RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Good man Carl - you are right ... There are lots of distractions during summer training so can be hard fitting everything in so as you say just a matter of knocking the sessions out one by one as they come at you.

so I think that's 11 weeks of p&d done - 7 wks to go unbelievably!

6 of us weighed in at 7.30 this morning for the long run. They did 15 and did a few extra to make mine up to 20mls.

It was an incredibly hilly route with some brutal climbs in the first half. We were rewarded however with some great views and downhill sections.

2:54 for the run which was 8.42 avg pace. Some left in the tank too so quite 

• ....so quite pleased with that given the route was much tougher than Dublin will be.

Carl, to answer your question, yes I do feel a little stronger and (the garmin says) faster than at the same point of my spring marathon training. However I am very aware anything can happen in those last 6 miles!

Half on Sunday so wondering should I drop a session later this week as a mini taper? 

• Hi Guys

Been a busy old month August, two week stints on-call and generally busy all round so haven’t had much chance to see what has been going on. Fitting in training has been a challenge, but I hace just about managed it. Not got quite the miles in Ricky and Carl are clocking up but been ticking over.

Sorry to have missed you in Edinburgh Ali, unfortunately I was called out that Saturday morning anyway. I haven’t been down to the Cramond run yet I must register for the parkrun. I wonder if they have an Oirish double??

Some good running to be seen all round guys and as I touch wood everybody sounds nice a fit and strong…

I managed to get in just 36 miles this week. Monday – rest,Tuesday – Hill reps 5.5 miles. Missed  the Wednesday session due to work. Thursday AM -  7 miles steady – 53:17, splits: 7:47,7:34,7:32,7:20,7:26,7:26,8:04. Thursday PM – Paced Run – 5k, splits: 6:42,6:47,7:34,0:55 (last mile is trail up hill, but just went for that to help the glutes! Friday – Gym conditioning, Saturday – LSR – 17.25 miles – 2:22 – splits: 7:31,7:54,8:26,8:21,8:34,7:59,8:09,8:40,8:12,8:01,8:04,8:35,8:54,8:31,8:26,1:45. This turned out to be a nice run. I got up early about 6:45 and wanted to get out early as we had folk around for a barbecue and ended up heading out after an drink a banana and an energy bar. Grabbed the camelback and a couple of gels and out. Once out I started doubting whether I would get the run completed as I was feeling a bit under fuelled. Then just had a notion to run through Edinburgh and work my way around back home. That was the tonic, explored a few different routes found a few new paths (and hill runs!) and got back home feeling fine with more left in the tank. Knees were fine and felt great the rest of the day (maybe that was the red wine!) Sunday – Recover run – 3.25 miles, splits: 7:46,7:21,8:10,2:00 just ran relaxed.

Total for the week: 36 miles

Although not a huge mileage this week I am feeling good, and positive. Well that is August out the way now for September...Thinking about the Dumfries HM on the 22nd.

• It was also my birthday on the 23rd, my wife bought me a heart monitor for my Garmin, not sure whether she was worried about my health now I have hit 44 and after seeing my face at the end of the Haddington HM!? It is quite interesting to see what is happening when you upload it to the training app. That is as far as I have gone just now but may go a bit deeper at a later date...

• Afternoon all. I've had a week completely away from running as I thought it would be good to recharge my batteries and rest the knee. I've been shovelling food and drink down me like its running out if fashion and I'm another who has celebrated my birthday this week. I've been off work this week too so we went to Scarborough for the day, to Chatsworth fair yesterday where we spent most of the time watching the gundogs retrieving etc and I've built a cupboard and some shelves for the kitchen which, I don't mind saying myself, have turned out pretty damned good for such a novice carpenter !

Reading back it sounds like marathon training is going well for everyone and there have been some good, if not hard, sessions. I will be back on it tomorrow and plan to do plenty of short sessions, I must say as nice as its been to have a week off I've missed it and am raring to go again

• Wow, so much has gone on since I last dropped by, that it would take hours to read through! Anyone give  me a summary or where everyone's at?? image

I've been away in Germany much of the summer and decided to take most of August off running. I just felt I needed the break. But I'm now 2 runs back in (both 4 milers that felt hard!!) and raring to go again. I am down to do the Salford 10K on Sunday, but it's just going to be a training run in my eyes, my speed is way down at the moment! 

