RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

KFC-very good fell racing and superior podium and bling too. So impressive especially as it looks as though you had a really enjoyable time

Omph-I am constantly inspired by the toughness (apart from your hip skinimage)of you guys and sometimes pain is only in the mind. You have pushed yourself pretty hard these last few weeks and maybe a bit of recovery is needed.To do a HM at this stage is a big ask.Im looking for the moment when I feel ready but as I havent ran more than 7.5 miles in the last month I am holding off. You'll get there. ..

2.5k swim today

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Any bling you say oompa?  Well, if you must...  2 of the silvers on this pic are mine image https://twitter.com/vphthac/status/511177850574360576/photo/1

I think we've all been there for runs like yours yesterday - you cant expect to be able to bash out what you could do pre op right now.  If its any consolation, BH has the worse chafing I've ever seen from his run yesterday - he borrowed a pair of shorts from his dad and the results are frankly terrifying.

2old - its races and weekends like that which is why I run - theres nothing better than sharing a tough event with friends - thats what I find fun!

• Well done on the Park run 2Old

KFC Brilliant - congratulations. I have an automatic entry for Wokingham HM next year due to it being cancelled this year. So my plan is to run shorter races & gradually build up to that HM next February.

Kiwi Sorry to hear that you won't be at Abo

Great running there Nell

Oompa Wise decision not to run a HM for the moment

Swimming training Friday was good, I am really feeling the benefit of all the training I did in the summer. There were 9 of us in one lane all drafting - an experience that was!

Really enjoyed helping at the Tri Sunday & pleased I didn't take part as I am not confident enough on the bike yet. The bike course was a hilly one. It was good though to support some of the people from my swim group & to see how it all works - especially knowing when you've completed 16 lengths in the pool.

Swimming training yesterday morning was hard but I have no problems keeping up with the rest of my lane now. Decided to run yesterday lunchtime so got 4 miles in & didn't want to stop - that's progress.

Yes got beaten by Barry in the pool Sunday - he's doing really well but his legs are a lot longer than mine image I've now challenged him to a 400m swim image

• 2old - For toughness, read stupidity!image

kfc - Mmmmmmm... me likes it, me wants it precious!!! Apologies, i'm suffering from 18 months worth of bling depletion ! image 

Pink - Drill a tiny little hole in his goggles so they fill up nicely.image That'll learn him for having the audacity to beat you in the pool !image

• kfc - Congrats on your haul after the weekend of "fun".

2old - Barring any more injuries I will be running Abo but after missing 5 weeks of running training my expectations are n't very high.

Oompa - very cunning plan, remind me never to race you.

I will race Pink over 400 but I reckon it will be next year, I don't fancy being beaten by a few lengths. 7 miles this afternoon and still all good with the achilles.  I've got 4.5 weeks until Abo and any thoughts on distances I should be getting up to, concentrate on getting some quality runs in or try and ramp up and get a 20 done?

• Hi kfc, Well done on the fell running last weekend, yes Hendersons is nice, but I prefer my meat ;0)

Hi Pink, Good plan in order there. I see a bit of competition on the horizon with the swimming ;0)

Hi Oompa, Sorry to hear on the bad run. I am sure you will just put that down to a bad session and go on from there. By the sounds of things you have been through much worse?

Hi 2old, Well done on the Tri

Hi Barry, Picking your races eh?  image Time to get a few miles in if the foot is up to it?

Easy-moderate 6 for me yesterday at average 7:51 and then intervals today, warm up 2 miles, 2x3 miles @ Goal MP minus 10 secs/mile with 1/2 mile jog recovery in between, cool down 2 miles. Interval splits, 20:22, 20:02. Should have been a one mile recovery, which I kinda regretted not taking as opposed to the half mile image Then spent the rest of the day in a computer room and feel drained now!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- I would do a couple of short runs over the next few days then on Friday aim for 12 slow . If all ok 16 on Sunday. If ok 18 next week ,20 the week after .But that's me and I'm no expert I'm going to move forward carefully- London is my target now

nell- very disciplined run. Don't think the missed half mile will matter 

Oomp- you need both qualities for this pass time. 

