RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Big G- well, what can I say, I've been there done that when it comes to feeling disappointed at a race.  But listen, great (I mean great) time considering, but I have learned not every race can go your way.  It's all good training for next time/something bigger.  And take some consolation in the fact I would've been over the moon with your time :P

What is your next event, G?

• Great race times Ali and Ricky, well done image always enjoy the race reports from all you guys.

been back from France a week, only managed a couple Of ruas out there but they were lovely. Slowly gettiing back into regular running again, looking forward to Oxford half next month.  Originally it was going to be a crack at a PB (had been hoping for around 1.35) but that went out the window a while back with tha ankle problems.  Thankfully my brother is also running the race, he says that he is looking for anything under 2hrs so I've said ill run with him. Really looking foreard to running just with the aim of completing the course with someone to keep me company rather than all the pain that goes with pushing myself.  Judging by this training pace, I'm hopeful that we will be a good bit under 2hrs.

• Morning all.

Ali – great result for you at Perth on what sounds a hilly route. Glad to see you enjoyed it too and are positive going in to Loch Ness where you should be good to go sub 4.

Big _ G – well done on getting to the start line under such conditions ! I guess it was always going to be tough to run a fast one if you were feeling a tad delicate. As you say, looking back 12 months and seeing how far you have come on in that time must be pleasing for you.

Nell – some good quick miles for you last week.

Andrew – good to see you getting back into things and hopefully the bad ankle is a thing of the past.

Ricky – brilliant time mate and thankfully it’s an official time too.  You have been running really well the last few months and you certainly seem to be benefitting from the speed work at the club. That time must be giving you food for thought for you target at Dublin ?

• Another ex-footballer spotted by me on Saturday night. Mrs C and I went out for a couple of beers and Chris Waddle was sat in one bar with his mates.

Longshaw fell race for me on Saturday. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do this race when I woke up as I was feeling delicate from the night before but I went anyway. It was a lovely morning so we started off in a field where the sheep dog trials had just been held. The first couple of miles are all uphill over some tricky terrain but I felt quite good and was plodding along at a nice steady pace (a steady pace for a fell race is about 3 mins per mile slower than my HM pace). Then we decended into a dip where it was really boggy from the previous days rain before ascending up a 34% hill. The last mile or so was a 'speedy descent through the heather and bracken which again was really muddy.

A thoroughly enjoyable 5.8 miles covered at an average of 10:42 with no adverse affect on the knee

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - the next event is currently Dartmoor Vale Marathon in October (I say "currently" as I'm umming and ahhing about dropping it back to the Half).  It definitely won't be a fast one though (it's a hilly course) but I'm hoping to just get out and enjoy it and run with a few club mates.  I'm even thinking about not running with the Garmin, which is unheard of for me!  I only entered it to give me something to focus on over the summer, and from that point of view it worked image  The plan is still to have a crack at sub-4 next Spring for the marathon as I think I will have a better base with the consitency I've managed this year.

It's not that long now until the London Marathon ballot results is it?  Is anyone in the ballot?  I'm in, plus I'll be in the draw for the places my club will receive.  My club operates a system whereby you have to earn 4 marshalling points (1 point per event marshalled at) to be in with a chance of getting a place.  Last year the club had 3 places and  (I think) 12 people qualified to be in the draw, which takes place at the Xmas do.

• Yes G I'm in the ballot for London...God knows why I put myself through that, after last year!  But it is somewhat compelling... though I have since entered Edinburgh so actually I don't think I will take my ballot place if I get it.  I love Edinburgh.

You definitely have a sub 4 marathon with the times you've achieved and the base you've developed this year.  I am sure of it.  If I were you I'd still do the Dartmoor Marathon as I think that it'd be great to have a practice run at marathon length this year, even if it's not sub 4.  And anyway, you might surprise yourself with how well you do.

• Big_G - I agree with Ali, you might as well give Dartmoor a go but dont put any pressure on yourself for a time and as you say maybe run 'naked'.

A nice lunchtime run of 4 miles for me in the sunshine down by the river; it is now peeing it down with rain though ! I included 2 x 1 miles of mid-foot striking and the transition seems to be going ok, My last 2 runs have also been pain free in the knee. I hope I'm not counting my chickens too early by saying this

• Carter it is nice to hear from you again.

