RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Hi Carter, thankyou for letting me know where you will be. I will keep an eye out for you. I was about to be stupid and say what will you be wearing...but thinking about it, it will be a high viz vest like the rest image

I will be in an orange and green maltby vest.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

M A R S H A L L will be written all over it image

I will try and not send you down the wrong road.......

• OMG!!!!! I have just realised a major major flaw in the timing of my no alcohol rule....

its a bank holiday weekend!!!!

How can I not go and sit in a beer garden with a pint on a bank holiday weekend?!?!?!

I might have to rethink this image

I know, I'll drink water too!! image

• Hello all,

did my Parkrun this morning and decided to pace David since his first attempt last week was pretty much bang on marathon pace.  I figured I could help by giving him a controlled start, allowing him more leftover to power through the end, but alas, it wasn't to be.  I didn't allow him to stop and walk after the energy sapping hills.  We ended up finishing slower than last week, yet with the sprint finish he had loads of energy left and overtook me, well I let him, still glad that I managed to control the pace despite almost the entire field surging ahead of me.  Met a few other people who'll be running Halstead next week too image

a week to go! Eeek!

• Well done on the controlled pacing today, Angela. Has David been bragging about beating you to the line tonight? It's great that you can share running together. Have you signed him up for a marathon yet? Only one week to go, how exciting. Marathon Talk did a bit about what to do the week before the race (I think episode 170 or171). They talked about preparing your kit and also how to prepare mentally e.g. On Monday imagine getting to the start line and how you will be feeling and what you need to focus on. On Tuesday spend time thinking how you are going to feel on the first part of the race, what pace you are aiming for etc. by Saturday you will be focussing on how you will feel when you cross the line. They explain it better obviously! It might help the week go past. I imagine you're are just raring to go and run now.
  • Morning,

Angela- hows the taper going now- not long.... That was good of you to let David 'beat' you yesterday, as always good for the male ego image

Sarah- impressed at how you're still churning out the results so soon after VLM. Shame I can't do Sheffield- will be grumpy at work thinking about it image

carterusm wrote (see)

Make mine a large Isle of Jura malt please !

Good choice!! Definately a fan of the islands malts rather than Speyside and Highlands...

• carterusm wrote (see)

M A R S H A L L will be written all over it image

I will try and not send you down the wrong road.......

M A R S H A L L.....is that you christian name or surname, lol ?

If you did send me down the wrong way, that could be my perfect excuse for a rubbish time....really cant believe how sunny and warm it is today...if its anything like this next sunday I think a few people (me included) may struggle. Although saying that I shouldnt complain, poor Angela will have to run a marathon in it and her race doesnt start until after mine. Would be nice marshalling conditions however! 

• Morning Angela....its so hard isnt it to let others past you when you know that your capable of wiping the floor with them....it will all be worth it when it pay off next week though.

I dont think that there is any problem with drinking alcohol during marathon training and up until the race...after all alcohol is a carb so may actually help. I had decided not to drink to try to help my sleeping pattern more than anything and to see if it made me feel any better/healthier, which it did, however I know loads of people who continue to drink up until mid night the night before a race "as it settles their nerves, helps them to sleep and is a source of carbs" image

Hope you enjoy your longish run today...looks like its going to be a warm one,x

• Hi Dotty, im sure runners world had that up on their website the week before london as I can remember reading it...although it got me more nervous and excitable than anything else!

Hows your running going? What are your plans for this weekend running wise and how long is it now until Edinburgh?

• Thankyou Clive. Its such a shame that you cant make sheffield half, especially as it will be the last year that it will finish at Don Valley. Work have a lot to answer for image

• Managed a steady 10 miles on friday, average pace 8:15 (range 8:05-8:20) and felt comfortable most of the way round. I found my feet slightly heavy and noisey on the pavement for the first 1-2 miles but after that I felt much better and enjoyed being out...longest run since london!

Yesterday we went over to the lakes to walk up scafell pike. This was a trial run and to help train for the three peaks that im doing next month. We decided to go from wasdale head, but on comparing the route from seathwaite, I think we will be doing the latter on the day, its slightly longer but less steep and stoney so hopefully it will not actually take much longer to do. The drive round to Wasdale head was pretty horrendous too with all the narrow roads, so we think that overall we will not save any time with going up the steeper route

Think today im just going to do my weights, a short 3 mile recovery run and clean the cars, before going to a friends house for a meal and drinks image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Morning, can you do mine please Sarah?

