30 pace (34 mins) and my actual times were 38:08 and 33:21.  It's harder on the return due to a long gradual incline (avg. 2% over a couple of miles), so I'm very happy with my pacing.

• Morning !

It was a trail 10k Ten (again didn't have a UKA licence - I'm such a rebel!!!.  I could've been slightly quicker if not for long stretches of being stuck in a crocodile on very narrow paths but I was still 9th lady so who cares! whoop whoop

Am very pleased to report Emma C has just gotten a 10k pb - hopefully she'll pop up and tell us about it.

Not seen any tv for last couple of days - not much more to move and then hopefully can catch up properly! Skipped my run yesterday too - bad me - but only 30 mins easy so will do it today instead!

Toodle pip for now ..

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good time for the trail 10k SB, and well done on 9th place too!  

Six miles easy for me this morning.  One tempo session remaining for tomorrow or Sunday, depending on how I feel. 

• Tres terrible! Just magnified this page on my new toy iPad and got an enlarged closeup of SB's feet - aaaaaahh!!!!

Went to club night at the track this Wednesday for the first time in many months - it just shows what missing some hard work on intervals does cos I felt pretty exhausted and a bit stiff yesterday - reckon a weekly session is needed to perk the speed up a bit for upcoming 10k then half.

Just about fixed my Abingdon schedule for this summer.
  • Just under 36 hours for me and my 2nd ever half marathon. *hoping that the puddles en-route will have dried up by the time I get there*.
    This week - a 50 minute at HM pace on Monday evening, yesterday 5m in 42mins - about HM pace too. I will jog around the parkrun tomorrow with my 4 year old son pushing my baby in a pram and then get stuck in on Sunday morning image