Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Achillies almost back to normal, been doing a lot of cross training, mostly bike and eliptical trainer. Can't wait to get back to running, hopefully next couple of days crossing fingers. Guess I am starting again on Tuesday too, glad I started the build up a few weeks ago and got 3 17+ runs in before injury. Would be nice to pick up P&D plan on week 16 but will have to see where I am, can't have lost too much fitness in under two weeks. Long way to go and really determined to see it through after last years epic fail.
  • My training programme starts this week, and Manchester will be my second marathon following Berlin in September 2014. I was registered for 2015 but broke my leg in a walking accident. The very kind and sympathetic organisers allowed me to defer my entry. If anyone lives in or around Malvern and needs a training partner, please give me a shout. I'm one of life's great plodders and run for fun not times. I'll be happy with anything under 5 hours.

• Wow impressive comeback TT after a broken leg. Hope training goes well. Enjoy!
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

My training plan also starts today, let the madness begin again!!

• IkleBasielButn wrote (see)
    Wow impressive comeback TT after a broken leg. Hope training goes well. Enjoy!

Thanks. I've so far done a couple of 10ks without problem. How hard can this marathon malarkey be anyway?  

• Hey all, been a bit slack on here for a week or so. Seems like a lot of very impressive racing and training going on well done.

hope the injuries clear up with a bit of Christmas cheer and food! Know it is hard staying patient but you have time on your side.

been ticking over doing just over 40 miles a week for last 3 and even allowed myself a little faster run yesterday 10 miles with 6@6:03. Felt good and was still well in control so hopefu of some big PB's in the new year!

• Hi,
    Just signed up today. Returning after running this years brilliant race with the intention of going faster.
    This will be my 4th marathon. Maybe my last. Did I say that this time last year? Probablyimage

Started training loosely following the P&D 55mpw schedule for the long runs but have been knocked down with a heavy cold forcing me to have a few days off and reflect.
    Was feeling a bit down about missing a few days but comparing my training from last year seems to suggest that I'm currently ahead.
    13 hilly miles 2 weeks ago whereas this time last year had only done 8 and probably didn't know what P&D was.image
    Certainly good to get some perspective when you're a bit under the weather.
    Have a few races offroad in mid January which will knock me in to shape.

Well first post of 2016 campaign so must say good luck to everyone.

• So today was day 3 of 'The Plan'  so far Ive done 5 easy, 5 with 4 x 1000m @6.30 pace and today 10m at 8.15 ave (too fast :/)   Im following a sub 3.30 plan, Current PBs tell me thats what I should be capable of but Im thinking 2nd mara (1st was in April 3.59.25 at VLM and in totally wrong pen). So I reckon sub 3.45 ??  Half PB was 10 days ago 1.36.29 (ive run 3 others under 1,40 in last 13 months).......

• No Andy Reading here, Washwood, but did do the Hooky Christmas Canter though which was a bit gruelling but good fun at the end.

I'd say a sub3:45 is very achievable for you with those times - very similar to my own current HM. I went for 3:30 in Amsterdam, didn't work out on the day and took 3:45:00 (very happy as previous pb was 3:58:14 from Paris in April). Going to aim for sub 1:35 in Feb at Wokingham HM and then have a crack at 3:30 again in Manchester.

Good luck with the Christmas training everyone! I'm heading out in a minute for a slow 10m - somewhere between recovery and easy paces. Did a tough mile reps session on Tuesday with the club, no need to overdo it. It's defo a wet weather gear day today!

• Hmmmm Wokingham.... hadnt thought about this half and it might suit me a bit better. Was going to do COventry on 28th then MK 20 the week after .... Wokingham may wel be preferable !

• 2nd marathon..... week 2 of plan ...... feeling ALOT less enthusiastic this time round :/

• washwood - you'll be fine, sounds like all your race pb's are improving and it's moving in the right direction. it is the beginning of the campaign and a long way to go until April 10th. I must admit I haven't engaged with it fully yet, just going week by week following a plan - running with the club - looking forward to next XC at Shotover - little bites to eat an elephant....  Be ready for a bit of a slog through Jan and Feb then suddenly it'll get a bit warmer, start seeing a few daffs and green in the hedges and BOOM you'll be set to smash a few early races like Banbury15 and Wokingham and in a good place for Manchester 2016! (might be giving myself a bit of a talking to here as well)

How we all doing? Got through xmas unscathed, nearly, getting ready to start fully engaging with this campaign in the New year - tempted to knock meat and booze on the head for the year - or as a compromise until after this marathon, see if it makes any difference? Did my first parkrun on Boxing Day, loved it, might have to go back again!

