Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Hi all

Had acupuncture on my left side (ITB and knee down to second from baby toe) on Wednesday and it was amazing, can't wait to get the other side going, hip especially is crying out gig a zing of chi.

We had the torch relay at work yesterday and I was all round thd course with our cadets who did us proud. I got a nice commemorative pin and get to keep my high viz waistcoat that says Team 2012 on it.

At Heathrow now way too early for Belfast flight but figured I'd better get out of East London early or really suffer on the tube, got up at 4:50, and even then the heating was on on the Picadilly line.

Now officially beyond excitement for the games!

Did a mini tempo in the local park on Weds and ran to and from the acupuncture so did 8 miles, two at 8ish.

Sk I think I'll rest until Sunday now rather than do the 5 miler tonight or the Park Run tomorrow, my brother does the lot but I am a delicate creature.

Meeting some people af PR though, will be back in time to watch Cav!!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Two days of no running to avoid a chest infection.  I'll probably do a few miles later today with some strides, just to get the legs moving.  Fingers crossed I make it to the start line on Sunday!  Looks like the weather is due to cool down just in time for the race.  Of course, with my usual luck it will be raining throughout image

SB - many thanks for your tip a while ago.  Did it help with my running speed?  Endurance? Lactate threshold?  Nah... none of them.  But the bathroom looks like I've been cleaning it every day for the last three months - crisis averted image

RR - I'll be at Heathrow tomorrow to pick up the wife and daughter - yippee!  Cannot wait to see them again.

This cough is officially getting on my nerves now image

• Whoop whoop for me - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Using the power of my "in-head oscarr" I took 3 seconds off my 5k PB (now 23:32) on what hopefully runBritain will weight as not the easiest of nights (Thanks oscarr - you're  a very good imaginary coach you know!) It was the same nasty 4 lap beastie I di in  May and yes Ben caught me on my third lap (again - git!! LOL).  He was a bit slower (15:15) but as he's been away that was to be expected - at least the rest has done his calf a bit of good so it seems.  Everyone else was typically 6 or 7 seconds slower than usual apparently so hopefully when it'll get me a new handicap when they update it!

Ten - your ladies will be impressed when they get back - or think you've been using someone else's bathroom whilst they've been away image

RR - glad the pins worked - I love acupuncture - it feels amazing when they do that flicky pingy thing doesn't it? image

Gardening duties today for me - then 20 minutes easy later (as I did 8 instead of 6 miles yesterday - yes I got a bit confused down a new bridleway) then 8k tomorrow and 16miles on Sunday. 

Hope to back here to get on the computer early next week.  Have an excellent weekend all image

• SB that's great 5k running, well done. Hopefully you will now feel the benefit in your legs after a recovery run and your long run Sunday should feel good. The time was very good as its not easy to get into race mode on a warm midweek evening.

Ten, great news that you will have your family reunion soon, enjoy.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SB - Hah image When she sees the oven, she'll be convinced I've been feeding my son takeaways only too! Of course, I'm motivated by the thought that I will never ever clean ever again ever image

Thanks Oscarr.  I'm happy that the time has arrived, coinciding with the start of the Olympics and my race on Sunday!  

• SB I had electro as well - mega zing zing.

Good luck Ten today, and anyone else who is racing like me!  Well I'm not I'm just running through like he says in the HRM book! 

Uphill from 9 miles with steep uphill from 12.5 to the finish I hear. 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I had an emotional reunion with my wife and daughter yesterday.  The little 'un ran the length of the arrivals hall and squeezed so tight I could barely breathe.  At least that's my excuse for choking on my words.  The effects of jet lag meant that I was woken this morning by the nipper at 4:00am and she was wide awake and ready for food at 5:00am.  At least I wasn't going to be late for my race image.

