Marathon training in 7 weeks

I have an opportunity to run a marathon but it is in 7 weeks time.... Am I mad?

I run 3 to 4 times a week, depending on races, and regularly do a long run of 13 miles.  I also regularly run off road and do hill work, have completed 4 half marathons in the last 12 months and average weekly mileage is 32. 

Am I expecting too much to be able to build my milage up in such a short time?

Comments

• If you can run 30+ miles a week you can do a marathon, but you won't be able to race it. Be prepared to treat it like an easy long run, then spend the next 4 weeks getting a few long runs in.

You'll get the best preparation if you can double up your long run with another day back to back. ie run 9 at a fairly steady pace on saturday, then do your long run (16 ish if possible) on Sunday. (Look up the Hanson's method, it's based on this principle for lower mileage marathon runners)

• You have 5 weeks if you're tapering down ?

Week 1 15 miles long run

Week 2 17 miles long run

Week 3 20 miles long run

Week 4 Drop back down to 13/15 miles long run

Week 5 Last 20 miles long run

Something like that ? As Ross says - you won't be able to race it - but you will get round if you're sensible.
  • cougie wrote (see)

You have 5 weeks if you're tapering down ?

Week 1 15 miles long run
    Week 2 17 miles long run
    Week 3 20 miles long run
    Week 4 Drop back down to 13/15 miles long run
    Week 5 Last 20 miles long run

Something like that ? As Ross says - you won't be able to race it - but you will get round if you're sensible.

very sensible advice,
    louis - you have decent base to start from so once you build up some endurance you should get round fine

cougs - this reminds me, it's just about time for another "lol, your screwed" charade image

• So it is Mr Z ! One of the first signs of Spring !
  • Thanks for the positive responses guys.  Will definitely follow your advice! image

• With running only 3 to 4 days a week (as I do), I wouldn't be bothering with a full on taper as its not like we are hammering out huge mileage, getting massively fatigued, and depleted of energy. I would be training full on up to 2 weeks / 10 days before the race, to buy you an extra week (just my preference, horses for courses and all that).
  • Had my place confirmed for the Paris marathon today so will let you know how I get on!  15 miles planning in the morning.

David - thanks for the confidence boost!

Also-ran - Will bare your comments in mind, I've never gone longer than 10 days off in the last 4 years.

• Louis2002..Yes you can.Back in 2210 i trained for the Nottingham marathon in 8 weeks,my training up to then was much like yours, 3/4 runs a week with a 14 miler every few weeks. I was also doing 2 swims a week and 3 bike rides,as i did sprint Triathlons,and 10k races, I increased my long run on a Sunday by 2 miles a week from 14 up to 20,and increased 1 of my midweek runs up to 10 miles,i also continued to bike and swim up to 3 weeks out.Which helped with my endurance,and recovery.The race went fairly well considering it was one of the hottest days of the year,and i got round in 4 hr 9 min,which was only 19 mins longer than i wanted.

• Hi guys, just thought I would up date you on my training after the support/confidence boost!  I am now up to 19 miles, found the last mile a little tough but kept on going! image  What I didn't say is am also doing the London marathon two weeks after Paris!  I let you know if I survive, nothing like baptism by fire!