I know what you mean about that Wasdale road, we have been to Wasdale head but we didn't climb Scafell Pike that day, we walked along Wastwater.  We have been up the Seathwaite route though, we made a loop over Broad Crag and Ill Crag on the way back, I don't suppose you'll want to go that way, slow going.

I did a five mile tempo yesterday rather than parkrun and I've planned a longer run tomorrow before the Sandstone Trail on Saturday.

Are you taking any time off work before the race Angela?

• Dotty, thanks for the tip on marathon talk- I shall look out for it later tonight.

it was really tough not to go faster on the parkrun but on the plus side, even in the heat we had yesterday mornin with the excitement of running with others my MP felt pretty easy, and clive, it was even harder to let David beat me!

Sarah, I know what u mean about alcohol and sleep- I don't thinsuit affects me that much if its beer, but if I have wine late in the day I definitely feel it.  I might have a pub beer today or tomorrow but usually the drinking ban is part of my ritual- used to be what we did preparing for rowing races at uni, thou

I'm sure given it was 6-10 minute hard efforts every day for 4 days that it made a difference.

mr p unfortunately no holiday before though I will probably work from home on Friday so I can ensure optimal carbo loading. I do have Monday off the day after the race though.  I usually sleep so badly after a marathon that I don't think it's worth the effort to get in on time on Monday 

• Dotty, sorry I missed your question before.  I haven't signed David up for a marathon and I don't think he ever will.  he's more into the cycling and he'll be doing that 100 mile bike ride in August as well.

i didn't do my planned 8 miles today, instead we helped mum put her lawnmower together and mowed the lawn and played with the guinea pigs and generally enjoyed being out in the sun.  i'll be doing this hash run tomorrow night, so that should be enough to keep my legs ticking over.  I'm still feeling pretty ok about this race.  

i think because I was still ok at the end of my 20 milers and have also done a crazy cross country during this campaign, other than the odd missed run, I don't think I could be much better prepared, I just hope the conditions allow me to race at my potential.

nutrition program starts tonight with SiS rego night - vanilla flavour image

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Morning, can you do mine please Sarah?

I know what you mean about that Wasdale road, we have been to Wasdale head but we didn't climb Scafell Pike that day, we walked along Wastwater.  We have been up the Seathwaite route though, we made a loop over Broad Crag and Ill Crag on the way back, I don't suppose you'll want to go that way, slow going.

I did a five mile tempo yesterday rather than parkrun and I've planned a longer run tomorrow before the Sandstone Trail on Saturday.

Haha, was bad enough doing two...and then a brid came a long and decided to do its business on one of them!image

After taking the wasdale head route we have decided to go for the seathwaite route on the day. A friend said that it will take us longer as its a more steady incline but its better on the joints and not as dangerous coming down (if its raining)....do you think its a bad idea going that way?

It took us 2 hours to go up scarfell on sat (but we went a way that involved a little bit of climbing) and then 2 hours to get back down but we was stuck behind a large group for most of this so had to go at their pace.

Did you get your long run in today? Lovely weather for it

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Dotty, sorry I missed your question before.  I haven't signed David up for a marathon and I don't think he ever will.  he's more into the cycling and he'll be doing that 100 mile bike ride in August as well.

i didn't do my planned 8 miles today, instead we helped mum put her lawnmower together and mowed the lawn and played with the guinea pigs and generally enjoyed being out in the sun.  i'll be doing this hash run tomorrow night, so that should be enough to keep my legs ticking over.  I'm still feeling pretty ok about this race.  

i think because I was still ok at the end of my 20 milers and have also done a crazy cross country during this campaign, other than the odd missed run, I don't think I could be much better prepared, I just hope the conditions allow me to race at my potential.

nutrition program starts tonight with SiS rego night - vanilla flavour image

Least you got to spend some quality time with your family, which is always important. image

How did the Hash run go tonight?