The weather was kind to me for once and the race was underway at 11:00am.  Although it was sunny and occasionally hot, it wasn't overbearing with a decent breeze.  I set out to run by feel, but hoping to be somewhere around 8:20 per mile pace based on recent training runs.  I didn't even notice the first couple of kilometre markers!  This section was mainly uphill but I was pleasantly surprised to see my garmin register 7:46 for the first mile.  I passed the 3km marker in 15:25 and knew that I would now get some respite from the incline.  My splits for the next 3km were 4:51, 4:53 and 4:53.  A long, fairly steep downhill followed and I clocked up my fastest kilometre in 4:40 before hitting a series of undulations.  I kept reminding myself that every up also had a down and pushed on.

I wasn't expecting to be on for a sub-50:00 in this race and have another (flat!) 10K booked in another five weeks to shoot for that.  However, I passed 8km in exactly 40:00 and then passed 9km exactly 5 minutes later.... game on!  Shame about the incline...image  but I wanted this now, so I tried my best to keep my pace up.

I rounded the final corner and could see the finish line was close with 49:30 on my watch.  I sprinted (in my mind, at least) and gurned my way to the finish image.  My garmin stopwatch showed 49:50.  I completely missed the official time clock, so I have to wait for the results.  Hopefully it took me less than ten seconds to cross the start line after the gun (touch and go, I think).  Nevertheless, my unofficial time is 49:50 - so I have achieved my target time for 10km with five months to spare!

I am over-the-moon with that result on a fairly challenging course image.  It exceeded my expectations of what I was capable of, and puts me well on course for a possible four hour marathon next year.

A really enjoyable race!  It was worth the extreme coughing fit at the end (I didn't cough at any time during the race).

I nearly forgot to say, it was my PB by five minutes, or as I prefer to say - my PB by one kilometre!!!!

• Awesome running Ten!

:I was caught out by gun to chip today, but had a really fab fun race, the hardest half I have ever done, hilly and very windy, with some driving rain through the decent downhill sweep that lasted for over a mile around 10ish.

Finished strong, with two of my fastest 3 miles being the last two, and acupunctured ITB knee barely a squeak!  Right hip is a little niggly now, but it hasn't been acupunctured yet!

Managed : 1:59:52 in the official results and shall not rant nor quibble as I set out to do 2 hours.

Am so pleased with how I took on those hills and came through from 7ish.

When I lived over here I didn't run, gosh it's so tempting to move back.  

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Reiki, and well done with the sub-2:00!

A rest day for me today.  I'm busy with a week of contract work (hooray!), but will get up early tomorrow for a recovery run.

• Well done Ten gret running that and well

Done on a 1 km pb. Haha. Topped off a great weekend for you.

Well done reiki great running.

What's next?
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Luke.

Early morning run for me today (and all this week while I am on on-site contract work).  Five miles recovery pace.

My next scheduled race is another 10km at the start of September, though I'm hoping I might get to go to a parkrun some time soon.  I have never done a 5K race, so it will be a guaranteed PB image

• I might squeeze in a ParkRun during the Olympics, if not will be doing the Pride 10K in September ahead of the PSUK 10 mile champs mid month.

Usually do the Hackney Marshes half but it's later this year and falls ; days before PSUK.

I might have a go at the HRM 12 week programme and that means ideally no racing until the end of the 12 weeks.
  • Ten and Rieki - great racing, well done.  Ten, it must be great to have your family back as one unit now.

I was an absolute PLONKER on Sunday - went out to do a slow 14 miler at 10mpm, picked a new route, took one wrong turn, got lost, instead of retracing steps did the "manthing" and tried to loop back home, ended up doing 19 miles!!!  Did it at 9:51 overall with last mile at 9:30.  Still a plonker though !!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Oscarr - yeah it's wonderful to be reunited.

If you recover well from the 19 mile run, perhaps you can rejig your schedule to include some extra 20+ milers and really nail the marathon?  Just a thought.

Six mile recovery run this morning.  Still can't shake this damn cough!!!  I think the air conditioning in my client's offices is not helping.

