RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Bruno - absolutely fantastic! Great race report - I hope you are enjoying basking in the glory this week! Would be great to see you in Dublin - might be a few of us from this thread there!

Robin Hood eh? I almost did the half there last year.... I have a friend now living in Mansfield and runs with Mansfield Harriers who was trying to persuade me to come over and do the half with him. He's a sub 1:30 HM man so I politely declined image

So.... looks like I'm next up to walk the plank ... I think?

4 mile recovery run tonight - first two 9 min miles, last two @ MP (8.25 avg).... felt really good, nice & loose and the MP felt easy. Feel like I'm in good shape - hope it lasts!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Ricky - how are the legs feeling today ? Limerick on May Day bank holiday aren't you ? Are you up for the Robin Hood marathon then ? Have you decided on your pace for limerick or are you leaving it til nearer the time ?
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Day 1 of my 5 week 10k training plan.

Did not run. Went for a meal out with some of my suppliers from work.

Good start to the training image

Have not quite settled on my plan as of yet. Most training plans seem to be based on 8 weeks so I am going to adjust these for my 5 weeks.

Am loosely considering the following :

Mon - 3m run with some strength training

Tues - tempo run from 30m upto 60m the week before the 10k

Wed - interval training 400m at race pace starting with 8 and building to 12

Thur - alternate between 3m and 6m run with strength training

Fri - rest

Sat - alternate 6m with 3m at race pace and rest

Sun - build from 6m to 10m with last quarter at race pace. Might slip an 8k time trial into this.

Thinking of trying this this week to see how I get on. If I can make it fit then I will go for it and my target is 45 mins.

Oops said it now so no going back.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Bruno - great work yesterday and great report.

So we are having a party in Dublin in October then. All we need to do now is convince Oirish to join us and we can have a right old knees up. image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - a very achievable target of 45 mins in my opinion, that's about 7:15 pace which you've done on your tempo runs in training before. One question though - you have a tempo run followed the next day by an interval session. Does it not work the same way as a marathon training plan where you shouldn't have 2 hard sessions the day after each other ? Or doesnt it matter as much as you wont be running as many miles when training for a 10k ? Also, at what pace do you run your other runs at ? I've not looked at a 10k training plan so don't have a clue !
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - I am thinking that it will all be about holding onto that pace for the last mile. I have probably done 3-4 miles at reasonable pace in marathon training and need to build up speed to be able to hold it for a little longer.

Mondays and Thursday runs are meant to be at conversational pace.

Tuesdays tempo run should have a build up and ease down so a 40 min tempo probably has about 20 mins of pace.

I guess the 10k is all about increasing your speed so back to back tempo and interval training should help with that eventhough it will feel a little alien after avoiding it during marathon training. But then I am not going to have anything more than 10miles in the week so it should be ok.

This is a first for me in terms of training properly for a 10k. I have done 10k's before but just ran normally rather than mix it up and do speedwork. So we will se how it goes.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - I bet it will feel strange to come home after your 'long run' and hardly breaking sweat ! You will also have a lot more time to spend with the family at weekends so that should earn you some brownie points.

I was just looking at the 3:30 thread and they have all been posting on there for a few years. With them sharing their knowledge and experiences, and with the ongoing encouragement they give each other, most of them got PBs at VLM and a lot of them have improved there marathon times significantly over the last few years. Hopefully, we will have the same results here if we keep this thread going.

• Carl D wrote (see)

So we are having a party in Dublin in October then. All we need to do now is convince Oirish to join us and we can have a right old knees up. image

"Convince me"? Dublin has all been part of my sinister plan for you all for weeks. I have my eye on a 100k in September so it may well be the gentlest of jogs followed by an "end of season" day or two on the lash. Or three.

• Carl - that plan looks good and 45 minutes sounds very achieveable. Make your tempo run pace your goal 10km pace. Make sure your intervals are faster than 10km pace (to make 10km pace feel easy).

