RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Hi Malcs, it was much warmer when I did my run in Colchester last night, only wore a t-shirt and arm warmers (and leggings) and was fine, whereas usually I've been going out with 3 layers, although perhaps I've just adjusted to the extreme cold.

AndyA, sorry I forgot to reply to your question. In London I run 1 night a week as its my medium long run and if I waited to do it until I got home I'd be too hungry/tired etc. I work in the gherkin, so I go from there down to the river and run along the Thames path on the north- usually I crossover Westminster bridge and come back the other side but I decided to explore further this time so ran past Westminster palace and toward vauxhall bridge- it was just before vauxhall bridge that I tripped. In the summer, I will use the parks- usually I'd run toward new cross as I used to live there and do a lap of I can't remember the name of the park but not more than 2 miles from tower bridge. MIght also see if there's a nice enough route to venture up to Victoria park as well- also used to live near there- by far my favourite part of London- could always get a nice run in along the regents canal.

Are u a London runner? What routes do you use? I always found it was a great city for doing the Sunday long runs, but I find mid week rather frustrating with the number of other users of the paths...
  • If any body fancies some Parkrun tourism, the first Colchester castle park run is tomorrow... Starts near the band stand in Colchester castle park at 9am- bring your barcodes!
  • Well this is upsetting, i just wrote the longest post of my entire life and it deleted, here is my second attempt..... image

SARAH

how long have you been running for? - Only really started running (training) for this year at the London Marathon.

Have you just stuck to halfs before? I have run one 10k and 1 half before 2013. No real training for those, just kind of signed up and did them.

Have you been following any particular training schedule?  - I would love to say I have followed my schedule, but life started getting in the way, and I play football on certain days which clashed or made it too hard to complete a run with tired legs etc. In the end things have been fairly fluid, I have kept an eye on the various plans I have got my hands on, making sure I am keeping pace with the long run milage they say I should be at at any given point. One thing I do subscribe to is that every run has to offer something (this translates to me as it has to be really hard!). So I tend to do quite tough intervals or a high paced tempo run to build lactate threshold (if that’s even the right terminology) or ‘faster than I thought I was capable of long runs’. As e now know, some of that was potentially foolish, but we learn. I have to say, I have learnt a lot, I’ve leanr that my legs don’t work in the morning, I can go out for the same run at 6:30am as i have done at 6:30pm and the results / stats are incredibly different, I will put in the same effort and I’ll lose 30 – 45 seconds a mile from my legs. So there for I know that I need to get up a good few hours before a morning run (like the London Marathon) and the practices for that. So what Minni and Malcs says about always learning is absolutely true.

MALCS

“Sean - I used to think exactly the same thing. My logic was that surely to run 8mm in a marathon I need to be training at 8mm for all my long runs?

The problem with doing this is it completely knackers you out (if it doesn't then maybe your marathon pace needs to be faster)”

Always appreciate some advice, so thank you. I am definitely going to go out and take it really slow tomorrow, I will still have 15 days to recover before the marathon which should be fine. This Forum has made me feel a lot more positive about the training side, potentially too late now, but its helped my mindset going into the race, so that’s great.

• Sarah- Hope te physio went well. I will email about the stamp duty thing later- going on holiday to the lakes next week so may struggle to get online. If not I can give you a ring?

Minni- That is a beautiful part of Scotland you are going to. I spent a few summers that way as a Scout many years ago image Regarding Marathon training I am not laid back at all- I got a bespoke programme made which took account of work and on calls etc so that I could get all the sessions in. It wasn't very high mileage, and I suspect it might not work for a lot of people and possibly I blagged my way through, but I think I am getting generally stronger endurance wise by keeping up the running between training cycles. I struggle at times like now as I don't have a definate structure, so it is very much grabbing the opportunities to lace up when I can...

Sean- I think the advice Minni and Malcs have given is spot on. I have only done 2 marathons, but think that time on your feet rather than the distances is crucial. I am a fan of 'fast finish long runs' where you have a slow steady start and run the last 6 miles (say) at close to MP. That replicates the feeling of racing with fatigued legs. Whatever you do don't be tempted to go out too quick or weave- try to run at the edge of the road as there tends to be a quieter running line. It is difficult to hold back but pyschologically you will get more of a boost when you rein all the people that go streaming by later on.