Still no sign of official results from the 10k race last weekend image 

• Ten - yes, I have redone the Sunday schedule to include last Sundays 19 miler and spread out the others to make it a better plan - this means a total of 4 long runs at 19 or more miles with 2 and 3 weeks in between. Recovery from Sunday has been good and I am doing a 10k race tonight.
  • Oscarr, thats was a long run !  Glad you are back after those extra 5 miles!.  All the best for Yatley tonight, let me know how you get on.  I did try and enter it after I spoke to you and forgot and then it was too late.

I am doing the Beale Park 10k in a couple of weeks, I am pacing my Sister for a new PB, need to get her to go SUB 59 mins.  I then have Race The Train on the Saturday and The Burnham Beeches Half on the Sunday, mad or what!!

great running Ten, well done.

FH

• Yateley 10k last night was good, did it in 48:30 which I was pleased with, especially after my exploits at the weekend. My target was to get within what the RW Ultimate plans quote as early 10k targets for the 3:45 & 4:00 marathon schedules which is 46 & 50 mins so 48:30 is well within that range.

Enjoying the Olympics.
  • Coooooooeeeeee - I'm back! Hurrah for BT - back up and running in record time!

Wow - what a week I've missed - cracking all round by the sounds of it. Well done folks (even you crazy oscarr  - you can't complain if you can rattle out a 19 miler - am jealous)

To recap mine for you:

Sunday's 16 was glorious - 9:49 avg and loved it all the way. Certainly didn't feel as if I was running sub 10 min miles.  Ran out of water though at about 15.75 so I  have to take more next time.

Mon - easy recovery - usual 40 minuter.

Tues - did my 5 x 2400m fit test thingy and got my best results so far (whoop whoop)

Wed - all went horribly wrong - 3 miles into my 7.5 mile easy run got bitten by a lunatic dog.  It broke the skin enough to warrant a tetanus and antibiotics but not deeply enough to damage me so that I can't run. Thank goodnesses.  So am currently sat here waiting for the police peoples to arrive so I can report it.  I feel bad about reporting it as the monster-pig belonged to a little, old, very slow moving man (who was hopeless to help me) but at the end of the day I (and every other potential victim) has every right to run in safety along the right of way that passes his house I guess. So even if I don't want to press charges, I do want someone to go and have a stern word.

/members/images/614617/Gallery/dog_bite.jpg

Went out and did a wary 8 today, 4 of which were off road and restored my love of country tracks and paths. So ner evil dog - you won't beat me!

It's the York 10k on Sunday - am very intrigued to see how I'm going to get on.  It's one of the very few races that I'll have done more than once (for family spectating reasons).  I ran 48:27 last year (with a 24:23 5k basis) - I'm aiming for 48:00 dead or better this year.  I shall make sure to pack my sat-oscarr in my kit bag!!

• SB, looks like he had two bites at you looking at the photo - don't blame you for reporting it cos the next person the dog goes for may not be so lucky, and good for you to go straight out again running. Good luck on Sunday and let us know how you get on.
  • Oh SB what a nightmare. I ran past a nasty dog on tuesday but lucky it was in a cage. Well done for reporting it. What if it was a small child going past.

7 mile tempo run tonight managed 6:55 minute mile average. Very happy with that.

18 mile training run on Saturday. Not so happy about that.

Wish me luck.
  • Luke, I've come to realise that one of the keys to marathon training is to change the mindset around so that the long run becomes the highlight of the week and that the midweek sessions are in support of it cos it's endurance that's the most important thing with speed coming next. Hope you really enjoy Saturdays run.
  • Thanks Oscarr. I am looking forward to it really. It's the challenge Ive been working towards. Ive done 15 miles comfortably with a negative split do hoping for the same again.

Your right though must have positive thoughts! OddBall from Kelly's Heroes wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Hey Luke - 6:55 wowsers - very jealous! What is it about the long runs you don't enjoy?  Do you get a bit bored or is it that they get uncomfortable due to pace over time?