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - I'm going for you to run 41:59 in your 10k !!

• Carl - I agree... some of your speed sessions you were knocking out recently would predict sub 45 is very achievable.

On the subject of predictions - I tried two online race time predictors yesterday.. one was Runners World predictor. I used Sundays 10k time to predict and they both threw out predicted HM times within 25 secs of my actual time in Omagh 3 weeks ago! However their accuracy for Full Marathon predictions I think is very optimistic as it predicts 3:33 - 3:35 - not a chance!

Oirish regardiing Dublin I'm just gonna say one word: Guinness

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Happy St George's Day to our Irish contingent out there. I shall be celebrating this evening with some Magners image

• Ricky - what was your half marathon time again?

• Happy St George's day one and all, I caught a bit of sun whilst out running today so have a vest tan, that is my attempt to honour my English cousins image

I am in the same boat as Ricky here my recent half time throws up a sub 3:30 prediction. I uttered two words seeing that and it wasn't oakey dokey. I did 1:38 and did feel on another day I could of chipped of another minute or two but sub 3:30? image

I did a bit of speedwork this morning on a grass 400m track which I recorded in KM so it's confused the hell out of me as I record everything in miles normally.

So warmed up with 3.25 km @ 5:56 avg and then did 5x800 fast 400m recovery which equalled 6k @ 4:18 avg. 

It was highly enjoyable, a change from the usual routine which really helped to freshen the mind and I felt fine throughout and finished it off with 2 miles (ahhhh miles) @ 8:30. This running in the sun malarkey is much more preferrable to those miles notched up in the snow I can tell you.

Ricky - i have four words; Guinness and more Guinness

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Cross trainer + stepper + rowing machine + bike + cross trainer again + a few weights + loads of stretches = gym = boring. Only another 3 weeks to go before I run again.

So with all the recent issues with this website it would take me ages to find who is racing next. I think it's Ricky @ limerick on 5/5 and Oirish @ halstead on ? and Carl 10k ? and spoons @ welsh trail marathon in June ?

Oirish - I bet mrs Oirish is having difficulty controlling herself with your bronzed body ??
  • Cheers Spoons that throws out 3:42 which is far more realistic.

Carter - You are right, she hasn't stopped giggling at me yet.

My Halstead & Essex Marathon is on May 12th.

• Spoons - my half was 1:42.31

Carter - yes myself on 5/5 and Oirish the following Sunday 12/5 I think?

Oirish - nice interval session. Strangely I did a very similar session this evening albeit on the treadmill. I hate treadmill running but have started using it for my weekly interval session which I find it useful for & the time seems to pass much more quickly than using it for a tempo run. Also it is in our Sunroom presently so is a very warm session and hopefully will give me some heat acclimatisation if Limerick is experiencing a heatwave on 5th May image

So 6 miles tonight incorporating 6 x 0.5mls @ 7.00 pace with 0.25ml recoveries @ 9.30 pace

• Spoons just tried that predictor link you posted - much more realistic: (do I have time for a sex change before Limerick? Seems it's worth 20 secs a mile!)

A half marathon time of 1:42:31 gives a marathon time of 3h54m13s for men and 3h46m32s for women     
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    I am being a marshall at the Sheffield HM on 12/5. It was too soon after Manchester so I thought I would marshall instead. In the 3 races I've run so far I have appreciated the support so thought it was time for me to give a bit back.