• Hope everyone has had a great bank holiday! I've been working so very jealous! I had a nice 16 mile run yesterday at 8.30 average pace. Well first half was good, second part was into strong headwind. Ive still got a bit of a hip niggle so have bitten the bullet and booked my first sports massage!!

How was the Hash Harriers run, Angela?
  • image woke up this morning with a bit of a sore back on one side, my left side... Thought it was a case of a funny sleep and it would dissipate but when I did the hash run I could feel that familiar twinge in my calf that tells me if I push off too hard it'll tear, - the calf thing is connected to something In my back- usually doesn't bother me if I have regular massage.  So for the hash I had to run well within myself, especially as it was cross country and rather than being muddy, the trails were rutted with tractor tracks that had dried rock hard, still a fun social run and went to the pub after - almost broke my alcohol ban with a bank holiday pint, but they were out of San Miguel and kronenberg,  the only other option was carlsberg, which I deemed not good enough to break the fast with, so a lime and soda instead.

hoping the back tightness eases overnight otherwise I'm calling my massage guy!!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

good restraint Angela, Carlsberg is pretty grim isn't it?

I hope it all eases off before the weekend, it's good you know what it is and can manage it.

I did ten lovely sunny miles yesterday around the lanes and footpaths near our village, nice and slow for the first 8, i stopped to take some pictures then went a bit harder for the last two miles home. I'm off to the Gym tonight for my usual tready session then I will rest till Saturday. It's an early start so I won't get much recovery in if I run on Thursday.

2 hours is pretty good going Sarah, I knowwhat you mean about groups too, when we went to Helvellyn it was like a procession, but I guess it's like complaining about traffic, we're part of the problem if we're there.  I haven't been up from Wasdale Head so I  don't know.

I would like to go back and run the loop from Red Tarn up Striding Edge, across and back down Swirral Edge, I love the descents, I'd go straight down if I could.

• Thanks Mr P- I totally agree- have been having rather a lot of the alcohol free stuff over the weekend, and I swear i prefer it to regular beer, except perhaps Peroni on draft- what's weird is its pretty standardly available in all the pubs/bars in London I'm ever near, but back home, in the quaint out of the way pubs, its nowhere to be seen, and where it is available it never tastes that nice, I expect because they don't clean the pipes enough.

Having had a bit more of a think I realise the strain was probably caused by spending rather a long time trying unsucessfully to clip into my new clipless pedals on the bike, so hopefully a bit of ice and rest will sort it.  It already feels better today after a night of sleep, so I will get some ice on it when i'm at home, and some stretches too.

Jealous you live close enough to the lakes to make a day/weekend trip of it.  I haven't been for ages, but am doing the great trail challenge next month, so stayin with some family in Silverdale for a few days... then Alton Towers on the way home imageimageimage

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Is that Silverdale near Newcastle/Keele?

• Umm it's In Lancashire so I don't think so...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Evening all. 

Angela - nice alcohol avoidance. You're doing mighty well. I succumbed to 2 x spitfires and a Harveys on Sunday. Most I've had in one session since Christmas. Spent the rest of the day sleeping it off image

So, just a few days to go now. Weather is meant to be getting cooler so fingers crossed for you. The excitement must be starting to build now.

Sarah - 2 hours sounds pretty quick to go up a mountain. That said I am no expert. I remember going up Ben Nevis years ago. Thought we were doing a good pace until some nutter ran (yes, ran) past us. 

Will you be racing the 5 miler or the half marathon this week or both? image

Dotty - I think you're making the right call re. Edinburgh. What went wrong with your fuelling in London? What did you use?

I was working on Monday too, much to the annoyance of Mrs Malcs. At least I work from home. Do you have the same luxury or do you have to commute?

Mr P - I had another look at your route. Looks very nice indeed. Do you have a target time or are you just taking it as it comes? 

• Hiya Malcs, isn't spitfire a race u did in Surrey? Afraid I've never heard of either of those drinks... Perhaps I'm not so alcoholic afterall.

yes I'm getting very excited. I've never been so well prepared for a marathon and I shall be thinking of all your stunning performances to get me through the tough parts.  I started watching the bbc coverage of VLM- just got to the part where Tiki Gelana seems to be really struggling, perhaps because of her fall.  Luckily this course isn't suitable for wheelchair athletes, so I doubt this fate will befall me, however it does seem wise to attach a set of wing mirrors to my visor just in case...