So, please someone fill me in on the news!!

• Ricky W wrote (see)

so I think that's 11 weeks of p&d done - 7 wks to go unbelievably!

Ricky - was reading this and started to panic. My plan says 8 weeks to go. I know I am going to need the extra week. I must say that the 12 week P&D 55mile  plan seems quite tough as you go from low mileage to running 48 miles in 4 weeks !! I have never run 48 miles in a week before.

Carter - good to hear from you. I guessed you must have been away. Sounds like the rest will have done you the world of good even if there was a lot of food and no doubt some Magners. image

• A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all you guys who have had birthdays recently- they seem to all have come at once.  Mine is a week tomorrow image

Carl- huge mileage- well done!  I must say that I really admire people who can always make the time for the miles.  I try hard when marathon training but god it is a slog sometimes.  I definitely don't do as high mileage as some people when training for a marathon but always a good few weeks over 40 miles...ironically when I was training for Edinburgh, I did probably the lowest mileage that you could get away with for a marathon training, and still came out with 4:04 which I was over the bloody moon with.  For London, I then went to the other extreme and possibly focussed on the miles TOO much, got caught up and felt exhausted, and then ended up having a duff run.  This time hopefully somewhere in between.

Anyway that's a tangent and a half, but as you asked, my running plans this week coming...I will be following my schedule Mon-Fri with a couple of 6 milers, an 8, and a 4...the weekend calls for the last 21M long run.  However I'm doing the Perthshire Half Marathon on the Saturday so am not doing this.  I will instead be using Sunday as a rest day and then doing my last long run on Monday of the following week.  I don't see what difference a day makes in terms of postponing the LR and I am looking forward to my half.  After that LR on Monday 9th, it is taper taper taper time and after maybe not doing this as effectively as I could before London, I am going to RELAX and let my body feel good and rested before Loch Ness.

• Ricky- You are going to kill Dublin Marathon, I honestly can't wait to see what time you pull out the bag.  Great great running.

Nell- great balanced week of running, and you're right not to get caught up in the fact that it wasn't a huge amount of miles.  Quality runs, good work.  Oh and Cramond's tail runner wasn't nearly as handsome or charming as I imagine Oirish to be.  When I was running back to the finish and we were passing the slower runners in the opposite direction, he was literally walking behind a lady who was struggling and looking very bored.  I did think at the time that if it was Oirish he would be charming that woman into at least picking the pace up into a jog!

Carter- nice to have you back. image

Rachel- nice to have you back too and hope you enjoy your running.  As to filling you in...I'm sure there's too much to possibly say, but incase you hadn't noticed, this thread is getting super speedy, I am losing sight of them all as they disappear into the distance in front of me...

• Oh and my run tonight- a lovely 8.5 miles at a steady pace, including one killer 2 mile hill in the middle- very enjoyable in the late sunshine. 

• Hi all,

Blimey we could throw a blanket over our birthdays or so it seems.

Once again lots of great running going on, even Carter has sobered up long enough to check in.image

I've had a pretty good week runningwise, I felt like I'd been shot in the bum when I woke up Friday after my hill session but a lot of rolling, cycling and stretching seemed to do the trick and got shot of it.

Saturday I did a five mile tempo run before taking my friends 11 year old around Parkrun, he did really well and I have to say it was really enjoyable and he has already bagged me for doing it again next week! I'm Race Director next week so I'll be starting it, throwing the megaphone over my shoulder and be off and running.

I must say I'm highly flattered by Alibali's description of me, sadly miles from the mark but I'll take it all the same. It's a shame that the tailrunner wasn't too enthusiastic, it's a tricky one because by nature the runners near the back aren't always big on conversation and being to cheery can irk some people when they're hanging out of their arse.

Today I did one of "those" long runs, 26.4 miles and the first long run I have done in my minimalist vibrams after trying to ease into them. I didn't feel too bad and  haven't got any aches or pains above and beyond the usual although my toes are a bit tender, a situation not helped by my clumsy mutt treading all over them four times in the first half I was back indoors.

I might have sworn once or twice.

