Sub 3h15

Comments

• Urrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! Lurgy. Feels a bit like flu so shivers and aches but I managed 5 yesterday and will race tomorrow (entered a team of 4 so we need 4 finishers) so is not full blown flu: maybe a touch of man flu.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - good job I forgot to remind you then! Hope the cut-back week does the trick.
    MsE - how is Bruce these days? Nice acronym count.
    Poacher - bet you were relieved not to need a re-count then. Hope you can make it for Comrades.
    Leslie - good reps.
    PMJ - hope the lurgy doesn't take hold. All the best for tomorrow.
    First parkrun for 15 months this morning. Overcooked the first mile in 6:00, then slowed down to 6:30 for the second, with a bit more effort managed 6:24 for the third. They've changed the course and added a few metres (15?) for the last bit - done in 0:45. My watch said 19:40, but I was a bit late starting it. Pleased to get a sub 20 as I thought it would be touch and go. All in all, 8 miles @ 7:01 m/m, so a good session.

• Good sub-sub-20 there Gul. Get a few of those in the bag and sub-40 with a number on your vest for 10k becomes a whole lot easier.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul -nice time but why were you late -slept in ?
  • Good parkrunning Gul - sub 40 is definitely on the cards in the not too distant future.

Hope you're feeling better PMJ - careful you don't stress your body too much tomorrow.

Fast reps for you Leslie - which did you say is your next race?

Poacher - very much hoping you'll be out there!!!

I'm pleased to announce (!) that the insoles successfully swapped over on the Hokas and tested briefly last night (without glue!) so I felt confident to head out on my first long run with them this morning. I'm still not convinced that they're better than my Mizunos so may be reverting back to the tried and tested for Comrades.

Anyway, another 30 miler done and dusted - managed to get some good hills (including Box Hill and the side of Leith Hill) in there, as well as a short sharp 20% hill at the 28 mile mark. Legs are feeling a bit trashed at the moment, but it's now a case of taking it a bit easier and avoiding injury over the next 3 weeks.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

What are the chances of going all the way to South Africa and meeting someone who just wants to talk about glue all day long?? image  The 30 miler sounds good. You are going to be in great shape for the big day - now it's cotton wool time.

MsE is right - HTFU is never wasted in this game.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Lorenzo- nice 30 milerimage ,my race is 3 weeks tomorrow (Walled city marathon) taper time very soon image

If there is any HTFU going spare I will take some too as I'm fast  running out image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hurray on your sub-20, Gul!

Lorenzo - I was pleased to do nearly 10 today but the thought of another 20 just doesn't compute! Well done.

Yes, we all need to HTFU and FDI, FFS. Perhaps with the help of a HRM in some cases.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Quite so, MsE - especially we VoGits  . . . .

14 this morn - considered including parkrun, but (wisely) demurred  . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good parkrunning Gul. I was in similar territory, 19: 20 in the wind. I've been running on empty all week. Seems to be taking longer than expected to get over this marathon malarkey. 14 planned tomorrow for a 40 week.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Great parkrun. Comfortably sub 20!

PMJ - Hope the lurgy is not what I have, as I've been ill for 12 days and counting!

• Yesterday I ran 17:49  in Park Run, a day after I ran a 16 mile long run in 2 hours. Running Another 7 miles today will make it marathon distance over 3 days.

My marathon is in 5 weeks time and I want to run another sub 3:10 marathon in lead up to my target HM and Marathon races later on in the year. 

I am only 1 minute away from running sub 1:20 HM and now less than 20 secs off a sub 17 mins for Park Run.

I begin my 5 week taper for marathon now, no long runs exceeding 10 miles and running Park Run under 18 minutes every Saturday as my main speed work. A month ago I ran 17:18 and 17:21 in Park Run but did not run a 2 hour long run before both of those runs.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - sorry, I meant that I was late starting my watch!
    Lorenzo - excellent final very long run - not surprised your legs are trashed! Not long to go now.
    OO - good parkrun.
    Sub17ParkRun - that's a very impressive parkrun by any account, but after 16 miles @ 7.30 m/m is some going! Do you usually do a 5 week taper? That's not a strategy I've heard of before. All the best with your marathon in the middle of June. Do you have a target for your races later in the year?