I did 5 miles today.  Actually just to collect two parcels I had at the Royal Mail depot.  I thought I might as well jog there.  It is up a huge hill.  2.5 miles up- then 2.5 miles down, parcels in hand.  Just slowly slowly.  Legs feeling a little stiff from Saturday and I am tired.  

I had originally planned to do the last LR on my schedule today (it was meant to be yesterday, on the schedule, at 21m).

However I decided against doing it at all- I am tired after my half and didn't think it would help my confidence any.  Call me foolish but I don't see what another 21m run 3 weeks before a marathon is going to do.  I have done a good few LRs that I've been happy with on this training spell and I didn't want to add another for the sake of it.  My schedule has 15m this Sunday and I am more happy with that.  I know plans differ and some will have tapers that are 4 weeks long, some more like 2 or 3.  The one I was following (a RW plan) is quite a short taper period so I guess I'm just making it longer.  Does anyone think that's a silly thing to miss at this stage?

I am getting nervous at this stage for Loch Ness!!!

• Hi Ali, You are quite right binning the 21 miler. What you did in the HM would have been at a higher pace than the LSR so it pretty much equals out I reckon.

Hi Big_G, You have to go with how you feel I guess. But if you don’t feel up to the full Marathon I wouldn’t push it and feel miserable.

Hi Carter, Glad to hear you are coming along. That hill running will help build up the glutes and hips and do wonders for the ITB. I have built in hill reps once a week as this helps build all the muscle groups equally.

Great splits Ricky, gives you a boost getting a PB with the marathon on the horizon…

I was aching a bit last night after my run yesterday, so had a cold bath this morning, I was scheduled for a visit to the physio today also which was handy. I must admit certainly did the trick, legs feel great now. I have scheduled to have an easy week.

• Thanks Nell, I think I needed the reassurance.

Cold baths- how do you do them?!  I know they're good for you but they're just so unpleasant I can't bare it at all.

Make sure you take that easy week and let the legs recover a bit.

• You are welcome Ali, you will easily have done more in the HM than the planned LSR.

Get in the bath first and then turn the cold water on, don't fill the bath first and then get in...wowza, not good!

Try it after a long run it is amazing how it soothes the legs, yes I am taking it easy this week. The physio could feel the strain in the back of my legs after the run, and the front was not stressed. Which is good, it means the exercises and the posture are on track.

Mind you the elbow in the glutes brings tears to my eyes  image

• Big G, yea I'm also in the ballot again but I've also got a place in Brighton which is only the week before so will defer if I'm lucky enough to get a place. (Promised myself I'd enter each year but never run two consecutive yrs as I want to do other spring maras) your club ballot sounds a fantastic idea. I still toy with the idea of joining a club but not sure about the commitment with my two little ones.

Carter, sounds really promising that your knee is holding up on a variety of runs now. But keeping everything crossed for you all the same!

Ali, I've never done the cold/ice bath thing, but they really are meant to help.  I'm told one of the best ways to deal with them is to sit/lay in the bath and run the cold water around you. This allows your body to adjust to the temp better than submerging yourself in already cold water

• Nice one Andrew, i think Brighton sounds a great race! Would like to run that one day. 

• Carter -great trail running: they sound like a lot of fun but bloody hard at the same time! Fingers crossed re: the knee!

I'm in the ballot for London and like BigG will also have the club ballot for another chance if I don't get in.

Andrew - I put off joining a club for the same commitment reasons as you (2 little ones also) but I have realised there is no pressure for 100% attendance. They meet twice a week and I go to the tues session. It is very relaxed and many miss a Tuesday here & there re other commitments. I must say I think the club sessions are a major factor in my recent improvements & I have also made a few new pals for Sunday long runs into the bargain!

Where have Oirish & Carl got to?!

• Ali - I agree with Nell about binning the planned long run. A good half marathon race and your 15 miler this week should do the trick. Have you settle on a target time for Loch Ness yet ? I'm assuming this will have hills and therefore isnt a PB course ?

Nell - why do you go to see the physio rather than have a sports massage if you're not actually injured as such ? Re the cold baths I have never done this. However, when I ran the Lake Coniston trail HM I went for a dip in the Lake afterwards. Considering it was such a tough race I can honestly say my legs were fine after I had been in the lake. Maybe there is something in it.

Andrew - Cheers, I'm touching wood and all that. I too am in the ballot for London.

