RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Spoons - generally only the big expensive races sell out - you can usually still get an entry for the smaller cheaper ones up to a week in advance.  Depending on which this is you may be able to leave it a while.  

I reckon I'll be doing the Coniston old man tri again next year - they've put the price up to £60, but I only entered a week before last year so no need to commit now.  Great value, harder than a flat half, and beer when you finish - tempted? 

Daren - next time.

FRC - that toenail is on borrowed time, I give it 24 hours!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

White smoke.... white smoke.  But bribes still accepted.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

DD - you should be, its a great event.  June 1st:  http://www.mytrievents.co.uk/triathlon/the-old-man-triathlon/.  Camping on site, and theres a standard distance the day before in the afternoon (could do both... image).  OH and a few friends look like they are going to peer pressure each other into doing it this year - I'll be waiting a while for them to finish... 

•  

Minni: if I get BA to let you off that promise you made after the TM does that count as a bribe image   IMO Roherham is an ideal first ultra, a couple of the blokes in my group had never gone further than a marathon distance and survived not only the distance but my inane chatter image

FRC: no it shouldn't sound squishy and you may kiss the nail goodbye, it can join one of mine in that great nail scrapyard in the sky.  Thanks for asking, the leg is still swollen and itchy but no worse

Recovery run for me tonight - no major issues rather to my surprise

• Kiwi & FRC Yep you're right the speed will come. I just have to concentrate on building the miles.

Chick Brilliant that you banked all that mileage

Two nice surprises for me yesterday:

• Ran my timed mile & was really happy & shocked myself that I ran it in 8.11
    • Work has been really busy - on par with manic, the past few weeks with an extra project on top of my normal work, rewarded with a bottle of bubbly to say thanks.

DD/Minni Can't bribe as didn't know what the shite award was. Barry has explained so I understand now.

No running planned today as we are celebrating our daughter's 19th birthday. Blimey the time has flown by since she was born in Chester all those years ago.

• Nice to be rewarded for hard work, Pinklady image   never happened to me image

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Minni and I have spoken, white smoke rises from the vatican, the next recipient of the Shite award is selected...... But were not telling you... Yet. 

uuuuh, exciting!! image

Had my flu jab yesterday and it really hit me this year. No sleep at all last night - going from boiling hot one minute to shivering uncontrollably the next image  I know that this can happen but it's the first time it happened to me. Anyway, think I'm over the worst. Only a headache remains.

• Well done Pinklady - I have never been rewarded for hard work because I have never done any image

Ran into work this morning, probably a mistake.

Look after yourself Chick!

• Coniston Oly distance sounds tempting! 

• O4S - amazing, can't believe you've run today image Well, I suppose I can!

daren - that's a pisser. Been a while since that's happened to you hey image

Chick - nice week. Good to see you coming back.

minni/DD - exciting times. Can't believe its come round again already,

spoons - 8 months of shitting yourself and self doubt! Madness! but you will be absolutely fine. Go do that HIM too. Good timing.

i battered myself on the bike in the gym again this morning. Had my MRI scan last night. They're a bit strange aren't they?! Very noisy and 25 minutes long. Wasn't expecting that image Results tomorrow evening.image

• AA - hope the MRI can show up what's wrong. Yes they are weird - I had one once on my foot and half way through they injected some really cold liquid into a vein, which is then meant to show things up even better. It felt like they were slowly dipping my foot into an ice bucket!

I think the deliberations for the ShIT award this year will have been hard - lots of fantastic performances by lots of people...a vintage year for Team Minni image

Daren - that's a bugger, just when you were getting back to your best. Hope it doesn't happen on your next one.

Off to do some intervals in a bit image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Hi all. Brief visit

Seems this is now a tri and ultra thread

I might give Coniston Olympic a go if I'm around and not injured

Chick- good mileage last week. I managed 23 after 10 the week before and 0 for the two before then.

Another hour beach run last night. Slowly improving but ankles like concrete in the morning still
  • Daren - Bad luck with the 10K, hopefully 3rd time lucky and  you will smash it.

O4S - You do the hard work at the weekends.

Difficult decision for the ShIT award, there are a couple of very strong contenders but I know who my money is on.  Can I have a shit award, for the worst performance of the year,  for my PW at VLM please.image

Off on our hols tomorrow, hopefully come back fully fit and running again, as planning to try running Thursday morning as no doubt I'll be awake at stupid O'clock. So adios amigos til November.