So that is 51 miles this week and my third marathon distance run in four weeks. The good news is that I am at a beer festival next weekend so marathon number 4 is not on the agenda.

• Carl - yes, plenty of Magners image How is the training going and particularly the LT runs ?

Rachel - good to hear from you again. To update you with my progress; my knee is still poo so I wont be running Chester. A few months of slow, short runs and see how things go. At this rate I may end up playing golf again !

Ali - not long for Loch Ness now ! Good luck at Perthshire.

Oirish - just another 26.4 miles eh, not bad ! How is the speed work going ?

I'm back on it today with a gentle 4ish miles at lunchtime. Forgot to mention that I took Harvey (the mutt) for a walk on Saturday and we both got attacked by a swarm of bees. I've never been stung before and wasnt prepared for how much they hurt. Poor old Harvey got covered in them but seems to have recovered now

• Hi Oirish, You are a monster, another 26 miles! what are the Vibrams you have?

Hi Ali, The Perthsire Marathon and HM got a good review in one of the running mags lately. Looks a great run.

Hi Rachel, It is amazing how you get back into the swing of things after a few runs.

Best to have a rest Carter, I think we often ignore what the body is telling us, then unfortunately it is too late....don't like the sound of those nasty bees!

Ricky/Carl Hats off to you for sticking to the high miles, I am not sure I could fit them all in, and if I did I think my wife would fill me in image mind you I think she has resigned herself and humours me these days...

• Hi Guys - Question if I may?

Anybody use New Balance running shoes and if you do how do you find them? I am a Saucony guy but have seen some NB Minimus MR00's for sale on the sports shoes website for 49.99, interesting they weigh in at 181g and the trail shoe (MT00) weighs in at 124g. These are vibram outsoles both with a 0mm drop.

• Nell - I'm always calling them Vibrams but they are Vivobarefoots that have been kicking around my cupboard for a couple of years as I was given them the same week I broke my foot and it took a fair while to get my achilles to play ball just walking nevermind anything else.

I introduced them to the odd short run through the summer as they take it out on your lower legs when you first convert over to them and can seriously hamper your mileage as you get use to your new foot position. They work wonders for building your calves mind, even my chicken legs are starting to see some definition. I think mine are 4mm drop.

I don't know if it was the same model but I was looking at a pair of Minimus recently and I liked them a lot. They get good reviews. The great thing about New Balance is that if you don't get on with them they're nice enough to wear them as casual trainers.

Regards doing the long runs I've been doing I do have to take the odd moment to reflect how I am performing at the moment, right now things are going really well and I haven't a single grumble. I think pysically and psychologically I am far better suited to longer distances, I was listening to Sir David Attenborough's autobiography on audiobook yesterday and the miles just ticked by, it was really very relaxing. Now I have got a grip of running my slow runs actually slowly they feel comparatively comfortable.

Carter - I've been concentrating on my faster stuff midweek throwing in speed sessions and hillwork which looking at the races I've done lately seem to be paying dividends. One thing I've noticed about doing these long runs is that the shorter sessions seem really short, for example the second five miles I did last week of the 10 mile race seemed to be over before I knew it. It is only the 5ks that I really haven't got a grip with, although I PB'd recently I struggle with them so much but i think they might just be horrible by nature.

I have a 10k not this coming Saturday but next so that'll give me a good feel for where I am at with speed. 

• Nell - I cant help you with NB shoes I'm afraid, I have been Adidas and currently in Brookes.

Oirish - sounds like you're in a real good running place at the moment, let's hope it last for a long time.

A little 4.3 miles for me at lunchtime. Considering what I have consumed this last week it was relatively easy and my heart rate stayed where it was meant to, which is promising

• Carter - Don't go the Golf route, it is probably the only sport that can compete with running for messing with your mind.

It must be so frustrating for you, everytime you seem to be back we lose you again. I remember when I was struggling after my foot injury, I could barely get out of bed, hadn't run for 4 months and facing surgery and being the most miserable git and despondent as could be. It seems almost impossible to see a way forward but you'll get there mate. Slow and steady is the key.

• Oirish - I played golf for many a year before I started running. I got my handicap down to 12 at one stage but like you say you could be a world beater for 5 holes and the rest of the round would be the biggest pile of dross ever. At least I never got injured ! It is frustrating, I've been having issues with the ITB for 6 months now, how time flies. Slow and steady.....

