Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good running there GD, not tried anything like that. 

Pleased to report a return to form at the parkrun after a solid week of training. 18.32 and 2nd place in field lacking quality at the sharp end. Hopefully I'm back from the marathon blues. Junior was 30 secs back, but in 6th place her highest ever placing.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Fishy: not really sure.  I suspect having the structure helped me, and I know that getting to my club's sessions for speedwork has also helped, as it's easier to push yourself to faster paces in a group.  Being more positive about what I can achieve has helped, too.

7M including 8 x strides this morning marked my first attempt at running 'fast' since VLM.  Cobwebs at least partially despatched! 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

morning all

Gul - - "Longest run of the week this morning (younger daughter's birthday tomorrow). So 24" 
    was relieved to read the next line was "laps of field" - momentarily thought you'd knocked off a near mara in training . . . . .
    As for your question - VLM was meant to be my swansong, but I now have the club V60 record (oh what straws we clutch at) a mere (!) 1 min 50 secs away . . . .

GD - fine relay work - tea & cake always a good reward !

OO - good return to faster running

MsE - I guess most on here would make interesting case studies . . . . .image
    naming no names (well ok, I'll name one or two) - -Blisters/Lorenzo/Poacher/BikeIt/madbark/SJ -  all fit my criteria - going further than 26.2, disciplines involving water and/or machinery, strange costumes etc etc oh, and 24 laps of a field probably qualifies . . . .
    (btw, SJ - bit too much info re nads  . . . . )

anyway, 16.5 this morn - 12 warmup, parkrun, 1.5 trot home. Unlike OO, legs still tired (3 weeks still not long enough from VLM), so around 21:15 (official times not up yet) - 30 secs or so slower than pre VLM, and same pace (6:50 ish) as my March half mara. So, clearly not recovered yet, but a good morning's outing, with the 12 mile warmup in lovely sunshine with 4 chums - what could be better?

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

If I had done a 12 mile warm up Birch I could not get near your parkrun time- great effort,  

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Bike it- a formality then thankfully its not complicated or you would be waiting a long time for a visa and don't worry about injury it will find you if it wants to image

Slokey-goodluck with the IM

0052-back on  Parkrun form then !

Birch- you can get your name on that Club v60 board image

Fishy-some strides yesterday suggested track today would be too much so I settled for some tempo instead 2 easy and 4 hard  2 easy , hard ones were 6:49 6:51,6:57,6:36 (first 2 were uphill) to make 8 miles .

46 miles for the first taper week !

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Great parkrunning OO.

Good to see lots of folks are well and truly shaking VLM out of their legs

Solid swim there Blisters.

Run/swim combo for me today, run 2miles to pool, 1hr of swim intervals, run up the local fell and back home - 9miles / 4000ft climbing. Hot and bothered. Curry for lunch!
  • Options

A 12 mile warm up Birch? Impressive to do such a good parkrun after that!

Happy with a gentle(ish) 19:37 this morning at the Banstead Woods parkrun. If anyone is in south London on a Saturday morning and wants a very attractive parkrun through the woods with one short sharp uphill and much longer gentle downhill stretches, then this is the one. 

Like OO, there was a 30s gap between me and younger Lorenzito - unfortunately I'm (still) not able to claim bragging rights.

Off to watch the Night of the 10,000 PBs now. image 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good running there GD, not tried anything like that. 

Pleased to report a return to form at the parkrun after a solid week of training. 18.32 and 2nd place in field lacking quality at the sharp end. Hopefully I'm back from the marathon blues. Junior was 30 secs back, but in 6th place her highest ever placing.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Nice park running from Lorenzo, OO and Birch (12 mile warm up!)

Jools - I like a structured plan and enjoy fast paced sessions (a bit slow with those at the moment). So I need to work on my positive mental attitude. (What has MsE done to us all?)

SJ - Hope all goes well with your WoB. Weather looks ok (bit breezy?), so long as you're back by mid-afternoon.