Pink- drafting is the way to swim fast. I need to go to my club more often . Don't worry about tris They are fun fun fun. 

Kfc- think you summed up why I hate being injured. 

7.5 miles last night -719mm av -and it was hot. An hour spinning and two hours golf !!!  Today. Signed up for a 10k in October and a HM early December . Fingers crossed my body holds together. 

• Oh wow - my work computer lets me on the thread again image

Somehow I lost the link from my phone and at work the page simply wouldn't load.

Great running guys. 

2old, nuts as ever - completely ignoring the aching achilles to bash out a fast parkrun and a tri    tsk tsk!!

Oompa: some decent running by you lately. Nice. Don't beat yourself up over one bad run. I often find it hard to get a good run in after having been around town, done this and that. And heat plays a significant part as well.

Nell: you'll run a blinder of a marathon judging from those paces!

Pink: I hear you re. the half. I never race unless I feel completely ready and up for it.

In other news I think I beat my achilles probs image  I can do 8 slow miles now without pain. But I've done a lot of glute work and Minni's Core H routine image. I'm quite good at V-sits now image. I never got the hang of those swimming exercises on dry land though image  just as well I don't swim ...

Slowly building back up now. Keeping at the strength work and also learned to love the stairs at work.

Minni posted on the 3:15 thread that she can not get onto this one at all. For me it's hit & miss as well. No idea what happened and why it's so difficult for some of us. Maybe that's why AA, Bro and carrot disappeared as well? And what about Daren and Ant?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-welcome back.I have to search to find this thread.Great news that you're over the niggle and building again.You are half a mile ahead of me -my max is 7.5 miles. I will do some longer stuff next week when the tris finish. Yes , missing the old crew too...dont forget DD too.If this carries on maybe we should jointhe 3.15ers? Ive decided active recovery is the way to deal with my achilles(and state of mind)

7miles this lunchtime 7.26mm

• HI Chick, Good news on the Achilles problem image

Hi 2old, Nice running for someone with an Achilles problem image

I have this forum on my Followed Threads so just go straight to it...

8 miles this morning at 7:38mm average, bit tired this morning. Popped into the gym at lunchtime for some S&C. Think the cold bath will have to be done tonight to liven up the legs ....

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell-pretty good running by you too-are you doing a long or short taper?

Barry-tested the achilles again yet?

Swim club last night-1.9k-all of us in separate lanes so no drafting or hiding-shattered today.Achilles grumbling a bit more than Id like so will start my taper for Sundays tri today

• I have it on followed threads too but most days it simply won't load or tell me I needed to log in (when I was already logged in)   image

7 miles this morning - it's a start ...

• Good to see you're back Chick.image

Barry - I've always preached to my children to live by the principle that if you can't win... CHEAT!image

Nell - What pace do you tend to do your tempo/threshold runs at? I only ask because like 2old you seem to run at a much faster "general" pace than i ever did, yet we are aiming for similar mara times? 

2old - Go easy on the achilles.

Did a hilly(ish) 4.2 mile off-road club run on Tuesday night and all was well with the world, so i don't now what was wrong with me on Sunday? Pffft!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-like the idea that 7 miles is a starting point

Oomp- I know I am running my runs too fast but I am not yet on a marathon schedule. My Achilles keeps warning me it's too soon imageMy runs are relatively short and are part of my TRI training routine so I suppose I'm trying to make them all count inbetween the swims and spinning . Nell on the other hand is marathon training image. Glad to see that hilly run went well .Looks like Sunday was a blip.

• Hi 2old, You really are taking this active recovery thing to the limit aren't you?image

Hi Chick, Well done on the 7 this morning. I have not had any problems loading the page. Maybe something at work blocking the page? We have all kinds of nonsense on our system at work, it particularly doesn't open pages from google, but then if you type in the correct address you go straight there...