I've also been re-thinking my plans for the rest of the year. Originally, this incorporated a couple of ultras later in the year. With the ITB issue I've got I reckon i will end up missing about 3 months of good running so running ultras is going to be a big ask considering this is my first year of real running. So, my focus now is an autumn marathon, location to be determined. In the meantime, I need to build back up my endurance base and will probably follow Carl's idea of entering some 10k races. I also think I will take up the option of the half at lake Coniston rather than the full
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Having trawled back through the recent history, I reckon that going forward this year this thread is doing the following :

May 5th Limerick marathon - Ricky

May 12th Halstead & Essex marathon - Oirish

May 27th Bupa London 10k - Carl

June 22nd Wales Trail marathon - Spoons

July 7th Lake Coniston Trail marathon - Carter

August 10th Long Tour of Bradwell (53k 2300m climb) - Carter

September 22nd  Ladybower 20m - Carter (why not the 50miles ?)

October 6th Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th Royal Parks HM - Carl

October 28th Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

Big G - how are you getting on with things for your May 5th marathon. Last time you were on here things were looking a little better. Still the case ? and if you are I have forgotton which marathon you are doing (sorry).

If anyone has anything else to add at this stage just copy and paste.

We should probably keep a record of the PB's taht we are delivering as well just for fun.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

Carl - that plan looks good and 45 minutes sounds very achieveable. Make your tempo run pace your goal 10km pace. Make sure your intervals are faster than 10km pace (to make 10km pace feel easy).

Spoons - you are correct. My interval pace is meant to be similar to what I would run a mile race at so this is probably about 6:15mm pace.

Bit of a miscommunication in my house tonight. Was a bit later home from work tonight than planned and Mrs Carl greeted me to say that she was going to the gym. I thought I had booked my running slot but apparantly not !!!! So my 10k training has to start tomorrow night instead.

I will juggle this week and do the tempo run tomorrow with the intervals on Thursday, rest on Friday and then do Saturday and Sunday.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Just realised that I missed one. List now amended. image

May 5th Limerick marathon - Ricky

June 22nd Wales Trail marathon - Spoons

July 7th Lake Coniston Trail marathon - Carter

August 10th Long Tour of Bradwell (53k 2300m climb) - Carter

September 22nd  Ladybower 20m - Carter (why not the 50miles ?)

September 29th Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th Chester marathon - Carter

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Carl - I'm going for you to run 41:59 in your 10k !!

Carter - no pressure on me then. There was me trying to do expectation management and blown out of the water already. image

Sub 42 is sub 6:45 min/mile pace. That is lightening fast. 

Am going to have to put some 'speed' into my trotters to get close to that.

I could burst my hamstrings at that pace .....................

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Happy St George's Day to our Irish contingent out there. I shall be celebrating this evening with some Magners image

Carter - Hope you enjoyed that Magners.

Only been over here for 22 years and I can never remember St Georges Day. imageHope you all had a good one. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - just realised you posted while I have been writing a few essays on here. Will update the list tomorrow. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

I was just looking at the 3:30 thread and they have all been posting on there for a few years. With them sharing their knowledge and experiences, and with the ongoing encouragement they give each other, most of them got PBs at VLM and a lot of them have improved there marathon times significantly over the last few years. Hopefully, we will have the same results here if we keep this thread going.

Well said. Fully intend to hang about. So far we have supported each other to PB's in HM's, the full 9 yards (i.e. 26.2 miles) and of course Ricky's 10k. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    oirisheyes wrote (see)
    Carl D wrote (see)

"Convince me"? Dublin has all been part of my sinister plan for you all for weeks. I have my eye on a 100k in September so it may well be the gentlest of jogs followed by an "end of season" day or two on the lash. Or three.

Oirsih - 100k image 

• I have a couple more halfs that I will be doing - updated list:

May 5th Limerick marathon - Ricky

June 8th Larne Half - Ricky

June 19th Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd Wales Trail marathon - Spoons

July 7th Lake Coniston Trail marathon - Carter

August 10th Long Tour of Bradwell (53k 2300m climb) - Carter

September 22nd  Ladybower 20m - Carter (why not the 50miles ?)

September 29th Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th Chester marathon - Carter

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - as you are next up are you sure you have no niggles that you want to share with us. Cannot have you going off spoiling what has been a great wheeze in taper madness on this thread .......