RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    At the outskirts of Paris. 10 minutes to the station. A bit grey here.

Advice from those who have done Paris before is that it will be cool and base layer and gloves needed but also sunglasses due to glare under the cloud cover.
  • Woohooo Carl! I am loving the frequent upfdates!

Carter, not good, not good at all....but it's not over yet! Get stretching!!!

• Carter - get on your bike - get some XT in to maintain fitness.

Carl - great race no: the first two digits are your age "20" and the last three describe your speed as that of a jet airliner "737" .... must be a sign imageimageimage

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Ricky - if only that were the case.

About to enter the Expo. Dropped my stuff off at the hotel en route.

My weather app says it is sunny and 6 deg.

There is no sun and it is cloudy and cold but all depends on what wind is blowing.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Running number got. Has my name and nationality on it. Nice touch.

Had another snack.

Have to say that carb loading is so boring. The idea of overloading with carbs which makes you feel really full so that you can run is a strange concept. Right at this moment I would collapse with all the food I have eaten.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Liking the updates image

I got the below text message from my mate who is in Paris:

Obsessed...a word used by the sane to describe those sat picking the grit from the soles of their running shoes the day before a race...I think this may be a step too far!
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Met up with the Paris thread group and had yes another bowl of pasta.

Have got all the clobber out and checked. Running number on. Gels attached to running bel.

It was cold out there tonight and I think it will be cold again in the morning with it warming up. Probably going to go with a base layer but no gloves.

Breakfast stuff lined up. Hot water coming at 6am for my porridge.

Going to get ready for bed now, watch some tv and get some rest and hopefully sleep.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Next time you hear from me it will be all over.
  • Carl - have a good one!

Carter - get some more massage, stretching and cross training in. You can't overdo it. You aren't doing enough yet!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm up and about to watch on Eurosport. It looks like good conditions.

I've had my porridge and done my pre-race stretches as if I was taking part, but I'm now sitting on the sofa having a coffee image

For info, there is what looks to be a good app available where you can follow progress of runners.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Urrrm, it looks a bit chaotic at the start. Some guy ran right into a cameraman and the elites had to dodge around a lady who was out for her Sunday morning run.

Carl's safely through though image
  • Oooooh it's finally arrived, our first thread race day how exciting is this?

I'll be off for my 20 mile LSR about 10ish so I'll have to catch up on everything after that, although with my sense of direction I might just pass Carl anyway and find out in person how it is going.

Best of luck Carl

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl is through 5km in 25:50
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    That's just under 4 hours at the same pace for the rest of the race
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Halfway at 1:47:35.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    1:47:35 at half way point. He is going along quite nicely so far
  • This is amazing!!! How are you guys tracking him?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    The camera keeps following him, it's live on Eurosport
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rachel...there is a free iPhone app where you can track particular runners via their name or number.
  • ooo...I feel like I'm virtually there! Go Carl!!

• Just in from my LSR - 21mls @ 9.10 pace... right that's the boring bit over..

So go Carl! He's started well.. nice easy pace and seems to have picked up pace well and sub 3.45 is now on the cards! imageimageimage

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    3:13:19 @ 35k. Come on Carl, nearly there
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    3:58:40 - a massive new PB - not bad for a cripple with man flu. Great run Carl
  • Wow - against all odds! Great run after what he has just had to contend with recently - chuffed for him!

Bet he's glad he went afterall!
  • Well done Carl....that is wonderful news x
  • I wonder was he feeling the hammy - seems to have slowed considerably in the 2nd half?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Folks good to see that I kept you busy today.

Hammy tightened right up at about 15 miles so I had to slow right down as it got progressively worse. I knew from the start that it would as I could feel it but followed spoons advice and just ran at what I could until it happened.

Am still over the moon with the end result and somehow managed a very fast last mile.

Was crippled after.

Having a quick hot bath before I need to vacate my room.

Back on a little later.
  • Ah that is brilliant. imageimageimage A really excellent outcome, I'm so chuffed for you. I can't wait for the full debrief later on.

My LSR was 20 miles @ 9:22 avg but to be frank even I don't care about that today.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Back at Gard du Nord for train in about 40 mins. Getting something to eat as I am starving but also wrecked. Lower legs and feet a bit delicate. Funny the hammy feels ok.

Full report to follow. There were aspects of this that were nuts and the start was chaotic.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carl - well done!

I saw the start on TV.  It was a shambles from where I was sitting:

- I reckon some people must have taken an hour to get through the start, maybe more.

- For some reason the organisers kept closing one arch off.  I am guessing this was to help with clearing up bin liners etc, so is therefore understandable but you could see people getting frustrated.  The commentators mentioned that there were no toilet facilities in the start area, so it's not ideal if you've been standing around for an hour.  I noticed you got through okay though when I saw your 5K split.

- Right at the start there were loads of people (I am presuming media etc) in the middle of the road.  The elites had to dodge around them.  It could gave been nasty for the "second tier" of elites who would have been unsighted.

- Live on TV, within around 50 metres from the start one runner from the masses who was looking at his watch ran right into a camera. Hopefully he was okay, but he looked like he clattered it quite hard!

- The route wasn't really closed to the public.  At one point, there was a lady out for her run going along on the racing line.  The elites, which at this point were in a bunch of around 25, had to dodge around her.

Looking forward to seeing your report.  It looked like there was a lot of food (bananas, apples etc) available en route which I haven't really seen before.