Carl - how did you get on at Regents Park ?

September 1st - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

September 8th - Langham 10K - Oirish

September 8th - Salford 10k - Rachel

September 8th - Bridgwater Half Marathon - Big_G

• Hi Oirish, Thanks for that. I am in Saucony Kinvaras at the moment and have been running in them for about 8 months, they are also 4mm drop, before that I used Triumph 9 which were 8mm, so might give the NB a go. I am swithering between them or the saucony hattori which are also a 0mm drop. I will let you know how I get on with them. To be honest the kinvaras are great and only £47 from sportsshoes and you usually get a discount form through the door for 10/15% regularly. Think I will stay in them for the long runs for the near future...I don't listen to anything whilst running as I have a head full of nonsense to keep me going image

Glad to hear you are back on track Carter, touch wood I have had no return of the dreaded IT Band since upping the long runs...fingers crossed. As mentioned before I have started building in a regular hill rep session on a Tuesday and work away on the resistant bands through the week. I do one or two barbell squats if I am in the gym working the upper body but try not to do too much heavy stuff...think it is working.

• Nell - I'm moving slowly towards a 0mm drop and like you intend to do it in instalments. TBH I think now most mainstream manufacturers have got on board the minimalist bus that the difference between models isn't particularly wide, after all just how much can you do with a lightweight shoe with no drop?

To think 4 years ago I saw my first pair of vibrams running shoes worn by an American friend and I remember thinking "they'll never catch on"

This goes some way to explaining why Messers Nike and Asic are sat in their solid gold mansions eating Quails eggs served from the navels of supermodels and I am having a "Chicken tonight" stir fry.

• Nell- I have been a New Balance loyal for a while and they're all I've raced in for at least 1.5 years or so....  I wore the 890v2 then onto the 890v3 now which I love and have in a few colours...one for each outfit you know.

They are not minimalist but an 8mm drop, nice and lightweight though and I've never felt comfier shoes that really don't pinch anywhere.  Forget I'm wearing them.

I am looking to move to lower drops and am looking at what else New Balance has that I can try next- it's just hard to buy another shoe when I love the ones I'm in now so much.  But I want to experiment a bit too.

• Did just over 4 miles today after work.  My colleague who has been getting into running recently was going running too so I said we'd go out together.  We were going a good pace at first, about 8:30 min/miles but after a couple she was struggling.  She asked me to go on ahead whilst she jogged slower but I was quite happy going slow as it was the perfect tonic after my hilly run last night.  So we had an enjoyable jog/chat along the beach and she was proud of herself afterwards because it was still one of the fastest paced runs she'd done.  It has been a glorious day here too so was glad to make the most of the evening after work.

• ..lol! love the analogy Oirish.

Ali/Oirsh, I am normally a 7 but with saucony find an 8 is a nice fit. Are NB about the same?

Good to see you helping out a friend Ali, you have just reminded me I must start back with my pal on a Wed morning. he is trying to get back to running, but I have just been too busy lately... I do enjoy the chat too ;0)

• Well if it helps I am normally a 5 and find a 5 in NB fits perfectly too. So just quite true to regular shoe size. Men's may be different, obv I am not sure!

• Seems to have been a busy day or so on here.

Welcome back Rachel and Nell. 

Never thought I would see so much about running shoes. I switched from Addidas to Mizuno this summer and must say that I find them great. Much lighter and a better fit.  Need to think about getting my second pair to run them in before the marathon.

Oirish - my autospellingchevkeryhingy on my tablet keeps wanting to call you Parish image. Another bleed in' marathon in training from you. Words fail me they really do. Well done in any case.

Carter - dread the LT runs. They are tough. But no doubt there are tougher runs ahead. 

Did not run the 10k at the weekend. Having run the 10mile race when I was back home in Kinsale last weekend it would have muckef up my training too much. The mileage as more important to me last week. As well as doing the 48 miles per my plan, I also hot 20 plus miles of offroad cycling in, 20 lengths of a 25m pool front crawl and an hour and a half of tennis.

This week is a cutback for me. Only 43 miles !!