9 steady miles this morning. Almost double figures! No pain, so all good

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - 17 hours! Scary. 11 degrees probably more so. Definitely earned that curry.
    GD - sounds like a great event and an excellent result. Well done.
    Jools - hope you enjoyed the lie-in.
    MsE - great intervals. Exciting stuff with the MSc and new career!
    Leslie - hope the leg is fine. Nice tapering.
    Lorenzo - nice early start. Good parkrun too.
    Blisters - good swimming.
    OO - nice parkrun! Well done to Junior OO too.
    Birch - good run and parkrun to finish. I had wondered if you had changed plans after VLM, but didn't like to assume...
    Fishy - sounds promising!
    Had great fun yesterday up in the tree tops at Go Ape for my younger daughter's birthday. Just a short recovery run this morning.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Fishy (and others interested in how we progress beyond plateaus) - I read this in Competitor today about making breakthroughs:

"Desiree Linden

Unfortunately there is no big secret. Breakthroughs happen when you consistently put in uninterrupted work day after day. Have a plan that sets you up to hit your goals. As you work through the training runs and workout sessions, you’ll gain fitness and confidence that you’re prepared for the big race . But don’t be a slave to what’s on the page and be sure to listen to your body. Staying healthy is key. Listen to your body and learn what pain to push through and when your body is telling you it needs rest and recovery. Trust your training. Even if you didn’t hit every workout, your plan should be building your fitness. Running is a process so you may not see all your gains immediately or all at once, but keep putting in the work. It will pay off down the line.

John Honerkamp

Take risks—calculated and safe risks, of course. Take a leap of faith. Take a chance. Run an extra few miles. Go with a faster competitor in a race. Run a different distance. One related story about taking a risk took place when I was a junior at St. John’s. My college coach, Jim Hurt, was tired of me going out in the back of the pack and using a solid kick to win lesser races or to place top 5 in bigger races. At the 1996 Big East Champs, he gave me permission to finish dead last in the 800m race if I was in 2nd place at 400m. Al Royster of Seton Hall was known for taking races out hard. I stuck to Al with the thought that I was going to “rig” and get last. We passed 400m a little over 50 seconds and my 400m PR was 48-49 on a relay. Well, with 100m to go I realized that I was still in second and Al was starting to tie up. I ran 1:48:03—my PR prior was 1:49.5—for the win, beating six All-Americans. This time also qualified me for the NCAAs and the U.S. Olympic Trials. Glad I took that risk. A more boring answer is to do all the little things: stretching, eating well, sleeping, hydration, easy runs, massage therapy, etc. The little things add up to big results.

Mike Wardian

I think the biggest breakthroughs that I have had have been from consistent training. Working hard every day to get better than the day before and not missing days or doing huge miles one day and then nothing the next. Running is terrific in that you get better by running and the more you run the better it feels. I also know for me that I need to do some type speedwork /workouts to see big improvements which lead to breakthroughs."

The key theme is, again, consistency. image

• Options

Wise words MsE - I think everyone would agree with the benefits of consistent consistency but I also like the idea of calculated and safe risks. I'm going to try my hand at some shorter (e.g. 800 and 1500) Masters track races over the summer for a bit of fun - I can't even remember what my PB from 30+ years ago!!

Go Ape Gul? Definitely rather you than me. 

Fab time at the Night of the 10,000m PBs last night. The best bit was being able to stand in lane 3 and be touching distance from people metronomically doing sub 70s laps. You certainly get more sense of the speed when you're that close.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

I think we all  hoped these was a big secret or was that just me image 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

7 steady today - 1,000 exactly for the year to date.  

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Birch.. good effort yesterday, these youngsters don't realise that we have to do a 12m warm up before a race at our age image.  21.39 for me at the York Park Run, very strong winds on an exposed course so way off target.  You asked about this year's plans - York Marathon in October preceded by Vale of York half 3 weeks before that.  All my marathons to date have involved trains, boats or planes but I can catch a bus to those two events!

Nice Park Runs Lorenzo & OO52.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

MsE - Ahh yes...consistent consistency and a some risk taking. I shall add those to my positive mental outlook. I predict great things for your MSc and new career.

Birch - now that's what I call a round number.

Wardi - nice plans. Although I'm in the early stages of building back from an horrendous injury, my autumn plans are similar, but in reverse. GNR in Sept, which will be a first for me and also 5 years since my last half; and then the autumn Shakespeare in Nov (leaf out of PMJs training diary), when Mrs. F1 will be doing the 10k.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I haven't got a number yet fishy, but I hope to run GNR this year. Junior already has a place- I think she might get close to 1:25.