With your half marathon time sub 3:30 is easily acheivable, but as long as the endurance holds up. Have you tried your nutrition/gel strategy yet? Worth doing this weekend as gels in particular can play havoc with your guts...

Malcs- Hope the house hunting goes well!

Have a good running weekend everyone, as I'm off to the Lakes for a week with Mrs K and the boys. Hopefully manage to drag them up some hills image

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Angela,

I work near Guildhall and normally run one or two lunchtimes a week. I do a similar route to you, albeit the other way round - I go over Southwark Bridge, along the south side of river to either Westminster Bridge (4.25 mile circuit) or Lambeth Bridge (5 miles) then back along the north side. I sometimes add an extra half mile loop at the start and end as well. I'm lucky that they are quite relaxed about me taking longish lunch breaks at work. I don't do much running in London apart from that because I normally want to get home in the evenings and don't want to come back into town at the weekends, although I play softball in Regents Park in summer so sometimes run there from work. If I want a longer evening run I sometimes jump off the train early and run the rest of the way home, although as I've mentioned here before it's a pretty boring route.  

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've had a bit of a mixed week this week. On Tuesday evening I did some hill reps and sprints which went pretty well. On Wednesday I had to go to Frankfurt on business so couldn't fit in a run. Last night I did 8 miles on the way home from work but it was a bit of a struggle - I was coming down with a cold which didn't help, I was running into a headwind most of the way, my left shoelace kept coming undone and my Garmin conked out after about a mile. TBH if it wasn't for the fact that I hadn't run on Wednesday I probably would have jumped back on the train at some point but I managed to keep going and I think I still managed to do the 8 miles at MP or thereabouts.

This weekend I'll be doing 4 easy miles on Saturday and 16 on Sunday. I'm looking at doing the first half slow and the rest at MP - does that sound sensible people or should I just take it easy for the whole distance?

• Hi Andy, lucky you-you're pretty close to that new sweatshop!

When is your marathon? If you're doing London, I would think that's perhaps a bit too much at race pace, but I divert to those more experienced on this forum...

I'm meant to be doing 5 miles marathon pace tomorrow and 20 LSR on Sunday, it's my first 20 miler, but I have a suspicion I'm getting sick. I hope it's nothing!
  • Hi Andy

I agree with Angela- I wouldn't do a run that long at that pace any less than 2 weeks before, and even then not at 50/50, maybe 60/40 steady/MP??

Angela- Good luck for long run and that sickness comes to nothing
  • Hi Malcs...I guess what isnt meant to be isnt meant to be. Im sure the house that you finally get will be alot better and more suited to you than the one you have just lost.

I like basic!

I will probably be doing the same as you in the final week as well, maybe a 4 and a 3 mile run...if Minni is happy with that....so probably even less than you...I want to be chomping at the bit when I arrive at the start line (but will still start conservatively)!

We had our second viewing and I love the house even more. The people who own it seem really nice as well, but then that makes me feel even more nervous about putting in an offer under their asking price...makes me feel a bit cheeky!

Good luck with your viewings tomorrow. I hope you find the house of your dreams.
  • Hi Angela, whats the snow like down where you are? Im guessing its all melted with the mild sunny day we have had today? I ran in thin tracksters, a t and thin jacket and I was so hot....this weather is so unpredictable!

Sounds like a lovely run you get to do from work once a week, im quite jealous.

I hope your well and not coming down with anything. My in laws are coming down tomorrow to stay at ours and my mother in law told chris that she has a cold...im petrified of her coming down now!
  • Evening Sean....wow, you must be a natural born runner, to have so little experience and be able to train like you do and achieve that HM time is amazing.

I like you use to think every training session has to be back breaking, I didnt feel I had done anything useful unless I was completely knackered and crawling back home.....that was until I came on these forums and have been mentored by minni. My training runs have changed so much. I would have never plodded for hours on end like I do now. Initially it was really hard (and sometimes boring) to slow down, but now im quite use to it and can become scared of going too fast, in the fear that I might jepodise london.