4 days to go image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - if your worries have extended as far as wheelchair collisions then you know that taper madness really does have you firmly in its grip! Good to hear that you have managed to rule this out as a potential hazard, even if it's only because the course conditions wouldn't allow it.image

Spitfire is a particularly nice Kentish ale. Harveys is another one but from across the border in Sussex.

The last 4 days went quite quick for me - hope it does for you too. You're right, you are well prepared. You have no injuries and there's no reason why you can't perform exactly the way you want to. I'm quite nervous myself now!

• Yes, luckily my back strain has vanished too- an evening of ice on it and some stretching seems to have done the trick.  Might go out for a gentle 3-4 miles tonight to test it.

I'm currently reading Keep on Running: The Highs and Lows of a Marathon addict.  Very nearly finished in fact.  Noticiing all his mistakes, like trying to do all his training runs at race pace...

I managed to get a coveted volunteer role at this week's parkrun.  I will be photographer image  Hopefully that'll take my mind off the impending race the next day.

Been reading last year's reviews.  Delightful things, like being handed your own personal drink at the water stations (you would have left it in a box at the start), a meeting point for RW forumites, instructions to your spectators of the car park that has been set aside for them on the course, because that particular spot gives them the opportunity to see their runners 4 times.  I think this might become a regular one for me... only 20 minutes drive for me, and less than 30 quid entry.

Excited image

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I haven't checked in for a few days as things have been bit hectic at home and at work. I hope everyone is well.

Because of my sore foot (now OK thankfully) I left it until this Sunday to do my first run since the VLM (I've been pushing myself quite hard in the gym in the meantime). I did 8 miles and probably tried to go a bit quicker than I should have done because I was finding it hard going towards the end. It was nice to get out again though and it was a lovely morning. Then last night I went to running club and did an easy cross country run of about five miles, which was very pleasant.  

I can't believe you did a 10k PB so soon after the marathon Sarah, that is amazing. I have a 10k on Sunday week and I'll be really pleased if my legs are back in shape by then. After that I have a HM on 9th of June to look forward to.

Angela - I'm glad to hear you're feeling good ahead of Sunday, I hope you were taking notes on our carbo loading exploits and you have well stocked cupboardsimage. Halstead does sound like a nice race, I've never done it myself but I've heard good things about it from people at my club - there will be a few of them there on Sunday either running or marshalling. The "marathon addict" book looks really interesting, I will have to get a copy.

• Hi AndyA,

Do you think you still have the marathon in your legs- was the pace faster than you would usually do that kind of run?  I'm hoping to follow in Sarah's footsteps of a 10k pb.   I'm doing Bupa10000 on 27th May, and I have never beaten the time I set there in its first running in 2008- my first ever race!  52:50.  I was probably in good shape to beat it in 2011 after I did VLM,  but I did what seems insanity to me now, and ran with friends who just were nowhere near as fit as I was at the time, and they had each other to keep each other company.  I was sick of going so slow by the 3rd km, so left them behind and set a new 5k pbin the second half of the race!! but alas was quite far from 52.

I was carbo loading with ya'll in solidarity as VLM was the same day as my last 20 miler in hilly hilly france.

Will you come and watch your clubmates?

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Angela,

Yes I definitely still have the marathon in my legs at the moment - I did most of my run on Sunday at about the same pace as my long runs during my marathon training (or slightly quicker) but really flagged during the last mile or so.  

The BUPA 10k should be fun to do even if you're not fully recovered from the marathon by then, but I reckon 52 minutes is well within your capabilities so even if you don’t get a PB there you should manage it in your next 10k. Do you have any other races lined up?

I won't be able to get up to Halstead on Sunday, which is a shame as it would be good to cheer you on as well as my clubmates.

• Hiya Andy, least its just a case of recovering. I'm not yet signed up to any other 10ks but thinking of the felstead 10k mid July, otherwise got a load of races planned- the great trail challenge, Westminster mile, mersea island round the island race, Bacchus half marathon and Bournemouth marathon, oh and ride London Surrey 100 bike ride...

and of course parkrun as many weeks as I can make it!  Ooo and TR24 hmmm rather a lot- better improve my run Britain handicap!