Ricky - fell races are great fun, do you have any near you and if they do would you not be interested in giving one a go ? I'm another one who keeps thinking about joining a running club but I am a miserable git and like my own company ! That said, it has certainly helped you so it should be something I really should seriously consider. Maybe Oirish has got lost on one of his training marathons ? And maybe Carl has used one of Oirish's routes and got lost too ? 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Regarding running clubs, I was actually quite reluctant to join one but it's been the main catalyst to the improvements in my running over the last 12 months.  Within a session or two I was thinking that I wished I had joined one years ago.  Basically, it provides friendly competition regularly and I push myself harder that these sessions that I do when I'm on my own.

My club has some very quick people, but also caters for brand new runners and improvers.  It is also very sociable, which is another reason why I like it.  There are other clubs nearby and they seem cater for what I'd term more serious runners and although I'm sure those clubs are very good, I'm glad I went for the club that I did.

• Good morning one and all, it's been a while. I've had a hectic week or so and everytime I've considered popping on here my situation has changed.

Before I bring you upto date I have to say a big well done all around to you all there has been some fabulous running and great performances getting done. 

There is good news an bad news for me and news that I haven't quite made my mind up on.

The good news is it was another 51 miles in the bank this week including 17 miles on Friday @ 8:07 avg

The bad news is that because of work commitments I am not going to be able to take time off to do Dublin. I'm changing jobs and this coincides with a week away at a conference. It is a massive disappointment as I was looking forward to meeting a few of you but sometimes being a grown up isn't always easy.

The Um, ah news is that I will be doing a 30 mile 'Ultra' locally on the Sunday of that weekend instead. The Stortford 30. It's less than 4 miles more how hard can it be? image 

Hopefully this week will calm down now that I've got work sorted and I can stop running around like a mad thing and can concentrate on getting out and running around like a mad thing.

• My race report for Sunday's Langham 10k.........

I didn't do it, I mistakingly believed it had same day entry! By the time I had realised my error it was full up.

Wait there is more! 

I knew a fair few people going so I agreed to go along and run the Funrun with the lad I do Parkruns with, incidentally he got a new PB by 1:18 on Saturday, Yeaay go us!!

So I ran the 7 miles to the place, said my Hi's, hello's and good lucks, reminded them I'd already ran further than they were racing and sent them on there way. We then did the Funrun and I had a half pound cheese and bacon burger whilst waiting for the 10kers to finish and very nice it was too.

I was a bit peeved as there were PBs aplenty, the course is fast, as flat as a pancake and with long, straight stretches, everyone loved it. In the kids 4k my friends daughter was the 3rd overall and first girl home beating all the female age groups above her so we stayed for the presentation and then I ran the home fuelled by burger and cake.

It was a really lovely, fun but rewarding morning.

• Oirish, I like the style, missing the marathon so decide to do something else but longer, superb! Great running last Friday by the way...

Carter, Sorry I do go to the physio for a sports massage, and whilst she is hammering ten bells out of my legs she interrogates me as to what I am doing and offers the appropriate advice. So a double whammy hour session all for the lovely sum of £20! I like to keep on top of the ITB issues and she can give me feedback through the massage as to what feels tight and gritty etc, this helps me to keep on top of things. Usually on the build up to a marathon I go every two weeks, but as I am having an easy week she has sent me away and not to come back for 4 weeks as she thinks everything feels ok and in reality I will be back after a 3 week proper training period. She is  certainly not a money grabber, and my legs always feel great after a session...

• I also must get round to joining a running club and it is like Ricky says you don't have to go to every session. I find it quite funny that you hear people at clubs are so friendly, and certainly on organised run/races you can always get a good conversion with other running folk..... So why oh why do I sometimes, no usually feel  I am invisible when I run the streets of Edinburgh and bid good day to folk, only for them to look straight through me    image

• Hi Andrew, Brighton sounds a good marathon, I have heard good things about it. Have you run it before?

• Carter- the Loch Ness course divides people (I have been reading every review ever written...), lots say it is tough because it has a few substantial hills, but then lots of others have made PBs due to the fact that despite the hills involved, over all it is a large decline and the first 10 miles or so are gently downhill all the way.