If you can do a 1:30 HM with little experience and training, I reckon with the right training you will be winning races (maybe not london though)!
  • Thanks Clive that would be great if you dont mind when you get back from the Lakes.

Were of to the lakes two weeks after VLM to have a trial walk up Scarfell pike.

Hope you have an amazing holiday and the weather stays good for you.
  • Evening Andy...it sounds like yesterdays run was training for the brain.....If you could keep going despite all those little obstacles, your sure to get through those last 6.2 miles in a couple of weeks time.

This week I did 10 miles today (7 at MP) and then im doing 15 on sunday at 1 min/ml slower than MP (well thats the aim). Maybe you could do the first 10 miles easy/slow and the last 6 at MP? what does everyone else think?
  • Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 14 (day 95), aim; 10 miles (3 m w/u, 7 m @ MP)

I went to see the physio and she was happy with my knee and so discharged me. Although she has told me to go back the week after london (when I collect my NHS orthotics) to let her know how I get on. She was also suggesting that I join their netball team as they are much closer to wear I live than the one im currently in.

After this I walked into town, had my eye check and then walked back to the car...roughly a 2.5 mile round trip....which im classing as a bit of a warm up and the reason why I ran my first three miles slightly quick.

I ran my usual route but turned round at the millennium bridge rather than running to the race course. It felt strange cutting my run so short (although looking back 5 months, I would have classed 10 miles as a long run).

I really couldnt believe how warm it was today, I was wearing tracksters, a T and a jacket and was far too warm....I might actually get to wear shorts on sunday if the sunny weather keeps up.

For the first 3 miles my legs felt a little heavy and achey, but as soon as I sped up to MP they felt great....I found this quite reassuring that this is the pace for me on marathon day (or there abouts)

Mile splits

1. 8:10 min/mls

2 8:08 min/mls

3. 8:12 min/mls

4. 7:46 min/mls

5. 7:41 min/mls

6. 7:39 min/mls

7. 7:51 min/mls

8. 7:41 min/mls

9. 7:39 min/mls

10.3. 7:39 min/mls

Average pace 7:51

At mile 7 I was running head on into strong winds, I had to put quite alot of effort in to even maintain 7:51 min/mls. As soon as I was sheltered from the wind, I looked down at my watch and I was running at 7:08 min/mls

I felt very comfortable running at between 7:39-7:51 min/mls so im planning on running at this pace at london, but more towards 7:51...at least for the first half anyway.

I had a sport massage this afternoon. My legs have felt great since, I really think it was well overdue!
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Evening, rest day again for me. I'm going to try a few mp miles on my long run this weekend, maybe an hour of my long run?

I'm sure in reality I'd hate it, but the thought of running through London always seems very attractive. Last March we were in Paris and I had a wonderful run down the Champs ??lys??es and along the river to the Eiffel Tower and back in the twilight.

Clive where are you planning on going? We haven't been able to get to the Lake District for ages, mrs p works out Saturdays, but now it's BST we can do a lot in a day trip without staying over.
  • Mr P- we are renting a cottage in Keswick for the week. Before we had kids we always used to go to Ambleside or hawkshead, but thought we'd try something different this time. Where do you live? I assume somewhere in north west if you can go for the day?

Hope to get some running done, but not sure what the locality around cottage is like

Have a good weekend everyone! Wish we were in Paris thoimage
  • AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, maybe I'll do the first 10 miles at slow/easy pace on Sunday and then see how I feel.

Sarah - that was a nice run yesterday, not too hard at first then a decent, steady pace - the kind of pacing you''ll want over the first 10 miles on the day.

Angela - yes, I'm pretty close to the new Sweatshop, it's in the building where I work! Good luck with your 20 miles tomorrow and I hope you're feeling OK. Thankfully the cold I thought I was coming down with hasn't amounted to much.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - thanks for your supportive owrds on the house hunting. Great to hear that your 2nd visit went well. Don't feel bad about putting in an offer below the asking price, it's almost expected. Unless it's a long way below of course. Always good to have a reason for making a lower offer too. You can say it's at the top end of your budget or if there are other reasons like updating needed, new boiler, wiring then use that. This can ease the guilt a bit.