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

0052-still a great time for most of us image

Gerard- get well soon.

SUB17-sounds like sub 3:10 won't be too hard for you, are you targeting (at least !) sub 3 later this year for you target race ?

Double run yesterday to bring me to 58 for the week image

Gul-official time nearer 19:30 then ? image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

00 - Hope  you had a good time in the lakes. Decent park running again - is all this racing getting in the way of your recovery?

Birch - solid 14 there

Gerard - get well soon

Lorenzo - that's a super long run, enjoy the taper...

sub 17 - you're fast on the park runs! DO you expect your 1:20 1/2 to covert to a faster marathon than 3:10, or are you chipping away at your marathon time?

Slowly building here. 8.5 yesterday at steady 7:18s and a running total of 19 for the week. To think, this time last year I was running that in one go most Sunday mornings! Early morning biking has concluded a pain free week

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

sub 17 parkrunner, your time is about my PB level for parkrun and half marathon. What we don't know is about your marathon pedigree and training. On the face of it 3:10 looks a modest target.

I had a shocker today, 14 miles hampered by hip pain. I decided to back off and slumped to 8:30 pace. Great to be back running with my LSR pals though- first time I've seen them since London.

Get well soon Gerard and PMJ.....image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice hills Lorenzo.
    Hope you're feeling better PMJ.
    Sub17...wow! Impressive times.
    Good parkrun Gul, well done.

Managed a 7.4 miler at 7.05 pace yesterday after I picked the new bike up from Guildford. Felt quite strong. Wanted to get a third run in for the week to kick off my summer regime of 3 runs, 2 bikes, 1 gym and 1 spin.

Have never ridden a road bike properly before. Took the new machine through Virginia Water and Windsor Great Park.Had a great time. Did 33 miles and could easily have done a load more.Surprised how good my legs feel. Just shows that running takes more out of the legs but then again, next week we head into the Surrey Hills!!

GD

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - no, 19:42! Nice tally for the week.
    Fishy - steady as she goes.
    OO - hope the hip is OK.
    GD - Sounds like you're going to enjoy the new bike.
    Another 6.9 miles with 8x100m strides d&d this morning.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Fishy- slow and steady is the right way.

0052-take it easy with that hip.

G-dawg- you will be a triathlete before you know it !

Gul- few more of those the times will tumble image

2 easy then 3 at 7m/mile ,pain in back of leg all stop image,bit of foam rollering and it doesn't seem to bad this morn

• sub17, times look a little skewed to me. I have run faster than 1:20 for a half and yet the same year I only just scraped inside 18 minutes for 5k. I also ran 2:50 for the full same year. If my maths is right, you ran 16 on Friday, just 3 on Saturday and will look to do 7 today to make 26: that means no warm up or cool down for a parkrun? 

I often think of marathons as parkrun equivalents, so a 3:10 is 22:32 per 5k, over 5 minutes a 5k slower than your parkrun. My 2:50 was 20:10 per 5k and so a couple of minutes slower than my 5k pace.

What is your real target? If you really want to target a fast marathon than sub-17 for parkrun is useful but not the best approach.

Lurgy rolls on but is getting better. I "raced" yesterday but the splits (6:20, 6:31, 6:47, 6:52 and 7:02) showed the way it was going and it was going down the pan. Happy enough at the back of my mind that it was an OK performance and 85th out of about 1000 looks good except that I am normally top 30 or so.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I know my 5k time is pants (18.37 road, 18.26 track, when 10k is 37.23 and half is 1.21.57), but I converted that to 2.49 for the full, sub17.  

8M on Saturday and 4M yesterday.  I'll do an easy 5M this evening as the legs are (just!) starting to get back to normal.

• Yeah, Jools is faster than me over the marathon: damn you 28 seconds. A friend yesterday said he did VLM in 2:52 as a V50 and I checked today (as you do) and it was 2:52:58. So the rule obviously is you are allowed to round down by up to 59 seconds isn't it: hey, I'm a 2:4x marathoner now and only needed 29 of those 59 seconds.