Hi Oompa, Good news on the 4.2 miles, I think that makes all the more reason to write Sunday off as a bad day ! You sound the sports teachers nightmare with your principles Oompa image

I do aim to do my MP/Tempo splits at MP, but I usually go a bit faster like this morning. My (intended) MP for York is 7:09, but I kind of aim for 7:00-7:09 on the splits.

MP/Tempo run this morning and 13.25 Miles. I must admit I find this session the most challenging of the week as I am on my 6th day of running before my Friday rest day. I didn't feel like running a blinder when I got out of bed Chick! imageThis is when the cumulative effect has really kicked in, but I perform the MP section on a 3 mile circuit and just break it down, feels good when it is done and I am sitting in the cold bath recovering with a hot blackcurrant juice image

warm up 1.5 miles, 10 miles @ goal MP, cool down 1.75 miles. MP/Tempo Splits: 7:00, 7:00, 7;01, 6:57, 6:56, 7:01, 6:55, 7:04, 7:02, 6:57

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell-I'm very impressed by the consistency of your runs and today's was another example...good distance too Looking forward to seeing you in action in your marathon ...it can't come soon enough 

another hour spinning today plus some foam roller work ...ouch . Pity I have to be sensible and not run 

• 2old/Nell - What i'm getting at, in a convoluted way, is that my tempo/threshold pace is/was around 6.50, but my lsr pace is around 8.15. Is there too much of a difference?

2Old wrote (see)

Nell-I'm very impressed by the consistency of your runs and today's was another example...good distance too Looking forward to seeing you in action in your marathon ...it can't come soon enough

Nell - I couldn't agree more, especially if it comes at the end of your running week. How many miles are you logging at present?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp- when I did run sub 3.15 marathons I could never do tempos at 6.50 that was too fast for me and was my half marathon pace and I could only do it in races. My tempo was nearer 7.00mm but I didn't do much of that. a lot of my runs -especially MLRs-were near MP or just under apart from my LRs which were about 30-45secs slower. I logged lots of miles which is why I was always injured. I am interested to see how many Nell does. I suspect not as many as we might expect 

got caught up in the vote stuff on TV last night so didn't sleep much . Swam just over a mile today to clear my head. 

• Great running Nell. Gawd, 7:10 was my HM pace when I was proper fit. Yet you knock out 7mm early doors! I wonder if I ever become fit enough again to have another crack at a PB marathon... image   I really really want to but I fear I may be too frail and too old by now image   wallowing in self-pity ...

I think our thread was curtailed because the thread starter (forumite called kittenkat) was banned for being rude to another forumite. When they ban someone, all threads that they started disappear.

Dunno why some days the page won't load and then on other days it's fine. IT stuff - never got my head around that!

• Cheers Guys, appreciate the good feedback image

Hi Chick, Never give up. You are on your way back to fitness now image

Hi 2old, If the foam roller is hurting, unfortunately there needs a bit of work to be done there? Well done on the swim and being sensible! Yes, it is all over now and we can get back to a normal life after being swamped with Independence TV shows....

Hi Oompa, 6:50 is a great Tempo/MP, I think I would be pushing a bit too much for that pace just now. I can't wait to see you back to full fitness  image

They do say to run your LSR at 60-90 secs slower than your MP so 8:15 would fit in. When I went for sub 3:15 I think 8:15 was the pace on the LSR.

This Hansons plan is a bit different to the conventional plan my LSR is to be run at an Easy To Moderate  pace which for pre 3:10 (3:07:30) is: 7:48 – 8:07. That is the pace for both the Saturday and the Sunday runs. For instance this Saturday I have 10 miles and then Sunday is 14 miles. The most miles I run on the Sunday is 16, but I am always clocking the miles on the Saturday so that the legs are not that fresh on the Sunday. I do find that the cumulative effect hits me on the Thursday run the most, as that is at the end of the six day accumulation.