Our first offer came in at 15K below asking price. We turned it down and said it was too far off. They then upped it by 5K and said they really couldn't afford to go higher. We said meet us halfway to what we really wanted (5K below asking) so that would be 7.5K below and they agreed. 

No harm in trying a low offer. They can only say no.

Btw. the main house we wanted to see today was sold even before we got there! It only came on yesterday! This is how mad things are down here.

Wow, if you can stick to 7:40/50 pace you will be flying. I'm going to start at 7:55 and see how I am coping after the first 5 or 6 miles. If it isn't comfortable I'll drop to 8:10 or so. Much will depend on the weather.

Andy - I'd agree with the others, definitely err on the side of caution. I opted for 14 miles today  progressing from 8:45 pace to 8:30 at halfway and then did the last 3 miles at MP (8mm). Enjoy your run, nearly there!

Angela - illness? Nooooooooo!

Mr P - have a great run tomorrow.

Clive - yes, Paris was not to be sadly image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

X post last night Sarah, that looks like a great run.

we live near Chester Clive, 10 minutes off the motorway so we can be in Keswick in 2 1/2 hours.  We camp a lot at Castlerigg but I would love to spend some time there in comfort. 

I think I messed up today's run a bit, I didn't start til late on, we've just got Puffy Junior's car insurance sorted and I went out with him for  a drive, he did very well bless him, he passed his test a while ago but I've made save towards the insurance.

So I was a bit out of my routine and my pace has been all over the place...

Distance    Split pace
    1.00    8:47
    2.00    8:53
    3.00    8:23
    4.00    8:10
    5.00    8:21
    6.00    8:12
    7.00    8:13
    8.00    8:16
    9.00    8:42
    10.00    8:24
    11.00    7:49
    12.00    7:47
    13.00    7:56
    14.00    8:10
    15.00    8:29
    16.00    8:17
    17.00    8:41
    18.00    8:55

I can only put it down to Wednesday's race, my quads certainly know they've worked hard today, but last week's 22 was far easier.  I am expecting a bad run nextr week, it is always a disaster the week before a marathon for me.

I'll have a little recovery while Mrs P is running tomorrow and then just follow my RW paln  next week and try to recover.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - Oops, I didn't see that your ealier post was yesterday! Those pacings look pretty good to me. Consistent enough. Was it a hilly run? I only ever feel it in my quads if there's hills, otherwise my main grumblings come from feet, calves and hips. 

I am dreading the day my two learn to drive. I really don't know if I have the patience to make it through the process. Out of interest how much is insurance for the average newly qualified driver these days? I'm guessing it's fairly significant.

• Hello all,

So I haven't yet run today though still thinking of going out for a quickie. Last night I decided to be a bit naughty, David and I went out for Chinese and some drinks- with the wedding saving and marathon training we haven't been on a date in months, so was really nice to get out and have fun. This morning was the first Colchester Parkrun- I'm on the core team and we got 128 runners! 80 of whom it was their first ever park run. I'm basking in glory of having done something good for the community.

Thankfully the phantom illness has amounted to nothing, I think I'm just noticing I haven't been on holiday since November!

Clive, soo jealous ur going to the Lake District- one of my favourite places on the planet... It's a 6 hour drive for us though, so a rare trip, but we are going in June- great trail challenge in Keswick- u keen?

AndyA ... Commerzbank?.. One of my clientsimage
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Good for you Angela! I went to the Delamere Forest parkrun with mrsP a couple of weeks ago, I will definitely make a habit of it after the marathon.