15 here for a 47 week

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Wrynose or Bust - done

115 miles, 9000ftplus of ascent, 7:31, 7th place

Headwind on the last 25miles image

Worked hard and spent most of my time battling with my front shifter which resulted in several climbs in the big ring which really wouldn't have been my choice. Short run afterwards: Big week complete! image
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great biking there SJ, but what is it with your bike's niggly mechanicals? Or is it an extra part of the overall challenge!

OO - I've tried through the GNR ballot a few times over the years and not been successful, so the irony of getting a place this year, when I was barely able to run, wasn't entirely lost on me. But building nicely now, so a comeback 1/2m, which finishes on the other side of the river from where I was born, has a certain symmetry to it.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Where r u from fishy- not north shields fish quay....?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Dropping in and haven't read back - sorry. But wanted to say I completed my first sprint tri today and bloody loved it. I was so nervous beforehand i actually burst into tears while queuing to get into the pool! Once in I found it fine but probably should have been braver when predicting my swim time as I was held up a lot - and ended up doing 24 lengths instead! Transitions were straight forward and I loved the bike. Run was off road of 1.5m up then 1.5m down. Finished 9 minutes faster than predicted even with the swim problems. Now I really want to do open water. image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I haven't got a number yet fishy, but I hope to run GNR this year. Junior already has a place- I think she might get close to 1:25.

15 here for a 47 week

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Congrats Minni! image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Sounds like a great idea for close-up spectating. And I can recommend Go Ape, unless you suffer from vertigo that is!
    Birch - nice tally.
    Wardi - you'd never be able to catch a train or a bus earlier enough around here to get to a marathon on time!
    Fishy - Autumn Shakespeare is on my list of possibilities for later in the year.
    SJ - congrats on a great result. That's all very impressive.
    Minni - well done on the sprint-tri. No holding you back now!
    8.25 miles this morning including hill sprints - not sure if you could really call them hills or sprints, but that'll do me.

• Options

Bravo Minni - sounds like you've got the Tri bug now.

Fab biking from you SJ - don't like the idea of being stuck in the top ring though!

"Easy" 6.5 miles with younger Lorenzito yesterday morning to bring up 47 for the week. I managed to keep up with him up until the last half mile (albeit constantly telling him to slow down) and which point he pulled away and left me for dead. Kids these days - no respect for their elders!

Commuting run this morning.

• Options

Staines 10k yesterday and 39:56 to scrape a sub-40 but still not over the lurgy. Faded again as per last Sunday so 5k in 19:28 and 5 miles 31:42 but hard over the last 2k and even slipped out the top 4 in my club so no team prize. Races thick and fast at this time of year so not long to mourn before in action again.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Excellent work Minni! Pleased that a) you didn't drown and b) put in a cracking performance image Have you been analysing all of the little gains you could have made yet? It's an addictive sport!

Recover well in between those races PMJ.

Fishy, my bike gets a fair old beating and deserves a service. Plus it's good practice for dealing with issues on the fly and managing yourself over a long day - all good practice for when it counts.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Still a great time, PMJ.  I have my first post-marathon race in a week and considering I am nursing a tetchy Achilles today and (sensibly) abstaining from my run, it is not looking too hopeful... image  Hopefully, I'll feel up to my 12 tomorrow.

Not long now, Lorenzo... image

Gul - hill sprints at Gul O'Clock is a seriously impressive feat regardless of the pace (which I am sure was quick knowing you!)

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great bike work SJ, really impressive.
    Well done Minni on the sprint tri. I want to give that a go this year.

I followed up my Thursday night race with track intervals with a mate on Friday afternoon. Not my best short pyramid reps but job done.
    Then it was out on the bikes with my lad first thing Saturday morning. 42 miles with 2400ft of uphill work including the biggest in the south, Leith Hill.

Stayed in the saddle all the way and had a jolly old time. Loving the bike work.
    Rest day yesterday, mainly due to a hangover and then 5 miles at 7.05 pace today.

Mixing the two sports is a struggle at the moment but I'm slowly getting some running enthusiasm back. This week I have to squeeze my sessions around the Test Match at Lord's on Thursday and the BMW PGA golf at Wentworth on Saturday. Beer will be involved at both! image

GD