I am just coming to the end of Week 8 of the 11 week plan (not sure what happened there as it was supposed to be 12) The weekly mileage for the plan is: 42, 48.6, 48.25, 52.5, 57.25, 53, 62,63, 63.5, 53, 50.2. so not a really high mileage plan, but more miles than I have ran on a plan before. I am also scared not to aggravate the iTB so I am trying to be careful. With the layout of the plan I have felt the cumulative effect the last couple of weeks or so. The running more miles during the week than I normally do has been the big test. Although I have felt strong going through the plan and I certainly think the plan helped me on the Scottish HM.  

If you are interested and would like to have a look at the plan message me your email address and I will send it over...but maybe wait to see how I get on first eh ? I am hoping the wheels stay on image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- I've always thought the Hansons plan as tough because of the consistently hard runs required. I'm sure you'll get through it and am keen to see the outcome . 

chick- surely that can't be why this thread is buried away. Not happy here if it isimage Maybe someone from RW watching this will comment?

Park Run today. 10th,14 seconds faster than last week 20.10 Garmin time . Sub20 still eluding me but getting nearer.....it's only 11secs for !!!!s sake . Fleetwood Sprint tri tomorrow. 

• Hi 2old, Well done on the Parkrun this morning and hopefully you can shave that 11 secs off next week. Good luck with the sprint tri tomorrow. yes, the Hansons runs can push you at times...

I went out and did 10 miles this morning, average 7:27mm which was a little bit fast than prescribed, but it did feel a good run. A little drizzly this morning which seemed to make the run a nice fresh one image

Off into town now to meet the girls shopping, my buddy has abandoned me to Scout camp, so am left to the demands of the women image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

pink - sounds like a good plan.  You've gotta be strategic on those swimming races against Barry, I think its only fair to compete over the longer distances!  Think you'll do that tri next year? 

Barry - sounds like you'll be heading into abo with a similar build up to me for my last ones.  Dont take my advice on how to pace cos it didnt work!  I'd say build up your long runs to a 20 at 2 weeks before (as long as the body says yes to that).

Sweet training going on there Nell, no wonder you are tired.  Thats a cracking MP session on tired legs - sure that will see you well in york.

2old - golf definitely doesnt count! Nice fast parkrun - so close!

Good news the achilles feels better Chick - like nell said - I'm sure you can still get faster!

Took 3 days to recover from the fell racing, then did just over 6M at about 7.30's with the club on Thursday - which felt really hard.  Wasn't expecting too much from parkrun today, but managed a relatively even paced 20.54 which at 40s faster than my effort a week after reykjavik shows despite last weekend I'm starting to recover, so happy with that.  Wasn't even annoyed at not getting the win, cos the first lady broke the course record by 20s image in a time that puts her around the UK top 50...

Potentially doing a trail HM tomorrow, but totally dependant on how boozed I get tonight at a uni reunion...

• Chick - I think you're right, the last time the thread went missing Minni contacted RW and they sorted it, I PM'd Ben RW last week but have been ignored, maybe I have got the clout of minni.  Good news on your recovery.

2old - nice parkrun and good luck for today.  I think only you and nell could move to the Sub 3.15 that's really a sub 3 thread.

kfc -  Another nice parkrun. I hear you regarding Abingdon, 3.25 to 3:30  is a realistic target. I'm happy to race Pink over 400 at swimming but when we run a race I give her 3 mins a mile so I'll have 10 seconds per length.

nell - Good strong running from you.

3 miles on thursday to break in new shoes and all good.  We had a 400m time trial on Friday night at swim club, first time I'd attempted one and was a bit nervous, I  had a bit of a wobble at halfway but finished in 11.40 which I was happy with.  Tough swim session yesterday. Ran just over 10.5 this morning at 7;22 avg and achilles OK, pushed on the pace and it did not feel comfortable but at least I've kept some of my pace.

• Hi kfc, Good news on the parkrun times now coming down, hope you made the HM. If not, hope it was a good night image

Hi Barry, Good news on the run this morning, that is promising that there was no pain with the Achilles...