I am torn.  I wanted to go for sub 4 but am being realistic.  I think I'm going to start at 9:15 pace and see how it feels.  If I could keep it up I'd come in a few minutes over the 4 hour mark but still at a PB (PB so far being Edinburgh, my first ever marathon in 2012).  If I felt OK I could aim for under 4.  If I didn't, I could slow down.  But 9:15 sounds quite a comfortable pace.

However I am well aware it may be tough.  So I won't feel disappointed if it turns out that pace is too much for me.  I am going to give it a shot though.

• Nellie, no I've not ran Brighton before, spent a stag weekend there a month ago and it's lovely down there so really looking forward to it. I've heard lots of nice things about the race and atmosphere. Also I've booked Friday and sat night for the family so will be like a mini holiday for us.  

Oirish, 30miles? That's brave, id love to have a go at an ultra but just not sure my body would stand it

Ricky, there are two clubs both about 10-15 min drive away, tbh I think laziness is the main thing stopping me. But I'd love the social side of things as I used to play rugby until having my ACL reconstructed a few yrs back and I really do miss that side of things

• Ran 10k this eve. 49 mins. Bit of a struggle aim places but thank goodness for my Garmin as my mapmyrun ap decided that I was running just over 4min miles! Felt like I was going well but a tad off that kind of pace still

• Just seen, my autocorrect has changed Nel to Nellie again! People will think it's my private pet man me for you soon mate!

• Just embrace it andrew- stop blaming the 'autocorrect' image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

My Club mates keep going on about me doing an Ultra.  There is a tough club 32-miler we put on called the Dartmoor Discovery which has 600m total ascent.  I marshalled this year and it was really good seeing all the runners, but I'm not sure if I could do it.  It sells out very quickly so if I was vaguely interested I'd have to enter and then transfer my number if I didn't want to do it nearer the time.

• I think I'd go for an easier one first big g then that's me, it may be a real advantage to do your first one with a bunch of runners from your club. Lots of moral support.

another 5.5 mile tonight in 43 mins. Feel like I'm running through treacle at the moment. Not sure mid my form/posture is a little off, but I suspect it's just getting used to running after work again and the minor injuries Im carrying.

• Hi folks. Loads of good stuff going on here for the last few days which is great.

I have been a bit quiet and am now in a bit of a quandary.

You might remember that I said last week that I needed to get all my training in before the weekend.

Reason was that I had a minor operation scheduled for Saturday morning. This was originally scheduled for July (perfect timing to not screw up my race plans) but it had got cancelled the day before. Because of previous medical history I needed to have it under General Anesthetic.

As it was supposed to be relatively straightforward I had figured that I would have been back out running by now.

Well the op took longer than expected on the day and has sort of messed me up for this week. It is only today that I am feeling normal again. I should be able to get out running again by the weekend but of course I will need one or two shorter runs to get back into it.

So effectively I have missed a week at a bad time. The plan this week had me doing 48 miles.

With it only being a 12 week plan, I am concerned that a week out now is going to play havoc with my training and preparedness for Dublin.

I have miles to catch up which of course I cannot. And of course I always felt I was trying to catch up on miles as I was only doing a 12 week plan and not 18 week as is more sensible. Having had my ankle issues before I embarked on this I sortof embarked on this without the steady buildup into the 12 weeks that was probably needed.

Maybe I have had too much time to think over the last few days but the mind games are in full flow.

One part of me says that I will just not be ready. I know I can complete the 26 miles but I will not be in the shape I was hoping to be in so a PB is most likely out of the question. And 26 miles is a long way to run knowing at the start that it is going to be a bit of a slog.

Another part of me says that I will be fresher having had some downtime and that this might actually benefit (glass half full approach).

The problem is I need to book the flights and accomodation which best case is 150 notes. Big outlay just to turn up but not race.

So I need your advice. What should I do ?

Like many of you, I too am in the ballot for London.

Like others I have been contemplating joining a running club. I have found one reasonably local that run on Tuesdays, Thursday and Sundays. You can pick and choose and they seem to cater for all levels. Thursdays is track night. Sundays long runs of different paces and Tuesdays is a medium run of different distances linked to ability. Winter these tend to be road routes and in the summer they use the Heath.

If I am doing Dublin, I will wait until it is over before going along and seeing if it works for me. If I am not maybe I will go along sooner.

A tad confused at the moment.

I do have the Royal Parks Half on Oct 6th to lok forward to.