Must get it all in by Friday night as can do no running the weekend. Have found myself in Copenhagen today / tomorrow. Must be up and out early in the morning and will not get home until late tomorrow night so it looks as if I will be doing an LT run Wednesday morning before work, a GA run Thursday evening after and my LR on Friday night.

I did sneak in a 7 mile run from my hotel to and around the lakes here earlier tonight. It was a bit chilly but pleasant enough. I forgot to bring my gsrmin so used run keeper on my phone. Completed the 7 mikes in 53mins 50 secs which equates to 7min38sec / mile. It felt tough towards the end which is no surprise on the back of last weeks efforts. But I was pleased that despite the heavy legs I was able to push it out. 

Must be a continental thing but there were loses of people doing a lap of these 5 lakes. And some werte going really fast.

And one last thing. Have been having real problems getting my garmin to charge. It seems to be the pins in the cradle that are the problem. Anyone else have this trouble or know how to overcome it. Otherwise I need to try and get Runners Need to replace it as it will still be under guarantee. No doubt that will not be straightforward and a nuisance as I will be without a proper watch.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all - lots of good running going on as always!  Great to see.

I got a 5-mile off road race in on Friday evening, which was really well attended by my club as the race is part of the Club Championship (I'm not doing the Championship).  It was a cracking course, but the last mile was up a steep hill which just seemed to go on and on.  I'm afraid I had to walk some of it, which I was p***** off about but some people who were walking actually overtook me whilst I was trying to keep going so I walked.  Anyway, I did it in 38:39 so it was a good run out.  

I then got a 20-miler in on Sunday, and felt good so I was pleased with that.  I remember before my marathon in May that after one of the 20-milers I did I wasn't sure if I could have completed the full 26.2, but I didn't have that issue this time so that is encouraging.

I'm doing less miles this week before what is billed as a "flat and fast" half marathon on Sunday.  We'll see how that goes, but strangely I'm a bit nervous about the food as it's an 11am start.  Normally, my halfs are done and dusted before this one starts.

For info, the profile of that 5-miler I did is:

/members/images/465898/Gallery/Forest_Flyer.jpg

I'm getting my bathroom redone at the moment and the chap doing it has obviously picked up on the fact that I like fried eggs (call me a simple soul, but for me a simple fried egg with some salt in some nice white bread is up there in my list of culinary delights....).  Yesterday he brought with him 6 bantam and 6 chicken eggs, and today he is bringing 6 duck eggs as he has the free-range birds at his house.  My wife and I had the bantam eggs yesterday and my wife will be making a Victoria sponge cake with the duck eggs, so I'm happy with that image

I've known this guy for a while, but it turns out he used to be a professional footballer.  I'm not a massive football fan, but he played at Wimbledon as part of the "crazy gang" years and shared rooms with Vinnie Jones etc.  I bet he has some stories to tell!  I only found out about it because the plasterer he arranged to do the ceiling mentioned it to me.  I asked him about it and he just says that it seems like a lifetime ago now and so doesn't really bring it up with people.  I Googled his name and he played for a lot of clubs, but Wimbledon was the "top" club he played for.

• Big_G - what is the name of this footballer ?

Carl - maybe reduce your mileage this week so it fits in with what's happening at home rather than follwoing the plan to the letter ? It sounds like you're going to be cramming a lot in this week plus the fact that you are working away too. Re the Garmin, fortunately I dont have any issues with mine. I thought you returned it a few weeks ago because you were having problems with it ?

A nice easy 4 miles into work for me this morning and another easy plod at lunchtime.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - his name is Robbie Turner.  He's a really nice chap.

• Big G - A still warm boiled egg sandwich is my snack of choice. That or a fish finger sarnie is pretty much perfection in my eyes.

• Thanks for the help on the running boots guys!

Good run Big_G, that was a wicked thing of them to put that hill in at the end, I would say! Can't say I really remember Robbie Turner, the strangest thing I remember about the crazy gang era was laurie Cunningham playing for them....if ever there was a mismatch?

Carl, I have had problems with my Garmin on a couple of occasions. I had to send the watch directly back to garmin. Service was good. I did drop the watch once and shattered the screen as this was not covered by the warranty I think I paid 60 odd pound to get a replacement. when you send the watch back, just send the watch nothing else (ie:charger etc..)