14 miles for me this morning, Used the same route as yesterday with miles added either end. Again ran it 7:27mm average, which was a bit spooky. Nice morning and quite enjoyed it. Last heavy mile week this week and then it slightly eases off for the last 2 weeks...

• hi guys, self indulgent post alert!

I did it! Ran my first race since VLM 2012 + my knee held up!! loved it, buzzing even tho i got a 1 minute personal worse - according to my garmin 1hr49:56. just elated to know i can run + not fall apart. Abo still off tho, following physio's advice, will rest next week then stick to shorter distances for the foreseeable future. will read back later image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Well done kiwi - its a new comeback PB, ready to be smashed next time you race!

Barry - sounds like you are gonna be more sensible that me for your pacing - good call.

Nell - yes it was a great night, and after getting to my bed at 4am, I also made it to the HM image.   

I guess you can imagine what the race felt like...  Its a lovely race, pretty much all offroad on trails round Royston - a mix of grassy paths, field margins, ploughed fields, chalk paths and rooty woodland.  It undulates the whole way making the most of what hills they've got there.  I set off at about 7.30 pace, but realised after a few miles I didnt have the energy for that!  Plodded away for the rest, suffering from the lack of sleep, lack of carb in the meal I had at uni last night, and legs complaining from having to do this after the last weeks fell running.  Should have been in the mix for placing, but saw the leading women gradually pulling away from me and couldnt do owt about it.  Ended up running 1.50, and now I'm really tired!  Sorry oompa - no bling this time!

BH had a good run, and added a few more to make it 16, and good to catch up with our other friend running Beachy Head with us who did 7 before to make it a 20.  No chance of me doing that today!

• Thanks KFC, I thought of it like that, a comeback p.b to be bettered next time. Still buzzing from actually having taken part in a race! Sounds like your course was pretty, shame you didn't get any bling but great job even turning up after a 4am bedtime! Well done to BH for a good run.

Nell - I've said it before - very interesting to read about your training, you are going to smash your marathon.

Barry - nice to see you talking about Abo image

2Old - still marvelling at how you never lose your speed after injury, well done!

Chick - annoying about the thread being so hard to find!

Pink - sounds like a good plan going forward image

Well will be off radar this coming week as am having a rest week and off to Germany with school, hope everyone's niggles stay at bay.

• 2Old Well done on the Parkrun

Good running there Nell

KFC I am planning to take part in the Good Fri tri next year. There's a Novice or a Sprint. My cycling should be better by then. I'm not sure about the 10 second lead for Barry image  will have to seriously think about that one!

Well done on the fell race and parkrun & the race today - don't worry about no bling. Well done to BH to.

That's brilliant news Kiwi and you probably have regained your confidence to boot - well done image Enjoy the trip to Germany. I have no regrets about not running the HM today.

Swimming has been going well for me so I am really pleased that I continued with the training during the summer. Ran during a couple of lunchtimes last week which I actually enjoyed. Met up with one of my swimming buddies for a run this morning which ended up being part of the Swindon HM route. When we finished just under 10 miles had been completed. Strange that I felt amazing as it was the longest run I've done since before the summer image 

Next weekend I am running a 10k in Bath through railway tunnels - i'll try & ignore the fact that I am slightly claustrophobic!

• Excellent running kiwi and kfc image  

kiwi: 1:49 is not bad at all after such a long injury lay-off. Great to have that as a building block.

Nice pacy stuff again from the boys image

Nell: That Hansons plan would surely break me. I would also freak out if I hadn't at least a handful of 20s and 22s under my belt. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out for you on race day. It's probably suited to fast-twitchers (which I clearly am not image)

2old: how did the Tri go? Hope you are still in one piece!!

Well, I managed a 2 hour+ run on Saturday image. I didn't really measure it. It was off-road and I walked and stretched from time to time but this was more a precaution than a necessity. And no ill-effects. I think I can start building from here. Only had time for a trendy 5 at lunchtime today but hoping for something longer tomorrow. It's turned very autumnal all of the sudden. Cold and windy but I take it. I actually prefer it to the stifling heat and humidity of summer.