• Barry - if your PW still starts with a 3 then it's not really a contender....you have to get really deep into the 4's for thatimage Have a great holiday image

Mile reps d&d - 4 sets at increasing paces from 6.58 to 6.39. That felt gooooood image
  • Freemers:  so that makes me a front runner.......................image

Nice reps

• Freemers - looking good! When is your next half marathon?

AA/DD/Spoons - another mega swim possible - 5K or 10K around Buttermere: http://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/19.html lovely location

2old - nice, maybe a thread tri group meet in coniston

• All these amazing events up in the lake district.

It takes me 7 hours to drive..... image

• get a faster car, spoons image

• Good cycle training Spoons!!

• Ant - next HM is November 3rd. Hopefully I can go a little quicker than the last one...

O4S - given your one and only (I think?) 4.XX was done only a few days after you had those skin grafts I think you are excused image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant- good iidea - swim is tempting too as not too far 

minni- ultra madness /trepidation?

free- which HM?

Spoons- southern softyimage

Barry- Asta la vista 

7miles today 24c

• Chick It's the first time I've been rewarded, I had to do my normal work as well so it was nice to receive. I'm planning to have flu jab when i'm back, never had one before. Hope your feeling a little better.

Barry Don't be too hard on yourself

Daren sorry to hear that

Running kit & Garmin packed, will try & get some runs in & some swimming training too. Looking forward to the break. image

Adios & good luck to all of you for the award

• KFC-thanks for the information on speed endurance workouts they look very hard!

Freemers- glad you had a good 17 mile run, are you just keeping your long runs going or are you training for a race? Nice reps

Spoons-did your enter the half ironman? It's expensive or is that a cheap one?

pink lady- great timed mileimage Hope Barry and yourself have a great holiday. 

Chick- that's put me right off having the flu jab, hope your feeling better soon.

AA- fingers crossed it's good news tomorrow. 

Off for a 15 mile run tomorrow on the road and not off road! I was going to go very easy but tempted to speed up in the later miles, oh decisions

• O4S - that's a rubbish effort for the shittest award!!

freemers - top reps image

2old - I want to run again image 

barry and pink - enjoy 

the bench has emptied. Just me left keeping it warm image

Did manage a pb on the bike on the gym 18.1 miles in the hour. Felt exhausted all day though. Hope it is somehow keeping my fitness going. Swim tomorrow image

• AA - Not quite emptied, I'm still keeping it warmimage. Saw the physio today, can now take the sling off. Shoulder feels strange, weak, and stiff after 7wks immobile. Got to take things slowly, slowly, and no swimming, but exercises in the pool ok.Will try a run tomorrow, luckily my arm swing was pretty low and minimal previously anyway, but will definitely be S&S.

Spoons - I'm sure you've got some nice National Parks down your way. But FRC, 2old and myself are a bit spoilt. With The lakes, Peak District, Snowdonia, The Trough and Yorkshire moors all within about 1.5hrs.

• AA- congrats on your PB at least you can x train so your fitness should be very high when you get back to xxxingimage

Has anyone got the spreadsheet for the P and D programme? If so can you email it to me please.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Simon - great news, rehab time beckons!

Nice mile pink lady - enjoy your holiday

O4S - your legs are feeling fine?  Whatever you are made of I'll have some of it!

AA - that'll def keep your fitness.  Fingers crossed the results help.

Club speed session tonight - 8x 2mins at slightly faster than 5k pace, 1.20 rest.  Legs felt OK for the session, but we did a celebration flat out sprint at the end and they wouldnt play - flat last of everyone, after being top third for the reps.  Gotta love marathons!   This block until xmas is all focussed on improving 5k speed.  Bring it on!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- keep the faith - you will run soon- hope the scan puts you on track ...nice pb by the way

Simon- good to see you moving off the bench. Much muscle wastage due to the inactivity? All those playgrounds await your return 

Gaz- I use the book for P&D - think you may find it on the US RW site. How was the 15?

KFC- nice session

O4S- you're in great form 

why is it raining here. It's not supposed toimage

• Hi all

AA: keep the faith, you will run

pink/ Barry : enjoy your hols

Simon: hope your run goes well. I prefer my selection of Dartmoor, Exmoor and New forest to yours. 

Was going to swim today but pool was shut due to an "incident" which probably was a child pooing in the pool it usually is! Ran with 2nd string club tonight, they dont have a clue.

• 2old - When I come back tomorrow doing 12mmp, I'll blame it on muscle wastageimage. How's the bike btw? Or is it wrapped up in your garage for the winter?

DD - They sound good too, a bit better than the dunes of Dubai, or are you missing being  sandblasted?image