• Great Parkrun time Gul. I think most people go for it in the first mile. I think I need to do a parkrun soon, not done one since last year.

Good mileage Leslie!

PMJ, I think it is easier to just give hours & minutes for marathon times as it's shorter to say and most non runners don;t care about the seconds. Although I don't think Usain Bolt (or any other sub 10 second sprinter) can say they can do 100m in 9 seconds! It's all relative to the distance I guess.

Very impressive Parkrun and half marathon times Sub17parkrun. What is your marathon goal / race. Like others have said, 3.10 seem a very soft target.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

You're right KR. Last year I ran Brighton in 3.19.59 and claimed a 3.19. When non-runners heard my 'just made it to 3.19' tale they would round up and say, 'so you really did 3.20'. No! image

I would counter with the fact that Sir Roger Bannister ran the first sub-4 minute mile in 3.59.4. Nobody suggested, 'nice going Rog, but let's call it 4 minutes, yeah?'

My 3.13.57 at Brighton this year is only 13 seconds faster than what my running pal did. When I say that to him he insists I'm a full minute quicker.

Breaking the next minute barrier seems to be the important thing with distance runners, hence people with 59 seconds difference in time but sharing the same minute effectively having identical times.

GD

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    It makes a huge difference. For example, my 2:58:55 qualifies me to apply for an elite entry to the York marathon where females with marathon times under 2:59 are eligible. It matters! image
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well, if you want to be very precise, 2.49.40 chip and 2.49.51 gun.  Yes, I'm calling that 2.49 because distance runners do indeed seem to round down.  Don't know why, but it suits me!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I would round down for a marathon or even a half, but my PBs for 10k, 5 miles and 5k all end in seconds from 55-59 and I wouldn't be claiming (almost) a whole minute off those.

Not least because then if I got a 30-second PB over 5k, which would be massive, no-one would be impressed.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I don't round down my half because 57 seconds is quite a lot over 13.1 miles (and if next time I run 1.21.01 - although hopefully it will be better than that! - people will still be impressed).  I say just under 1.22.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I don't round down for my HM (1:24:15 or something like that) either. I'll be running my first 10K, post the Wilderness Years, in a few weeks! I am going to try a few 5Ks / parkruns too. I suspect I'll give precise times there image
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Bike report

PMJ - look away now.

Fun weekend of biking for me. Wet, cold and windy Fred Whitton sportive yesterday which was intended as a practice run for Wasdale X -aim was to be nice and steady and leave enough left to run off the bike. I thought anywhere between 8:30 and 9hrs would be sensible (based on last year's balls to the wall 8:05 effort)

Set off a bit later than planned and was dressed for the 17deg forecast - soon wet through and freezing but it's the Lakes so I should've expected it.

Cruised up Kirkstone and Matterdale and got some tasty speed up on the way down to Keswick. All well ahead of schedule but got a puncture at the bottom of Honister Pass, changed it then got to the top without any dramas, just starting the dodgy descent down a 25% wet road and the tyre blew again.

Interesting changing a tyre on a slope like that with bikes skidding past you for the duration. A kind chap on a quad bike went down to the bottom and came back with a track pump for me so I could keep a co2 canister for later (and gave me another spare tube) and off again (26mins total down time for the 2 repairs! Grrr. And freezing).

Uneventful for the rest of it up Newlands and Whinlatter then got caught in the mother of all headwinds coming over Cold Fell - very hard work. Struggled up 2/3 of Hardlnott before realising it was more energy and time efficient to dismount, quick scoot through to Wrynose Pass and up and over and then the home straight.

Another puncture with 7miles to go

Changed and tube burst before I even fastened the wheel back on.

Found a spare tube and a pump from a marshal and eventually got going again along with cheers of the spectators who'd been watching me fumbling about for 20minutes.

Cruised home for an 8:35 (which if I net off the 46minutes is significantly better than I expected for the level of effort). Stuck the bike in the car, popped on my trainers and knocked out an 8:20mm mile up a couple of hills without any problems.

Harder than necessary day with the weather and the mechanicals but a solid training day.

Wrynose or Bust sportive next weekend- more of the same!