Bitey dog is to be tied up from now on - the police folk were very good - they went straight round to see him (I did warn them there was no obvious way to drive there except an old bumpy farm track so apparently they had a bit of a walk - oops LOL).  He was very apologetic so I forgive him but Luke I'm right there with you - folks with young families and elderly ladies out hiking are the two groups I usually bump into on my explorations and neither of which would I wish an over protective dog on! Nor anyone else for that matter but I wouldn't want him to be stuck out there in the middle of nowhere without feeling safe and without companionship either.

Athletics today - my last day of my moving house sabbatical today shall be spent in front of the tv before I glue myself back to my desk next week.  We're getting there ...

Just entered a 10k for 9th September - cheeky little local sneak-inable as a decent tempo race before the big day (and to help ward off taperitis). Any views on whether it's too close ( 2 weeks before)?  I'm thinking of not 100% racing it or should I?

Halfway point for me - 7 weeks to go as of Monday - the top of the training peak is in sight whoop whoop

• Morning all, back in the office TV on through the internet watching the girl from my area Sheffield..............the girl of steel what a start!!!. Ran loads last week with Spanish Language students........managed to blow most of them away up the hills round here but had to be generous and helpful as they were paying us money to teach them, one was a very wealthy millionaire with his own hotel in Spain. Holiday sorted there!!! Good to see training going well for SB, Luke et al. Up to 20 miles this week so far and enjoying not running too long on Sundays at the moment, need to get up to 10 miles this Sunday for GNR preparation.  All the best for a good weekend of running team.

• Its not that I dont enjoy them. But yes I do get a bit bored. My mate is also running the marathon but he is injured at the moment so cant run this weekend. A few lads from the running club are doing it as well but we run at different paces. Think we are going to do a long run in the next few weeks. I will get it done though and let you know how it goes. Got to keep it accountable.

I have just worked out my route and it is quite challenging so now I'm looking forward to the challenge.

What does everyone do about carrying water on long runs? I've got a running belt that I quite like but probably need more water than the bottle will carry. Think i might have to shoot into a shop but not liking the idea of breaking my stride.Dont think I would like the camelback option. image

• Just think of it as good practice for the day itself - have you tried the Paula-counting- to-300 thing?  I usually find that I can't make it to 300 before something diverts my attention... but then I'm a skilled daydreamer image

I used a mountain bike bladder rucksack last time I was doing long miles (which remind me I need to dig it out) - it's very similar to a camel back but slimmer - you can probably get them for running too these days.  To be honest - as long as you do the straps tight enough to stop it moving about as you run - you don't even really notice it!  My 500ml wrist bottle seems to last me to 15 ish and I have a smaller one (300mlish) that I use for up to 2 hours.

How about getting one of those 2 belt options?  Have you seen this website btw? http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Running-Waist-Packs-Bags-Belts-Bottles-s/1818.htm

Oh and talking of websites - have you all seen this little beauty that needs adding to my list: http://glencoemarathon.co.uk/

• ps damn you runBritain!! Yesterday I was a 14.4 - today I'm a 14.8!! How very dare other people be getting PBs and reordering the national ladder image

I'm just gonna have to pull my socks up!!!!!!!

• Luke, on long training runs I take my 500ml hand bottle plus another 500 or 300 ml old plastic bottle filled with water which I drink first then bin. May help.
  • Luke I agree with Oscarr you need to approach these long runs in a positive frame of mind, I do a few things to help get past the fact you are out for a long time. I take some treat sweats with me, something like a Jelly Baby every odd mile(1,3,5)!! I also do a new route which I plan on mapmyrun so it's always new. My other tip is to have something to look forward to at the finish, I like a cold Banana For Goodness Shakes or a Double Decker !!

Re - water, I take a hand held 300ml or a belt with 2 x 350ml for my long runs, I also leave a bottle somewhere on the route the night before to top up.

SB, glad your OK and some justice has been done.

Can't run tonight stuck to my seat in front of TV !!

FH
  • Sleepy - a 10k race only 2 weeks out is not good to race it IMHO - maybe think about how you can use it though, something like a mix of pacing and quick so you could do first 6k at HMP then the last 4k at 10k pace that way you wont take too much out of you, you'll do a short tempo bit and feel great passing all those folk in the last bit?