Malcs, the insurance seems to have come down dramatically. When we first looked a few months ago it was c. ??2400. We finally paid ??1100 or so with LV, some of the quotes were hilarious. He will be driving to and from work so he is automatically the main driver which raised it a little bit.
  • Thanks Mr. P, I'm just back from 3 miles at marathon pace. I've never actually run a Parkrun but always thought it was a fab concept- so glad we have one in Colchester now. Hopefully I'll get to run it one day! image
  • Hi Mr P, sounds like you had a lovely run in Paris. I cant believe that the ascics 26.2 team are there at the moment and will be running the marathon in less than 24 hours. Its gone so quickly.

Im not sure how long it would take us to get to the lakes, but I know were only going up for the day when we do scarfell pike in a months time so im hoping its not too far. Im quite looking forward to doing some walking and taking in the scenery.

I can remember when I passed my driving test. No one would take me out (as I had fallen out with my dad at the time), it took me 4.5 years until I first drove a car...the length of time it took me to save up to buy my first car and pay for my insurance whilst at college and uni! Puffy junior is lucky.

It looks like you got a good run in today even if you wasnt feeling the best. You managed a few marathon paced miles and the rest was nice and steady allowing your legs time to recover after wednesday. You have me worried about the race that im supposed to be doing on wednesday now. Its 5 miles like yours and will probably be quite hilly with it being out in lodge moor. Its a new course due to the original one still having snow on it. I was going to race it but now im concerned just incase it takes too much out of me...would I be best running it at MP or a mixture of MP and 10k pace...I just dont know what would be best to do. I guess the faster pace will keep me ticking over, but for 5 miles 1.5 weeks out is it too much?
  • Hi Clive, the first time we went to the lakes we stayed in Kewsick. Parents made me walk up great gable. I really enjoyed it there. Hope you have a fabulous week.
  • Thanks Andy. Glad that your cold hasnt amounted to much. Hope you have a successful and enjoyable run tomorrow.
  • Hi Malcs, we decided to go in at 15,000 less than the asking price. There were a few things that we thought needed some improvements and replacements and we had discussed it with the owners yesterday so least they were aware of what we had in mind with regards to things that needed money spent on. They said no to our initially offer and like you, they said that they wouldnt accept more than 5,000 less than the asking price. I said we could only do 10,000 less due to fees, stamp duty and what we need for home improvements etc and they accepted, although I think this was partially because those buying our house are buying it to rent out so we are not restricted in when we need to move out and could do it sooner rather than later. Im all nervous, excited and scared at the same time now as our mortgage will be double of our current one and there is so much work involved!

Im so sorry about your house. I cant believe how quickly things are moving where you live as our house and the one we have bought have been on the market for a few months now. I hope something else comes your way soon.

I hope I can stick to at least 7:50 pace but the thought of those last 6 miles still haunts me, so we will see.

Good run by you today. Ive still got my long one to do tomorrow, 15 easy miles....need to run off the frankie and bennies I had tonight!!

I had a patient telling me that it was ??2,500 to get her newly qualified son insured on her 1.1 l (cant remember the make) car!
  • Evening Angela, congratulations on a very successful park run, sounds like you had an amazing turn out especially with it being the first one, you must be over the moon. I think you deserve a celebratory night out with the hubby to be.....happiness and fun keeps you running better (im convinced)

Im glad to hear that your illness hasnt amounted to anything either....fingers crossed were all immune. Chris's parents are currently at ours. His mum has a bit of a cold and cough so im trying to keep my distance without looking rude!

I think you need a holiday. Ive had a few long weekends but not had a week off since christmas and I feel overdue so you must be.
  • Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 14 (day 96), aim; rest day

Well the excitement of my day today was getting an offer accepted on the house that we like. I cant believe that they have accepted it and we will be moving house within the next few months (subject to contracts...so it could still all go wrong).

I had a quick jog from the car to the bookies to put a bet on the grand national (one of my horses came second, the others were not placed) and then we went to frankie and bennies for tea which I now need to run off tomorrow!

Ive had phantom twinges all day today...but I dont think they are anything to worry about, just me being paranoid and developing the taper madness from RRR thread!

Good luck everyone running in Paris tomorrow.
  • A huge congratulations minni on a new 10k PB 42.42 is amazing, well done. How are the legs today? Are you running a long one today or just resting?