• dont suppose anyone knows if they run a mini marathon event for kids on mara day? thinking my sproglett might be keen. Couldn't see anything on website but wondered if I was being blind somewhat!

happy new year to you all by thee way!! May 2016 be fruitful and healthy !!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Hope you all have been enjoying the festivities. Some cracking training going on-long may it continue as we approach the new year!

I have had a nightmare month with my knee injury but am finally up and running again. Have just managed a few 5/6 mile jogs pain free. Was having serious doubts about making the start line and still far from certain to do so but there might be light at the end of the tunnel. Have decided to start a 12 week plan (P&D) in 2 weeks so just hoping I can get the body ready in time!

• I booked the parking and hotel yesterday. Premier Inn still had rooms at Manchester Airport for £45! 

Starting to pick up the training now, but struggling to see how I'll fit the miles in during the week.

• Hi all. HNY. 2 parkruns in 2 days and LSR tomorrow (only 10 miles) then back to work for me. Hi Ed, we always say that after a marathon. This is my 10th attempt at sub 4!! image
  • HI all,  i have not been around over Xmas as simply just not had time. The new year has kicked in and so has the training. Did my second 15 miler today and was ok up to 14 miles at which point my feet were hurting a little. Managed 6 minutes quicker than other 15 mile run i have done so all going well.

On the car park issue, i booked mine ages ago but not received a car park ticket. Has anyone else booked the car park and are able to tell me what the situation is, have they been posted or do they go out nearer the time job lot?

• good luck everybody

I have had to defer my start date until next week owing to a slight pulled muscle in lower calf.  bigger problem is my hip does not function properly but my physio has given me the green light to start full on training; which is fine but I will be in a lot of pain following hard sessions until said hip gets sorted properly.

;

• Hi John. Hope you get better Pete. Just did lsr of 10 miles. Joyful and triumphant!!
  • Here goes nothing....... P&d plan upto 55 kicks in on Tuesday with an 8 miler 4 of which are at threshold, nervous a test for the buttock not gone flat out since sept eek!!! hoping all will be well

good luck all

• Anyone advise on car park ticket which hasn't arrived, slighlty concerned about not getting it yet. Good luck Pete
  • Hi, 

Did this marathon last year and see some familiar names back on this forum. Looks like I'm coming back this year. Did dublin marathon in October and been averaging 35 miles per week since end of October with LSR around the 12-14 miles so ready to kick on.

Because I've left it late accommodation is sold out or very expensive, can any local guys advice if the airport is do-able to the start as some good prices available there. I would be getting train to Manchester from Glasgow so would not have a car. 

Thanks. 

• Bigeater the airport is fine, you can either get a taxi to the start line or the tram from the airport to Old Trafford i think it is from there. A longish journey by tram so allow 30-45 mins. Personally i would get a cab for the less stress factor, but one tram is also easy enough.

• Thanks JJ, how's the running going? What's the target this year?

Any idea the closest hotels to the networking at the airport?

• Personally i would go for the Radisson Blu on Chicago Avenue i think it is called, this is as close as you will get to the tram station at the airport. A little more expensive but not much and you know you will have a great hotel to settle into.

• Running is going ok Bigeater,I am ahead of where i was last year.

My LSR is the same distance at 24km but i am 8 minutes quicker than last year and it feels a little easier plus i have had more longer runs under my belt, 7 this time around compared to 4 last year. Hows your efforts compared to 2015?

Target time for me will be 4:29:59 but i think 4:40:xx is where i am at currently, still slow but a little quicker than last time out image

• Bigeater, i wasnt going to complicate things for you, but if cost is an issue perhaps look at Altrincham hotels, there is a travel lodge there which will be half the price of the Radisson and is on one of the direct lines to the start line as well as the airport line. Just an idea really if cost was an issue.

• Happy New Year all! I hope you were all good and didn't over indulge as much as me! image

I've hardly done any running (part hangovers / part still injured!) but need to get the game face on and get back into it properly or just admit defeat. I've scrapped the P & D plan now as there was no way I could get into that without killing myself or causing long terms damage so have adjusted plans to just get a PB, which will do me fine under the current circumstances but might even just scrap that , do a get-round-the-course and aim for a PB in Edinburgh. My ankle issues do actually seem to have got a lot better since the op but now seem to have developed a form of tendonitis on the same ankle, which I can't seem to shake (even after a 3 week complete rest!)

Anyway, I managed 5K this morning as a run / walk, leg felt okay running but started to tighten up again about an hour after the run. I'm not in any real pain but it's a niggle that is always there that messes with my head the full time I'm running. Got physio on Thursday so wish me luck!

All the best, hope you're all staying fit and healthy, at least it's not snow and ice! image